• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Shirtstorm' Leads To Apology From European Space Scientist

Status
Not open for further replies.
5Ue19ny.png

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/10/17/356944145/episode-576-when-women-stopped-coding

The exodus of women from technology has become very important as tech has started to become a constant in every single person's life in developed countries. Women in tech matters a whole lot more than you think.

Just how many male scientists are wearing this shirt? Fuck.

Tesseract

Banned
It doesn't necessarily propagate, but it does arch back to characteristically objectifying imagery of women, and in a context which is sensitive to gender related subjects, the shirt's content is particularly subject to scrutiny. I don't feel any of this actually excuses the straight up bellic controversy surrounding it, and the guy seems like a very nice dude who didn't mean any harm whatsoever (dude even teared up while apologizing, he's probably one big softy bear man), so it was probably just a lack of tact on his part.

Well shit now i'm mad that they made him feel so bad.

or a lack of tact on everyone else's part.

;0

One of which is pointing a gun, threateningly, at the viewer.

a threatening shirt gun!

hohoXD123

Really. I don't recall this scientist guy getting graphic death/rape threats or getting his address posted online because he wore the shirt.

But you should recall the scientist guy being called a bearded idiot, asshole, and having his hard work dismissed. You need to expand your definition of online bullying.

Brakke

Banned
It doesn't necessarily propagate, but it does arch back to characteristically objectifying imagery of women, and in a context which is sensitive to gender related subjects, the shirt's content is particularly subject to scrutiny. I don't feel any of this actually excuses the straight up bellic controversy surrounding it, and the guy seems like a very nice dude who didn't mean any harm whatsoever (dude even teared up while apologizing, he's probably one big softy bear man), so it was probably just a lack of tact on his part.

Well shit now i'm mad that they made him feel so bad.

I agree. He blew it and then he felt bad and apologized. His apology seemed sincere, I don't hold any ill will toward the dude except to roll my eyes a bit at his lack of tact.

Just how many male scientists are wearing this shirt? Fuck.

0e62aa7c449bd4cbc5d50184c9f2edcf.jpg

Publicidades-retro-de-computadoras-1.jpg

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
This is a non-sequitur. You aren't making sense.
There's alot of posts in here decrying the verge article specifically. When you compare the thread to gamergate, who knows specifically what you're referring to. I guess I would suggest adding some level of specifity to your post.

That's a pretty cool shirt for a scientist in my opinion but then i'm old fashioned (but not too old fashioned of course because then i would have to be offended again).

Silky

Banned
It's a shirt. If there's obviously no sort of dress code at where he works then he's entitled to wear wherever the fuck he wants.

I really can't feel sympathy for people who were offended by a tacky shirt.

PnCIa

I edited this post a lot, it was a lot longer once. I think it all comes down to: it is a fucking shirt you morons. He didn't blew shit. If he appologized, that person that supposedly called him a bearded asshole should do the same.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's a shirt. If there's obviously no sort of dress code at where he works then he's entitled to wear wherever the fuck he wants.

I really can't feel sympathy for people who were offended by a tacky shirt.
There's no dress code where I work. You still wouldn't see anyone in a shirt like that

And yeah, I the nk the guy is fine. No broad jusgements here, glad he apologized, just annoyed at people who think there's nothing to be upset about

What a load of garbage. That Verge headline in particular, get fucked.
Yup. I remember this as their full-on, head first dive into buzzfeed/gawker levels of 2nd teir'ism. When a male writer says something like that (the title), it feels so phony to me. Pandering. Maybe a way to impress female coworkers? Normal men don't think like that on their own, in my experience.

There have been shirts and especially boardshorts for years. I thought of them as cheezy and tacky. His biggest mistake is wearing his present. Makes me sad he had to apologize.

Yup. I remember this as their full-on, head first dive into buzzfeed/gawker levels of 2nd teir'ism. When a male writer says something like that (the title), it feels so phony to me. Pandering. Maybe a way to impress female coworkers? Normal men don't think like that on their own, in my experience.
You just wrote out the "white knight" dismissal.

There's no dress code where I work. You still wouldn't see anyone in a shirt like that

I work in a government building, where there is no dress code. Absolutely nobody would blink twice at this shirt.

At most it would get poked fun at because it's not very minimalist which everyone's clothes in Scotland seem to be these days (no pictures/logos/multi-icolours).

KHarvey16

There's alot of posts in here decrying the verge article specifically. When you compare the thread to gamergate, who knows specifically what you're referring to. I guess I would suggest adding some level of specifity to your post.

How is it not clear? I used the word dismissive...what are people being dismissive of if not the concern for what the shirt represents? What does what I said have to do with infallible feminists? I don't understand.

The unwillingness to consider that the shirt may in fact be indicative if an actual problem is exactly what powers gamergate. People roll their eyes. I've already seen a handful of posts where you could swap PC or white knight or internet paladin for SJW and nothing would change. It's the same shit attitude here as it is there.

Silky

Banned

And yeah, I the nk the guy is fine. No broad jusgements here, glad he apologized, just annoyed at people who think there's nothing to be upset about

Honestly, and I'm sorry if you feel otherwise, but there really isn't anything to throw arms up at imo.

Averon

The Verge article was pure click bait to me. The article's title was so outlandish that I cannot believe they didn't know the reaction they would get.

Brakke

Banned
Hm these ads are from the 60s and 70s aren't they?

Maybe this sexy ad campaign caused a surge in women in STEM? The shirt was trying to help.

Well that was just a trivially-quick image search but I'd expect gender representation to be a trailing indicator anyway. As the NPR story says,

Kenney continued, "What's so striking about them, besides the super-cheesy 80s music, is men and boys. In this Commodore 64 ad, there's sort of this dorky 12-year-old, sitting at this computer, and he gives this finger salute to the camera. In fact, in most of these ads, it's just men, all men."

"Actually there was one woman in this ad," Henn added. "She was in a bikini and she was jumping into a pool."

It's very much worth listening to.

Chumly

Why do people wear things that can be provacative when they are going to be in front of massive media publicity. I mean seriously..... Hmmm I might be interviewed today. Maybe I should wear half naked babes on my shirt.

JDSN

Banned
So...I saw the video and the dude is tearing up as he apologizes, so maybe he is not apologizing because of the headlines or the backlash or anything of that nature, maybe he just realized through introspection and hindsight that it was a bad move that painted him, a good person, as something he is not?

If so, why are people so salty that he apologized and actually wish he hadnt?

Waiting for The Onion article about the WW2 pilot so distressed and saddened about the half naked pinup on the fuselage of his bomber while ignoring that he dropped bombs on people.

destx

I think it's a funny shirt, but I'm not sure if he's wearing it to be funny.

Really it would be ideal if the next probe was wearing a giant customised shirt with sexy dudes all over it like the ones in this thread. I guess you could just paint them on if the cloth is getting tangled is a problem but it just wouldn't be the same.

besada

Banned
Frankly, Matt Taylor seems like a great guy. I think he made a poor choice to wear a shirt coveted in scantily clad ladies for an enormous, professional, global press conference.

But, his apology seems heartfelt and sincere, and simply owning a sexy shirt isn't a reason to make assumptions about his character.

I do always find it a little bizarre to see people coming out of the wood work to "defend" him, when he's acknowledged it was a bad choice, apologized, and isn't looking for a defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom