• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shortage of Neon Switch Imminent?

Seil

Wait..what? Noooooo! :(

Yup. It's well designed for people that actually buy a Neon SKU and decide they want to complete both their red and blue sets in the future. But it's potentially unfortunate for others lol.

psyfi

Banned
I'm curious what percentage of Neon owners will get a bit of buyers remorse because of the lack of symmetry after the honeymoon phase wears off.
Nah

I prefer having symmetrical blue or red, and that's why I'm getting the separate joycon bundle to make that happen. But if that wasn't an option I'd still pick neon over grey. Honestly though, every Switch configuration looks dope.

LordKano

My only worry about neon joycons is when you play in a darker room, or at night. Wouldn't the colored joycons bother you when you're looking at the dark screen ? Like, they could act as some sort of distraction.

But that's the kind of thing you need to see by yourself.

Lunar FC

Thankfully they flipped the colors for the add-on joy cons. Got to be able to distinguish the OG believers from the phonies.

Got my Neon ordered from Amazon. Kind of nice to have change of pace, everything I have is black/grey/white - Something different is cool by me

Kaiken

Banned
I'm curious what percentage of Neon owners will get a bit of buyers remorse because of the lack of symmetry after the honeymoon phase wears off.

I'm more curious about the people that were stuck ordering Neon but wanted the Grey. That'll be my first inquiry when I'm in line to pick mine up on Thursday night hoping someone wants to trade.

mlclmtckr

Banned
My only worry about neon joycons is when you play in a darker room, or at night. Wouldn't the colored joycons bother you when you're looking at the dark screen ? Like, they could act as some sort of distraction.

That's why I got the grey. Hell even the white 3DS kind of annoys me sometimes even though I love the look of the device itself.

psyfi

Banned

That is honestly impossible for me to imagine. Strikes me as a very strange concern.

Seil

I don't think they're being sold individually in those colors, are they? I've only seen renders of grey L and grey R in individual packaging.

You are correct, only grey is offered individually.

Japan might offer neons individually, I actually haven't checked. But NA certainly doesn't.

Edit: Nintendo's JP online store sells neons individually. So get to importing I guess lol.

TAS

Don't despair, you can always buy an all-blue set and an all-red set and then make your Switch look just like the Neon SKU.

probably don't actually do this

LoL..if I wasn't spending an obscene amount of money of the Switch launch already, I probably would. Oh well..not the end of the world I guess.

bones123

My store was allocated ~50 Grey Switches, and maybe ~10 Neon ones. It seems like they're being treated as a sort of limited edition console.

Anecdotally every single person i know in real life that's getting a switch other than me wanted neon but ended up ordering grey because the preorders for grey went up first, i waited 15 mins and the neon went up and i got my order in (admittedly that is a sample size of 5) i have a feeling neon is gonna be the mega popular one and Nintendo done fooked up is they making more grey

It's been mentioned before but do not purchase the neon joycon set unless you have the neon Switch console. The colors on the neon joycon set are swapped so people who have the neon Switch console can have a full set of red and blue Joycons.

Plum

Does anyone know where I could import a set of all-red Neon Joycons from America/Japan? I'd much rather have all-grey and all-red instead of all-blue and all-red after a bit of thinking. I'm fine paying a little bit extra for the import.

icespide

Banned
It's been mentioned before but do not purchase the neon joycon set unless you have the neon Switch console. The colors on the neon joycon set are swapped so people who have the neon Switch console can have a full set of red and blue Joycons.

why shouldn't they? it's not like they won't work or something...

Yeah, I don't feel like Nintendo has much confidence in colorful sets in the west in general.

Glad I got my preorder in.

The 3DS XL only being available in red and blue put me off buying it for months as I waited for a new color, I eventually went with blue because it didn't seem like they were (right before they eventually had some new colors, of course, haha).

I actually do really like the Neon red and blue on the Switch, but I went grey just because that's what I could pre-order at the time (and I want to wait for new colors of joycons to come out).

JCH!

I'm so happy I preordered both SKUs. Originally I was going to keep the grey one but the neon one has been growing on me.

Everything I own it's black (PS4, Wii U, Vita) or Grey (3DS XL). I think my grey switch will fit nicely with the environment, but I won't lie the neon looks great. I'll probably end up buying joy con colors once more MP games come out. I definitely think Nintendo will make more colors in the future.
I mean come on even the pro controller is black.

Monger

Don't buy them so people with a neon console can? Or don't buy them because the colors are swapped and red absolutely cannot be the left controller?

I'm not sure I understand.

Terrell

It's safe to assume that the neon console is effectively pre-order only.

I'd bet neon consoles were allocated more to online retailers than brick-and-mortar ones and will likely stay that way after launch. It'd be easier to sell through a less popular color configuration online.

You can always count on a shortage of Nintendo consoles.

e9d.jpg

Srsly, try harder.

MrBS

Picking up the blue/red combo to go with my grey preorder. The grey will be pushed aside to 2 player obscurity at my house I'm sure ;)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The Neon doesn't look good imo. I don't like the asymmetry.

If there was an all red or all blue option, that would be ideal. Only other option is grey. *sigh*

CDX

It is the case in NA...

You can buy either a mixed set which is the reverse of the Neon system SKU, a full set of blue, a full set of red, a full set of grey or individual grey...

You cannot buy individual red or blue joy-cons. Meaning if you buy the mixed set, you cannot complete that set. And the mixed set results in the opposite colors of the actual neon SKU.

This is exactly what that post pointed out.

Wait..what? Noooooo! :(

ooQjoZo.png

Because it's reversed, It's nice if you actually have the Neon set you can get just pick up the combo color JoyCon set, and have a full set of blue JoyCons, and a full set of red JoyCons.

If you don't get the neon set and instead buy the combo set later, your colors will always be reversed.

It really does, it's the shade of blue I can't get behind. I don't mind the red, in fact I preordered a set of red Joy-Cons. I went with gray for the console's Joy-Con colors though.

You know what, I do like the red color more than I like that particular shade of blue.

t hicks

Banned
Have heard from different places that there are a lot more gray Switch. Good thing you can buy separate Joy-Con, if you really want those colors.

Yeah at first I was kinda bummed I was only able to preorder a Grey switch but im definitely gonna get another pair of colored joy-cons down the road so it's not too bad

LaserHawk

The Neon option was the only kind available to me when I made my preorder. I didn't like it at the time, but since then Neon has really grown on me. In the past, I've preferred that each of my controllers be a different color for any given system, and the Neon Switch is in keeping with that.

Soph

Heh, so after talking about it at work some guys told me they had already preordered it. I never do I said, it's not going to be needed. They laughed at me stating I wouldn't be able to get one.

Then he showed me the damn thing is already sold out on bol.com (Dutch big online retailer).

FFS

I guess I'm going to preorder it, well fuck me.

Edit: Preordered a Neon Switch

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Neon was my preference, but I was concerned about the asymmetry, so I ordered a grey. I tried to get a Neon once I knew the Neon Joycon pack was reversed, but wasn't able to. Not the end of the world. I'm going to get a set of Red Joycons.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Not surprising that they plan on selling more of the grey units, as its more practical and it's the one they use in ads.

I plan on getting all blue joy cons later down the line.

Soph

A second dutch game retail site also sold out of Switches Nedgame. Even sold out of their "second shipment" which hits end March, if you want to grab a switch on that site, be prepared to wait until midapril for it.

Coolblue.nl is also sold out. Mediamarkt is sold out, Wehkamp is sold out. I didn't know the situation was so dire, damn I'm such a naive idiot.

There's one site which is still taking preorders in the Netherlands.

The preorder status from a single store is hardly news worthy.

I think the neons are probably rarer overall, I wouldn't even be surprised if they get discontinued with time, but at my local store I could only preorder a neon, and not a regular.

Top Bottom