• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: 2014 FIFA World Cup Announced (PS360 Only)

bigkrev

EA has been doing stand alone WC games since 2002. They did one for Euro 2008, but it sold poorly and in 2012 they just made it DLC for Fifa.

This makes a ton of sense as a stand alone game. There are plenty of people who don't care enough about soccer to buy Fifa, but will care enough about the World Cup to buy a stand alone game. The lack of current-gen is strange though!

GetemMa

No DLC for next gen and there isn't a custom tournament mode anymore because of DLC like this.

Keep going EA and you can fuck up the one franchise of yours I still enjoy.

Considering EURO2012 didn't change shit compared to FIFA12 in terms of gameplay, I really don't care at all about this.

FIFA 14 is still a terrible mess, with defenders sometimes just turning completely daft around their shoulders instead of maintaining speed to intercept long balls, pass receipients just unable to move for several seconds even if the pass completely goes past them and goal keepers doing some of the most mental things I have ever witnessed in any kind of football game.

mikeyw85

Banned
I hope this back fires on them. FIFA 14 has sold fantastically on both Xbone and PS4 across Europe. 360/PS3 game sales are now well down and I think the X1/PS4 versions are selling better.

Qvoth

for some reason this thread reminds me of that octopus that has 100% track record on predicting matches
rip GOAT animal prophet

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Maybe EA just doesn't want their chums at Microsoft to have to explain again why the PS4 version is outselling the XBO version despite Legends DLC and Xbox One only ads.

Quote taken directly from the @EASPORTSFIFA Twitter account.

"Why isn't our World Cup game on X1/PS4? We are making the best game we can for our largest audience, which is still on 360 & PS3."

"For fans on X1/PS4, #FIFA14 will have a range of World Cup content and tournaments within FUT. More news closer to the tournament."

Cheech

Oddly enough, 2006 World Cup had a 360 version when that came out.

Their excuse about Brazil not having any current gen sales is obvious bullshit. If I had to guess, it would be because they don't want to cannibalize sales of FIFA 14. Which itself doesn't make tons of sense, but certainly better than derping about the host country.

dc89

This is really strange.
And fuck FUT content, that game mode is broken as hell. Get disconnected - contracts and stamina still go down.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
World Cup content will be DLC for FIFA 14, people are upset about this rather than paying for another FIFA game this early in the year?

This is really wierd in a "Do they not like making money?" sense.

World/Euro cup games are always just a cheap reskin of the current FIFA tournament mode. They need to very little marketing because "world cup fever" does that for you. Most of the costs are probably licensing rather than actual programming.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
World Cup content will be DLC for FIFA 14, people are upset about this rather than paying for another FIFA game this early in the year?

No it's not, it's going to be content for Ultimate Team, this is straight from the horse's mouth.

Considering I, and many people, don't give a shit about Ultimate Team, this a fucking horrible decision.

AlexBasch

Wish it was a DLC like they did for Euro 2012.

Oh well, might rent it, WC2010 was amazing.

Considering I, and many people, don't give a shit about Ultimate Team, this a fucking horrible decision.
I thought I was the only one. It's baffling to search for FIFA14 info in some boards and only find "SELLING AGUERO FOR 5646456 COINS" and shit.

bluehat9

I didn't buy Fifa this year because I was waiting for World Cup on ps4. Oh well, guess I won't be buying any, :lol.

This decision actually fits in pretty well with the circumstances of most my IRL friends who play Fifa regularly. Most of them still play on PS360 and have no real plans to upgrade soon so I can see why EA would do this.

Kimppis

WTF!? How... WAT. I was not expecting this, that's for sure. That doesn't even make any sense. It's not like that they put a massive effort into the next-gen FIFA 14. Well, this means I'll save 60€, so it's not that bad. World Cup 2010 was fantastic. So good...

EA just keeps delivering. Lazy next-gen sports titles, rushing BF4 release, that 0/10 mobile game (don't remember the name). I gotta admit I liked EA before, but even I'm starting to change my mind about them.

EDIT: I have to say it once more: World Cup 2010 was fucking GREAT. It has aged very well, it's pretty amazing how much better it is than FIFA 2010.

