• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Speaking of Dariusburst, does anyone know about its development history? Pyramid did both the PSP and Chronicle Saviors versions?

They have no history of shmups that I can see but have somehow developed one of the most popular current shooters. Seems odd, but that's a pretty big achievement if so.

Delta is great

Eihander? Eh really not for me. Flashy and no substance is how I would describe that game.

oh, why do you feel that way =)

i remember i got that at release week and it came out the same week as alundra. from square i thought it had some nifty game play. like the manipulator grabbing weapons off enemies, the hidden sections of stages were neat to find. and that soundtrack was stunning. i dunno, for square's 1st attempt, i thought it was good side scroller that needed some strategy to beat.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Speaking of Dariusburst, does anyone know about its development history? Pyramid did both the PSP and Chronicle Saviors versions?

They have no history of shmups that I can see but have somehow developed one of the most popular current shooters. Seems odd, but that's a pretty big achievement if so.

Yes, Dariusburst from the PSP version through Chronicle Saviours was developed by Pyramid with supervision from Taito. They pitched it directly to Taito and ran point on most aspects of development.

It was made by a relatively small team and they've spoken about how a lot of the developers were younger guys who didn't necessarily play shmups and had to be educated on all the obvious points of reference.

They got bought out by a larger studio (the same one that recently bought 8ING) and it seems like they probably won't be making any more shmups, Darius or otherwise.

Einhander has lovely presentation and a few nice ideas but I find it too drawn out and slow, way to many sections just waiting for something to appear on screen. I wouldn't go so far to say style over substance but its close!

As far as PS1 exclusives go that are also horizontal I think Gradius Gaiden, G Darius and Harmful Park are far superior.

Yes, Dariusburst from the PSP version through Chronicle Saviours was developed by Pyramid with supervision from Taito. They pitched it directly to Taito and ran point on most aspects of development.

It was made by a relatively small team and they've spoken about how a lot of the developers were younger guys who didn't necessarily play shmups and had to be educated on all the obvious points of reference.

They got bought out by a larger studio (the same one that recently bought 8ING) and it seems like they probably won't be making any more shmups, Darius or otherwise.

Interesting...thanks for that.

Dariusburst turned out way better than it could have given the lack of experience at Pyramid.

Tain

Yeah. Who would have thought that the Patapon dudes would make a great STG? Though I don't know how much I would have liked initial PSP versions of the game. I'd assume that the strictness of the arcade structure played a big role in shaping what I love about DBAC.

Hey guys, just thought I would ask over here because I don't know where to go to ask for it. Do any of you know where I can go to recruit some people to work on a shoot em up with me? I've been working on one for the last couple of months and really could use some help. Looking for a gameplay designer, a level designer and another programmer.

Einhander has lovely presentation and a few nice ideas but I find it too drawn out and slow, way to many sections just waiting for something to appear on screen. I wouldn't go so far to say style over substance but its close!

Yeah, those are pretty much my issues with Einhander, but damn that soundtrack was on point.

This biggest offender for boring slow segments where nothing happens has to be R-Type Final on PS2.

Eh, I like a bit of quiet in a shooter every now & again. Too many bullet hell shooters tend to be a bit one-note.
The note being AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Fularu

Banned
Eh, I like a bit of quiet in a shooter every now & again. Too many bullet hell shooters tend to be a bit one-note.
The note being AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

There's a middle point between Bullet Hell and Boring slog

Thunderforce V, G-Darius, R-Type Delta or Gradius Gaiden are all far superior choices when it comes to horizontal shmups that don't play the bullet hell game.

Heinhänder looks great, sounds great but just like Philosoma, ends up beeing a mediocre shmup in the end.

G-Darius is an impeccable hori. Strongly recommended if that's what you're looking for. Unfortunately both console ports have issues either graphically or in terms of slowdown.

"Both console ports"? Are you including the Taito Memories collections?

yeah. Playstation version has lovely graphics but major slowdown. Taito Collection version is a fantastic port technically (no slowdown issues), but has awful image quality due to shitty ass filtering.

KDR_11k

So when you start up a Cave game on PC the main menu has a mode selector with version numbers, arrange stuff, etc with no explanation for what they mean. How do you people know which one to select? I mean, Novice is obvious but the rest doesn't really explain itself. I guess the Black Label mode is like an expansion pack?

Tain

So when you start up a Cave game on PC the main menu has a mode selector with version numbers, arrange stuff, etc with no explanation for what they mean. How do you people know which one to select? I mean, Novice is obvious but the rest doesn't really explain itself. I guess the Black Label mode is like an expansion pack?

Yeah, they really are not clear on those things. You're right that "Black Label" modes are largely like an expansion pack. So are any "Arrange" modes.

I generally first dig into the vanilla arcade modes, but it's not always obvious what those are. Mushihimesama's "Normal" is obvious. Deathsmiles has Arcade and PC modes, the main difference being that PC mode uses high-resolution sprites and removes the limitation on how many times you can choose the Level 1 and Level 2 difficulties. DoDonPachi Resurrection is the least clear, with 1.5 being the "normal" arcade mode and 1.51 being a slightly tweaked version of that.

ChryZ

jOXgPTD.jpg

Fularu

Banned
Silpheed for MCD when you have game slike ThunderForce 3, 4, Musha, Robo Aleste and countless others?

That's surprising (Silpheed really is a poor shmup only saved by its amazing fmv backgrounds)

Yeah, pretty interesting spread. I wonder if Yoko really prefers the DS Ketsui or if whoever made the graphic couldn't figure out a good abbreviation for arcade or coin-op or whatever.

That's really discouraging, would love to have seen a Darius CS sequel from them. What studio bought them out?

