• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2013 Edition

ACH1LL3US

That would be great. I'm pretty interested in your keyboard/mouse cable management.

I made a custom solid oak box that holds all the wires and monster power bar. The rest of the cables under the table are routed with black p clips. I drilled a hole in the top of the table routing the cables for the mouse and keyboard .

8529532046_9192bb94c0_b.jpg
[/url]
image by CoolHandsM3, on Flickr

Thraktor

Yeah the pre-amp receiver pricing is total bullshit, all logic would dictate that direct RCA jacks with no amplification are an order of magnitude cheaper to do than circuitry for amplified speakers. The reason they charge more is quite literally that they know they can - people interested in preamps are people who already invest more in speakers, so what's a bit more for the amp.

While I won't deny that the pricing is artificially raised, keep in mind that dedicated pre-amps are going to have much better DACs, for example... which do make a significant difference in sound quality. There is some stuff that at least partially justifies the higher prices.

To be honest I think there just isn't any market for mid-range surround pre-amps, otherwise companies like Denon would be making them. Active surround speakers are pretty rare, and people who want separate pre and power amps are very much going to be in the high end of the market, and will be willing to spend a bit more for stuff like better DACs, better build quality, etc.

Very nice set ups on here. Wish I still had all my old gaming stuff, but such is life.

I just moved into a new place and got everything set up as quick as possible. Need to do some wire management and get a new desk/chair but not too worried for the moment because it functions great.

Yjm08tEh.jpg

31ry5Zo.jpg

Stasis

I made a custom solid oak box that holds all the wires and monster power bar. The rest of the cables under the table are routed with black p clips. I drilled a hole in the top of the table routing the cables for the mouse and keyboard .

Great idea for the cable box. Your setup resembles mine. Did you use an Ikea counter-top or is that a custom piece of wood? Looks like the Numerar but wider. May just be pic angle. I'm on a counter-top (discontinued model, can't remember name... it's white but with wood effect, not laminated) with the same legs to the sides, and a single one in the middle to the back. I think I'll get another double and build a white box for cable management to mimic what you've done. Love it.

HPhins54

Neo Member
Why don't you move your bookshelf along a wall? It looks like it's right in front of your window in the pictures!

It's a pretty large window and I like it there to block some of the sun light. I still get a good amount from the other side of the window.

Smokey

So I had the triple screen monitor setup a few weeks ago, however I got new GPUs and decided to go back to my Dell U3011 monitor. The colors of the IPS are a lot better to me than the three TN monitors, plus the resolution (2560x1600) just pops more IMO. So this will most likely stay my setup for some time:
my_setup_zps720e9b39.jpg

The Silverstone FT02 is a great case. I've had it for almost 2 years but due to the type of cooling I've had on the various graphics cards, it was inefficient in pushing heat out. The motherboard sits at a 90 degree angle with three huge 180mm fans at the bottom. Ideally you want GPUs that blow air out of the case to match the air pressure inside of the case. Since I got the Titans I have moved back to it as they fit the purpose and design of the case:

20130302_144414_zps2b370518.jpg

The insides:

setup_pic2_zps75ab3837.jpg

Lights off:

20130302_033657_zps0b1d323b.jpg

I tried to change the green on the corsair waterpump to that of the GPUs. It doesn't show well in the pic, but it's fairly close to it in person.

My mini station pretty much has me covered. I can play PC games on the 30'' monitor while viewing temps and other measurable. When I want to play the 360 I can use the monitor on the right. If I want to stream gameplay I can view the channel, settings, and other stuff on the main monitor while still gaming on the right. Not to mention the monitor provides lag free gaming or close enough to it (2ms).

