• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I posted a bit about this in the Steam thread. To my knowledge, three people have completed the game. One says they will post their full impressions in a bit, but the game is, "Great."

One says the game is just as good as RE4, one says better. Going by time claims, the game id 14-18 hours the first time. (I will place my bets on 12-18 as I bet some will rush it).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really have a horse in this race, but it seems like the viewpoint change won't really be noticeable in the heat of combat. It reminds me of Gears. Your eyes will be focused on the reticule, not the character or weapon model.

Grief.exe

Would you care to elaborate on why it's a deal breaker?

Question: Wouldn't you rather thrust the people making the game to make the correct decision, rather then a perceived correct decision based on footage and not hands on gameplay from you?

To be fair, these are the same people who keep pushing 30 FPS as a positive from a gameplay perspective.

Technically, the zoomed in perspective is worse for gameplay, but better for tension. You cannot see threats around you as easily, which makes it more difficult to asses threats, but increases the danger of a situation.

Two quick things from the guy on PS3 who's finished the game;

In New Game+, there is a chapter select.

Akumu Difficulty description reveals one of the reasons why the difficulty is so difficult.... In Akumu difficulty, one hit from anything will kill you.

KwEwSq8.jpg

Mupod

Akumu Difficulty description reveals one of the reasons why the difficulty is so difficult.... In Akumu difficulty, one hit from anything will kill you.

meh. I generally hate modes like that. We'll see when I'm playing.

Still hoping we find a code or debug command to unlock hard (I guess it's called nightmare?) for a first playthrough.

-MD-

Technically, the zoomed in perspective is worse for gameplay, but better for tension. You cannot see threats around you as easily, which makes it more difficult to asses threats, but increases the danger of a situation.

Better tension, increased danger/ higher threat? Sounds like gameplay improvements to me.

This is a survival-horror game after all isn't it? I think people really want this to be RE4-2 and it just isn't that.

The Order puts cinematic flair above gameplay - GAF gets out the pitchforks and torches.

The Evil Within makes changes to improve the gameplay at the expense of cinematic flair - GAF gets out the pitchforks and torches.

do you have any examples of an individual member having both the opinion that The Order putting cinematic flair above gameplay and TEW making changes to improve the gameplay at the expense of cinematic flair are problems?

Wish I could get this when it drops, but I start training on Monday so I can deal with waiting just a few more weeks for my first check. I mean it's still going to suck but at least there is no more uncertainty.

Apdiddy

The Platinum (or 1000/1000) for this and Alien Isolation are going to be the toughest things to take on.

Can't wait until next Tuesday.

Sanctuary

Aside from random encounters that burst through a door that might be beside you, it seems like the solution to that is simple: don't get surrounded. You'd probably be dead on the higher difficulties if that happened anyway.

Of course I haven't actually seen enough of the level layouts to know if that's even possible for the majority of the game.

Pretty hyped for Tuesday! Went and picked up a pair of Sony Gold headphones in preparation.

I hope those work out for you. I can never go back to the all in one headphone solutions for gaming.

So, the regular switching from cinematic TPS to FPS isn't jarring? Or break immersion, particularly for your RE4 veterans? (Haven't played it yet, inquiring)
Not in the slightest for me. Though when it comes to shooting, I'm totally "in the zone" I don't have time to think about "I wish this showed Sebastion more" Instead it's "Holy shit...DIe... crap... low on ammo... run!" lol Also when you do the quickshot the perspective stays back like normal gameplay. Also I won't spoil it but the death scene when Laura grabs you is.. O_O.

DSmalls84

Aside from random encounters that burst through a door that might be beside you, it seems like the solution to that is simple: don't get surrounded. You'd probably be dead on the higher difficulties if that happened anyway.

Of course I haven't actually seen enough of the level layouts to know if that's even possible for the majority of the game.

I hope those work out for you. I can never go back to the all in one headphone solutions for gaming.

So far I have only used them with Mordor but they sound pretty good. Definitely an upgrade over my TV speakers. That and they are way more comfortable than the headset included with the PS4.

Sanctuary

So far I have only used them with Mordor but they sound pretty good. Definitely an upgrade over my TV speakers. That and they are way more comfortable than the headset included with the PS4.

Just about anything is better than TV speakers; especially my TV speakers. I have a nice plasma with an amazing picture, yet I swear it has the absolute worst speakers I have ever heard. The speakers on my monitor actually sound better, and they are shit too. If you really want some impressive and immersive sound while gaming with headphones, there are much better options. But it would also cost around 5x - 8x as much as what you paid for the Sony set. Amazing for movies too though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The one to blame is Bethesda, I do not understand their policy really.
So is it confirmed then? Fuck them on this one.

Does it at least have English subtitles? My French isn't good enough to play through the game without them.

My copy already shipped too. Fuck. God damn it Bethesda.

If this copy arrives is it OK to just pirate the PC version in return? That's what I feel like doing now (OK, won't do that). Really fucking angry at them for this.

I can understand your anger, I was pretty baffled too yesterday, after I asked my shop, and read on another forum that this game does not have English at all.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I just found out that the game is called Psycho Break in Japan.

Total deal breaker

Pre-order cancelled.

I mean, if they're changing the name of the game, who knows what else the team decided to change last minute.

;), for all the drama queens in here, lol

Top Bottom