• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo have dropped the gamepad back in 2013 to reduce console price?

RedSwirl

No. You people made up your mind that you didn't want one. If good games can't sell a console nothing can.

Also in 2013 the regular complaints online were that Nintendo was confusing the consumer with what the Wii U was and I don't see how an entirely new SKU without the GamePad would have made that situation better.

This. It really wouldn't matter after the market decided to reject the GamePad. You take it away and what you have left is an Xbox 360 with no third party support and a few really good Nintendo games. I don't think dropping it would boost stales much at all, just like dropping the price probably wouldn't boost sales that much.

The only effective way to remove the GamePad would be to go back and time and design the Wii U around an entirely different idea that actually does resonate with the market.

Maybe I'm the only one but looking at the people on the map already takes a while for me since the lines leading from the profile pics seem to blend together since the screen is so low res. So having a higher res version on main screen would actually be faster to me.

Oh, I don't disagree with the complaints about the lines on the screen. Those are way too tiny.

That said, I've always just tapped the actual location of my teammate, rather than their profile picture. It's much faster that way since I don't have to trace the line.

TI82

Banned
I remember reading that Nintendo opted to make the Wii U weaker rather than increasing the size of the console as they were dead set on giving it a low profile.

Well that's a weird goal to shoot for

Oh, I don't disagree with the complaints about the lines on the screen. Those are way too tiny.

That said, I've always just tapped the actual location of my teammate, rather than their profile picture. It's much faster that way since I don't have to trace the line.

Maybe but then the little circle thing is also so small lol. Just both are not good

Maybe I'm the only one but looking at the people on the map already takes a while for me since the lines leading from the profile pics seem to blend together since the screen is so low res. So having a higher res version on main screen would actually be faster to me.

Using the analog would be painfully slow and inaccurate. If we were using a mouse, then yeah, but analog sticks are horrible for such tasks in my opinion.

Referring to ink strikes btw

Yes. But it is too late. But more importantly they should have marketed a console that people understood was a new console.

I almost never pick up the gamepad when I don't need to do anything in the system menus. They could have fixed that.

klee123

For me, yes.

It was needlessly big and the majority of the games by Nintendo themselves didn't even utilize it well.

It's even more hilarious when you have a developer who made an exclusive Wii U title recommending to potential buyers of their game to use a pro controller instead of the tablet lite controller.

Should have dropped it, replaced it with a pro controller and priced it to 150-200.

TI82

Banned
Using the analog would be painfully slow and inaccurate. If we were using a mouse, then yeah, but analog sticks are horrible for such tasks in my opinion.

Referring to ink strikes btw

dont have that power yet, but it seems to be just like the boss mode on pvz garden war fare?

I know you're being sarcastic, but tbh the gamepad is heavy and even cramps up my hands.

I never get this one. How can anything cramp your hands that rests on your lap? But i give you that, nothing ever will be as comfortable as a Wiimote plus nunchuck.

Maybe but then the little circle thing is also so small lol. Just both are not good

True, I guess the developers didn't want the jump points to overlap each other too much (they kinda already do now, anyways).

I do recommend you try super-jumping by tapping the teammate directly, though. It'll save you some time even if you may flub it a little.

greg400

Banned
That's the thing, how would the list refer to the Squid Beakons? Numbering them won't work because you'd run into the problem of having to look up a number in order to find the beakon you want to jump to, instead of just immediately selecting the beakon itself. And I hope you realize how slow cycling through the beakons (+ other jump points) would be in comparison to how the touchscreen works.

Also, a lot of shooters don't keep entire maps visible on screen during normal gameplay, usually a radar system or something of the sort. Furthermore, maps that do get displayed are typically as barebones as possible to prevent screen clutter. Let's contrast that with Splatoon which can have:

-Ink trails (which can potentially mask enemy/ink colors behind it)
-Teammate locations
-Enemy locations
-Object locations (Squid Beakons, Mines, etc)
-Objective locations and statuses

All of these need to constantly be on display in order for the map to work as it does now. Are you going to argue that the combination of all of these elements would not be distracting or take up a lot of screen real estate?

