• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft just embrace "cinematic" third-person action adventure games?

Robb

Gold Member
Instead it looks like they’ve doubled down on the “cinematic” aspects of it with Hellblade 2.
Yeah I was really hoping to see vastly improved environmental puzzles and more engaging combat.. Doesn’t seem like any of that is being addressed based of off what they’ve shown thus far (which is very little to be fair, but still).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Yeah I was really hoping to see vastly improved environmental puzzles and more engaging combat.. Doesn’t seem like any of that is being addressed based of off what they’ve show thus far (which is very little to be fair, but still).
Well based on the reactions to the E3 footage I doubt many people even played the original game and were expecting this to be like Ragnarok.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yeah I was really hoping to see vastly improved environmental puzzles and more engaging combat.. Doesn’t seem like any of that is being addressed based of off what they’ve show thus far (which is very little to be fair, but still).
If it plays like the last game, I don't think I'll bother downloading it.

TBH, I'm surprised it's been given the budget it's long gestation suggests. With that in mind, I assume the plan must be to make something that is satisfying to the mainstream.

Some crappy rune spotting will not be well received as a AAA flagship product.

Valt7786

They already have a great portfolio of titles, which, had they been managed properly could have done wonders for MS this gen. You got their big trio of Gears, Halo and Forza. I dont know about Forza but they've bungled the other 2 so far. You've got Bethesda studios and all those included in that buyout but again have had nothing new to show for it. Where's the next Doom? Wolfenstein? It's taken what, 4 years to get even the slightest glimpse of Fable? All those titles alone could have carried MS this gen along with the indie gamepass stuff but they've just dropped the ball so hard.

TonyK

I sure I would like to see more third person games from Microsoft. Even if I'm so weirdo that I liked Redfall or Halo Infinite, I feel all Microsoft/Bethesda/Arkane games are FPS. I don't know if I need the cinematic part, as I only like it if it's done with the AAAA production values as Sony or Rockstar, but I'm sure I want more third person view games for Xbox.

I'll begin this by saying that I own all consoles, so there's no fanboyism or even brand loyalty to a particular company. I go with whatever is the best value prop at the time.

Just saying you own all the consoles doesn't mean you can't like a console corp more than the rest. And you seem to know what MS has shown off or is said to be in development. At a guess I would say the new Indy game will be 3rd person and I'm sure I've read somewhere that Perfect Dark will also be 3rd person and I would imagine that Project Dragon will also be 3rd person

Thats to go on what's been shown off with Hellblade 2, Fable

I think that's MS covering big single budget player adventure 3rd person games. I think what MS really lacks is a 3D platform game to call its own and its been a issue since the OG XBox really

Ozriel

M$FT
Do you not understand what a good start means or are you expecting those to be out before Starfield?

You: “Microsoft has not made or commissioned Single player game before Starfield comes out”

Me: *lists single player games in the works that have been greenlit (or are being funded) by MS*

Do you truly not understand the meaning of the word ‘commissioned’ that you used? Always best practice to use words appropriately.

Topher

Gold Member
Good Lord no. Microsoft’s strength is its diverse lineup.

Sony’s a one trick pony, which is why they’re looking over the fence at Starfield. It’s why Baldur’s Gate 3 is beating Spiderman in preorders.

Their fans want other games besides cinematic open world.

Even if Sony were a "one trick pony" (which they are not), how does that have anything to do with Starfield not being on PlayStation? Baldur's Gate 3 has a metacritic of 97 and is out on PlayStation in three weeks while Spider-man 2 isn't out for another 2 months. That's why Baldur's Gate 3 is doing so well in preorders. Suggesting Baldur's Gate 3's success means Sony fans are somehow rejecting Spider-man 2 and "cinematic open world" games is just a bad take.

Last edited:
Sure why not. More games the better.

The Xbox warriors here will tell you fuck no ( as seen by the first page) because Sony has been pumping them out for years, while Xbox weren't releasing any games.

Apparently having a game they can choose not to buy enrages them.

Z O N E

Eh, I don't mind 1 or maybe 2 cinematic titles, but I wouldn't want that to be the standard to be honest.

I just can't seem to enjoy the new God of Wars because of that. I prefer the old God of Wars to the new ones to be honest and don't like the new cinematic direction they went with it. The Last of Us is different as that was built from the ground up to be cinematic, so that's fine, I guess.

