• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: 2014 FIFA World Cup Announced (PS360 Only)

bombshell

Red card if old.

A PlayStation 4 and Xbox One version isn't planned, but, according to a tweet from the official EA Sports FIFA account, World Cup content will make its way into FIFA Ultimate Team in FIFA 14 somehow.

Why not bother with a next-gen version? In EA's words: "We are making the best game we can for our largest audience, which is still on 360 & PS3."

gpeydc.jpg

EA SPORTS 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil is a standalone product due out on 17th April in Europe and 15th April in North America for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. No other platforms were mentioned in today's note to press, which seems odd, since you'd expect a PlayStation 4 and Xbox One version at some point.

EA promised new gameplay improvements. Buzzwords this time around include Response Dribbling and Pinpoint Passing. There are 100 new animations.

As an officially licensed World Cup game it includes 203 national teams, 7469 players, 19 officially licensed managers, 21 new stadiums and all 12 stadiums from Brazil. There are new crowd scenes including banners, flags and seat cards. There are live city events, too, so if you score a goal with England you'll see the fans react in London.

More at link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-06-ea-announces-2014-fifa-world-cup-brazil-game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm guessing they feel that the people who buy Day 1 next-gen consoles aren't the audience that buys two soccer games a year.

Cheech

This is galling. I was looking forward to this game, a LOT, on my PS4.

What the hell, EA. I guess I'll spend my $60 elsewhere.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm curious how this will sell. Given the attach rate for FIFA 14 on Xbone and PS4, I wonder if this is a wise decision?
And no PC, why?

kudoboi

I'm curious how this will sell. Given the attach rate for FIFA 14 on Xbone and PS4, I wonder if this is a wise decision?
And no PC, why?

fifa was never well supported on PC. Fifa 14 on PC is still based on the last gen version claiming that most PCs wouldn't be able to run the PS4/ xbone version

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
fifa never supported PC well. Fifa 14 on PC is still based on the last gen version claiming that most PCs wouldn't be able to run the PS4/ xbone version

I know, that's why I ask. Given the fact that this is running on PS360 engine it could have easily be ported to PC, like the gimped version of FIFA 14, no?
Unless they are finally bringing a proper version for FIFA 15 for PC. But still, it's not like they don't have the engine already.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Typical EA bullshit. I love FIFA still but I'm tired of this crap, I'm not supporting.

EA also makes my decision easier by not having a PS4 version, thanks guys.

thefit

I wish they would stop giving these assholes exclusivity to every sport thing if they don't want to build a certain console version or keep rehashing assets fine so long as someone else is allowed to create a version of their own.

Krisprolls

Banned
I'm guessing they feel that the people who buy Day 1 next-gen consoles aren't the audience that buys two soccer games a year.

But they're wrong. I would have bought it on PS4 and I know a friend who would have done so too.

I won't buy it on PS3 though, after playing Fifa on PS4 there's no going back.

Krisprolls

Banned
I'm surprised at the lack of next gen and iOS versions.

Yes, so am I, hardcore fans already bought a next gen console, they'll never go back on their PS3 for this game. And only hardcore fans buy 2 soccer games in the same year. That's puzzling.

Camisado

They aren't doing it because not enough people have Xbox Ones and PS4's? Pretty short sighted view in my opinion.

Why would anyone ever make any game for any new console if that was the case? Hell, let's just go back to the NES as we know there are loads of those out there!

Roxas

PS4 version of FIFA 14 has been top of the charts for the past...month or more. Ridiculous not to put a next gen version out there.

Naminator

Banned
I don't get this at all!

Is there a fucking "Which franchise we will run in to the ground next" division at EA or something?

Because if there is someone needs to cut their overtime.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
There's no reason they couldn't port this to the Wii U if they aren't focusing on One, and Four.

Oh wait. EA hates Nintendo, therefore I hate EA. I regret giving them money for Mass Effect 3. No wonder they are voted worst company, they can't even support current gen systems.

Tiu Neo

I buy one Fifa game each 3~4 years. Didn't buy Fifa 14 for Xbox One, waiting for the inevitable World Cup game. Now I'll probably wait for a price drop on Fifa14 XBO/PS4.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
they still release ps2 versions so I would imagine pretty well, the fifa market certainly worldwide is pretty broad console wise.

So why restrict this to PS360? PS3 is not feeling that well considering the GT6 sales and a lot of people moved from it to PS4. Plus there are insane attach rates for FIFA 14 on Xbone and PS4. But I can understand that they want to avoid the embarrassment of another NBA Live like effort, because it is obvious that this is just a cash cow.

And suddenly EA lost all the porting capabilities from PS360 to PC and other devices?

It's quite strange.

nampad

I would have bought a PS4 World Cup DLC. Didn't their last tourney DLC model work out for them that they are moving back to whole games?

Chobel

EA most of the time (always?) rehash the same content of FIFA games
all their sport games for that matter
, PS4/xbone already have FIFA 2014 so what's different now?

mack999

Banned
Haha, same. These games are always a rip off but I buy them - now I can't!

Cheers, EA!

2010 World Cup was great, best Fifa imo. None of this UT money making rubbish.

The only rip off was them turning the online servers off at the end of 2011.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Fuck you EA.

This was going to be my next gen soccer fix. My PS3 just died so it's not as if that's an option right now anyways.

It's their loss in the end because that $60 I was going to spend on World Cup is now just going to go to their competitors.

AkuMifune

Banned
I buy one Fifa game each 3~4 years. Didn't buy Fifa 14 for Xbox One, waiting for the inevitable World Cup game. Now I'll probably wait for a price drop on Fifa14 XBO/PS4.

Same. I always have to have a Fifa game around for when the urge strikes, and the last World Cup game was fantastic for that. Really crappy they're passing on next gen so...yeah. Fifa 14 when it's on sale. Thanks EA.

daegan

EA most of the time (always?) rehash the same content of FIFA games
all their sport games for that matter
, PS4/xbone already have FIFA 2014 so what's different now?

The last WC game had some really cool online modes that were just for it, plus the games tend to feel a bit different than the normal ones.

Pretty pissed if this really isn't coming to current gen. I suspect that it'll just be a later release (PS3/360 April, next gen May?) God I hope so.

iFootball

lol.. I brought up this topic last night while were playing Pro Clubs with our PS4 GAF's club The Gentle Lovers FC

Not a lot of us were going to purchase this for PS4, but I guess EA just helped confirm that...

I personally would've considered it if it was a <$30 DLC package, but never as a different disc for over $40

AHA-Lambda

guessing it's ps360 only cos it's a quick cash grab?

I mean it's a world cup tie in more than ever does EA have the excuse to just shit out whatever they want and sell millions.

mack999

Banned
EA Sports will release the official game of the 2014 FIFA World Cup for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on April 15th. There are no PC, Xbox One or PlayStation 4 versions of the game in development.

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil will feature an updated version of the Impact Engine used in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of FIFA 14. Improvements to dribbling, increased accuracy in passing and a more forgiving fist-touch mechanic are among improvements to the on-pitch action detailed to GameSpot by producer Matthew Prior.

The game will also feature a host of new and returning modes including;

Road to the FIFA World Cup - Choose from 203 national teams and play through regional qualification, all the way to the World Cup Final.

Story of Qualifying - Play through over 60 real world scenarios from the qualifying stages of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, each featuring unique commentary.

Story of Finals - Updated within an hour of the end of each game, this mode allows you to replay every game in the tournament, each with unique challenges based on the day's events.

Road to Rio de Janeiro - A bespoke online tournament held across the twelve host cities of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Captain Your Country - Progress your custom player from a bench warmer to captain of his country.

Online FIFA World Cup - Play through the 2014 FIFA World Cup against competitors online.

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil will feature the usual array of nation-specific fans sporting banners, flags, and seat cards in the stadiums. However a new addition sees the broadcast highlight fans watching the game back home. For instance, if England score the game will cut to fans celebrating in Trafalgar Square, while German fans will scream and shout outside Berlin's Brandenburg Gate.

19 international managers will have their likenesses in the game, including Roy Hodgson, Joachim Löw and Luiz Felipe Scolari. Even the subsequently sacked Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni will appear during Irish qualification matches.

English speaking players can also enjoy over 50 hours of pre-recorded radio chat courtesy of EA Sports Talk Radio. These radio shows, hosted by broadcasters Andy Goldstein and Ian Darke, or Michael Davies and Roger Bennett of 'Men in Blazers' fame, will play in the menus during various offline modes.

Notable omissions from the next-gen versions of FIFA 14 are also in 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, but unranked online friendlies, and local co-op for up to 32 players are available. Latin American commentators Mario Kempes and Fernando Palomo will also be back.

Other subtle additions to gameplay include the ability to to instruct team-mates to make runs, or crowd around the goalkeeper during set pieces. Goalies can now make Grobbelaar-esque knee wobbles and point in specific corners during penalty kicks, while defenders can leap over the back of strikers to clear headed balls.

When questioned about the lack of Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions, Producer Matthew Prior told GameSpot that due to the international appeal of the game, they expect the vast majority of fans to be playing on current-gen systems. Emerging markets, such as host nation Brazil, had prohibitively low next-gen adoption rates

I just so happen to be a big FIFA fan without FIFA 14 and only a PS3. And WC2010 was one of my favourite games last gen.

How convenient. :)

HBP

Well at least I won't be tempted to buy this I guess.... wonder what FUT content will consist of..... and the fact the US has a slim to none chance to make it out of their group so my World Cup fever is minimal.

Saty

No World Cup edition for PC, not even one base on their not-Ignite engine? Is EA deliberately trying to be hated? Funny because how they mentioned the IGNITE is too demanding for their majority of FIFA's PC fanbase - which included south america - which you'd expect a WC taking place in Brazil to have it's video game on PC, the most popular platform in Brazil and in Latin America and in other areas.

EA is all too happy to push it's crappy F2P FIFA Online rather than make their World Cup licensed game on PC as well. Pft.

Good.

These FIFA World Cup games are always gimped to all hell. Don't trick me into buying a next gen version again, dammit!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
English speaking players can also enjoy over 50 hours of pre-recorded radio chat courtesy of EA Sports Talk Radio. These radio shows, hosted by broadcasters Andy Goldstein and Ian Darke, or Michael Davies and Roger Bennett of 'Men in Blazers' fame, will play in the menus during various offline modes.

well shit. I might have actually paid $60 for this.

hardvibes

Ok no next gen version, but what I still don't get is:
why isn't World Cup a dlc add-on? After all it's just a game mode, not a full game.

Top Bottom