• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should MS continue pushing PC or should they focus on console exclusivity?

RedRum

Banned
As a console gamer primarily, this question breeds a lot of conflict.

I personally don't mind if MS pushes their exclusives to PC. Especially if it means that these titles will be crossplay. I have seen in the past people argue that MS should keep going this way, but the other argument is that there's no reason to own consoles if their exclusives go to PC, basically diluting the console userbase. Like I said in another thread, damned if they do and damned if they don't. Sony does a good job at keeping console exclusives on consoles and there is rarely a voice of opposition against this asking for Sony exclusives to be on PC.

Do you think MS is doing the right thing trying to expand their reach into PC or do you think they should focus their exclusives just for consoles?

Bessy67

I feel like them bringing stuff to PC is good for everyone. The only fly in the ointment is that console owners still have to pay to play online and PC users don't which as the console and PC experiences get more and more similar is pretty crappy. IMO there will still be a market for a console even if it has no games you can't play on PC because the ease of use.

They haven't really done much to broaden the appeal of the Xbox brand in terms of regions so while doubling down on console exclusivity to become more successful in a handful of regions makes sense in some way, it also seems short sighted and regressive for not much of a guaranteed benefit as opposed to their current trajectory of a unified ecosystem.

but the other argument is that there's no reason to own consoles if their exclusives go to PC, basically diluting the console userbase.

...I've never been sure as to what the consequences for this actually are?
At worst, it's a bunch of people no longer paying for Xbox Live, I guess.

Armaros

...I've never been sure as to what the consequences for this actually are?
At worst, it's a bunch of people no longer paying for Xbox Live, I guess.

Or companies paying licenses to put games on Xbox. And Xbox Live is a huge part of the revenue. It's stable, it requires now no more expense beyond maintence.

Abandoning that is a tall order.

nynt9

Why do we suppose that they have to make a console? For 3 gens they've failed to be the "best" player in the game, and they don't seem to be getting better at it. They can just exit that space like they exited MP3 players and let others who are better at it handle it. Focus on growing a robust PC platform instead.

As a PC gamer primarily, I don't really care if they exit the console space. Honestly, I don't even care if they exit the PC space because they don't have a lot of exclusives and what they do have doesn't appeal to me at all, and the Windows store is terrible (along with the UWP philosophy).

I think they're fine doing both. There's a market for console gamers and a market for PC gamers. Why not have games available to both? Doesn't hurt either.

I appreciate Microsoft bringing its games over to the PC. It's nice being able to play Gears of War 4 on the same day as Xbox .

Unfortunately, the entire process is so half assed, it's super depressing. Having to go through the awful Windows 10 store to play these games is a travesty.

Corpekata

Banned
The market of "Has a powerful gaming PC but can be swayed to purchase a gaming console via exclusives" is not a large market. It looks like it is on here, but the average consumer, they are not even aware the games are on PC.

But realistically they need to work on their stable of "console exclusives" in the first place.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Seems likely only releasing their games on the Xbox platform would be a good decision, if they want to maximize the marketability of their consoles.

Especially if they aren't going to put out a serious platform on PC. The half assed Windows store is some bullshit.

Malio

MS has had plenty of chances in the past to "expand their reach into PC", but they've lied/failed at it many, many times...and we don't forget.

As a primarily PC gamer, I don't mind them bringing their Xbone exclusives to PC, honestly none of their exclusives do anything for me anyway, and have no clue as to why they are doing it. I think it's stupid, there's now ZERO compelling reason for me, or just about any PC gamer, to get an Xbone. I'm just sitting back and watching them fuck up at at this point.

Wedzi

Banned
They should focus on creating a dedicated Xbox store front like steam instead of cramming 80GB games down that poor Windows Store for starters.

PC is the best thing they've done in a while lately so yes they should.

Doesn't mean I want them to keep pushing UWP in it's current state though. They should definitely work on that until it is open or just give it up all together and put everything on Steam.

Xbox fans are clearly going to keep buying Xbox's, no reason to lose out on all those potential PC sales, even as limited as they've made it (W10 only, Windows Store only) they still make them money I'm sure, plus with Scorpio I imagine the line between Xbox and PC will be blurred even further so much so that it would be little effort to just keep releasing both.

Lister

Banned
The market of "Has a powerful gaming PC but can be swayed to purchase a gaming console via exclusives" is not a large market. It looks like it is on here, but the average consumer, they are not even aware the games are on PC.

