• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Is there a good primer for the different gamemodes in DFK? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices and differences between them.

It is very difficult to summarize since many of the differences are subtle and have to do with scoring intricacies.

I'm playing most of these modes for the first time, but here are the biggest distinctions of each mode:

1.5: The basic arcade mode. Has two loops, and there are two versions of the second loop depending on how you access it. You choose from three ships and three weapon Styles. Convenient autobombing and a constantly charging hyper gauge make it surprisingly easy to survive up to stage 5.
1.51: 1.5 tweaked further to simplify the controls and focus on a more complex hyper mechanic.
Arrange A: Dodonpachi Daioujou's mechanics are partially retrofitted into this game. Even the story has been revised to tie into Daioujou.
Arrange B: A single-level score attack mode with unlimited lives, with adaptive difficulty across playthroughs based on your performance.
Black Label: Focused much more on high-risk, high-reward gameplay. Three difficulty levels based on the Style you choose for your ship. Both loops have been merged into one, keeping the true final bosses from the second loop.
Black Label Arrange ("Ketsuipachi"): Black Label where your ship is replaced with the ship from Ketsui. The mechanics are reworked yet again into a hybrid of Ketsui and Dodonpachi. This mode was previously only available in Japan.

Momentary

Banned
Man I don't know how Nick from Degica does it being over there at the Shmup forums. Luckily this game is getting high praises from people who probably never experienced the originals.

There are some actual hitches with the invisible boss and the initial full screen locking things up, but Degica is quick to take care of those issues. I think it runs pretty damn good. At the same time, I'm bot running this game from my laptop... I have lots of issues on my laptop with most of Degica's shmup releases, but most of the time it was in part to how crappy NVIDIA Optimus was.

gngf123

Hoping these bugs and the scratchy OST get fixed soon.

Picked it up to support Cave games on Steam, but think I'm just going to continue playing Blue Revolver instead for now.

Dinjoralo

Man I don't know how Nick from Degica does it being over there at the Shmup forums. Luckily this game is getting high praises from people who probably never experienced the originals.

There are some actual hitches with the invisible boss and the initial full screen locking things up, but Degica is quick to take care of those issues. I think it runs pretty damn good. At the same time, I'm bot running this game from my laptop... I have lots of issues on my laptop with most of Degica's shmup releases, but most of the time it was in part to how crappy NVIDIA Optimus was.

A Japanese superplayer played Arrange A, hit Hyper and said, "Hmm, yeah, this is close enough." Maybe with a gun to their head.

Yeah, the guys over there are freaking savage. If I were nick, I would just say "You know what, screw this. You guys don't deserve to have a direct line to the publisher."
And I am having that invisible boss issue... Oh well, I can guess it'll get patched.

Tain

Apparently 1.5 and BL modes are accurate. That's mostly what I'm interested in.

Remembrance said:
According to a Degica post on system11, Deathsmiles slowdown is difficult to perfect because the game does not have a built-in timer. Consistent slowdown can only be easily implemented using a timer or consistent hardware, and the latter is obviously nonexistent for PCs.

And whether a Cave game had a timer or not seems to be fairly arbitrary...

Porting these 360 ports to PC sounds like it's kind of a nightmare. A mix of real and fake slowdown, yeeesh.

SOME-MIST

sucks for everyone who wanted to play ketsupachi. I really dislike DFK so I had no intention on buying it in the first place (until a big sale where I can nab it for like $5 of course), but that's disappointing that there's so many issues. won't be hearing complaints from me on this one..

on the other hand, I really want to buy blue revolver, but instead I've been sinking the last week into pink sweets arrange and I've almost got the 1-ALL down. seen the final boss twice :D
C8CPDVX.jpg

maybe sometime this weekend I'll finally get it

Man, I touched Ikaruga for the first time in 7 years or so and I still love it. I was never good at it but now I'm having a hard time to choose between Crimzon Clover or Ikraruga. I think I can only sink my teeth into one of them, on the other hand they are soooo different.

Man, I touched Ikaruga for the first time in 7 years or so and I still love it. I was never good at it but now I'm having a hard time to choose between Crimzon Clover or Ikraruga. I think I can only sink my teeth into one of them, on the other hand they are soooo different.

Go with CC. Ikaruga will still be there in weeks or months and will be just as you remember. CC will blow your damn mind.

Go with CC. Ikaruga will still be there in weeks or months and will be just as you remember. CC will blow your damn mind.

