• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate |OT|

Volcynika

lfpPV8w.png

FJYSXU2.png

• Platform -- PlayStation Vita
  • Genre -- Rogue-like
  • Publisher --
    • North America -- Aksys Games
    • Europe -- Aksys Games
  • Developer -- Spike Chunsoft
  • Website -- Official Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate Website
  • Release Date
    • North America -- July 26th, 2016 (Physical / Digital)
    • Europe -- July 26th, 2016 (Digital)
  • Box Art
    6dkwUAA.png
  • Limited Edition
    YOQmP4M.png
    • Shiren The Wanderer Series 20th Anniversary Hardcover Art Book
    • Nonary Bracelet
    • Nonary Display Box
    • Limited Edition Soundtrack

AuB1CeG.png

SdecxN5.png

Cfzqs5E.png

eNU2Cf1.png

• Question: - What details of this game make it a rogue-like?
  • Answer: - Easy way to answer. You make your journey forward, but should you die, you lose everything!* Well, mostly everything. You can use the systems of the game to store items/money/etc. But the risk is high, but reward can be even sweeter!

• Question: - Which Shiren is this? There are so many!
  • Answer: - This game is an enhanced/extended version of Shiren the Wanderer 5, known as Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus.

• Question: - Any multiplayer options?
  • Answer: - A few. There is a co-op mode for dungeons, a way to battle against your friends, and a rescue system. If you fall while exploring, you can send out a rescue request and hopefully a friend can come and revive you on the spot!

• Question: - Why no subtitle Volc, disappointing
  • Answer: - BECAUSE THE GAME NAME IS TOO LONG. :mad:

Aeana

I skipped this on DS back when it was originally released due to scheduling conflicts. I'll still have a hard time fitting it in this year, but I'm not gonna miss it again.

Bleep

I'm super happy this is getting an English localization. The original Shiren for DS / SNES is one of my favourite games. Looking forward to grabbing it as soon as it goes up on PSN!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm thinking of buying this but here are a few questions:

1. Is this anything like Azure Dreams?
2. Is there a town building aspect in this game?
3. How brutal is this game?

in in in

I've been playing the OG Shiren DS over the past couple days to whet my appetite a little bit. My Vita will appreciate the love.

Aeana

It's somewhat similar to the tower part of Azure Dreams. There's no town building. It's pretty difficult. In the Shiren games, you lose everything on you if you die, unless you can manage to get rescued by another player.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Great OT!

Not my pic, but got the canvas painting of Gen-san when it was originally released in Japan. Best purchase ever lol

P0156159_1.jpg

Hope folks enjoy the game wonderfully stressful as a Shiren title should be.

I forgot I had this pre-ordered, and Amazon just shipped my copy. I'm kinda regretting it because I won't have time for months, but maybe I'll make some room...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Yay, Shiren The Wanderer OT! Great job, Volcynika!

1 & 2: Similar, but no town building aspects like Aeana said.
I love Azure Dreams though! (both on PS1 and GBC haha)

3: It's your usual rogue-like hard factor, however~
Early game spoilers:
Jirokichi does have the ability to save your equipment should you "die" in a dungeon as long as he's still alive at the time. When you find him again in the dungeon, he'll give your lost items back to you.

You also are given 3 rescue requests when you die, for other players to rescue you in a dungeon :)

Also, there are case sensitive passwords you can give to a certain Raccoon later in the game for bonus items, etc.

One of which is Nonary Game. We'll be releasing more very soon!

Whoa, I had no idea there was an LE for this.

Yup! It includes the LE box with separate box art from the standard edition of the game, the Nonary Bracelet and box, the 10 track soundtrack, and the 64 page Shiren The Wanderer series art book which spans the various games :)

Gonna be delivered tomorrow!
Really looking forward to it.
I just wish the coop had Wi-Fi capabilites, as from what I read it's all ad-hoc.
I mean, P4G on Vita had WiFi rescues, even Pokémon Mystery Dungeon on the GBA had password rescues so anybody could do it.
It's just an annoying limitation on a niche game on a niche system that means most people will never get to take advantage of the coop stuff.

Aeana

3: It's your usual rogue-like hard factor, however~
Early game spoilers:
Jirokichi does have the ability to save your equipment should you "die" in a dungeon as long as he's still alive at the time. When you find him again in the dungeon, he'll give your lost items back to you.

You also are given 3 rescue requests when you die, for other players to rescue you in a dungeon :)

Ah, I wondered if they added any sort of replacement for the easy mode that was introduced in Shiren 3. It wouldn't make sense to do away with the concept completely.

autoduelist

I meant to cancel this preorder to save money, but forgot. And I'm glad I forgot... I have no experience with 'mystery dungeon' games, but I love roguelikes like nethack/stonesoup/tome/et, and am hopeful this game presents the same level of complexity/challenge after being sorely disappointed with Sorcery Sage [cute, but way, way, too simple].

shmoglish

What a beauty. Never played any of the shiren games,but I am always interested in Rogue likes and this seems to be one of the better games of this Kind. Think I am gonna jump in when I am done with my god of War Run.

Volcynika

How well does this play on the PSTV any way? Will lag be a problem?

Aside from non battle areas, lag shouldn't matter. The game is entirely turn based (you make a move / all enemies make a move). So even if there was lag, it shouldn't affect your gameplay in a negative way.

I heard this is rogue like. Does that mean it's one of those games where I lose everything and have to start over if I die?

Mazre

Easily one of my most anticipated titles this year, sunk 280 hours into Shiren DS. Does this entry include a Final Puzzle style bonus dungeon?

Top Bottom