But realistically they need to work on their stable of "console exclusives" in the first place.

The market of players wiht powerful gaming PC's is larger than the console install base or atleast as large. If you mean the slice of PC gamers that give a shit about your average console exclusive, then yes, that's probably a much smaller market.

Re-reading your post, I think that's precisely what you were saying?

I'm not sure.

I loved their approach to PC, but since they cancelled Scalebound, I'm no longer interested in their software. So, I am done supporting them.

Despite what you see on GAF, people aren't forsaking the Xbox in droves now that their games are on PC.

If anything, their games being on PC can at least add some extra sales to the ones that may need it.

Outrun

Why do we suppose that they have to make a console? For 3 gens they've failed to be the "best" player in the game, and they don't seem to be getting better at it. They can just exit that space like they exited MP3 players and let others who are better at it handle it. Focus on growing a robust PC platform instead.

As a PC gamer primarily, I don't really care if they exit the console space. Honestly, I don't even care if they exit the PC space because they don't have a lot of exclusives and what they do have doesn't appeal to me at all, and the Windows store is terrible (along with the UWP philosophy).

Now, tell us how you really feel? :)

I think they should continue with their PC initiative.

Iorv3th

I don't think they have even started to focus on PC gaming. They have a half hearted attitude towards it and aren't really focusing on it. The Windows 10 store exclusivity is a joke, especially with how poorly that store functions and has functioned for several years now (seeing as it's the same implementation was t he Windows 8 store).

I think they should focus on Windows as an ecosystem, and the next "Xbox" should be a Windows HTPC. However, this would all be tied together with a slick big picture mode, a usable store, AMD & Nvidia automated driver updates through Windows Update, and publisher buy-in to make PC games more one-click friendly. Basically, a Steam Machine done correctly with a non-Linux based OS.

I just don't see the value for them to keep pushing Xbox as a separated ecosystem - Microsoft's much better off focusing on Windows and their cloud services than a hardware gaming appliance.

Lister

Banned
MS has had plenty of chances in the past to "expand their reach into PC", but they've lied/failed at it many, many times...and we don't forget.

If they would have played their cards right, I'm 90% sure they could have been in Steam's spot. Maybe even doing better if they had been willing to go all out for Pc like they did for Xbox, AND if they were smart and tech savvy enough to do at least some of the things Steam did.

Instead, Valve did those things, and the rest is history.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The question is moot because Microsoft's CEO made it clear that he views the company as an integrated whole and that one of the things that means for gaming is not prioritizing their standalone hardware over their operating system. *shrug*

They should focus on creating a dedicated Xbox store front like steam instead of cramming 80GB games down that poor Windows Store for starters.

I don't know anything about the windows store but this seems like a good direction to me.

I couldn't care less about playing on pc anymore so the fact that games release on both doesn't impact me.

If they released games I wanted to play I'd but an Xbox to play them.

The games being on PC are irrelevant to most gamers since comparatively few people game high end on PC. High hundreds of thousands to low millions vs tens of millions gaming on consoles. It's only a true 'problem' in console warrior forum posts where PC gaming exists in a quantum superposition where it matters when it takes away Xbox exclusives but is irrelevant in all other cases. The true issue is a lack of prestige projects that can generate hype and momentum. Halo, Gears, Forza sell well but are not really genres in vogue right now and the franchises don't get as many people excited as they used to. The lack of a few notable Japanese titles is unfortunate although not a major driver of sales.

On PC their most pressing issue is that the w10 store sucks and nobody wants to use it for gaming.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have no interest in buying one, but I want them to continue making consoles only to keep Sony honest.

Elandyll

Banned

If you mean the slice of PC gamers that give a shit about your average console action adventure, on rails game, then yes, that's probably a much smaller market.

Re-reading your post, I think that's precisely what you were saying?

Yeah the let's persuade this PC gamer wiht high end rig to go console, is probably a very small slice of the pie.
Jesus.

Never change man, your disdain bordering on hatred for consoles just oozes.

Go forth, my PC Master Race man! /Smh

On topic, it allows for more people to play the games and it's Win 10 anyway, so might as well release on PC.

Yawnny

Keep pushing on PC so we can actually play Xbox Exclusives in native 4K.

Xbox One S is in no way a 4K platform and I have absolutley no faith that Scorpio will have the power for native 4K.