Specs of the PC:

Silverstone FT02 case
Asus P8z68 Deluxe motherboard
i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz
2x Geforce Titan
Corsair H80i closed water cooling unit
Corsair 16GB RAM
Intel 320 160GB SSD
Samsung 2TB HDD
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU
Windows 8 Pro
Logitech G710+

Monitors:

Dell U3011
Asus V6236 120hz 3D (GREAT gaming monitor, highly recommend it)

Other stuff:

Sennheiser 363D headphones
Happauge HD PVR 2 (streaming)
OG 360

When the new systems come out I may move them to the larger TV...but for now this setup works well.

CAVE343

Thank you!

Its a Samsung 32d5000 tv (32 inch, 31.5 viewable) that I debezzled and had the metal frame powder coated matte black like the interior of the case.
Yeah and the result looks great! Do you happen to have pictures of the process, I would like to see how it was done.

SLI Titans
That's an awesome rig, many would dream of just one Titan card.

How's the power consumption though?

Smokey

Yeah and the result looks great! Do you happen to have pictures of the process, I would like to see how it was done.

That's an awesome rig, many would dream of just one Titan card.

How's the power consumption though?

Titans max out at 265w per card I believe. I have my CPU overclocked too so I'd guess the full system maybe pulls maybe 630w-700w under full load? Just a guess by me I don't have a kill-a-watt or anything to measure.

ACH1LL3US

Titans max out at 265w per card I believe. I have my CPU overclocked too so I'd guess the full system maybe pulls maybe 630w-700w under full load? Just a guess by me I don't have a kill-a-watt or anything to measure.

How is the SLI with the titans? You happy with them so far? Also how does my i7 980x at 4.5 ghz compare to your processor? Should I expect similar performance when my two Titans arrive in the mail?

ACH1LL3US

Great idea for the cable box. Your setup resembles mine. Did you use an Ikea counter-top or is that a custom piece of wood? Looks like the Numerar but wider. May just be pic angle. I'm on a counter-top (discontinued model, can't remember name... it's white but with wood effect, not laminated) with the same legs to the sides, and a single one in the middle to the back. I think I'll get another double and build a white box for cable management to mimic what you've done. Love it.

Thank you :) Its the Ikea butcher block, solid oak. Its an inch and half thick and HEAVY!

This whole setup I just dreamed up someday and went for it, noone was selling what I wanted to do so I did it myself :p

Post some pics of your setup when you get a chance, love to see it :)

To Cave343: I didn't take pics of the process as its just a matter of removing screws on the tv. Going from thick plastic borders to a very thin less then 10mm thick metal matte black border really changed the way I percieve images on the tv ( or should I say monitor as I removed the speakers from it). Overall its very easy to debezzel the Samsung d5000.

Smokey

How is the SLI with the titans? You happy with them so far? Also how does my i7 980x at 4.5 ghz compare to your processor? Should I expect similar performance when my two Titans arrive in the mail?

If I'm not mistaken I think your 980x has 6 cores? If that's the case and you are running at 4.5ghz you'll be more than fine. As for the Titans, it's just like any other SLI setup. There needs to be a profile in place for the game or you can make your own, which I've never had to do. There is some throttling going on though and people at more pc centric forums are trying to figure out why and how to control it. For example one of mine is OC to 1178mhz, yet it will down clock to 1150mhz or so. People don't know if it's related to the temperature, the power being drawn, or a combination of both.

There's only been one driver set released so far so the performance can only go up. Titans in SLI absolutely destroy everything though, so I think you'll be pleased. Crysis 3 maxed out at 1600p with TxAA on high gives me 30-35 fps. If I drop the AA to a less intense version I can get 55-60 easy. Most I've seen c3 use is 3.2gb VRAM btw.

Just please pair them with a 2560x1600 monitor or a triple monitor setup otherwise Titan SLI is a massive waste versus other options.

ACH1LL3US

If I'm not mistaken I think your 980x has 6 cores? If that's the case and you are running at 4.5ghz you'll be more than fine. As for the Titans, it's just like any other SLI setup. There needs to be a profile in place for the game or you can make your own, which I've never had to do. There is some throttling going on though and people at more pc centric forums are trying to figure out why and how to control it. For example one of mine is OC to 1178mhz, yet it will down clock to 1150mhz or so. People don't know if it's related to the temperature, the power being drawn, or a combination of both.

