• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

Syder

Rick and Morty though...
Only thing that turns me off Rick & Morty is the internet circlejerk surrounding it.

I mean, it's great but let's not go crazy here.

people overthink south park so god damn much

it's a gross juvenile show that prods at US society's current insecurites. sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not. it doesn't merit a thinkpiece for every god damn episode, it's a chunk of cultural debris that just happens to have lasted a long ass time because it is so malleable. some weeks it's funny, some weeks it blows.
When a popular show #BothSides important issues I can't vibe with that...

Beefy

Only thing that turns me off Rick & Morty is the internet circlejerk surrounding it.

Some dudes just get too attached to shit and hype it to hell. I think it is dope, but I am not going to start stanning over it.

I haven't watched South Park in years, but I don't dislike it. I think it can be funny. But clearly the Ha Ha Your Mom Died Mammy Fish is cruel and unnecessary. It has actually made me not want to play the new game, and I really liked the first one. #ZachWorldProblems
This is kinda how I feel. Except I never played the first game.

Anyone watching the ROH thingy?
I was gonna, but I really don't feel like going through the hassle of setting it up just for ROH.

i really think that was just a misfire in the hexademical config, but yeah doesn't look super good! and after they just had such a good episode, they just need to colour palette that sprite and they're good.
people overthink south park so god damn much

it's a gross juvenile show that prods at US society's current insecurites. sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not. it doesn't merit a thinkpiece for every god damn episode, it's a chunk of cultural debris that just happens to have lasted a long ass time because it is so malleable. some weeks it's funny, some weeks it blows.
giphy.webp

The serialisation season that started 2 years was kinda the final straw for me as a long time fan (it's funny because I wanted SP to try serialisation for a long time) but South Park had been on a slow decline for years that took me a long time to accept but they would hit it out of the park one or two times a season so it was fine.

Now, politics aside, the show is pure garbage; it's just not funny. However, based on how much I enjoyed Stick of Truth and how much Matt & Trey want to make good games I was really looking forward to Fractured but Whole.
The show just hasn't been good for a very long time. Somewhere around the episode where Stan saw everything as shit.

gun_haver

When a popular show #BothSides important issues I can't vibe with that...

I don't know what the status of the whole bothsides thing is, but I just watched the new episode and it pretty much ripped on trump for half of it's runtime with a quick jab at hillary for her shitty 'i'm still cool' publicity book tour, which is warranted.

They might have done this in the past, I don't watch every season/episode, but I don't see where the outrage comes from here especially now when they're just shitting on trump in a nice oblique way that isn't exactly the same as colbert, meyers, daily show etc who all make the same jokes sometimes word for word about his hair and his weight.

i mean come on:

https://youtu.be/DZeW8WhLWB8

this is #BothSides?

It's like any fanbase. There are certain folks who like the show and are utter wankers. Just give it a shot and if it doesn't click it doesn't click.

Let's stand up for good cartoons, like Bojack Horseman.

I like Rick and Morty but Bojack's so much better.

Anth0ny

I guess this is a hot take, but I really don't enjoy Rick and Morty's style of comedy. Like the rambling/stuttering/improvised style. It's not really funny.

I'm more amused by the crazy sci fi universe it takes place in. Those episodes where he's just flipping through channels and there's all those fucked up commercials are the best.

gun_haver

Let's stand up for good cartoons, like Bojack Horseman.

man i tried with that show, but it's just riffing on tired old 'lol we're in hollywood' cliches and basic 'maybe life is about something more' crap. i have only seen s1+2, if it gets much better correct my ass.

I guess this is a hot take, but I really don't enjoy Rick and Morty's style of comedy. Like the rambling/stuttering/improvised style. It's not really funny.

I'm more amused by the crazy sci fi universe it takes place in. Those episodes where he's just flipping through channels and there's all those fucked up commercials are the best.

To at least put a positive opinion in here, I actually do like Rick and Morty's rambling/sometimes improv style. I also watch it for the nutso sci fi universe they have created but I like how Rick seems to exist outside of it and regularly comments on how formulaic a plot might or might not be. The best episode of the show is the one where all the fake people come on via parasites and change everyone's memories. It's a good show, close to great, but not quiiiiiite at great. It relies too much on being referential to better sci-fi stories.

Syder

The show just hasn't been good for a very long time. Somewhere around the episode where Stan saw everything as shit.
I'd mostly agree with that.
Some dudes just get too attached to shit and hype it to hell. I think it is dope, but I am not going to start stanning over it.
I feel like this is the best way to treat all forms of media.

Ain't never gettin' MilkshakeDuck-ed
It's like any fanbase. There are certain folks who like the show and are utter wankers. Just give it a shot and if it doesn't click it doesn't click
I've seen it all up to the end of Season 2, it's great but I've seen people acting like it's the greatest thing ever.

Going to guess most of these people didn't grow up on prime Simpsons.

I love Rick and Morty, and what puts it over other contemporary shows is the high-concept sci-fi elements. I also think that will be what helpa the show age well.

I need to give Bojack another try; couldn't make it through the first few eps when it came out.

Beefy

I'd mostly agree with that.I feel like this is the best way to treat all forms of media.

Ain't never gettin' MilkshakeDuck-edI've seen it all up to the end of Season 2, it's great but I've seen people acting like it's the greatest thing ever.

How I treat most of life. I don't get people that want to crazily defend people they don't know personally. Same goes with TV shows etc.

Zach

Ain't never gettin' MilkshakeDuck-edI've seen it all up to the end of Season 2, it's great but I've seen people acting like it's the greatest thing ever.

Going to guess most of these people didn't grow up on prime Simpsons.

1.) Yeah, DTA, son: Don't Trust Anybody. I don't even trust my main squeeze Bobby D.

