• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight has sold 1.5 million copies

Good for Yacht Club, I love this game. Game had me at strike the earth

This track has been stuck in my head since launch date.

EDIT: Seeing the shock at Mega Man 2, a beloved and widely-praised NES game, only selling 1.51 million units. I'm pretty sure those are its NES sales numbers, and that is an absurd amount of units sold for an NES game. Seriously, it wasn't until the Xbox 360/Wii/PS3 generation that games selling over a million units became common. It started happening more on PS2, but even on PS1 it wasn't a "oh this AAA game is coming out, how many millions will it sell?". It was a crowning achievement before than if you were a million seller, and you were a blockbuster success with legs if you continued going past that.

We only see or expect sales in the multi-millions now because gaming has become a more mainstream thing, but when you pile on massive casual audiences, sales are only going to flock to the AAA mainstream things that brought them in. Those sales won't venture out and pad up niche or more hardcore releases. Don't let your Call of Dutys and Uncharteds completely destroy your perspective of what a success is.

Yukinari

Awesome, but wasn't the PS4 and X1 ver. the least sold ver. of the game?

The irony is that the Xbone version has the best exclusive content out of any of them.

PS4/PC/Wii U/3DS got screwed. I love my amiibo but i would vastly prefer the Battletoads level and Toad armor. Having a run button in Shovel Knight is huge.

jett

D-Member
The irony is that the Xbone version has the best exclusive content out of any of them.

PS4/PC/Wii U/3DS got screwed. I love my amiibo but i would vastly prefer the Battletoads level and Toad armor. Having a run button in Shovel Knight is huge.

Only PC duders got screwed. Everyone got exclusive content but us. :|

It's the de facto Kickstarter success story. Put amiibo sales on top of it and it's hard to overstate the well-deserved success that YCG have had with this one. Looking forward to Spectre's campaign, but even more I can't wait to see what they have in store beyond Shovel Knight.

kswiston

I've always found the Mega Man sales numbers on their IR site shockingly low. Did it really only sell 1.5 million?

Games sold in small numbers in most generations. Donkey Kong Country was a massive hit on the SNES, ending up as the second best selling SNES game (and therefore probably the second best selling 16bit title period) at 9 million.

The 2013 version of Tomb Raider is likely over 9M units by this point (it was at 8.5M a year and a half ago). I don't know that Tomb Raider 2013 even cracked the top 50 last generation.

Actually, thinking about it, how would something akin to Castlevania 2/Battle of Olympus/Faxanadu feel? I think that'd open the world up nicely.

For Shovel Knight 2? That sounds good. But for a proper RPG, I'm talking Super Mario RPG-style or Paper Mario-style. A JRPG-ass JRPG full of charm and love.

ArjanN

Games sold in small numbers in most generations. Donkey Kong Country was a massive hit on the SNES, ending up as the second best selling SNES game (and therefore probably the second best selling 16bit title period) at 9 million.

The 2013 version of Tomb Raider is likely over 9M units by this point (it was at 8.5M a year and a half ago). I don't know that Tomb Raider 2013 even cracked the top 50 last generation.

To be fair I'm guessing those Megaman 2 numbers don't include the various collections it's been in.

MacTag

Banned
To be fair I'm guessing those Megaman 2 numbers don't include the various collections it's been in.
They don't so no Wily Wars, MMAC, MMLC, nor any later rereleases (PS1 Works, Wii VC, Wii U VC, 3DS VC, PSN Classics). I believe Capcom's figures don't even include budget reprints so if RM2/MM2 had any on FC/NES those also aren't counted.

Effect

Would double dip easily on Switch. I assume it's coming.

Would really rather get a sequel to be honest. Love the game on the Wii U and 3DS but don't really want to buy the same game again a third time. Unless there is a big discount. Give me Shovel Knight 2 instead.

Hero

Would really rather get a sequel to be honest. Love the game on the Wii U and 3DS but don't really want to buy the same game again a third time. Unless there is a big discount. Give me Shovel Knight 2 instead.

Why do you think a Switch version would prevent them from working on another game?

kswiston

They don't. Capcom didnt even start lumping ports of the same game together until this past generation. Look at Resident Evil or RE4.

However, 1.5M for MegaMan on NES would have been pretty solid for the era.

Effect

They don't. Capcom didnt even start lumping ports of the same game together until this past generation. Look at Resident Evil or RE4.

However, 1.5M for MegaMan on NES would have been pretty solid for the era.

Also a lot more likely played it when we factor in video game rentals being a LOT bigger back then. A lot of the sold numbers for many of these older games really don't paint the entire picture.

v0rtikal

didn't want to start a new thread, but is it known if "Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove" will get a physical re-release or is it digital only?

I think I bought this game 3 times, twice on Nintendo platforms and another on Steam. Well, deserved in my eyes. I love everything Shovel Knight related. I was a huge Mega Man fan growing up but as the years have gone by Capcom has not done right by the franchise. Heck, even when they were endlessly continuing the X series I was already feeling it was being disrespected. I'm glad to see some one else take the Mega Man torch and throw in their own flare and uniqueness to the 8-bit formula.

Regiruler

didn't want to start a new thread, but is it known if "Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove" will get a physical re-release or is it digital only?

The current retail release IS treasure trove. Every single copy of shovel knight currently in existence is Treasure Trove.

I don't know why people care that much about simple branding.

guek

Banned
5YoGs.gif

awesome

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I actually finally finished the game over the weekend. Was sitting at the final boss stages for like a year and never put the time into just capping it off. Didn't particularly love the 'Wily Castle' much, but how they handled the final boss was a bit clever. Will give Plague Knight and Specter Knight a run someday.

It seems like the devs are putting sequel-like effort into the DLC. And I think the different play styles available in that DLC keeps things fresher than straight up sequels.

Imagine what Mega Man could have been if Capcom spun off the interesting bosses into their own games.

G0523

Exactly. I was hoping for some kind of "complete collection" with a different cover art maybe.

They haven't said one way or another. They're still trying to make a physical version happen for the Switch. I imagine if there were to be a physical version of the game with all of the patches and new content on the cartridge/disc, it probably won't be until late 2017. Plus, almost every game now has patches, so getting a physical copy now (while it's still cheap) would actually benefit you more than waiting for a new physical re-release.

Top Bottom