• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

carlosp

Banned
So yeah this thread is actually already very overdue and I am going to make it and hope the Mods wont delete the thread.

THE RULES

* No NSFW Screens. All images posted must conform with the TOS standards.
* Source your Wallpapers. If you don't remember where you got it, upload the copy you're using to TinyPic and post the TinyPic URL.
* If your image has a person on it, please name who it is. Especially if s/he's hot!

How to make a screenshot from your Android Device:

For Root users:

ShootMe (Screen Grabber)
AppBrain Link

Price: Free
chartw.png

For non root user:

Read this

How to Post QR Codes?

• Go to Appbrain Website.
  • Choose your app and press on QR/more
qr1ef.jpg

What you will see then is this:

qr2.jpg

• Right click on the code
  • choose "save picture as" or the equivalent command of your system
  • upload the image to tinypic
  • Post the image using the
    tag

I will start posting:

28852143.jpg

Content on these Screens:

app-Ezxp.cs.png

LauncherPro
launcherpro.png

app-FwwA.cs.png

Clock Widget
tajm.png

app-BEij.cs.png

Battery Widget
batt.png

53416048.png

Music Player Widget
musicmod.png

app-DApz.cs.png

All the icons were made with Desktop Visualizer using the SimpText template by Ultra Linx.
desktopms.png

The Launcher Pro Plus Calendar

The Launcher Pro Plus "People Widget"

This Lock Screen was made with WidgetLocker Lockscreen

Wallpaper

Here is another style made by desri from the LauncherPro forums:

theme-pure-3.png

theme-pure-4.png

If you want your screen to look like that here are the graphics:

Download

Zeppu

Awesome! Finally!

Listen OP. I suggest you immediately link to LauncherPro, ADW Launcher, Tajm and BattStat in the OP since that's what half of the questions are gonna be all about :)

MNC

I should really thoroughly look into this Android thing. I got an HTC Touch Diamond 2 with Windows Mobile on it; can I change it to Android and would it be wisely to do? Sorry for shitting up the thread.

seb

Banned
Maybe you should amend the rule 'source your wallpaper' to 'source all resources/apps needed to achieve this look'.

tabsina

seb said:
Maybe you should amend the rule 'source your wallpaper' to 'source all resources/apps needed to achieve this look'.

i like that idea, or at least remind people that it'd be a good idea to do so, in order to save from later back-and-forth questions

kharma45

21ah7vp.jpg

2vdh5qt.jpg

n46s5l.jpg

1zbykwx.jpg

Wallpaper here http://www.techmynd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/grass.jpg

EDIT - Girl in the pic is Pixie Lott <3

It's all pretty standard Sense UI bar I use SwitchPro instead of the standard Android power control widget as you can do a lot more with it.

The audio manager I use is called AudioManager and is free, though there is a paid version which removes the ads in the actual app itself and adds some other stuff to it.

EDIT 2 - QR code for SwitchPro

2jg8i0k.jpg

And AudioManager

j169o2.jpg

Super idea and excellent op.

I just hope people follow the example set and state what mode they are using. Nothing worse than people who just post a pic and run.

You can link to apps with a market link (don't forget to use [url ] [/ url])...

Brings up a search for the package (ie. com.google.android.maps)
market://search:q=pname:package name goes here

Brings up a search for the publisher (ie. "Frederico Carnales")
market://search:q=pub:name of publisher goes here

Do a general search (%22 = quotation marks, they are not needed)
market://search?q=%22your search terms go here%22

Bring up the details page for a specific app (you need to know the package name)
market://details?id=package name goes here

You can generate a QR code here:
http://zxing.appspot.com/generator

BrettWeir

Thank you for finally making this thread. No more digging through the Android software thread. Question. every app have a scalable barcode? If so, possible to include those when posting apps?

carlosp

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
You can link to apps with a market link (don't forget to use [url ] [/ url])...

