• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Arc System Works do another Guilty Gear beat em up with Xrd?

wwm0nkey

So Guilty Gear has tried a few different things before like a MOBA and 4 player fighter but both of those games were met with meh responses, one other experiment with Guilty Gear was a beat em up game called Guilty Gear Judgement . The game wasn't perfect but it was far from bad, it also included Accent Core with it as well.

With Xrd pretty much perfecting 3D looking like 2D sprites I think now would be a great time for them to give it another shot and their story is at a point where they could have an interesting enough campaign. I also think it could help get more users into the normal fighting game if they do what Judgement did and bundle it with the current Xrd game.

After trying the Tutorial mode in Revelator I really think this idea could work well and also be a good way to trick people to get into fighting games lol

But I mean come on getting a beat em up that looks like this would be amazing:
UI0K6V.gif

GGXrdR-Demo4.png

Guilty-Gear-Xrd-Revelator-dizzy-screenshot-2.jpg

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The new GG games are gorgeous, but it's about very limited stages and only a handful of characters. No way they have the money or time, to do multiple enemies and elongated levels with that tech. I mean it's a beautiful dream but it's not realistic IMO.

Teknoman

I'd at least like to see them attempt a second Contra game or a beat em up with that fast paced vibe. I just realized the other day that you can actually counter the bullets.

duckroll

I think a beat 'em up with Guilty Gear's stylization would be amazing. Sounds way too costly though.

More costly than throwing in 4+ hour story modes as uninterrupted cutscenes with lots of action and fully voiced dialogue? ASW seems to like wasting money on fans, so why stop now!

That said, Judgement kinda sucked, and I'm not convinced they have the skill set to make a fun beatemup. :(

wwm0nkey

More costly than throwing in 4+ hour story modes as uninterrupted cutscenes with lots of action and fully voiced dialogue? ASW seems to like wasting money on fans, so why stop now!

That said, Judgement kinda sucked, and I'm not convinced they have the skill set to make a fun beatemup. :(
There was a lot of room for improvement but it showed the most promise out of the other spin offs for GG

duckroll

There was a lot of room for improvement but it showed the most promise out of the other spin offs for GG

I don't agree. GG2 actually has the most potential and actual balance and execution which plays to the strengths of the developers. It was just ahead of its time and never had the brand power to make people understand what it was. Even I had no idea how the game was intended to be played originally. Remember that it was MOBA -before- MOBAs.

wwm0nkey

I don't agree. GG2 actually has the most potential and actual balance and execution which plays to the strengths of the developers. It was just ahead of its time and never had the brand power to make people understand what it was. Even I had no idea how the game was intended to be played originally. Remember that it was MOBA -before- MOBAs.
It is kind of funny it did the whole MOBA thing before that scene blew up, but I don't know how successful it would be right now with the market flooded.

TreIII

Ahh... Well iirc Arc System Works own the Double Dragon IP, so they could make a beat em' up of that.

Beat me to it.

Give Million (made up of some ex-Technos Japan staff, no less) some time, money, manpower and access to their tech and let THEM make the next-gen Double Dragon revival we deserve.

wwm0nkey

They should make a Double Dragon game since they own that now I believe? It should be the Hard Corps Uprising of Double Dragon.

I wasn't actually aware they owned that, yeah they should use this tech on a double dragon but I also feel like the story and characters of GG lead well into a beat em up

heh... this thread reminds me of when everyone was convinced Arc was doing Bloodrayne 3 and it was just a Japan port of the wayforward game...

Tain

As long as it's designed under arcade principles and not some lame Castle Crashers shit I'd be all over it.

I don't think GG is a strong brand outside the Japanese arcades, I don't think it will sell well no matter how good it is, with that in mind I think they should spend their budget in doing an rpg, start a new franchise. The president of ASW was toying around with the idea of making a new fighting game franchise, the third pillar after GG and BB. maybe that is going to be their next thing, and Mori's new game.

FluxWaveZ

The president of ASW was toying around with the idea of making a new fighting game franchise, the third pillar after GG and BB. maybe that is going to be their next thing, and Mori's new game.

Do you have a link to wherever this was said?

Edit: I see, you were probably referring to this Gamasutra interview:
Arc doesn't developer fighters exclusively; they've made more regular games for the DS, and so forth. Are both types of games still under development at Arc?

Daisuke Ishiwatari: Well, while I can't say exactly what we're working on, but I don't think most people know about the games Arc System Works makes apart from the famous titles, BlazBlue and Guilty Gear. We'll continue to make fighting games going into the future, but we also want to explore new possibilities. That's an ongoing topic within our company. So while I can't go into specifics right now, but we're always discussing with ourselves way to create a sort of third pillar, another title that puts Arc on the map.

wwm0nkey

Just have Sony fund them developing a new Darkstalkers on the Xrd engine

Its just UE3 (I think Revelator is 4?). Hell they were originally trying to make a 3rd person action game with it but decided to use it on Guilty Gear instead. They have a detailed video on how they did everything so pretty much any other developer is free to copy it.

Tain

It's modified UE3 and if you ever ripped any of the models you'd see they do all kinds of digital sorcery to get that look.
I think they specifically said they changed a single line of code in the UE3 source.

The tech overviews ASW did explained a bunch of sorcery with the art assets, but none of that was modification of UE3 itself.

Coda

After replaying and mastering Contra Shattered Soldier again recently it made me really want to play Hard Corps Uprising again but I don't own a 360 anymore. So I'd definitely dig another Contra styled game from them. Doubt it will happen though.

But yes we need more beat em up games in general that make use of the power of consoles today.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It would have been nice if they did a Castlevania game.

i-Jest

Not gonna happen, since the series just saw a return to form recently. The last thing that needs to be done is screwing up the formula. All I ask is a more polished game with each entry, updated visuals, and more story building.

If anything I'd like to see characters brought over from other GG media that never saw an appearance in the fighting games. Since we're on beat'em ups, bring back that Judgment character for a future entry.

Momentary

Banned
Whoever is handling that fate/Extella game should make something like that for this. Just whatever they do don't turn it into a shit cookie cutter assembly line KoeI Tecmo musou. Blegh.

Klart

I do want a new beat 'm up, be it a Guilty Gear one (Judgement was cool, played it on PSP) or a Double Dragon one. Didn't really like DD Neon. DD should be about beating up street punks. The gameplay wasn't to my liking either.

You're not thinking outside the box enough OP. These are 3D models. You can do so much more than a simple beat-em-up with re-purposed sprites. Why not a character action game?

wwm0nkey

You're not thinking outside the box enough OP. These are 3D models. You can do so much more than a simple beat-em-up with re-purposed sprites. Why not a character action game?
Well from what I understand the early version of this engine didn't work will with that so it shifted into something that looked sprite based

Klart

Because there are too many char. action games out there already. Give us a beat'm up with high production values. The only (recent) one in existence is Dragon's Crown.

duckroll

They're 3D models, but the celshading technique Xrd uses is very much reliant on the camera being fixed so they can distort and deform the models as required in the hidden regions to create the anime effect as it animates. They're not quite as simple as a 3D model which you can place in an open area with a free camera. That's certainly possible with adjustments, but they probably won't be able to replicate the look of Xrd to the same degree with a free camera.

It's just a 4 hour long anime really, though playing Arcade mode gives you the effects that happened before the story starts.

I don't understand. I'm asking if the story mode is like the one in Mortal Kombat and Dead or Alive 5 instead of the lazy ones found in most fighting games. I'm not asking is the story is any good or not.

Astarte

I don't understand. I'm asking if the story mode is like the one in Mortal Kombat and Dead or Alive 5 instead of the lazy ones found in most fighting games. I'm not asking is the story is any good or not.

Think of Mortal Kombat's story mode without any fighting and it's anime as hell

wwm0nkey

I don't understand. I'm asking if the story mode is like the one in Mortal Kombat and Dead or Alive 5 instead of the lazy ones found in most fighting games.
There is no fighting, is a giant (good) cutscene, doing so avoids a lot of fighting game story tropes where people fight for no reason.

If you want fighting you still have Arcade mode (each character gets a set of cutscene leading into the story in this mode), online and M.O.M mode (RPG)

Think of Mortal Kombat's story mode without any fighting and it's anime as hell

There is no fighting, is a giant (good) cutscene, doing so avoids a lot of fighting game story tropes where people fight for no reason.

If you want fighting you still have Arcade mode (each character gets a set of cutscene leading into the story in this mode), online and M.O.M mode (RPG)

oh wow. I don't know how to feel about that, haha. I guess it's still better than no story at all.

Top Bottom