Wrong. There can be up to 12 Squid Beakons, 3 per teammate. The spawn point and the 3 teammates brings the maximum possible amount of jump points to 16. Good luck trying to sort through that in quick fashion.

You put them in a list, show them the mini-map, then highlight which one is selected currently, done.

This is what the map needs to look like:
SplatoonMapScreen.png

That is not difficult to shrink. The map is smaller than a 480p Resolution, Splatoon runs in 720p.

And if that actually is the squid beacon limit, if a team actually has that many out in the field they are wasting their time and ink.

The gamepad isn't the problem. .

The gamepad, and subsequently the price of the console, is part of the problem. The console remained too expensive against competitors (new and last gen). Nintendo could have dropped the gamepad and used some resources to develop a smartphone/tablet app method for those games that really need that second screen.

Instead they are still selling a $300 console with older titles still hovering around their original MSRP, a terrible value against either cheaper last-gen consoles with huge catalogs of discount titles or barely more expensive new consoles with last-year's hot games receiving frequent discounts to entice price-conscious buyers.

.Anema

Nope, I love the gamepad, I play a lot of virtual consola games on it, also it still have a lot of funny uses like in Splatoon or Zombi U, and it adds a special way to play Shovel Knight for example.
And for Netflix or Youtube its a great interface, not mentioning the web browser on the pad/tv is awesome.

Gsnap

And if that actually is the squid beacon limit, if a team actually has that many out in the field they are wasting their time and ink.

nnnnnnnnope. Beacons are amazing. Having the map covered in your beacons really helps put the enemy on the back foot.

jholmes

nnnnnnnnope. Beacons are amazing. Having the map covered in your beacons really helps put the enemy on the back foot.

Interesting side-effect of this thread is finding out how many people don't know what they're talking about as far as Splatoon goes. If you play without ever looking at the GamePad screen, to say nothing of actually touching it, you're probably dragging your team down.

greg400

Banned
Interesting side-effect of this thread is finding out how many people don't know what they're talking about as far as Splatoon goes. If you play without ever looking at the GamePad screen, to say nothing of actually touching it, you're probably dragging your team down.

Lol, yet I carry my team every game and miraculously got to an A- rank.

RE_Player

Btw.. laying in my bed right now, playing advance wars on the gamepad. I rest my case.
The question wasn't brought up to debate ones enjoyment received through the many uses of the Gamepad, it's to discuss the market performance of the Wii U and whether or not dropping the Gamepad would have any effect.

No, but it's time for a slim version.

Something that doesn't feel like Fisher Price and has decent battery life.

That would be a great bundle. They used to do it!

NES + 4 Controllers + 3 games, why not

754776600_v2_4_Big.jpg

I wouldn't call it a great bundle if it missed 10hz.

The question wasn't brought up to debate ones enjoyment received through the many uses of the Gamepad, it's to discuss the market performance of the Wii U and whether or not dropping the Gamepad would have any effect.

Which I already answered before.

OK.

Start playing properly and you'll get to S no problem because apparently you're Superman.

You have to admire his performance regarding his handicap.

greg400

Banned
That's just going to be your answer all night isn't it?

Sure why not, when people start criticizing your skill level, claiming you don't know shit and have never played the game. God forbid you think of something that would actually make the game better. The game isn't perfect.

Hylian7

Question for those who are replying with "no".

Would you be disappointed if the NX doesn't support the gamepad?

Nope, not at all, since the Gamepad was one of the key features of the Wii U, I'm sure the NX will have something different. It would be like being disappointed that I can't use my SNES controllers on my N64.

Sure why not, when people start criticizing your skill level, claiming you don't know shit and have never played the game. God forbid you think of something that would actually make the game better. The game isn't perfect.

Based on what you've said about not being able to play and use the second screen, I'm sure folks still feel the same way. Throwing out your rank over and over is just silly at this point. Maybe you could just consider that some people don't find your opinions "better". You're more than welcome to them, but your rank doesn't make you the definitive source.

