• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo just cancel Game & Wario for other regions?

hatchx

Banned
This will be the title that shows if Nintendo has learned anything from the past five years. This will not fly as a $60 retail title.

If they launch this game at 60, I might just sell off my Wii U. It proves that they have absolutely no clue - no clue at all.

It's sad too, because if they launched Game and Wario as a 19.99 eshop game, I think it would be quite a success and would be well-worth that entry price.

I think the OP is right in a way, they should not release this game as a retail game. Rather, a cheaper eshop game.

Not only is it a better showcase of the Game Pad than Nintendo Land, it's a more unique game too. It's got the music, style, character's and humor of WarioWare, just with slightly longer experiences. Is it the Greatest Nintendo Game Ever (tm)? No, of course not. But Wario has fans and there are multiple people in the thread who have already said they should buy it. I say this as someone who's played for 11 hours.

This isn't the type of game people are necessarily going to rush to get on release day. It could have long legs, maybe. Also, it was available on the eshop 2 and a bit hours early according to Twitter, and a lot of people seemed to make snap decisions to get it that way.

It shouldn't be full price in the West ($40~50 would be ideal), and if it bombs, they can always parse up the mini games, sell them individually for $4 along with a multiplayer pack (4 games for $10) and single player pack (12 games for $40), like Bamco did with Tank! Tank! Tank!

EDIT: Gamer is quite possibly the greatest thing to happen to the WarioWare concept ever. Ashley, Fruit, Island, Sketch, Kung-Fu, Taxi, Bird, Pirate, & Patchwork are worth the price of admission.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
As this thread has shown, the only reason anyone even cares about Game & Wario is because it'll make the Wii U library look slightly less-abysmal during the current game drought. But maybe like...three people in the thread have expressed any personal interest.
I'll buy it day one because my interest in it is completely in that the previous games by this team are some of the very best games Nintendo has put out in the last ten years. I would buy it day one if there was 5 other games coming out that day. I doubt I'd want any of them more.

Madao

wtf. why don't they cancel the next Zelda instead? after all, the last one bombed in japan too.

this game needs a low price. it isn't the type of game that could be sold for $60. $30 like Rhythm Heaven or less would be good (but RH bombed even at $30 so i dunno....)

Piers

I watched a fair bit into Game & Wario and all I really see is a budget-cut NintendoLand. It doesn't seem any different to it from a general standpoint.

I haven't played it and you have so I obviously can't say, but is adding unnecessary stress and tension to the gameplay really what Wario Ware needed?

You answered your own question.

EDIT: I want to be clear; you may not like it. In fact, everyone in the West may hate it. etc etc

BooJoh

I love the WarioWare series and am looking forward to this one as well.

The only reason someone should ever argue for the cancellation of a game is if there's some ethical justification for the game's cancellation, and even then it's debatable within the "games as art" debate.

I never understood people wanting a company to cancel a game that they personally don't want just because their own anecdotal evidence shows no demand for the game. You don't want it? Don't buy it. Game & Wario isn't replacing the next AAA Nintendo title, and from the very small sampling of people posting in this thread you can see that there are some of us who want it.

Is this gonna be a thing in every Wii U related thread from now on?
I'm interested in the system but seems like most Wii U related threads are reduced to jokes and drive-by remarks that add absolutely nothing to the discussion.

It's the same exact thing that happened when 3DS came out and every other thread was a "3DS doomed, Nintendo doomed." thread. Where are those threads now? I guess they stopped posting them after 3DS was officially pulled and Nintendo went to iOS... oh wait.

Javier

Western release has been confirmed for Pikmin 3 and people are still asking for it.

Western release has been confirmed for Animal Crossing: Jump Out and people are still asking for it.

Western release has been confirmed for Smash 4 and people are still asking for it.
Pikmin 3 is a game that's been delayed for years and Animal Crossing New Leaf goes back to E3 2010. People are asking for those games because they're tired of waiting. And might I add, things have calmed down for AC:NL since it now has an estimated release.

And Smash Bros, dude? Really? That's the series everyone is always asking and speculating about. You couldn't have picked a more unfair comparison.

zroid

Banned
I watched a fair bit into Game & Wario and all I really see is a budget-cut NintendoLand. It doesn't seem any different to it from a general standpoint.

It does seem a bit too much like Nintendo Land, which is probably my main problem. I feel like they should have waited another year or so before giving us another arcade-style collection of games. I do think it has a stronger single player focus, however.

But, in any case, it's weird how many WarioWare fans are so incredibly dismissive of Game & Wario, when one of the most appealing things about the series was its weird sense of humour and style, which Game & Wario most definitely has, in spades. Pirates, for example, is one of the weirdest freaking things I've ever seen in a Nintendo game. And that's awesome.

Even if the gameplay is different, the rest of the WarioWare style is absolutely here. I certainly hope it's a ~$30-40 budget title, but I definitely think it has the quality to warrant a 50 dollar price tag. Based on the hour or so of footage I've seen, anyway.