It kind of already does! With Ikaruga it's a bit special because it feels so "perfect". The design and gameplay are almost untouchable in its own kind (for me). It's so pure! So is CC but in a very different and viceral way.

-----------------------BTW---------------------------

Is there a Steam friend-list of Shmup GAF? I only have one friend who plays shmups and I need more high scores from real people. Not that I'd have a chance against anyone of you, haha!!! Also there seems to be a Neogaf group but it's invite only.

My steam: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994613719

Is there a Steam friend-list of Shmup GAF? I only have one friend who plays shmups and I need more high scores from real people. Not that I'd have a chance against anyone of you, haha!!! Also there seems to be a Neogaf group but it's invite only.

My steam: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994613719

There is the NeoSTG group. I'll send you an invite when I am not on mobile. I've tried several times to make it a more useful resource but Steam errors out and Googling the error has not been very useful. I should give it another shot. Anyone who wants to help out I'd be happy to adjust any settings required.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NeoSTG

If anyone else wants an invite just let me know.

Momentary

Banned
I'm loving ketsupachi. I never played the original one and I'm sure the majority of people playing never have either, so this thing being unplayable just doesn't compute with me. If people mean unplayable at a competitive level with the other releases thenew okay. But the game plays fine for me on a casual level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvsDBZxxx3w

This was taken before I understood how the scoring systemy works. Can someone explain to me where the hiccups are in the first stage?

TGMIII

It seems to be when you use the A+C shot to start a chain a massive amount of slowdown that wasn't present on the 360 version happens. Someone timed it against a replay and the PC version was apparently 30 seconds behind due to the increased slowdown.

People are saying the OST included also has issues but I can't find any specifics other than "it's broken" so I assume it's audio quality issues or the tracks don't play correctly.

-Gozer-

The only reason I wanted to pick up the pc version of DDP Resurrection was for the included BL arrange. I'll hold off on my purchase until they fix the slowdown (and other issues).

There is the NeoSTG group. I'll send you an invite when I am not on mobile. I've tried several times to make it a more useful resource but Steam errors out and Googling the error has not been very useful. I should give it another shot. Anyone who wants to help out I'd be happy to adjust any settings required.

Invite please! Steam name is same as GAF name.

Even if it has issues I'll go and pick up DDP as Degica has provided fine support for their games. I'll pick up Blue Revolver too.

Invites sent.

Tried the curator stuff again and it just worked this time. I tried at different points and on different machines so I dunno. Valve had a temporary vendetta against me, personally. I'd hate for it to just be a list of stuff that I personally recommend. Seems like something we should come to some sort of consensus as a group. Maybe some rounds of voting?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NeoSTG/curation

Also if anyone wants to take up the task of writing the game recommendations in as few words as possible I would gladly hand it off. I am awful at summarizing my thoughts in a sentence or two.

Hell yeah, I added some of you first thing after entering the group.

With Twinkle Star Sprites (haven't played the steam version, yet...I head not so good things about it), Ikaruga and Crimzon Clover being my only shmups so far I'm not much help but I would still vote for those when it comes to choosing currator's picks ;)

DDP Steam's menu prompts are only in Japanese? (Save messages etc) Also, it doesn't like switching from windowed to fullscreen.

Still happy it exists though. Oh, and Blue Revolver is cool.

Zia

DDP Steam's menu prompts are only in Japanese? (Save messages etc) Also, it doesn't like switching from windowed to fullscreen.

Still happy it exists though. Oh, and Blue Revolver is cool.

They default to Japanese for whatever reason but it's easily changeable in the options menu. Also, the full screen toggle crash happened to me as well, but it worked fine on my second try after exiting the program and restarting Steam.

I'd like an invite as well, I'm RoryDropkick on steam.

They default to Japanese for whatever reason but it's easily changeable in the options menu. Also, the full screen toggle crash happened to me as well, but it worked fine on my second try after exiting the program and restarting Steam.

Cool, will find the option.
Yes, upon restarting it launched into full-screen. I still hope they patch it.

Momentary

Banned
Made it to 120 billion on KetsuiPachi by the stage 3 midboss. I was about 50 billion on stage 1 one I figured out how the scoring works. On my first tries I could only get to 1 billion by the end of stage 1. I think I might be able to break 170 billion by the end of Stage 3. I'm already getting higher scores than people who finish their run. I got Stage 1 and 2 down pretty good, but stage 3 was my first time there, So I got annihilated. The scoring system is so damn fun.

I think I'm going to try some other modes now though or hop back on to Blue Revolver.