Gamepad or not; the Wii U just wasn't an exciting system. Awful showing after awful showing. Mass confusion. Little to no transparency of features. The system was big question mark and nobody cared or wanted to figure it out.

Q: Should Nintendo have dropped the Gamepad?

A: 16 SQUID BEACONS

Nintendo would've figured something out for that very specific example that keeps getting brought up, I'm fairly certain.

Teppic

No, the gamepad is awesome. I don't see how some potential sales and a downgrade of the controller would make the console better for me.

You put them in a list, show them the mini-map, then highlight which one is selected currently, done.

You failed to address how you would go about actually selecting them in a way that is faster than simply tapping them on the touchscreen.

This is what the map needs to look like:
SplatoonMapScreen.png

That is not difficult to shrink. The map is smaller than a 480p Resolution, Splatoon runs in 720p.

The ink trails on the map alone is enough to raise some flags, because a transparent overlay can cause confusion over what would actually be behind the map. Would players be able to easily tell which color is on the mini-map and which color is on the ground to their bottom-right (or bottom-left, whatever)? What about all the icons that will be flashing all over the place that can potentially obscure even more of the playing field?

As for the size, shrinking can create some problems with the visibility of the elements on the map. I personally find the map on the Gamepad to be too small already lol.

This is an irrelevant point, however. If the time to choose a jump point increases with each Squid Beakon placed, then that represents a design flaw. The time to access a jump point should be the same whether there are twelve Squid Beakons or zero.

Halabane

No. It actually was a good idea. If they had actually charged more money and made it better quality product, especially if it had supported the 3rd party games they could be in good shape now.

bachikarn

Yep found a link back to GAF. Might only be a rumor. Haven't re-read the thread.

Wii U GPU base specs: 160 ALUs, 8 TMUs, 8 ROPs; Rumor: Wii U hardware was downgraded

Lol, the idea of making the console be behind the scene is what killed them from a marketing perspective. They made the gamepad the face of the console and people just thought it was a Wii accessory as a result. I hope those same people have learned some lessons on what the consumer actually wants. No many western gamers care about small size and power efficient consoles.

greg400

Banned
Based on what you've said, I'm sure folks still feel the same way. Throwing out your rank over and over is just silly at this point. Maybe you could just consider that some people don't find your opinions "better". You're more than welcome to them, but your rank doesn't make you the definitive source.
Clearly not if someone just said "don't know what I'm talking about as far as Splatoon goes"

And I never said it's a definitive source, it is however something that backs up my claims.

Q: Should Nintendo have dropped the Gamepad?

A: 16 SQUID BEACONS

Nintendo would've figured something out for that very specific example that keeps getting brought up, I'm fairly certain.

:lol

You failed to address how you would go about actually selecting them in a way that is faster than simply tapping them on the touchscreen.
"simply let the player to cycle through them using the D-Pad."

The ink trails on the map alone is enough to raise some flags, because a transparent overlay can cause confusion over what would actually be behind the map. Would players be able to easily tell which color is on the mini-map and which color is on the ground to their bottom-right (or bottom-left, whatever)? What about all the icons that will be flashing all over the place that can potentially obscure even more of the playing field?
'My first baby GUI lesson', put a black background behind the map.

As for the size, shrinking can create some problems with the visibility of the elements on the map. I personally find the map on the Gamepad to be too small already lol.
Depends on your TV size, for some cases it would be bigger. Take Mario Kart 8's map for example, on a 32" TV the onscreen map is bigger than the GamePad map.

This is an irrelevant point, however. If the time to choose a jump point increases with each Squid Beakon placed, then that represents a design flaw. The time to access a jump point should be the same whether there are twelve Squid Beakons or zero.
Nah it really isn't, if your entire case is based around having 16 squid beacons your case is flawed.

Gsnap

Show me a game where there are 16 beacons on the map then.

