• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight has sold 1.5 million copies

jett

D-Member
K O O L

I L O V E S H O V E L K N I G H T

I T D E S E R V E S T H E S A L E S (^ν^)

What A Time To Be Alive

YGC deserves all the success in the world, even if I didn't particularly like Plague of Shadows.

One thing I don't like about them continuing to work about on SK (and taking so long to do it :p) is that it means their next game is a long ways off.

MacTag

Banned
Well deserved, superb game. I'll declare the 3DS version my favourite one because 3D actually looks great. You know what? I'd buy a mobile port of Shovel Knight. And a Switch one.
It's on Android although you can only buy the apk from Amazon.

Menitta

It makes me so happy that people love Shovel Knight. One of my favorite games this gen. I can't wait for Spectre Knight. Plague Knight was fantastic (still need to finish that lol)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Well-deserved.

Hopefully they have a new project to show soon, though. Their commitment to the extra content they promised is great and all, but they've been iterating on Shovel Knight for going on 3 years now.

If it weren't for Hyper Light Drifter it'd be my game of the year, super psyched for Specter.

tumblr_n8bc7kX6Cl1sc3a8ho1_r2_400.gif

damn for some reason this gif gave me a trimmed Saradomin armor flashback from RuneScape. lol

Shovel Knight is amazing and Yacht Club deserves every bit of recognition they've gotten. Plague Knight DLC was wonderful and I'm excited for Spectre Knight.

Granjinha

It's an incredible game with awesome support. They deserve all the success and more.

Hope they grow into something even more amazing.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
And it deserved every single one of those sales. Bring it on Switch day one and I'm buying a fourth copy of the game. Specter Knight's campaign looks sooooo dope, can't wait to play it.

This hasn't been on PS+, right? Hmm, to buy or to wait for it to inevitably show up there?

Putting it on PS+ would directly contradict their business strategy. Because they support the game with major free updates & expansions (and ports), they've been able to continue to sell a lot of copies over time without doing heavy discounts. I think the chance of it being a free PS+ game is basically nothing; your best bet if you want to play it is grab it in the next 25-50% off sale.

Fewr

Well deserved. I got a Wii U copy at a discount price, got my amiibo, and will definitely get 3DS + Switch (if available) soon. Great, great game.

cireza

Bought the game on 3DS and Xbox One.

Xbox One Battletoads content is amazing. It offers another way to play (and speedrun !) the game.

Loved the first DLC, will definitely play the second one.

I recommend this game to my friends all the time.

mclem

This hasn't been on PS+, right? Hmm, to buy or to wait for it to inevitably show up there?

I suspect it may not be on PS+ for a while; it's not really had any significant discounts as far as I'm aware, and I think their long-term business model is based on provoking new sales with new content rather than through discounting.

redcrayon

Putting it on PS+ would directly contradict their business strategy. Because they support the game with major free updates & expansions (and ports), they've been able to continue to sell a lot of copies over time without doing heavy discounts. I think the chance of it being a free PS+ game is basically nothing; your best bet if you want to play it is grab it in the next 25-50% off sale.
This. A lot of people seem to be wondering how they manage to spend 2 years+ producing kickstarter-promised DLC, or asking when it's going to be free because some indie games end up on Ps+. It's because they keep refreshing all versions of the game that gives it high visibility alongside good word of mouth, that it keeps selling at near enough full price when other indie titles are on sale for peanuts 18 months after launch.

Once they realised they had a hit on their hands it made sense to keep SK as visable as possible for as long possible, it's also buying them time to plan out and think about their next project (that won't have the frontloaded safety net of a massively successful kickstarter) before committing to it.

I've bought three versions now, the 3DS one as a kickstarter backer (still the only project I've backed), and then a physical copy on WiiU and a download on the Vita too. Easily my favourite new IP this gen.

I think a Switch port is all but inevitable and I'll end up buying that too, YCG have been one of the good guys recently. I think they are up to 60 updates now? That's been cool too, letting people know what's going on with it.

Peltz

Well deserved, superb game. I'll declare the 3DS version my favourite one because 3D actually looks great. You know what? I'd buy a mobile port of Shovel Knight. And a Switch one.

I agree the 3DS version is best.

Very nice!
I'll be contributing to their numbers soon. There's no issues with the 3ds version right?
I could also get it on PS4 or PC but I'm thinking I might play it more on a handheld

Fisty

This was the last update we had at 1.2 million:

How do they filter between PS4/PS3/PSV? I don't think any metric used to separate those sales would be accurate in any way. Most people I'm sure just grab whatever version of cross-buy games they find first, which is usually PS4, even if they have no intention of playing it there.

How do they filter between PS4/PS3/PSV? I don't think any metric used to separate those sales would be accurate in any way. Most people I'm sure just grab whatever version of cross-buy games they find first, which is usually PS4, even if they have no intention of playing it there.

Well, the PS3 version came out at a different time than the PS4 & Vita versions so that's one way they could filter it (since typically you get a lot of sales at or around launch).

Top Bottom