I just find cinematic titles slow and honestly, if I wanted to sit back and enjoy a story THAT much, I would watch a TV show or something. I don't mind story driven games, but holy shit they need to simmer down with the cutscenes and open up their level design a bit so people can explore more.

Also, I find cinematic games to have less replay-ability as they focus TOO HEAVILY on the story. I guess there's a reason why I replayed the hell out of Elden Ring and other titles. I prefer gameplay over heavy cinematic story games.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
They already do.

Gears
Hellblade
Fable
State of decay
Recore

People just don't try to relegate them into "third person cinematic" in a derogatory way but it's the same thing.
This. Especially with what Gears has turned into. They're doing the same shit.

Sony’s a one trick pony, which is why they’re looking over the fence at Starfield. It’s why Baldur’s Gate 3 is beating Spiderman in preorders.

Dear lord. Do you warriors even think logically before you throw out your bad takes as fact?

MS strength is its diverse line up? Up until very recently their line up was the holy trinity of diversity.. halo, gears and Forza.

We're still waiting for all the games to release from all the Devs and publishers they bought to see if the games are any good. Hard to talk about strengths when they haven't even released yet.

At this present moment in time MS strength is its wallet. They even fucked up halo and lost bungie so hardly FPS is their strong point .

Ozriel

M$FT

Baldur’s Gate isn’t beating Spiderman in preorders. Anyone who thinks that is delusional.

It’s temporarily risen to #1 most preordered game on PSN, but that’s instantaneous data, driven by the top class reviews. Not lifetime, and Spider-man 2 preorders will skyrocket leading up to launch.

Spiderman 2 will be a sales monster.

Ozriel

M$FT
Dear lord. Do you warriors even think logically before you throw out your bad takes as fact?

MS strength is its diverse line up? Up until very recently their line up was the holy trinity of diversity.. halo, gears and Forza.

We're still waiting for all the games to release from all the Devs and publishers they bought to see if the games are any good. Hard to talk about strengths when they haven't even released yet.

At this present moment in time MS strength is its wallet. They even fucked up halo and lost bungie so hardly FPS is their strong point .

Your comment really speaks to an undue focus on popular AAA only. Which is why you’re happily neglecting games like Ori, Pentiment, Grounded, Flight Sim and HiFi Rush.

I certainly don’t agree that Sony doesn’t have diverse output. Ratchet, Sackboy, Deatruction all stars, Dreams among others are certainly not ‘cinematic games’.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Maybe for some titles, but eh

They should focus on their IPs, and making the best of it. Halo without Forge or co-op? That's a huge fucking no. Gears having too much exposition instead of increasing gameplay? Hell no

Schmick

You got to admire the diverse catelog of games, Xbox Studios has on offer. There's no reason for Xbox to copy what Sony are doing, and no one should want that.

That said there are plenty of single player campaign driven games in the pipeline, as mentioned by other posters. I havent seen anyone mention Indiana Jones though.

damidu

not to mention high production value, one and done 20 hour games, which they have to put to a sub service on day one, probably wouldn’t make much sense financially.

they rather fill it with gaas

Last edited:

damidu

You got to admire the diverse catelog of games, Xbox Studios has on offer. There's no reason for Xbox to copy what Sony are doing, and no one should want that.

That said there are plenty of single player campaign driven games in the pipeline, as mentioned by other posters. I havent seen anyone mention Indiana Jones though.
hey now
they'll probably have an uncharted clone with the new indy game too.
should be good enough for now.

Ginzeen

Banned
AAA narrative-driven action-adventure games are arguably the most difficult, expensive, and technically complex games to make.

Xbox Game Studios are not there yet.
i would say open world rpgs to be honest. Xbox is already there. They don't normally make those types of games though.

HL3.exe

I hope not. Playstation's production value is on-point, but man, their game structures are cookie cutter linear affairs. Even there open-world attempt are cookie cutter from the GTA3 era of structure.