It's not the 16 (which actually 12, btw. 12 beacons plus 3 teammates, plus 1 spawn point), it's the fact that every player gets 3. That's the important part. You suggested that if your teammates who have beacons are placing their beacons throughout the map at a high rate then their wasting time and ink, and that's just incorrect. It's a very good thing to have multiple beacons throughout the map, so it's good that the game allows the player to set up 3 total. Because if you only have one teammate with beacons, having 3 is a huge benefit. So naturally, because it's possible for there to be a total of 12 beacons and a sum total of 16 jump points, it's far, far more beneficial for the player to be able to jump using the simple, effortless tap of a touchscreen than shuffling through 12-16 icons. It's even better than shuffling through 6 or 8 or 4 icons. Also, having beacons on the touch screen simply opens the player up to more options than if they had to go through menus. There's some pretty sweet beacon tech you can do by jumping to them in the middle of a fire fight, or right after evading an enemy. You can use them for far more than just jumping to after dying. You can actually incorporate them into your moment to moment play because they're so seamlessly integrated. Being able to access them as quickly as possible is just plain better and it raises the skill ceiling.

Point is, I would love it if my teammates "wasted" their ink to fill the map up with beacons, and using the touchscreen makes them easier to use and more useful, so I must disagree with you.

J@hranimo

Banned
Let's face it. The WiiU desperately could have used a price drop two years ago.

The gamepad is a gigantic factor to the cost of the WiiU. It also happens to be an uncomfortable, heavy controller. Lots of people also prefer to use the pro controller, myself included.

Anyways, let's say the console dropped to as low as $199.99 if Nintendo dropped the gamepad, would you have bought one? Would there have been more hope or success for this console back in 2013 if Nintendo just dropped the gamepad?

Ok first, I can never understand how people say the gamepad is heavy. It's not as light as the Pro Controller, but heavy? I can't see it and I think I have "average" sized hands.

Specifically for the bolded, no. As much as I like the current games on it and a number coming later in the year dropping the gamepad probably would not have helped it much. It might help the "lol is it a Wii tablet accessory?" confusion but even then...not many would buy it because it is still underpowered compared to the other consoles.

We would have gotten most of the same games as they are now but the console really wouldn't have anything to make it stick out positively from the XBO and PS4. The same suspects would complain about the lack of games and no 3rd party support. We would probably just sit at 12 million WW instead of 10 million WW now :p

greg400

Banned
It's not the 16 (which actually 12, btw. 12 beacons plus 3 teammates, plus 1 spawn point), it's the fact that every player gets 3. That's the important part. You suggested that if your teammates who have beacons are placing their beacons throughout the map at a high rate then their wasting time and ink, and that's just incorrect. It's a very good thing to have multiple beacons throughout the map, so it's good that the game allows the player to set up 3 total. Because if you only have one teammate with beacons, having 3 is a huge benefit. So naturally, because it's possible for there to be a total of 12 beacons and a sum total of 16 jump points, it's far, far more beneficial for the player to be able to jump using the simple, effortless tap of a touchscreen than shuffling through 12-16 icons. It's even better than shuffling through 6 or 8 or 4 icons. Also, having beacons on the touch screen simply opens the player up to more options than if they had to go through menus. There's some pretty sweet beacon tech you can do by jumping to them in the middle of a fire fight, or right after evading an enemy. You can use them for far more than just jumping to after dying. You can actually incorporate them into your moment to moment play because they're so seamlessly integrated. Being able to access them as quickly as possible is just plain better and it raises the skill ceiling.

Point is, I would love it if my teammates "wasted" their ink to fill the map up with beacons, and using the touchscreen makes them easier to use and more useful, so I must disagree with you.

I'm still waiting for a high level video of tons of squid beacons being placed. I've seen maybe one situational tech to it on Flounder Heights.

Nanashrew

Banned

I remember being utterly destroyed by a team a couple of days ago. They had so many beakons on the field and we were stuck at home base unable to do anything in the last 30 seconds of the match.

Getting to the S via skill isn't the problem, having the amount of time that is necessary to get to an S rank is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ0LhmcTneo
Do you see 16 squid beacons in these matches?

I'm assuming you just mean jump points.