Jigorath

Banned
Doesn't seem like a smart decision considering the install base on next gen consoles, but whatever, I wasn't going to buy it anyways.

tbm24

Wasn't aware they were going to do one. So long as there's FUT content all is well. I will continue to play FUT whenever I have the free time to spare.

dreamfall

Dammit.

This is kind of shocking actually- I really was excited to jump in on a World Cup game to get in the mood on the PS4.

Depending on how it turns out, I may pick it up but we'll see. Chumbawamba World Cup '98 forever.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Funny thing is, I think EA could actually have gotten away with charging extra for the next gen versions.

Whoever made this dumbass decision should be fired.

Draconian

Well, I haven't gotten a One or a PS4 yet and didn't buy 14, so I'll probably get this. I remember when the 360 first came out, I played the 2006 World Cup game a bunch. Anyway, I have no idea why there's no next gen version, but that doesn't bother me because I don't have either console.

BigBoss

Are they finally gonna start fixing the problems fans have been complaining about for years? Are air-through balls still going to be overpowered? Are defenders and goalkeepers still going to have the AI of a chipmunk? Are they going to fix the infamous KSI kick-off glitch?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not buying it and still wouldn't have bought it if it released on next-gen.

This is the kind of game that is great to pick up for $10 6 months later and enjoy for the next 4 years until the new one. Which is the only reason I would have liked a PS4 digital version. So I can just have it ready whenever. But I guess I could do that with regular fifa, it's just not as attractive to casual friends as the World Cup one.

Into

The big money maker is not even just the sales of FIFA, its Ultimate Team. I wonder if they can cram that into a World Cup edition, that will be very difficult to do considering how national teams operate.

I doubt they will try putting UT in WC. They are probably focusing on FIFA 15, and this is just a side project to capitalize on the event.

daoster

Given that I am a GFOP, I will HAVE to buy this game for the Men in Blazers stuff after hearing a small clip of the MiB stuff yesterday.

Pity though, as I wish they would release this on Next Gen (or as DLC for FIFA 14?)

SHADES

Having brought these in the past I think they're a rip off as a full title & should be sold as DLC to the yearly FIFA in question, nothing more than reskinned stadiums & tournament mode.

I actually think they'd do better as a £15-20 DLC than the standalone games perform (anyone got any figures on past World Cup/Euro championship titled FIFA's do interns of sales against the FIFA of that year?) be interesting to see oh they stand against one another.

sobaka770

Banned
I really hope that FIFA 15 on next gen gets a lot of attention then.
FIFA WC 2010 was awesome, and it sucks not to get the game on PS4. With PS3. Xbox360 sales slowing down and both platforms starved for good quality games I think that this will not be the wisest decision for EA. But then again, they seem to be the masters of bad decision-making.

mack999

Banned
Achievements for game

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/2014-fifa-world-cup-brazil/achievements/

fifa-world-cup-2014-menu.jpg

I wish they would stop giving these assholes exclusivity to every sport thing if they don't want to build a certain console version or keep rehashing assets fine so long as someone else is allowed to create a version of their own.

Welcome to my Madden 2008 on PC world.

I hate ea and the NFL Players association because of the NFL exclusivity deal...but i love them for their continued support of the PS3.

Support for legacy hardware is why I switched from supporting Microsoft to support for the PS3 this generation.

Gamespawn

This sucks so hard. The one sports game I ever buy isn't coming to the easiest platform to develop for...

2002 WC was my first football game. The atmosphere was amazing. Screw you EA! Hope you get worst company three years in a row!

This sucks so hard. The one sports game I ever buy isn't coming to the easiest platform to develop for...

2002 WC was my first football game. The atmosphere was amazing. Screw you EA! Hope you get worst company three years in a row!

You fool! Hatred only makes them stronger!!

L Thammy

Before I heard about 360/PS3 sales dropping off a cliff, a cousin of mine asked me if he would be okay for the next few iterations of EA's sports games with just his 360. I told him it was. I'm personally glad that they announced this because it doesn't make me a liar.

Top Bottom