• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

maxmars

Anyone here buying Graceful Explosion Machine when it releases on Switch?

Just got it, it reminded me of my first Atari 2600 game, Defender (which I was too scared to play at the arcades when I was younger as it had tons of buttons). I've gone through the first few stages and it's quite fun. Easy to get through a level but it WILL make you work hard to come out with a good score.

I shared this awhile back in RetroGAF and forgot about this thread. I figure posters in here would appreciate it. Years back I kept a smaller CRT on it's side for vertical shooters, and eventually because of various reasons that just stopped working out. I finally managed to get a wall mount that fixed the lack of tate mode in my life.

33303054892_1be9410dd3_h.jpg

Sorry for the delayed double post for folks who already saw it.

Don't apologize. That's awesome.

Beckx

Just got it, it reminded me of my first Atari 2600 game, Defender (which I was too scared to play at the arcades when I was younger as it had tons of buttons). I've gone through the first few stages and it's quite fun. Easy to get through a level but it WILL make you work hard to come out with a good score.

is it really really like Defender and fun, or is it Resogun being like Defender. I know people love Resogun but it really didn't do much for me.

I'm waiting for the official shmup gaf elite to weigh in on whether I should get graceful explosion machine or that new Neo geo game on Switch.

Getting mighty impatient waiting for Garegga.

Raptomex

i love nes Zanac =) play it almost weekly.

random note: there's rapid fire, super rapid fire in nes and triple rapid fire... i've been trying to figure out how to consistently get them.
If the AI is adaptive it almost sounds like this could be the ultimate replayable shmup. Shame ZXZ was only released in Japan and it's also triple digits now from what I found.

Yea, got it as well. Really fun and damnnnn that 60fps. Looks beautiful in motion.

Raptomex

It has arrived. Got it used but I question if it was new or in maybe opened once and never played.
vhgUfSr.jpg

KWbSKHh.jpg

A 3 year quest is now over.

So I just bought Zanac X Zanac for PSN on PS3. Adaptive AI? That sounds interesting.

That reminds me that I've been meaning to buy it on Vita at some point, since there are only so many PSN Classics shmups here.

And since there's never been a sale, no time like the present!

Raptomex

damn getting the good stuff!! congrats!

That reminds me that I've been meaning to buy it on Vita at some point, since there are only so many PSN Classics shmups here.

And since there's never been a sale, no time like the present!
I still want the disc version of Zanac but it's extremely expensive. I also learned tonight that I suck at it ha. Plus I can't read Japanese so I have no idea if I'm saving the game or what the messages are.

Raptomex

Is there a difference between Thunder Force III on Genesis and the Saturn port? I'm talking about TFIII from Thunder Force Gold Pack 1? Is it just a straight port of the Genesis game? I have the same question about TF2 since it's the other game in the pack.

I can't find anything that details the differences, if any. Makes me believe they're just straight ports.

Tain

Per shmups twitter, M2's Dangun Feveron port will playable at Cave festival 4/29

what else goes on during Cave festival these days?

I assume they bust out all their special festival-edition PCBs and promote their mobile games and that's usually it :(

Is there a difference between Thunder Force III on Genesis and the Saturn port? I'm talking about TFIII from Thunder Force Gold Pack 1? Is it just a straight port of the Genesis game? I have the same question about TF2 since it's the other game in the pack.

I can't find anything that details the differences, if any. Makes me believe they're just straight ports.

I don't have any sources but I think they're just straight ports. Maybe less slowdown.

To quote Yakumo form segagagadomain.com (amazing reference site btw, used it extensively when building my set)

"Technosoft went for the easy option as far as the audio was concerned. It's well known that emulating the Mega Drive's sound format is no walk in the park. So Technosoft just stuck all of the music tracks on to the CD for them to be streamed while the game was playing. The downer with this method is that the songs fade out half way through a level then repeat."

Thunderforce Gold pack 2 emulated the sound properly so doesn't have the issue.

what else goes on during Cave festival these days?

I assume they bust out all their special festival-edition PCBs and promote their mobile games and that's usually it :(.

I think those special PCBs only appear just the once. Knowing Cave they were so desperate for money that they over wrote the boards so they could sell them as a standard version!