Regardless, it is not uncommon to have at least 7 potential jump points for a team. Let's take your list idea. What if you are currently selecting jump point #1 and need to go to jump point #6? What is the fastest way to do that without touch controls? How would you even know how long the list is? Is there enough space on the screen to hold all 16 potential jump points, or do you need to scroll through them? What if you have currently selected a squid beakon jump point, but that gets destroyed? What do you have selected then?

Frankly, I think that a list would be a lot more disorienting than anything.

This. It really wouldn't matter after the market decided to reject the GamePad. You take it away and what you have left is an Xbox 360 with no third party support and a few really good Nintendo games. I don't think dropping it would boost stales much at all, just like dropping the price probably wouldn't boost sales that much.

The only effective way to remove the GamePad would be to go back and time and design the Wii U around an entirely different idea that actually does resonate with the market.

The Wii U could have been a really great secondary system to people, like the Wii was to PS3 or 360 owners. The lack of third party doesn't matter because it would have been used for Nintendo games and third party stuff bought on the primary console.

But people aren't gonna spend a lot on a secondary system, it really needed a low price of entry.

I'm still waiting for an acceptable price on one, until then I stick to gaming on PS4.

greg400

Banned
I'm assuming you just mean jump points.

Regardless, it is not uncommon to have at least 7 potential jump points for a team. Let's take your list idea. What if you are currently selecting jump point #1 and need to go to jump point #6? What is the fastest way to do that without touch controls? How would you even know how long the list is? Is there enough space on the screen to hold all 16 potential jump points, or do you need to scroll through them? What if you have currently selected a squid beakon jump point, but that gets destroyed? What do you have selected then?

Frankly, I think that a list would be a lot more disorienting than anything.

Funny, because a list is literally already on the GamePad screen of your teammates and could be longer if it were on the TV.

Fast cycle through the list while it highlights the selected beacon or player, it's not that complicated.

lupinko

No.

The WiiU's problems really stem from Nintendo's troubled relationship with third parties post-SNES.

The N64 had Nintendo and Rare exclusives in addition to Western third party support, yet lacked Japanese support. Western markets kept the N64 sort of competitive against the PSX.

The GameCube tried to bring back Japanese support, but the PS2 was just too much of a sales and gaming phenomenon. The GameCube did have decent third party support compared to what would follow.

The Wii was a sales phenomenon in the face of a changing gaming landscape. Third parties tried to cash in but unless you had Just Dance and maybe a plastic instrument game, if you weren't a Nintendo game you'd be largely ignored.

The WiiU continues Nintendo hubris and their inability to communicate with third parties, most notably with Western developers, who for the most part dictate where the industry goes at the moment. How they completely lost EA is completely ridiculous regardless of what you think of EA. Also failure in securing big titles like a port of GTAV. Say what you want about halfassed Ubisoft open world games, but GTAV would be able sell units on WiiU.

Unless they fix that, their situation will continue with NX.

Nanashrew

Banned
Many have super jumped away from death when I was attacking them. It's a quick reaction movement by clicking on a team member without wasting time of opening a menu.

Gsnap

I'm still waiting for a high level video of tons of squid beacons being placed. I've seen maybe one situational tech to it on Flounder Heights.

The fact is that it's possible, it raises the skill ceiling, and it's better and faster than your jury-rigged "solution". So why should I want to play the game your way when it lowers the skill ceiling and slows everything down?

Your "Cycle through using a d-pad" method is simply not better than "Just tap the one you want".

greg400

Banned
Many have super jumped away from death when I was attacking them. It's a quick reaction movement by clicking on a team member without wasting time of opening a menu.

Menu method: Press select, press A
Current: Look down, find something on the map that you can tap, look back up

The fact is that it's possible, it raises the skill ceiling, and it's better and faster than your jury-rigged "solution". So why should I want to play the game your way when it lowers the skill ceiling and slows everything down?

Your "Cycle through using a d-pad" method is simply not better than "Just tap the one you want".

I'm waiting for the video of this skill ceiling, if no high level player uses it then there is little value to it in a skill ceiling discussion.

Top Bottom