See, the best thing about having their first party games on PC for consumers is that us PC only gamers who aren't interested in buying a console just for a handful of games can now try out those games without having to also spend the money on a console. This goes for those who aren't interested in the Xbox ecosystem as well when the inevitable interesting first party game comes along yet still isn't enough to get them to buy the console.

The best thing for MS is that is a sale that they otherwise would not have gotten.

The worst part of the whole thing is the state of UWP. But if it's something that can be changed then we should be lobbying for it. If it can't then we should be lobbying for the games to be put on PC elsewhere. But this whole sentiment that UWP is bad therefore MS should keep their games off PC is just ridiculous and comes off as absolutely fanboyish and is the complete opposite of wanting a healthy industry.

coughlanio

I want them to basically tie together the Windows and Xbox ecosystem. The games, features etc, are all the same, and the Xbox is just a baseline 'PC' for developers to target. The Xbox Live subscription could be seen as more of means to lower the price of said box, which should justify it's existence.

Lister

Banned
Jesus.

Never change man, your disdain bordering on hatred for consoles just oozes.

Go forth, my PC Master Race man! /Smh

Lol, Everytime I see your name you're attacking someone on a personal level on this board. What I said is pretty much borne out by the numbers. PC gaming market is large, and aside form a a handful of titles, very console-centric games don't sell on it.

But keep on calling people you disagree with PC master race. Pretty sure that's bannable, BTW.

The games being on PC are irrelevant to most gamers since comparatively few people game high end on PC. High hundreds of thousands to low millions vs tens of millions gaming on consoles. It's only a true 'problem' in console warrior forum posts where PC gaming exists in a quantum superposition where it matters when it takes away Xbox exclusives but is irrelevant in all other cases. The true issue is a lack of prestige projects that can generate hype and momentum. Halo, Gears, Forza sell well but are not really genres in vogue right now and the franchises don't get as many people excited as they used to. The lack of a few notable Japanese titles is unfortunate although not a major driver of sales.

On PC their most pressing issue is that the w10 store sucks and nobody wants to use it for gaming.

Halo and Gears were mind bendingly awesome when they launched.

Microsoft hasn't attempted to do anything as amazing since.

I think Microsoft is getting past the idea of consoles and PC as these discrete entities. They're delivering the same games, apps, and services on both. At some point, Scorpio is just another PC they're producing internally for the couch gaming audience.

jviggy43

I think Microsoft is getting past the idea of consoles and PC as these discrete entities. They're delivering the same games, apps, and services on both. At some point, Scorpio is just another PC they're producing internally for the couch gaming audience.

This. I actually would prefer them to just make the move of a hybrid console-PC scorpio. I thought that was the direction they were going when they announced the xb1, would make a lot of sense.

They should focus on both. Its baffled me how they have treated their own operating system when it comes to games. What needs to happen is their need to use Windows store for their software. No one uses that trash and forcing people to use it in order to play their games on PC is and will never work. GFWL put the biggest black mark on Microsoft as a PC publisher.

Lol, do you ever have something intelligent to say? Overtime I see your name you're attacking someone on a personal level on this board.

What I said is pretty much borne out by the numbers. PC gaming market is large, and aside form a a handful of titles, very console-centric games don't sell on it.

But keep on calling people PC master race, jerk. Pretty sure that's bannable, BTW.

Well, while the pc market is bigger now its all free to play MMOs and Facebook type games that generate most of the money.

Traditionally monetised gaming is still dominated by console.

Lol, do you ever have something intelligent to say? Overtime I see your name you're attacking someone on a personal level on this board.

What I said is pretty much borne out by the numbers. PC gaming market is large, and aside form a a handful of titles, very console-centric games don't sell on it.

But keep on calling people PC master race, jerk. Pretty sure that's bannable, BTW.

A lot of well known developers seem to prioritize their games for consoles, did you have a point other than making it appear console gaming is for children?

Lister

Banned
Well, while the pc market is bigger now its all free to play MMOs and Facebook type games that generate most of the money.

Traditionally monetised gaming is still dominated by console.

Holy shit. What year is this?

A lot of well known developers seem to prioritize their games for consoles, did you have a point other than making it appear console gaming is for children?

Most multi-platform games run and look better on PC - if they are prioritizing consoles... then they're doing it wrong. The only making console gamers appear childish, is you three.

I think the only people who are against their PC initiative are those who are invested in console wars. Otherwise, why else would you be against it? It's not taking away from their console market, and if it is, the numbers must be insignificant and/or worth the trade-off because it gives them a better public image, brings more business to their ecosystem, etc.

Top Bottom