There's only been one driver set released so far so the performance can only go up. Titans in SLI absolutely destroy everything though, so I think you'll be pleased. Crysis 3 maxed out at 1600p with TxAA on high gives me 30-35 fps. If I drop the AA to a less intense version I can get 55-60 easy. Most I've seen c3 use is 3.2gb VRAM btw.

Just please pair them with a 2560x1600 monitor or a triple monitor setup otherwise Titan SLI is a massive waste versus other options.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like two titans are gonna be a beast! I game at 1080p so imagine I will get higher fps then your setup. I was hoping to run Crysis 3 at 1080p on very high with 4xmsaa at 60 fps. Hope these two guys get me there :)

Smokey

Thanks for the info! Sounds like two titans are gonna be a beast! I game at 1080p so imagine I will get higher fps then your setup. I was hoping to run Crysis 3 at 1080p on very high with 4xmsaa at 60 fps. Hope these two guys get me there :)

You're killing me at 1080p :p. With msaa at 4x if I remember correctly I was in the 30-40 range. 8x msaa I was in the 25ish range. You'll be fine you won't have to look at system requirements for a very long time :)

ACH1LL3US

You're killing me at 1080p :p. With msaa at 4x if I remember correctly I was in the 30-40 range. 8x msaa I was in the 25ish range. You'll be fine you won't have to look at systen requirements for a very long time :)

Hehe, thats the plan :p If I dont get 60fps at 1080p with those settings... I will be a sad panda

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm starting to feel like there's some sort of odd disconnect between GAF and the rest of the world in that people here have the ballerest shit that ever was, and IRL, I don't know anyone who has nice stuff, or more than like... a dozen games and DVDs. Maybe I just know the wrong people.

What can the real world learn from GAF?

vitacola

I'm starting to feel like there's some sort of odd disconnect between GAF and the rest of the world in that people here have the ballerest shit that ever was, and IRL, I don't know anyone who has nice stuff, or more than like... a dozen games and DVDs. Maybe I just know the wrong people.

Oh, you didn't click on the girlfriend/boyfriend thread so far? :D

TRios Zen

I think this thread made me realize, that I take crappy pictures.

Regardless, this is my primary gaming set-up. Sadly my PS3 is serving as my Blu-Ray Player in my media room (which isn't ready to be shared yet); but it would typically be here. I'd show the whole room, but think I might wait till my shutters come in, will really bring the room together I think.

For those that are interested:

Panasonic 55" Plasma
Oppo Blu-Ray Drive
Marantz Amplifier
Marantz Turn-Table
Polk Audio RTi-A3
Polk surround Bar 3000

Nothing too extravagant, but I'm happy with it.

Thraktor

I'd put this down to selection bias. Basically, people are more likely to post photos here if they have "baller" setups like Chittagong's than if they're like me and just have a TV with a bunch of consoles and a big mess of cables beneath it.

jd78

Neo Member
Finally got around to doing some cleaning and organizing. More of an office than a gaming setup, but I do game primarily from my office.

office030414a.jpg

office030414b.jpg

Stasis

Thank you :) Its the Ikea butcher block, solid oak. Its an inch and half thick and HEAVY!

This whole setup I just dreamed up someday and went for it, noone was selling what I wanted to do so I did it myself :p

Post some pics of your setup when you get a chance, love to see it :)

I'll take some shots of the desk soon! I've been wanting to post in this thread for a while but I'm doing a full "renewal" of my office/game room this Summer. Moving things around, changing the lighting, adding a few things, some new toys etc.

I came very close to getting the oak top myself. The one I have has the same thickness, also 1.5" and is very heavy though maybe not quite as much as the oak. I love how solid and resistant it is. I had to modify the Moliden underframes to get them to fit though, the round plates used to screw them in were sticking out due to the width of this counter.