As for what else goes on, just scroll down halfway through the page, I will say no more...
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56993&start=30

SOME-MIST

I think those special PCBs only appear just the once. Knowing Cave they were so desperate for money that they over wrote the boards so they could sell them as a standard version!

they're usually handed out as prizes for scoring contests - at least I know there are individuals with copies of dodonpachi campaign version and mushihimesama blue label

they're usually handed out as prizes for scoring contests - at least I know there are individuals with copies of dodonpachi campaign version and mushihimesama blue label

Mushihimesama blue label may have been handed out at an event but it also had a limited general public release through Cave's store and select retailers, so is far less rare than DDP campaign which has 2 or 3 copies known to exist.
https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/gam...cave-matsuri-ver-15-arcade-pcb-pre-order.html

Off the top of my head there are also Muchi Muchi Pork, Deathsmiles, Guwange and Ketsui Matsuri / Festival versions and those definitely dont exist in the wild in PCB form.
At least Muchi Muchi Pork has the Matsuri version available as DLC and Guwange blue label is available on the Xbox 360 ports.

SOME-MIST

interesting. I wonder what guwange and ketsui would have been repurposed as given the hardware used for those boards (unless they didn't use the same hardware used for normal ketsui/guwange).

interesting. I wonder what guwange and ketsui would have been repurposed as given the hardware used for those boards (unless they didn't use the same hardware used for normal ketsui/guwange).

I was only joking really as I know that unsold CV1K / SH3 generation games were repurposed if they had any unsold stock, we can only speculate as to the fate of the more obscure extremely limited stuff like this.

I did dig out the video that most of my fuzzy recollection had been based on, think peeps round here will really enjoy it, turns out the retail Mushihimesama blue label is not quite the same as the Matsuri version after all as I had thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrvYPilIKFk

@MUWANdo

Banned

TF2 is a straight port of the Mega Drive game. TF3 has an extra-easy "kids mode" setting but is otherwise identical. (Kids Mode was also added to the recent 3DS port.)

Gold Pack 1 has streamed audio that doesn't loop or properly sync with the backgrounds, it's pretty annoying.

Gold Pack 2 has properly-synced music but the sound effects sound tinny for some reason. It's the only official port of TFAC and the TF4 port removes all the slowdown and has a secret option to play through the game as the TF3 ship which is pretty cool.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What are the chances of Wild Guns Reloaded and Garegga getting a Switch port?

Wild Guns is a Unity game so I don't think it'd be a difficult port but I also have no idea how it sold, internationally or within Japan, so I couldn't really speculate on if or when it'll be ported to anything. I do know it was made by a very small team and I imagine they're working on something new right now and may not be in a position to port the game anywhere else right now.

M2 are hardware fiends that love to work with everything they can but I also know they're being very cautious with the M2STG releases--they know they're catering to a niche and that profits are limited so they don't want to overextend.

Raptomex

That is a damn nice get! One of these days I plan on getting it myself.
Yeah, highly recommended. I'm amazed at the condition it was in considering it was used.
To quote Yakumo form segagagadomain.com (amazing reference site btw, used it extensively when building my set)

"Technosoft went for the easy option as far as the audio was concerned. It's well known that emulating the Mega Drive's sound format is no walk in the park. So Technosoft just stuck all of the music tracks on to the CD for them to be streamed while the game was playing. The downer with this method is that the songs fade out half way through a level then repeat."

Thunderforce Gold pack 2 emulated the sound properly so doesn't have the issue.
TF2 is a straight port of the Mega Drive game. TF3 has an extra-easy "kids mode" setting but is otherwise identical. (Kids Mode was also added to the recent 3DS port.)

Gold Pack 1 has streamed audio that doesn't loop or properly sync with the backgrounds, it's pretty annoying.

Gold Pack 2 has properly-synced music but the sound effects sound tinny for some reason. It's the only official port of TFAC and the TF4 port removes all the slowdown and has a secret option to play through the game as the TF3 ship which is pretty cool.
Ah, thanks. So the music is the biggest drawback.

Raptomex

Fantastic. Congrats.

This is on my list, along with Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus.
Thanks. This and Twisted Metal 2 PC are the most satisfying purchases I've ever made and may be the two rarest games I own now. Both took me years to find and both complete in box. Feels good.

Salamander Deluxe is on my list as well. Good hunting.

aero blaster tgx-16 felt so much better than Genesis air buster. the respawn on genesis sucks bc it forces the ship to stay static for several seconds getting me auto killed often.

1upsuper

Can I ask what everyone's favorite ship is from any SHMUP? Or favorites. The various ship designs are one of my favorite parts of SHMUPs.

