• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should order 1886 get a sequel?

dcelw540

So I just finished the game it had potential to be great but it never was amazing. I still enjoyed it for 20 dollars and a sequel feels needed. The best way I feel about this game is like uncharted 1. It's rough but with a bit of work and more openness it can be great. What do you guys think?

I mean, should based on what metric? It seems like it was a commercial disappointment and RAD have moved on to other things, so, no?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It won't get one because Sony ended their contract with RaD who have started on other projects since Sony owns the IP.

I'd be up for a sequel but it's not happening.

Mik2121

Why not? They probably know what users liked and didn't like out of 1886, if they improved upon that and added whatever extra bits they wanted, I think a cool game could come up out of it.

Yes.

It had lots of problems but the core gunplay was pretty solid. If they can write a better story and do better with the encounter design, I'd play the shit out of a sequel.

Game4life

Banned
No. Plenty of other dev's who actually care about gameplay are available who could use a higher budget. I rather all that money go to From Software for Bloodborne 2 then RAD.

No. Uncharted was a critical and commercial success on release. The Order was a critical flop and the brand is tarnished. RAD is not a WWS studio. Sony should spend their money elsewhere rather than paying RAD to try and fix their broken project.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah. Was hoping for it to be a trilogy but don't see it happening whatsoever.

Trojan

It sounds like the potential is there from what I've read. I still haven't played it because I didn't feel like it justifies a $60 purchase, so I'm hoping for a PSN firesale in the holiday season to give it a go.

Tagyhag

Definitely, it has a good foundation and if they actually applied themselves to the gameplay they could come out with something amazing.

Of course it'll never happen.

daman824

No. Plenty of other dev's who actually care about gameplay are available who could use a higher budget. I rather all that money go to From Software for Bloodborne 2 then RAD.
This. The story was bad, the gameplay was bad, the characters were bad. Give the money to a team that will make a good game with it.

Loudninja

So I just finished the game it had potential to be great but it never was amazing. I still enjoyed it for 20 dollars and a sequel feels needed. The best way I feel about this game is like uncharted 1. It's rough but with a bit of work and more openness it can be great. What do you guys think?
Heck yes.

If buy it in a heart beat. For as much flack as the game gets at least I had fun with it. Could be better obviously, but that's what sequels are for.

Lebron

No. They wasted all that time and money to make a boring, pretty ass game. They got their shot from the PSP ghetto and blew it.

It was a massive flop, wasn't it?

Why double down on failure?

Because sometimes there's a solid premise that can be improved on hugely in a sequel.

Imagine if Sony gave up on Killzone? We'd have never gotten one of the GOAT PS3 era shooters

uIXFK2V.png

Loakum

Banned
Yes, they have an good premise! I can see it becoming Van Hellsing the video game! Just make it longer (much longer) and add some variety to the boss fights.

Because sometimes there's a solid premise that can be improved on hugely in a sequel.

Imagine if Sony gave up on Killzone? We'd have never gotten one of the GOAT PS3 era shooters

uIXFK2V.png

Sony owned the studio that made Killzone. They were more invested in allowing them to spread their wings, and, frankly, they probably felt the PS3 needed a signature FPS at a time when FPS' were the hot shit and Sony didn't have tight relationships with the popular FPS publishers at the time. Sony does not own RAD. By all accounts RAD are off doing their own thing. So this would require Sony to take their own internal resources/studio, or hiring an outside studio, to continue on an IP that isn't all that popular to begin with, in a genre that isn't exactly lacking. They seem like fairly different circumstances to me.

Game4life

Banned
Yes, they have an good premise! I can see it becoming Van Hellsing the video game! Just make it longer (much longer) and add some variety to the boss fights.

You already have a game like that which is made by a team far beyond RAD. It is called Bloodborne.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
No. They wasted all that time and money to make a boring, pretty ass game. They got their shot from the PSP ghetto and blew it.
Pretty much this. It wasn't a bad game, but it was so damn boring that I couldn't care less where the story went, and that's the last effect a story focus game should achieve. I'd rather see the money spent on a sequel put to use elsewhere.

Pastry

Banned
Not at all, the game looked great but was unbelievably dull with absolutely no payoff in the end. I wouldn't want to invest more in that team if I were Sony.

I mean for fucks sake they had these awesome werewolf hybrids as enemies and managed to turn fights with them into the most boring shit this gen.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to. They had a great concept, but it was clear that they were too ambitious and we got something that was not commonly liked. I hope they get another shot, but it's doubtful now.

It seemed like a lackluster first outing, but it's not like there haven't been franchises that have come back from that kind of thing. If you peer hard enough at the game, there's some real potential evident. There's certainly a reason why the game captured by imagination in the buildup to the release more than many other games did this year.

Should it get a sequel though? Should is a really strong, weird word to use here. Would I like it to? Yes. Should it? Debatable. Will it? Probably not.

Yes, please.

But so much of the interactive elements need a complete rethink. If you want cinematic realism to rule, then go whole hog with it and establish a new grammar for player choice. If you want players to examine items, make them important windows into the world that provide the player with background they can put to use, and if it wants to be shooter / adventure, it needs a lot of time for experimentation, iteration and refinement.

But for the art, and the setting, and the possibility that it could be put to good use, hell yeah, give it another shot at some point.

Top Bottom