With Bethesda on there side I hope they focus more on systemic narrative and immersive sim type games. More open-ended with 'approach and consequences'. It makes them stand out in different ways. They have Obsidian and InXile titles in the world that try stuff like this. I rather have diversity in the market then chasing the same trend over and over.

mrmustard

Banned
People afraid of a cutscene.
It's not just about cutscenes, it's about all continuous interruption of gameplay like forced walk + talk. I want full control over my character at all times. Just let me play the game. But that's just me.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Even if Sony were a "one trick pony" (which they are not), how does that have anything to do with Starfield not being on PlayStation? Baldur's Gate 3 has a metacritic of 97 and is out on PlayStation in three weeks while Spider-man 2 isn't out for another 2 months. That's why Baldur's Gate 3 is doing so well in preorders. Suggesting Baldur's Gate 3's success means Sony fans are somehow rejecting Spider-man 2 and "cinematic open world" games is just a bad take.

Fair enough, but I’m saying people want that variety. Open world cinematic is nice, but a broader variety is nicer.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They already do.

Gears
Hellblade
Fable
State of decay
Recore

People just don't try to relegate them into "third person cinematic" in a derogatory way but it's the same thing.

Gears of War I’d say fits. The rest aren’t cinematic at all. They’re all gameplay.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I do think Sony should get back to smaller projects like they used to. Stuff like The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush are sorely missed, imo.

Absolutely. People want that stuff. Remember the days of Socom, Downhill Domination, War of the Monsters, Mark of Kri, Dark Cloud, etc?

The big cinematic blockbusters are nice, but I’d gladly eliminate some of them to bring back the variety we used to see.

SenkiDala

MS should release the games they announce.
Hellblade 2
Perfect Dark
Fable
Avowed
State of Decay 3
Ark 2
Everwild
Outer World 2
Age of Empire IV

And I probably forget some... If they release the games they announce, the XSX would be a godamn awesome console. That's 1 thing to buy all the studios you can, that another thing to brings all the projects to an actual release.

ulantan

no because they'd end up like Sony.

nothing wrong with them but if i want to watch a movie i'll go watch one. i play games for gameplay. by all means have cutscenes but i don't want to feel like i'm watching a movie.
Yeah but most game intrupt gameplay with cutscenes I don't see how this is a sony only "genre" or how it's a genre to begin with.

xrnzaaas

The campaign from the last Gears definitely felt like they tried to copy a lot from Uncharted and other similar cinematic adventures. They've added a robot sidekick, developing skills and open world levels or areas with focus on exploration only. Don't know if it works for the Gears IP specifically (like the pacing becoming much worse than before), but I wouldn't mind if they kept trying.

SenkiDala

Yeah but most game intrupt gameplay with cutscenes I don't see how this is a sony only "genre" or how it's a genre to begin with.
That's a point from many people who just don't play Sony games. Yes they're all story oriented games but it doesn't mean there's no gameplay. I mean Demon's Souls has no gameplay ? When a From game is multiple it's the "GOTY OF THE YEAR" but when it's exclusive : no gameplay ? TLOU has a very deep gameplay, Guerrilla games too...

That's not about the gameplay, it's just about that typology of gamers who absolutely don't want any plot, any story and will skip all cinematic. The same people who say "From games don't have a story they're basically a boss rush".

Three

Today I learned State of Decay is a third person cinematic game 😆😆😆😆 ReCore too 😆😆😆😆
About as much as Mass effect or HFW but don't let that stop you. Just because they have low production values in comparison doesn't mean much.

"All gameplay" is utter horseshit.

Last edited:

Musilla

It's sometimes disappointing to see Microsoft keep trying to push a variety of games in different genres beyond the typical FPS or over-the-shoulder action adventure (e.g. Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush, Flight Simulator,...)
Microsoft doesn't try shit because those games aren't their creations, they only came across those games when they bought the studios. Microsoft's "real" studios have been living on Halo, Gears, and Forza for 15 years, a shooter, a third-person cinematic game, and a racing game

Hugare

Pentiment was considered a low budget game by Obsidian, a company that havent made a high budget game for quite a while now

Hi-fi Rush was also a "side dish" for Tango.

And you arent really expecting a flight sim to be big in terms of popularity, right?

It's stupid to compare them to Sony big budget games

MS have been trying that with Gears for years, without success. And now with Fable and Senua they may get it right for once.

And about the "Commercialy a flop" comment, all of them being on Game Pass Day One

Hmm, it's almost like I could see a pattern here

Last edited:
Microsoft entering cinematic games would be interesting, but I don’t think their studios have the ability or talent to create something like TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted or GOW imho. I could be totally wrong, but if they did I’d imagine they would of developed something on par with those titles by now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom