• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

BOTEC

cj_iwakura

Fularu

Banned
Four games strong, that's a lot further than most shmups get.

Always wanted the Xbox version(s). (There's also a blue one with the male cast.)

Shikigami no Shiro 2 is an above average shooter that I enjoy playing from time to time, same with 3. It's just the first one that's prety mediocre.

Just like the Psyvariar games

cj_iwakura

Shikigami no Shiro 2 is an above average shooter that I enjoy playing from time to time, same with 3. It's just the first one that's prety mediocre.

The first game has a really good story. Almost no one knows it because we never got to see it. The second(and especially the third) started the trend of silliness, though even 3 has its serious moments.

Fularu

Banned
The first game has a really good story. Almost no one knows it because we never got to see it. The second(and especially the third) started the trend of silliness, though even 3 has its serious moments.

Obviously I'm not commenting on the story but just the actual gameplay aspects of the shmup :)

I'll pick it up anyway, I'm weak like that (and to go along my atrocious MLF release)

BOTEC

I wonder if they're going all the way back and porting the original Taito G-Net code, or hacking the existing PC or Xbox code to run on modern machines.

cj_iwakura

I wonder if they're going all the way back and porting the original Taito G-Net code, or hacking the existing PC or Xbox code to run on modern machines.

I'd assume the original PC version. It runs just fine on my PC, and it's fairly modern.

Adding in the dub VA did cause some glitches, though. (Yes, we did dub VA.)

It was never completed because I couldn't find a satisfactory Fumiko or Shoujo, but the rest came out fantastic.

Spladam

Ohhhhh, Mobile Light Force 2... I'm like the only one in here that only knows it by it's western name it seems. Great game. I only had a handful of shmups on the PS2, this was one of them.

-Edit: It's very confusing here as the first game is titled Mobile Light Force 2 and the second is Castle Shikigami 2, strange nomenclature.

Ohhhhh, Mobile Light Force 2... I'm like the only one in here that only knows it by it's western name it seems. Great game. I only had a handful of shmups on the PS2, this was one of them.

-Edit: It's very confusing here as the first game is titled Mobile Light Force 2 and the second is Castle Shikigami 2, strange nomenclature.

No, it's because MLF2 didn't have the story translated.

Also, MLF1 was on PS1 and was Gunbird (and suffered a similar fate). They only called this MLF2 because it was on PS2.

Dambrosi

Banned
€48 here. I've pretty much only seen it discounted.
Yeah, that's where I got mine from. sogood.gif

Unfotunately for it, my Persona 5 Take Your Heart Edition came the same day, so it kind of took second place to the new and shiny. Still love it though. No disc is a bummer, but the packaging and bonus materiels are...well, not worth the asking price, because no packaging ever is, but they certainly elevate the experience beyond your normal limited editions.

It was just no match for the P5 giant box set, though. I mean, have you seen that thing? They put a school bag in it! And a plushie! The Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator box was pretty cool too, with the double vinyl records and all.

In short, I wish there were more really special editions like that, especially for shooters. Imagine - a Salamander Collection for PS4 with the old OVA series remastered on Blu-Ray and a Lord British plushie!

Did anyone who hasn't got a PS4 get the Garegga LE?

I mean you don't even get a game disc with it, but it comes with tons of stuff right?

I will eventually get a PS4 (I think), but the LE bumpf looks nice.

Fortunately I can play the Saturn port on my cabs - as I am cursed to never own the PCB it seems (keep missing out on getting it - and I'm not spending a grand on it, especialy as the Saturn port is proabably 'good enough').

In other news I finally managed to hook up my 360 to one of my cabs, but I have to do a bizarre controller swap to get the cab directional controls to work.

Currently playing DFK BL, but ultimately looking to dust of SDJ, as I think I have played about 30 mins of that all in. I'm not really a fan of CAVE stuff post Mushi tbh.

I remember we used to sell it when I worked at EB Games, along with MLF1. It pissed me off to no end. I preordered Shikigami 2 once I saw it on the preorder list as well. Shikigami 3 came out after I had left the company but I preordered that as well.

If you look through Shikigami 2's US manual there are a few places where it says Mobile Light Force 3.

cross-asking,

does anyone know the value of Stinger for NEE

new Sealed?

i can't find one reference for it for actual sold copies.

some store has it but i have no price reference to give.

thanks!
yeah i saw that but if you click on the links it's doesn't come up bc it's too old.
there's such as huge gap between 150 and the other that's 900 and nothing recent to give enough grounds to offer a price to the store.

The 900 price is a graded / sealed copy and those prices are silly anyway. Its not good enough of a game to spend that much extra on getting a sealed copy over a loose cart imho, spend the extra on other games.

I can't believe you have to make an offer to the store and they don't just have a set price!

The 900 price is a graded / sealed copy and those prices are silly anyway. Its not good enough of a game to spend that much extra on getting a sealed copy over a loose cart imho, spend the extra on other games.

