• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight Review Thread

Tripon

I know, it just seems like an odd way to present it. Having nothing in the 'bad' column makes it sound like the game has no flaws. The reviewer should have at least put some of the negatives (not that great on 2nd/3rd run, too easy, etc) into that column. Seems weird to leave it blank.

Some reviewers do it that way, not all.

read the words before that part

Reviews don't work by starting from 10 and "taking away points" like some think. Like most grading systems, it's about points EARNED, not points lost.

The bullet points of Gamespot's review articles serves as a summary of the review. Just saying that a person should just 'read the review' is missing the point. What if I want a primer of how the review will read before I read it fully?

That said, this is pretty sure this is a just a mistake on Gamespot's part and they will edit the negatives later on.

Anon67

What if you don't tell people how to read a review?

You should probably read reviews in the intended order. There's are specific reasons why things are organized the way they are.

Regardless, this game looks pretty awesome. Saw Jim Sterlings video on his channel and now I really want to get it, though I don't really want to spend $15 since I just spent a ton on the Steam sale. Ehhhhh, it'll be worth the $15, it seems like.

Hasney

The bullet points of Gamespot's review articles serves as a summary of the review. Just saying that a person should just 'read the review' is missing the point. What if I want a primer of how the review will read before I read it fully?

That said, this is pretty sure this is a just a mistake on Gamespot's part and they will edit the negatives later on.

What if they feel that there's nothing really bad about the game, but the good doesn't add up to anything above a 7 in their eyes?

I mean, the text might make it clearer.

Aeana

Could you add our review too?

http://nichegamer.net/reviews/shovel-knight-review-steel-thy-shovel/

FYI we gave it a 6.5/10, mostly because the controls aren't as tight as they should be.

Thank you :)

Out of curiosity, did you have vsync on? I found that by disabling vsync, there was still no tearing, but the controls felt much better. Not sure if D3DOverrider was taking care of triple buffering or not. But the way I'm playing it now, I definitely disagree with the controls not being tight. They feel fantastic.

Axass

I've just watched GameSpot's video review, the game looks phenomenal, I'm totally buying it.

No, there are plenty of reviews on GS with no negatives, none of those are 10s though.

tolkir

my review:

giphy.gif

Offtopic: I laughed hard watching this gif while I listened this song.

Hero

It's a shame because we were really hyped on it, and I think the reviewer (not me) reviewed it more objectively, trying not to let the nostalgia ride him. He still enjoyed it and thinks it's a good game, as he said multiple times in the review, it's just not earth-shatteringly good to him.

We believe in the full review scale, instead of the throwaway argument that anything below an 8 is not worth playing - you know?

Your reviewer missed the point of the game entirely.

Are there any good gameplay videos out there that show what this game is about. More specifically un-edited gameplay vids, that aren't any fast trailer cuts.

Tripon

what if I make fun of you about your bizarre-ass reading backwards style

Go ahead, I guess. I skim though readings and then make a decision if I want to do a more in depth reading. I would like to see how you read a 100 page research paper. Do you just start at page one because that's clearly where it starts? No, you read the abstract, skim though the entire thing, and then do a close reading of what you're actually interested in.

So if you really only think there's one way to read something whether if it's a review about a game, or something more meaty like a thesis then you're as closed minded as you're currently behaving in this argument.

You should probably read reviews in the intended order. There's are specific reasons why things are organized the way they are.

Regardless, this game looks pretty awesome. Saw Jim Sterlings video on his channel and now I really want to get it, though I don't really want to spend $15 since I just spent a ton on the Steam sale. Ehhhhh, it'll be worth the $15, it seems like.

Sure, its the same reason why they leave the score at the bottom of the review as well. They want you to read the whole review, which I will, but only after they give me a reason to. Just saying 'read the review!' misses the point that Tom McShea couldn't have been bothered to list all of the flaws he thinks the game presents. Especially since Gamespot format provides him to do so, and he did list the positives.

What if they feel that there's nothing really bad about the game, but the good doesn't add up to anything above a 7 in their eyes?

I mean, the text might make it clearer.

He clearly did though. He listed replay-ability of the stages were not as fun, and despite the variety of ways you could clear a stage, the game doesn't force you to use all of your tools.