Brings up a search for the package (ie. com.google.android.maps)
market://search:q=pname:package name goes here

Brings up a search for the publisher (ie. "Frederico Carnales")
market://search:q=pub:name of publisher goes here

Do a general search (%22 = quotation marks, they are not needed)
market://search?q=%22your search terms go here%22

Bring up the details page for a specific app (you need to know the package name)
market://details?id=package name goes here

You can generate a QR code here:
http://zxing.appspot.com/generator

how can i post the QR codes? It somehow doesnt work for me.

carlosp said:
how can i post the QR codes? It somehow doesnt work for me.

Select "URL" from the Contents drop box, then type the URL you want it to direct to, the QR code should appear on the right. Save the image and upload it to a picture hosting service (ie. tinypic.com) and then post here.

Synless

Question, and I'm sure this will be easily answered. Something that has bothered me since I've gotten my phone is how when I try to set a wallpaper, it makes me crop it. Is there any way to set a picture to your background without the need of cropping it?

tabsina

MarkMclovin said:
Nice OP!

Why do people have the notification bar showing, when you have the same info on your home screen though?

For quick access to notifications, would be my best bet.. (eg. things that aren't standard like sms, emails, etc.. like wordfeud or facebook updates)

EDIT: just in case you don't have an android phone, that bar can be pulled down, which reveals a link to all of the notifications currently queued on your phone.. (sorry for the explanation if you do have an android phone, that would have been quite insulting to read :p)

carlosp

Banned
Synless said:
Question, and I'm sure this will be easily answered. Something that has bothered me since I've gotten my phone is how when I try to set a wallpaper, it makes me crop it. Is there any way to set a picture to your background without the need of cropping it?

Wallpaper Set and Save

Gabyskra

Banned
I have a big issue with widgetlocker, happens quite often... for a fraction of a second or a whole second, I can see the regular lockscreen... i hate it. Anyone with the same problem? Or a solution?

Synless

Ok, I used the Wallpaper Set and Save app and it causes the pictures to be huge!!! How do you get it to just fit the wallpaper within the resolution of the phone without stretching it?

Great post! Can you have people explain how they made their particular customizations, so that other users can try it out if they like? I'd love to make my homescreens like the OP :-x

carlosp

Banned
Gabyskra said:
I have a big issue with widgetlocker, happens quite often... for a fraction of a second or a whole second, I can see the regular lockscreen... i hate it. Anyone with the same problem? Or a solution?

Android has a "5 second rule" that prevents a background process (WidgetLocker) from activating within 5 seconds of the Home Button being pressed. This is very bad for WidgetLocker as you might exit an application with the Home Button, turn off the screen, then quickly turn it back on to check something in your Widget, but WidgetLocker must continue to wait 5 seconds until it can appear.
To work around you can set "WLocker Helper" as your default Home. This means the Home Button goes to the Helper, who forwards it to your actual Launcher. But in the process the "5 second rule" is defeated and WidgetLocker can instantly activate.
Another feature of "WLocker Helper" is that it allows disabling the Home Button at the lockscreen. This button cannot normally be caught by an application.

SimleuqiR

AVclub said:
Cool thread. Thanks OP for creating it. Not much to contribute yet except this:
yKoyH.jpg

:lol

Gabyskra said:

This is normal. I think if you have LauncherPro as your home app it barely shows when unlocking. I notice more with ADW Launcher, not sure why.

Edit:

Yeah. When hitting the power button to turn on the screen I only see widgetlocker, not the original lock screen with unlock sliders (on LauncherPro).

carlosp

Banned
captmcblack said:
Great post! Can you have people explain how they made their particular customizations, so that other users can try it out if they like? I'd love to make my homescreens like the OP :-x

let me explain very fast how my screen is setup:

bottom:

I have used the Launcher Pro Dock but used custom icons. The Icons can be found here.

The other Text Icons are widgets made with Desktop Visualizer. I have used the small size for the widgets.

The music widget is the 4x1 widget from Music Mod.