@MUWANdo

Banned
That's really discouraging, would love to have seen a Darius CS sequel from them. What studio bought them out?

Their parent studio is called COLOPL, they mostly do mobile games and are currently pushing their way into VR--they bought 8ing specifically to have them work on VR, in fact.

A lot of mid-tier contract studios are really hurting due to the shift away from big console development in favour of mobile, so acquisitions like these are becoming more common.

PantsuJo

Guys, I read about Caladrius Blaze patch 1.01 on Steam (fixes various crash on Intel HD graphics), can someone confirm about this?

I know it crashed a lot on Intel HD 4xxx/5xxx series, is working correctly now ?

Silpheed for MCD when you have game slike ThunderForce 3, 4, Musha, Robo Aleste and countless others?

That's surprising (Silpheed really is a poor shmup only saved by its amazing fmv backgrounds)

I don't think its a "these are the best" list rather than games that he actually spent time with and has fond memories of. And yeah, if he travels a lot say by train then Ketsui DS would be a great way to pass time and reason to put it over the arcade or ports. For example I play Mushihimesama Futari nearly every day but Batsugun would still be over it on my top ten as it got me into the genre and holds a special place as a result.

I'm also always surprised over the reverence that Musha seems to get, especially in American gaming press. Think its like what we were discussing with Einhander earlier, really nice presentation but really quite boring and full of dead space, simply not worth the prices it goes for.

Their parent studio is called COLOPL, they mostly do mobile games and are currently pushing their way into VR--they bought 8ing specifically to have them work on VR, in fact.

A lot of mid-tier contract studios are really hurting due to the shift away from big console development in favour of mobile, so acquisitions like these are becoming more common.

That bites, yeah doesn't sound like we'll be getting any more niche development from both Pyramid and 8ing if that's the case then.

Dinjoralo

Looking at the ships for DariusBurst's Capcom DLC... Ehhh these don't look too interesting. Actually, I think the DLC ships have been kinda going downhill since the original six, which were all very creative and fun to use. Most of the Cave and Eighting ships just feel vanilla to me.

Looking at the ships for DariusBurst's Capcom DLC... Ehhh these don't look too interesting. Actually, I think the DLC ships have been kinda going downhill since the original six, which were all very creative and fun to use. Most of the Cave and Eighting ships just feel vanilla to me.

Seriously?

They programmed in Deathsmiles' entire directional + lockon, item collection and powerup system. There is no hint that you are even playing a Dariusburst ship anymore.

And then Soukyuugurentai turns the game on its head with your shots being 100% lock-on.

Every single pack has had one completely transformational ship. It's remarkable.

Dinjoralo

Seriously?

They programmed in Deathsmiles' entire directional + lockon, item collection and powerup system. There is no hint that you are even playing a Dariusburst ship anymore.

And then Soukyuugurentai turns the game on its head with your shots being 100% lock-on.

Every single pack has had one completely transformational ship. It's remarkable.

Yeah, those two are the standouts of the Cave and Eighting Packs. But the other four out of those don't really have that same kind of creative spark to them, compared to the Sega and Taito packs, where I'd argue all six of them bring something fresh and unique to the table.

Also, Degica-published doujin pack when? :p Crimzon Clover, Eschatos, RefRain, the Zeal games...

Narroo

Well, the Deathsmiles 60% off sale is about to end. I'm tempted to wait even longer to see if they ever go below %60 off but...is Deathsmiles any good? I know it's a C.A.V.E. shmup, which are usually good, but Deathsmiles always looked like an awkward attempted to cash in on Moe/Touhou fads. How does it compare to Progear or Mushihimie sama, or Dodonpachi?

Well, the Deathsmiles 60% off sale is about to end. I'm tempted to wait even longer to see if they ever go below %60 off but...is Deathsmiles any good? I know it's a C.A.V.E. shmup, which are usually good, but Deathsmiles always looked like an awkward attempted to cash in on Moe/Touhou fads. How does it compare to Progear or Mushihimie sama, or Dodonpachi?

It's great! Really accessible, addicting but still deep and challenging. I love the presentation, too. So much shit flying around for you to collect, haha. Instant gratification and, personally, I often go for yet another run. I could do without the anime girl stuff but it fits the mood in a weird way.

I play it whenever I'm too lazy to turn my screen for Mushihimesama or DoDonpachi. :D

Nothing else really plays like Deathsmiles, which is very much about space management.

You want to charge up your meter to 1000 to use your special and get a lot of points. To do this, you need to shoot each enemy with the correct shot (out of the three shots you have at all times), then let them drop items and let the items bounce off the ground and split into more items before you collect them.

Plus you can play the stages in many different orders, so the gameplay loop is really wide open.

gunstarhero

The lastest episode of 'Battle of the Ports': Scramble Spirits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0mIUTSGGnU

Game Pro and EGM coverage of the Master System version.

Great U.S. arcade flyer ^

Edit: 1 credit complete

part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMnSmxfCDw
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZgjjuELr0

The ending music is so cool!

Wow - awesome!

Always wanted to get this on the SMS when I was a kid, but could never find it (or it came out when I moved on to the Genesis - can't recall).

IIRC, this game stood out from the rest of the arcades due to the higher resolution it ran at. Always wanted to purchase the PCB for the cab, but could never locate a working board.

EBreda

First time here!

I've been playing Sky Force Anniversary on the X1 and it's quite good. It starts really slow but by the time you unlock Insane difficulty level on each stage it gets interesting.

Sure it's grindy sometimes (found out that stage 5 on Insane is the best to collect stars aka money to upgrade your ship) but I really liked it.

Working towards beating every medal on Insane. Must have been playing for almost 8 hours so far.

So I'd like to recommend this to anyone. Not nearly as hard as Cave shooters but very nicely executed.

Top Bottom