I can't believe you have to make an offer to the store and they don't just have a set price!

he got a bunch of sealed copy nes and snes games. and while he was pricing them he couldn't a find one for stinger. so i asked him about how much he was going to price it for and he had no idea. (some dude just brought them by and unloaded them)

he got a bunch of sealed copy nes and snes games. and while he was pricing them he couldn't a find one for stinger. so i asked him about how much he was going to price it for and he had no idea. (some dude just brought them by and unloaded them)

Ah ok, was thinking he was tying a "you tell me what its worth" to jack up the potential profit he could get out of you.

cj_iwakura

If you look through Shikigami 2's US manual there are a few places where it says Mobile Light Force 3.

Yep.

C_1lytbVwAEnpOh.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strania, Guwange, Ikaruga, and Triggerheart Excelica are all $2.49 currently, as part of the XBox 360 backwards compatibility sale. Great time to grab them if you haven't!

I know I shouldn't have hoped, especially since it's not BC, but no Deathsmiles 2X pretty much confirms it'll never go on sale. ;_;

cj_iwakura

Strania, Guwange, Ikaruga, and Triggerheart Excelica are all $2.49 currently, as part of the XBox 360 backwards compatibility sale. Great time to grab them if you haven't!

I know I shouldn't have hoped, especially since it's not BC, but no Deathsmiles 2X pretty much confirms it'll never go on sale. ;_;

I feel like my 360 is pretty shmup deprived. Are any of those must-haves? I just have Death Smiles 1 and Akai Katana.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I feel like my 360 is pretty shmup deprived. Are any of those must-haves? I just have Death Smiles 1 and Akai Katana.

I actually don't have any of them myself (at least for 360), but from what I've read, Strania is pretty great, although it and Ikaruga are both available on Steam as well. Triggerheart is decent from what I remember of it on the Dreamcast, and I'm not really a fan of Guwange. Feel like it's one of Cave's weaker games. Though a weak Cave game is still better than a lot of shmups out there, so.

Strania: vertical shooter with 3D graphics. Has a unique weapon system with 3 slots that allow you to mix-and-match melee and many ranged weapons. Also has mechanical distinctions between allied, enemy, and neutral weapon powerups. The DLC is a completely different campaign with entirely new levels where you play as the enemy side (and so the whole powerup system becomes reversed too). Note that on Steam the DLC is baked into the base game (I assume the DLC is not on sale for Xbox?).

Guwange: Cave's only self-published console game in the West, and they chose a truly weird game where you don't fly but walk (and so have to go around obstacles as the screen scrolls). The art, setting, and enemy design are highly unique in the genre. The shooting mechanics are not exactly conventional - imagine that every character is Kohtaro from Castle Shikigami, because they all, in fact, have a shikigami which homes in on the enemy.

Ikaruga: everybody knows by now that Ikaruga is a pain in the ass to play well. But if you want it, the Steam version is more definitive.

Triggerheart Exelica: possibly the only game in the world that came out on the PS2 after the 360 - which is why it looks like a PS2 game on the 360. Not the definitive version, since on PS2 it actually has story. On 360, it's a pretty bare-bones shooter, but has a unique mechanic where you capture enemies, swing them around with your analog stick, then throw them back. It takes some getting used to, and you can't clear later stages by just shooting alone.

Also on sale is Omega Five, a dual-stick horizontal shmup. Good use of 3D stages, but feels badly balanced a lot of the time between different characters and stage layouts. It can also be slow at times, and you'll probably have to play for hours to get enough credits to clear the game.

SOME-MIST

muchi muchi pork/pink sweets for sure.

pink sweets arrange is the shit and fun for a 1CC
muchi muchi pork has 1.01 mode which is 100x easier to loop than 1.0 which by default makes it more fun than 1.0 (the lard meter build-up/usage is much more lax too).

the price tag on ebay is ridiculous, but if you look in the right places you can still find copies for $90 or so.

--

also, guwange is one of the more underrated CAVE games along with dangun feveron (which seems to have recently gained a little popularity). I really want a PCB of it but I think my PCB buying days might be coming to an end.

Slermy

That's great! I have them all though... -_-

https://twitter.com/DegiGames/status/862392799068663808

Yep, they're doing their own from scratch. Oh well. We'll see how it measures up.

Oh wow, I've totally neglected Degi Games. They've been bring over some awesome stuff! Are PC ports generally good?

Eolz

Under Defeat HD! If you don't have it on PS3 obviously...
Radiant Silvergun is a good version too, shame it's not on PC yet.

for the 360 I'd recommend Raiden Fighters Aces too. Really nice collection of all three Raiden Fighters games from the late '90s, the games themselves are quite solid. TATE mode, scanlines, filters, and other features.

Yes Boss!

for the 360 I'd recommend Raiden Fighters Aces too. Really nice collection of all three Raiden Fighters games from the late '90s, the games themselves are quite solid. TATE mode, scanlines, filters, and other features.

nailbonbxx knows what is up. The best of all the shmups on 360. And $20 as a download...even if the disc is OOP.

Top Bottom