The clock and battery status are two widgets which can be found in OP. Besides I have checked the 5 row option in LauncherPro settings. Usually Android only allows 4 rows.

Hmmm... Should've been called "ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma by modern Smartphones". Ah well.

Subscribed and looking forward to awesome recommendations. :)

Currently geeking out with LauncherPro myself.

tabsina said:
For quick access to notifications, would be my best bet.. (eg. things that aren't standard like sms, emails, etc.. like wordfeud or facebook updates)

EDIT: just in case you don't have an android phone, that bar can be pulled down, which reveals a link to all of the notifications currently queued on your phone.. (sorry for the explanation if you do have an android phone, that would have been quite insulting to read :p)

lol - I do have an android phone, but it's cool yo!

My point is, people use Launcher Pro to make the home screen better and you'll probably find that people will have at least the time/date, battery and then the dock. The dock will show any new emails/sms/missed calls so the need to have the the bar showing only makes it ugly (especially if it's white and the wallpaper is dark).

Fuuuu, I'm banging on here as if I really care about other peoples screens, lol.

But you know what I mean? It's like watching TV at a mates house and they clearly have the brightness/colour to high/low *shudder*

Zeppu

MarkMclovin said:

My point is, people use Launcher Pro to make the home screen better and you'll probably find that people will have at least the time/date, battery and then the dock. The dock will show any new emails/sms/missed calls so the need to have the the bar showing only makes it ugly (especially if it's white and the wallpaper is dark).

Fuuuu, I'm banging on here as if I really care about other peoples screens, lol.

But you know what I mean? It's like watching TV at a mates house and they clearly have the brightness/colour to high/low *shudder*

What if I want to drop down the notification bar to launch quicksettings or gesturebar or notifications for twitter updates, or facebook events, or market app updates, talk messages. Or perhaps just so you can see the subject of a new email at a glance before actually deciding whether it's important enough to look at now.

There's shitloads of stuff which is shown in the notification bar dude!

MarkMclovin said:

That's only if you use the stock dialer and messenger both of which I don't like (correct me if I'm wrong if it now works with Dialer One and Handcent). Not to mention other notifications that are important to me like Touchdown. I need to know about those at all times.

I run with the Samsung Galaxy S Theme currently so I think the notification bar looks pretty sweet in it.

I also use ADW over LauncherPro, it just has the features I like to use. I've used both heavily and still have LauncherPro installed in case the features ever switch back to in favor of LauncherPro.

Miggytronz

josephdebono said:
What if I want to drop down the notification bar to launch quicksettings or gesturebar or notifications for twitter updates, or facebook events, or market app updates, talk messages. Or perhaps just so you can see the subject of a new email at a glance before actually deciding whether it's important enough to look at now.

There's shitloads of stuff which is shown in the notification bar dude!

uh hit the menu button.

Mikasangelos said:
uh hit the menu button.

Works fine from the homescreen, but you can pull the notification bar down from within most apps.

This is proving to be a bit of a de-railing... the only thing we should take away from this discussion is that you can hide the status bar. If you want to.

KiKaL

I have my status bar hidden. I just push the menu button when I want to see it. I just think it looks so much better without it and I have all the data I need on my screen through widgets.

radioheadrule83 said:
Works fine from the homescreen, but you can pull the notification bar down from within most apps.

This is proving to be a bit of a de-railing... the only thing we should take away from this discussion is that you can hide the status bar. If you want to.
If you could display the notification bar by swiping down once with it hidden (like in xScope) then I would do this. But I don't really want to hit Menu to see the notification bar. It seems counter-intuitive.

teiresias

I don't really have anything original. I think the wallpaper was from someone in an Android thread here. I tend to swap my wallpaper a lot though, this is just what happens to be there now.

snap20100824_105119.png

.GqueB.

Banned
teiresias said:
I don't really have anything original. I think the wallpaper was from someone in an Android thread here. I tend to swap my wallpaper a lot though, this is just what happens to be there now.

snap20100824_105119.png
Can I has dock?

Top Bottom