2.) Prime Simpsons rulez them all. (far-off Dato: nuh-uh!)

Syder

is Rick and Morty supposed to be funny because that didnt seem like that's what they were going for.
is Monday Night RAW supposed to be entertaining because that didn't seem like that's what they were going for.
How I treat most of life. I don't get people that want tp defend people they don't know personally.
1.) Yeah, DTA, son: Don't Trust Anybody. I don't even trust my main squeeze Bobby D.

2.) Prime Simpsons rulez them all. (far-off Dato: nuh-uh!)
Safer to assume everyone is a piece of shit until they prove otherwise.

The fuck is up with Tremont's face? Is he a super deathmatch kinda dude?

All sorts of temperatures of takes:

South Park - Grew up with it, still think it has it's good moments, but it's basically a background noise show for me. I think Cartman rapping this week was amazing though.

Bojack - Heard it was really good and deals with depression in a non-offensive way. Anyone confirm or deny? Is there a good episode to start on (aside from the first one)?

Rick and Morty - Feel like there's entirely too much going on in that show to want to start it, especially with the internet screaming Schezewan sauce and nonsense like that. Confirm or deny? Is there a good episode to get an idea of what it's about with (again, aside from the first one)?

The best thing about watching prime simpsons again is realizing just how stacked those episodes. Each one has multiple classic plotlines that I would have sworn were in individual episodes.

Only Seinfeld and Arrested Development consistently matched that feat.

Rick and Morty - Feel like there's entirely too much going on in that show to want to start it, especially with the internet screaming Schezewan sauce and nonsense like that. Confirm or deny? Is there a good episode to get an idea of what it's about with (again, aside from the first one)?
Lawnmower Dog is the best episode of the first season, but I would give the Meeseeks episode a go (I think it's the second episode of the first season?)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cartoons? No good.

Dangermouse deserves praise though

Zach

Do you trust OwensIsNow, your son?

Nah, not really.

The best thing about watching prime simpsons again is realizing just how stacked those episodes. Each one has multiple classic plotlines that I would have sworn were in individual episodes.

I could probably watch the first eight or whatever seasons of The Thompsons tom and I'd get a joke or two for the first time. It's so clever and delightful. I just want to eat it up. (far-off Dato: noooooooo, plzzzzz...)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Simpsons is about as lowbrow as South Park. No nuance in the Simpsons at all. They're not similar, but for the same audience.

They might have done this in the past, I don't watch every season/episode, but I don't see where the outrage comes from here especially now when they're just shitting on trump in a nice oblique way that isn't exactly the same as colbert, meyers, daily show etc who all make the same jokes sometimes word for word about his hair and his weight.

Because shitting on trump without any good commentary is just cheap toilet humor, which is exactly what South Park is. No matter how much they try and touch on cultural topics the fact that is distilled down to piss and fart jokes just kills it.

I also hate SNL for their continued cheap shoting at all of what's going on. Shit is super tense and real right now in the US. Turning to satire isn't coping anymore, it's just creating a way to be 'woke' without actually caring. The 'stay home and eat cake' thing was just clueless. I mean look at the whole Spicer thing. Guy spent months berating reporters, lying, etc but SNL gave him an easy out by normalising his shit.

Am I over reacting? Probably, but I'm tired of this whole "but it's satire" shit. When people's livlihood is being threatened I just can't sit back and watch Alec Baldwin do another Trump impersonation for the sake of 'coping'. Same goes for South park.

Lawnmower Dog is the best episode of the first season, but I would give the Meeseeks episode a go (I think it's the second episode of the first season?)

Right on, thank you for the suggestion.

Zach

I would seriously end it all -- leave my son fatherless -- if I didn't like The Simpsons. What is that life? Miserable, that's what.

Venture Bros is amazing. I just forget it exists because it takes so damn long between seasons.

I would seriously end it all -- leave my son fatherless -- if I didn't like The Simpsons. What is that life? Miserable, that's what.
If you didn't like Simpsons, you'd probably like The Big Bang Theory.

Imagine that life.

Hex

Banned
I can't stand Simpsons, got very old very fast.
BUT that being said, I love Beavis and Butthead so who am I to judge.

gun_haver

Because shitting on trump without any good commentary is just cheap toilet humor, which is exactly what South Park is. No matter how much they try and touch on cultural topics the fact that is distilled down to piss and fart jokes just kills it.

I also hate SNL for their continued cheap shoting at all of what's going on. Shit is super tense and real right now in the US. Turning to satire isn't coping anymore, it's just creating a way to be 'woke' without actually caring. The 'stay home and eat cake' thing was just clueless. I mean look at the whole Spicer thing. Guy spent months berating reporters, lying, etc but SNL gave him an easy out by normalising his shit.

Am I over reacting? Probably, but I'm tired of this whole "but it's satire" shit. When people's livlihood is being threatened I just can't sit back and watch Alec Baldwin do another Trump impersonation for the sake of 'coping'. Same goes for South park.

yeah except uh the point of this episode was 'trump, stop tweeting and making things worse', and not an insult about his appearance unlike what things like colbert do, and they do make fun of his actions, but they do so by making fun of his (or his associates) appearance, remember the bannon bullshit? so that isn't the same thing. they didn't even mention him in the show, almost in a 'this guy is so fucked we're not even portraying him directly' kind of thing

and another thing, uh, trump isn't that horrendous. he's an idiot, he's a racist and a sexist, but he's completely ineffectual in those regards, and will be gone in a few years. duterte is killing thousands of people who are only suspected of being involved with drugs. thousands, killing. it's bad, but it isn't 'this is beyond spoofing we need to civil war' bad.

Top Bottom