It does seem a bit too much like Nintendo Land, which is probably my main problem. I feel like they should have waited another year or so before giving us another arcade-style collection of games. I do think it has a stronger single player focus, however.

This. It is a problem that this is coming out now, right after Nintendo Land, and likely a big reason for the low numbers (in conjunction with 'spin-off' syndrome and general apathy toward Wii U in Japan right now).

It does however have a much stronger single player focus than Nintendo Land. 1/4 of the 16 games are multi-player (2-5) player and there are 2 single player games which have a 2 player mode. As there are 12 save files and records are shared across files, it seems you are meant to compete using those.

Game & Wario does seem a bit half-assed. It reminds me of those Wii Play game collections.
Would have made much more sense to pump that development budget into a new 2D Wario game or something,
like a remake of Wario Land VB on 3DS.

Davey Cakes

They need to release every game that they make, period. If they don't want to bother with manufacturing costs, release it on the eShop at least. Game & Wario might not be some hot ticket item but any additions to the Wii U's library to make it a more attractive platform are very much welcomed. Besides, even if we put aside new console buyers, I bet plenty of the Nintendo "core" players who already have Wii U's would be willing to buy a Wario-related game. It's at least worth a try.

Give it a chance to be a slow burn, if anything. Don't put it out and abandon it like Smooth Moves (which is one of my favorite Wii games, albeit an unpolished experience in terms of controls).

If the game appears as high risk, then Nintendo can choose to bring it closer to budget price.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I hope they don't cancel the game.
I'm not as hyped as I would be for a real WarioWare title, but I'm actually kinda looking forward to it.
And let's face it, the Wii U is in no position to be cancelling games at the moment.

Chatin

I hadn't realized there was such a distaste for this game. I can't wait for it to come out, and I think it looks great. Wario Ware Smooth Moves is one that I was still busting out far after Wii Sports was shelved.

And to suggest it should be budget priced at 20 bucks underestimates the effort put in by the teams to put the product together.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played it and you have so I obviously can't say, but is adding unnecessary stress and tension to the gameplay really what Wario Ware needed?
Unnecessary? The stress and tension is what makes the game. What they're doing in Gamer is a pretty great riff on that concept. So yeah, it's what it really needed.

Davey Cakes

And to suggest it should be budget priced at 20 bucks underestimates the effort put in by the teams to put the product together.
I also don't think pricing it so low will guarantee sales anyway. Nintendo would probably sell just as much whether it was $20 or $30. I think the latter is a fair budget price for a new game that has low sales expectations. Nintendo still needs to make money, after all.

Rhythm Heaven Fever released at $30 and bombed, and that's a beloved late-release Wii game. You never know what it'll take to sell these sorts of games.

If the multiplayer component of Game & Wario is relatively robust, it may have a chance of doing decently.

Davey Cakes

They should just cancel it.

Is not worth it at this point.
In the case of the Wii U, which desperately needs to build a game library, YES it's worth it.

Again, even if Nintendo wanted to avoid distribution costs, they could put the localized version on the eShop.

Nintendo would be moronic to not release this game. There are plenty of potential buyers.

Also, the game has already been demoed to us. I was at PAX. People were playing the game. You can't just demo a game then take it away. Regardless of performance, I'm damn sure Nintendo's intention was always to release G&W in multiple regions.

In the case of the Wii U, which desperately needs to build a game library, YES it's worth it.

Again, even if Nintendo wanted to avoid distribution costs, they could put the localized version on the eShop.

Nintendo would be moronic to not release this game. There are plenty of potential buyers.

Also, the game has already been demoed to us. I was at PAX. People were playing the game. You can't just demo a game then take it away. Regardless of performance, I'm damn sure Nintendo's intention was always to release G&W in multiple regions.

Exactly. At this point, without a Wii Sports-style craze the best they can hope for is critical mass (release enough games that make people bite for all of the value combined) or hope that the game has legs that survive if/when the big 'must-have' game arrives. This applies to almost all the games being released between now and the end of the year.

Unnecessary? The stress and tension is what makes the game. What they're doing in Gamer is a pretty great riff on that concept. So yeah, it's what it really needed.

I feel like the stress and tension should be coming from the micro-games themselves and not from this TV/Gamepad juggling act they have going.

It reminds of the battle system from The World Ends With You. (In other words...not good.)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the stress and tension should be coming from the micro-games themselves and not from this TV/Gamepad juggling act they have going.

It reminds of the battle system from The World Ends With You. (In other words...not good.)
The microgames are a part of the game. That's the point. Too much gameplay I guess.

Pociask

The big question is why Nintendo ever even developed this game in the first place. Why not spend the resources doing something... good?

But yeah, in any case, no, they should bring it over to the west. The Wii U really need more games.

Yes. But they should sell it for 30 bucks (40 max (which, btw, is Gamestop's placeholder price for the game).

javac

Who schedules these games? The same people who write the Bus timetables?