I think the Vic Viper and Lord British may be my favorites -- I'm particularly fond of the cutesy versions from Parodius:

vic_viper.png

But their regular versions are great too, of course.
I'm really behind on SHMUPs from the 32-bit era to now, so I'm probably unfamiliar with a lot of really cool, ridiculous ships.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dunno if anyone noticed but Diadra Empty and Gundemoniums are coming to PS4 (+ Vita for the latter).

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/touhou-g...-gundemoniums-announced-playstation-platforms

Touhou Genso Maroku W: The Devil of Decline (PS Vita, June 2017)

Touhou Genso Maroku W: The Devil of Decline

Mediascape-PlayStation-Ann_03-31-17_001-600x340.jpg

Developed by Strawberry Bose, Touhou Genso Maroku W: The Devil of Decline introduces a “Shikigami System” where your party fights while equipped with shikigami.

There are dungeons made up of various areas to explore, as well as alchemy, shikigami, items, and spell cards to collect, an illustrated encyclopedia, and other additional elements to enjoy.

Diadra Empty: To Wish for Dreaming Tomorrow (PlayStation 4, 2017)

Mediascape-PlayStation-Ann_03-31-17_002-600x338.jpg

Diadra Empty: To Wish for Dreaming Tomorrow
Developed by Frozen Orb, Diadra Empty: To Wish for Dreaming Tomorrow is a “high field shooting game.”

With the PlayStation 4 port, the game will have wide screen resolution support, improved controls, game balance adjustments, and new armaments.

Gundemoniums (PlayStation 4 and PS Vita, 2017)

eXy2pmD.jpg

Gundemoniums is the latest title from Platine Dispositif, the studio behind Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils on Steam.

The horizontal scroll shooting game adds new characters, new systems, and of course, wide screen support to Gundemonium Recollection, which was released by an overseas publisher for PC and PlayStation 3, for its PlayStation 4 and PS Vita debut.

I shared this awhile back in RetroGAF and forgot about this thread. I figure posters in here would appreciate it. Years back I kept a smaller CRT on it's side for vertical shooters, and eventually because of various reasons that just stopped working out. I finally managed to get a wall mount that fixed the lack of tate mode in my life.

Nice! I have had a mental image of doing this for years but it would have some kind of really sturdy, circular mount that would let me carefully turn it back and forth between TATE position and horizontal as needed. Also, which DDP port is that?

Can I ask what everyone's favorite ship is from any SHMUP? Or favorites. The various ship designs are one of my favorite parts of SHMUPs.

Way too hard for me to pick one. If we're talking straight up pew-pew-pew jets I've always had a fondness for the relatively straightforward design of the jets in Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings. Pretty sure it was one of the first I played to animate the turn/lean thing so always stuck with me. There are almost certainly better, but hey, that isn't how this stuff works, right?

Aero%20Fighters%2016.png
Aero%20Fighters%2021.png
Aero%20Fighters%2001.png
Aero%20Fighters%2013.png

If we are talking any old animate flying shooter avatar thing, man, I don't even know. I would spend way too long thinking about it.

AmyS

Sure -- Mine is the Fire LEO-02 Exceliza - better known as the "Excelizer", from Thunder Force II.

kbzZ0lm.png

Edit: But the way I remember that best, was in a SEARS Wishbook catalog.

iLKUWQB.png

Nice! I have had a mental image of doing this for years but it would have some kind of really sturdy, circular mount that would let me carefully turn it back and forth between TATE position and horizontal as needed. Also, which DDP port is that?

This does that. I can really easily go from Tate to Landscape mode. It's our main tv in our living room, so it had to support both. It's this one here http://www.wallmountworld.com/Rotating-TV-bracket-with-31inch-extension-p/wmw-dualstud-31-rotate.htm

That is the Saturn port of DDP.

Fularu

Banned

I think the Vic Viper and Lord British may be my favorites -- I'm particularly fond of the cutesy versions from Parodius:

vic_viper.png

But their regular versions are great too, of course.
I'm really behind on SHMUPs from the 32-bit era to now, so I'm probably unfamiliar with a lot of really cool, ridiculous ships.
The white PC engine from Star Parodia

Or the ship from Thunderforce 3 (FIRE LEO-03 Styx)

What size television is that and what wall mount did you get? Thanks in advance and that is awesome!

Top Bottom