Also.. I was having issues with the main menus adjusting to TATE mode. I actually just set my monitor to portrait mode and set the game's aspect ratio to 9:16 and was able to fix the issue. I did encounter some bad tearing, but I had to set my monitor to a higher refresh rate. It could have been GSYNC causing the issue, but increasing the refresh rate fixed the issue.

30256380851_8152719520_b.jpg

I wish DDP's rotate settings would apply to all game versions in the package, and for some reason the main menu options get cut off when I rotate. The games themselves work perfectly though.

No problems playing Blue Revolver in Tate, makes me wish I had a dedicated tate screen. (Using a NEC screen that has optional rotation)

Momentary

Banned
I wish DDP's rotate settings would apply to all game versions in the package, and for some reason the main menu options get cut off when I rotate. The games themselves work perfectly though.

No problems playing Blue Revolver in Tate, makes me wish I had a dedicated tate screen. (Using a NEC screen that has optional rotation)

You have to set your monitor to portrait mode then go into the game and set it to 9:16. It will adjust everything else. You won't have to rotate each game individually and the menus won't be cut off.

Tain

Playing a quick credit today, I've found that I've been underrating Daifukkatsu. It's such a great game, even if you kind of have to dig to get to the "hard" modes.

Maybe I'll play a bit more before digging into BL.

Playing a quick credit today, I've found that I've been underrating Daifukkatsu. It's such a great game, even if you kind of have to dig to get to the "hard" modes.

Maybe I'll play a bit more before digging into BL.

To try and avoid some loaded words like more accessible, it feels... approachable? Or at least approachable to those who probably assume "this stuff is waaay too hard for me!" That seems to be Degica's plan of attack for Cave releases so far. Putting out the most approachable stuff. Which makes a certain amount of sense.

I really hope I can get some real time in to play today. Work has been something else the past few days.

That seems to be Degica's plan of attack for Cave releases so far. Putting out the most approachable stuff. Which makes a certain amount of sense.

Degica is just doing the publishing, Cave choose what is actually released for the ports. They chose to release Mushihimesama first as it was originally region locked.

The plan was to release three games on Steam which they have now done so we still need to know if they consider the sales good enough to continue.

Yeah.

Yeeeeeeah.

DFK is pretty good. Not my favorite, but still good. It really deserves an OT. If no one else is gonna do it I'll try and throw one together. Better late than never. No promises of quality. I am running on single digit sleep numbers over multiple days.

To try and avoid some loaded words like more accessible, it feels... approachable? Or at least approachable to those who probably assume "this stuff is waaay too hard for me!" That seems to be Degica's plan of attack for Cave releases so far. Putting out the most approachable stuff. Which makes a certain amount of sense.

Well, Cave shooters in general are really approachable.
The only exceptions IMO are Pink Sweets, Akai Katana, and Dangun Feveron.

I mean, sure there's stuff like Guwange with its absurd chain-the-entire-game scoring system, or ESP Ra.De. and the 20 minutes of boss-milking, but most people can still play and enjoy those games, while ignoring the nonsense.

Hell, Ketsui is more approachable than people might think. For the longest time I was lost, but the game immediately clicked, as soon as I made an attempt at playing for score.

Then there's Dodonpachi, which is still the perfect game for anyone wanting to get into Cave/Danmaku shooters.

The three exceptions though, I still can't wrap my head around them. At least Pink Sweets has a great Arrange mode and is bundled alongside the far more comprehensible Muchi Muchi Pork. Akai Katana has Slash mode, which does a much better job at communicating what the player should be doing to achieve success.

Dangun though. Its scoring system practically requires that you catch all the little guys, while dealing with wave after wave of enemies and their lightning fast bullets. It's like a 90s/00s scoring system coupled with 80s enemy/bullet mechanics. It's a headache.

Again, this is all IMO.

gngf123

Anyone having the minor problem in DFK, where the main menu will appear half off screen while in TATE mode?

You have to set your monitor to portrait mode then go into the game and set it to 9:16. It will adjust everything else. You won't have to rotate each game individually and the menus won't be cut off.

Okay I should have just read that. Thanks man.

Momentary

Banned
Okay I should have just read that. Thanks man.

The only thing is that you'll have to keep changing back and forth from portrait to landscape. But it's not big deal since it's just one little extra step to on top of rotating the monitor.

Anyone trying to make the OT I compiled some images with a header, ships, characters, modes, and story. I included the names of the ships in the file names.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145171900@N04/shares/31r363

Top Bottom