As you might have seen, both Lego City Undercover and Luigi's Mansion 2 released on the same day in the UK, and I think in Europe in general. Two different platforms but still... why not spread them out? Craziness!

Do you just have trouble with games with mechanics that don't have extremely simple mechanics (like TWEWY)? Maybe Game & Wario is too complicated for you.

The microgames are a part of the game. That's the point. Too much gameplay I guess.

Well yeah, too much gameplay at the same time can always be a bad thing.

As you might have seen, both Lego City Undercover and Luigi's Mansion 2 released on the same day in the UK, and I think in Europe in general. Two different platforms but still... why not spread them out? Craziness!

We Americans got LM2 and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3 on the same day. That was REALLY crazy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 110,840 (390,991)
2. [PSP] Fate/Extra CCC – 72,883 (New)
3. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 57,835 (2,976,228)
4. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 – 56,457 (331,082)
5. [PSV] Muramasa Rebirth – 45,660 (New)
6. [Wii U] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online – 33,302 (New)
7. [PSP] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin – 31,738 (New)
8. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2013 – 24,864 (126,254)
9. [PSP] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2013 – 23,135 (103,753)
10. [Wii U] Game & Wario (Nintendo, 03/28/13) – 22,491 (New)
11. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 – 17,180 (77,495)
12. [PSV] Sei Madou Monogatari – 16,050 (New)
13. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix – 15,560 (173,375)
14. [Wii] PreCure All-Stars: Zenin Shuugou Let’s Dance! – 15,373 (New)
15. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment – 13,215 (169,397)
16. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice – 11,577 (148,583)
17. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 10,328 (1,980,388)
18. [3DS] Super Robot Wars UX – 10,011 (144,212)
19. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission – 9,414 (140,208)
20. [PSP] Geten no Hana – 8,644 (New)

It's kinda funny and sad at the same time to see a Vita port of a very niche Wii game outsold two Wii U games having big names (Dragon Quest and Mario/Wario).

I haven't followed Game & Wario that closely but am I right in thinking its just a few tech demos turned in to games?

If it is basically just a minigame collection just release it digital only. The trailer I remember seemed very low on content.

javac

If i was in charge i would not release it overseas, i actually love Wario-Ware but this game looks almost offensive

Why? I mean the time spent on the game won't come back, the game is made and probably fished in regards to everything needed for localisation. Translation, dubbing, box art, the discs could be getting printed soon or even right now depending on when it comes over.

If worse comes to worse they could just release each mini game as a separate download like Guild 01. Or the whole game at a reduced price on shelves and the eshop with incentives like Nintendo Digital Promotion and Club Nintendo stuff. It's not hard.

In any case, with the recent printing problem from Nintendo, they wouldn't have to worry about sales. If the lack of Luigi's Mansion, Pikachu 3DS' and Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter on shelves doesn't bother then then this won't.

Because what the Wii U really needs right now is less games!

The Wii U is lacking in... games! I don't see how cancelling this game will help the Wii U's situation in any way. Heck I don't think it cost Nintendo all that much to develop.

Because what the Wii U really needs right now is less games!

The Wii U is lacking in... games! I don't see how cancelling this game will help the Wii U's situation in any way. Heck I don't think it cost Nintendo all that much to develop.

Does it need bad games?

This thing seems like a real cash in, on iOS I doubt it'd break $10. Selling it for much more than that would possibly leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

Somnid

I haven't followed Game & Wario that closely but am I right in thinking its just a few tech demos turned in to games?

If it is basically just a minigame collection just release it digital only. The trailer I remember seemed very low on content.

It has a lot of similarities with Nintendoland. Highly experimental and yes a lot of them started as tech demos. That said comparing it to Party Games, Smooth Moves, and Touched it looks to be a step up so I'm a little befuddled that people are this critical of it. I guess Nintendo never really validated it in the presence of Nintendoland and Wii Sports shadow over Smooth Moves wasn't as obvious at first due to lower expectations.

Does it need bad games?

This thing seems like a real cash in, on iOS I doubt it'd break $10. Selling it for much more than that would possibly leave a bad taste in people's mouths.
The need for speed u thread seems to be doing okay WiiU owners on GAF clearly not hyper sensitive to pricing.

It has a lot of similarities with Nintendoland. Highly experimental and yes a lot of them started as tech demos. That said comparing it to Party Games, Smooth Moves, and Touched it looks to be a step up so I'm a little befuddled that people are this critical of it. I guess Nintendo never really validated it in the presence of Nintendoland.

I just did some googling and it really looks like a combo pack of half a dozen iPad games. Most of which I would expect to be free or Angry Birds priced. This is the kind of thing that should be digital only and way below even $20.

trinest

Yeah the game seems like its low on content, a digital release would be great for westurners.

Pretty much think of it like Wii Play.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Functional game mechanics aren't tech demos. They are actual games.

Top Bottom