• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony announce a psVita2/psp3 in response of the nintendo NX being an handheld?

Rootbeer

Banned
I own a Vita and say nay. I also don't trust them to give it proper support and be able to get developers on board, particularly in the west.

They'd probably stick with proprietary storage which has been a huge problem on the vita. Nobody wants to pay those ridiculous prices when cheap microsd cards are available.

With Sony out of the picture in the dedicated portable games market, it gives the NX more breathing room -- and it's going to need it.

meppi

They should but they won't.
They make brilliant handhelds, but for some reason don't put in the work that would make them actually sell.
Like a steady stream of first party games as well as actually marketing the thing. :(

Guymelef

Not really. It sold a good chunk of units, but they might have just given you an eye patch and a peg leg with your purchase because nobody bought software for it. Making it unattractive to retailers and not doing great for Sony because you make your money on software sales not hardware, because the margins just aren't there.

3DS software ratio isn't much better than PSP.

Skyzard

Banned
If my Vita games would be playable on it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat for all the new indies. Sony makes the best handhelds.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Remote play is pretty much the same thing, so no.

No, it's really not.
It's a portable device and you don't always have a steady internet connection. Plus lag.

crinale

The latest mech-based L5 game had a suspicious misterious second portable device with the triangle and X buttons typical of the PS consoles.
PSP3 incoming?

Yeah that one-screen thing being anonymous platform made Japanese gamers think that's NX prototype or something. Then some dude re-winded youtube stream and found X, triangle buttons and such..

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think that a ps4 or ps5 portable(a real ps4 or ps5 in handheld form i mean) isn't that improbable(i wouldn't rule out a xbox1 handheld too), but a handheld with its own hardware and library is impossible and probably we'll never see one ever again even from nintendo, handhelds like we know them are dead.

Eumi

I would love another proper go at it but I'm not sure they want to. Depending on the power of the NX they might not have the bug edge both the paper and vita had over their competitors.

Asd202

Dont buy it then, no one is forcing you :)

I want wRPGs on a handheld if possible.

You won't get it with NX it's too underpowered and if there was something it would have ran like shit. Imagine something as unoptimized as Fallout 4 on something like NX sub 5FPS right there.

NeoRausch

You know what they should do?
They should make mobile remote play available for all mobile devices.
I mean, it already works for most modern Phones when hacked in.

Yay or Nay?

EDIT
What about a PS4 Portable?

definitiva.jpg

All the ps4 games on the go

It's dead jim.

There will never be another Sony handheld.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No. The vita was great hardware. It's failure just showed that there's not a big enough market for a portable focused on Sony/MS type console games.

Nintendo has a stranglehold on what's left of the handheld gaming market.

18-Volt

Vita proves that they don't have any million seller franchise to support the system. Only Persona couldn't be able to save Vita, they needed Monster Hunter.

duvjones

Banned
I don't see the point of Sony putting there effort into a handheld. It seemed that Sony was doing everything that they could to sink the Vita pretty much for the word "go", and no, the Vita never really recovered from the rather horrid idea that they needed to build a device that wasn't going to be seen as all that cost effective.

Sony's need for a pricey, expensive to develop for, luxury machine did them in. Mobile and Handheld's can't really do that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Vita is a great device, but no.

They should continue focusing on where they are leading and what they do best in that arena.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You won't get it with NX it's too underpowered and if there was something it would have ran like shit. Imagine something as unoptimized as Fallout 4 on something like NX sub 5FPS right there.

Thats why i said if possible - i dont know what kind of hardware NX will end up using. Skyrim run on Xbox/PS3 and even in the worst case scenario NX will be alot more potent than WiiU.

Lets wait for actual specs before deciding what is and isnt possible.

Rezae

PSP and Vita are among my favorite systems of all-time, but nope. They didn't want to support the Vita, why would they change their tune now? Sounds like even Nintendo isn't dumb enough to release a handheld-only device.

HotHamBoy

I'm gonna ride my Vita train all the way to the grave, but after two hardware flops in a row (PSP Go and Vuta) and only minor success with the PSP, Sony is done with handhelds.

Unlike Nintendo, Sony can read the writing on the wall. The handheld market can't compete with phones and tablets because everyone already has those and the games are cheap as fuck.

I've owned 2 vitas and a vita TV.... nope. Sony will give up support within a year, then it's back to relying on indies and small Japanese studios who have their games full of waifus... I'm not anti-waifu, but I can only have so many and my wife doesn't approve.

Valentus

The only thing that saved the PSP was Crisis Core/ Monster Hunter 2. Without that, it would have been Vita Zero.

Its dead jim, sony fought a lost war in the portable market.

JimiNutz

Banned
How about this for a model.
You release your console (let's say PS4) then 4 or 5 years later you release a portable version (that also plugs into TV if needed) and your Pro version (Neo).

Companies are so keen on remastering games so they can just resell all the best games from the past 4 or 5 years with minor tweaks for the new portable version. Portable version should also play all PSN games that released on PS4 as well so will have a big library from day one.

PS4 wasn't exactly a powerhouse at launch and was pretty small to start with. Surely they could squeeze similar tech into a portable form 5 years after launch?

The portable version is essentially just a PS4 with no physical media (download only) but portable (maybe detachable screen).

HotHamBoy

Sony needs to stay the fuck away from portable gaming after how they treated the Vita.

They may not have supported it with First Party efforts after seeing game after game flop in the first two years (and I don't really blame them), but arguably the worst thing they did was the memory cards.

On the other hand, they gave us cross-buy, cross-save and cross-play. Nintendo hasn't even done cross-save with VC titles, let alone cross-buy.

They've been really, really good about securing indie support for Vita and those are the perfect kind of games for a handheld.

Orayn

How about this for a model.
You release your console (let's say PS4) then 4 or 5 years later you release a portable version (that also plugs into TV if needed) and your Pro version (Neo).

Companies are so keen on remastering games so they can just resell all the best games from the past 4 or 5 years with minor tweaks for the new portable version. Portable version should also play all PSN games that released on PS4 as well so will have a big library from day one.

PS4 wasn't exactly a powerhouse at launch and was pretty small to start with. Surely they could squeeze similar tech into a portable form 5 years after launch?

The portable version is essentially just a PS4 with no physical media (download only) but portable (maybe detachable screen).

No.

Japanese market moves around handhelds, I'm not sure how long can the vita last there, specially considering the NX, but I think if sony doesn't make another handheld they risk losing support of some Japanese developers.

Top Bottom