I've just watched GameSpot's video review, the game looks phenomenal, I'm totally buying it.

No, there are plenty of reviews on GS with no negatives, none of those are 10s though.

I would argue that is a flaw of the review system then. Even a game that rates a ten has flaws that you could list if you were so inclined.

Instro

FYI we gave it a 6.5/10, mostly because the controls aren't as tight as they should be.

I'm a little confused about the comments on precision and unresponsiveness as I have not had these issues. The review specifically mentions that the relic command is unresponsive, which I haven't seen. Shovel Knight stops immediately during a jump if you stop moving forward, that's about as precise as you can get. I'm playing on the Wii U though, not a 360 dpad on the PC. Maybe there's some issue there, there also was an update to the game when I downloaded it.

Out of curiosity, did you have vsync on? I found that by disabling vsync, there was still no tearing, but the controls felt much better. Not sure if D3DOverrider was taking care of triple buffering or not. But the way I'm playing it now, I definitely disagree with the controls not being tight. They feel fantastic.

That would be interesting, something to watch out for if you have the PC version then maybe.

Tripon

Here's Invisible Gamer's review!

"But the truth is, these hipsters and neckbeards are the reason the game was funded to begin with. And thank goodness for that, because Shovel Knight is one of the absolute best NES games I’ve had the pleasure to play over the past three decades."

(said with love and appreciation!)

Include a link if you can.

nusilver

I'm a little confused about the comments on precision and unresponsiveness as I have not had these issues. The review specifically mentions that the relic command is unresponsive, which I haven't seen. Shovel Knight stops immediately during a jump if you stop moving forward, that's about as precise as you can get. I'm playing on the Wii U though, not a 360 dpad on the PC. Maybe there's some issue there, there also was an update to the game when I downloaded it.

Yeah, not sure what that's about. I also played on Wii U for review, though.

Kade

Go ahead, I guess. I skim though readings and then make a decision if I want to do a more in depth reading. I would like to see how you read a 100 page research paper. Do you just start at page one because that's clearly where it starts? No, you read the abstract, skim though the entire thing, and then do a close reading of what you're actually interested in.

A game review is not a 100 page research paper lol

Seriously, most of the challenge I had in the precise platforming sequences in Guacamelee came from using a 360 pad. It's biggest weakness is that it's not at all precise for 2D games. I would strongly suggest using another input method or trying out a different system if control is the biggest problem.

antitrop

The reviews seem a bit too intent on circle jerking nostalgia, but I don't need someone to tell me I'll like this game.

jdevlin24t

Neo Member
Yeah, what's the deal with that Nintendo? I want to buy this game now, but it's not available on the eShop. What gives? Oh well, I'll just grab it on PC.

The End

Yeah, what's the deal with that Nintendo? I want to buy this game now, but it's not available on the eShop. What gives? Oh well, I'll just grab it on PC.

have you tried searching for it?

because it is there, I was able to redeem my code for it last night

Yacht Club said 2pm EST, but Nintendo's eShop updates are usually Thursdays at noon EST, so it might well be up in 10 minutes or so.

"even for those who never played 16-bit platform games the first time around"

Good thing this is based on an 8-bit ethos then.

It's a shame because we were really hyped on it, and I think the reviewer (not me) reviewed it more objectively, trying not to let the nostalgia ride him. He still enjoyed it and thinks it's a good game, as he said multiple times in the review, it's just not earth-shatteringly good to him.

We believe in the full review scale, instead of the throwaway argument that anything below an 8 is not worth playing - you know?
Does a game have to be "earth shattering good" or push the envelope to achieve a score higher than that? I mean, shouldn't a game be judged on how competently it is made, if it's a tight experience, the functional controls and engaging gameplay, and if it's not, those should be strikes against it? I'm all for innovation, but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but extra points. Not all games aim to push the envelope. And sometimes those that do sacrifice innovation for other great aspects.

wildfire

Banned
I'm impressed with every new screenshot ow different they are. This game feels massive in a way that hasn't seen in most platformers.

Chairhome

Can't read the review here at work, but what did you play it on? the controls felt super tight to me on the wii u. THere was a little bit of a learning curve with the downstab for me, but once I got used to that, it felt like a dream. I'm playing it through my gamepad cause there's a little bit of latency on my TV.

Top Bottom