Also love the idea of the monitor/tv directly mounted. I'd probably copy that part too if my monitor legs were nicer! And last but not least, I like your keyboard choice. A tenkeyless is in my future, probably a Majestouch as well.

I like this a lot too, seems like a very cozy place to enjoy my morning coffee =)

Finally got around to doing some cleaning and organizing. More of an office than a gaming setup, but I do game primarily from my office.

The speakers... those are Edifiers right? I've been looking for a decent 2.1 set in white.

Edit: Swan M10. Seems they're discontinued. Shame, they look great.

Enron

Banned

You think setupGAF is bad? Go look at the setup pics over on hardocp's forums. Yikes.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Its not much but that`s my setup. Planning to add a Wii U as soon as Wonderful 101 drops. The other end of the room is my bed and a sweet little rocking chair I picked up from Ikea.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You think setupGAF is bad? Go look at the setup pics over on hardocp's forums. Yikes.

Yeah, there are some pretty damn spiffy setups over there, as well. Though a lot of times, it boils down to: "I have 6 monitors and nothing else, because I spend all my money on 6 monitors." GAF is more like "check it out, it's everything." I like the latter.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
13152_10151469951136413_644256504_n.jpg

Just had a reshuffle as I don't have time/funds to buy new furniture or properly decorate, I want to paint and put wood flooring down..

Anyway, I have put my gaming setup (need a much bigger TV!) and work area in the living room, using a sofa bed (for guests) as the divider. Not sure if I should make a tall wall or shelf behind the sofa bed to seal off the work area.

Where did you get the stuffed lemon/lime/donut? Hehe.

PSGames

Wow some of these setups are amazing. I recently installed a bar in my crib. Was quite a bit of work but I really love it:

ZTGJsuW.jpg

Swapped out the ps3/360 for drunken 4 player Wii U action. Directly across from this I have a couch and projector plus 120 inch screen which I use for the 360/ps3. Need to get a better picture of that area.

Doombear

Wow some of these setups are amazing. I recently installed a bar in my crib. Was quite a bit of work but I really love it:

Swapped out the ps3/360 for drunken 4 player Wii U action. Directly across from this I have a couch and projector plus 120 inch screen which I use for the 360/ps3. Need to get a better picture of that area.

In my mind, those rectangle panels in the top bar wall flip down and are fightsticks. In my mind!

An-Det

These are from my room in the apartment I just moved out of. On the left was my desktop and media server, in the middle my monitors, on the right my tv and consoles. Cables were a bit of a mess (I suck at keeping them nice), and I needed to get around to cleaning out the computers of dust again. None are on the floor at my new place which will help. Definitely gonna miss it, but I'm working on my new place and can't wait to get it nice.

Here's my loft setup I'm still working on, but I got all the pita stuff over with. Please ignore the awful couch, it's on its way out in favor of theater seats. Still a WIP and this is my first attempt at a setup, so please be gentle!

Layd Dly's setup here was my inspiration.

7gm4mw2.jpg

zcNzW2w.jpg

LyqM2ie.jpg

dH8yQYL.jpg

qd9BiMo.jpg

JouwxIn.jpg

sikkinixx

What desk is this?

Looks like Ikea Galant series.

It looks really cool. I've been debated swapping my desk top out and putting something a bit bigger on it and something like that would do the trick nicely.

But why have your hulking black box of a computer on your desk? I notice a lot of people doing it.

PSGames

Here's my loft setup I'm still working on, but I got all the pita stuff over with. Please ignore the awful couch, it's on its way out in favor of theater seats. Still a WIP and this is my first attempt at a setup, so please be gentle!

http://i.imgur.com/7gm4mw2.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zcNzW2w.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LyqM2ie.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dH8yQYL.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qd9BiMo.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JouwxIn.jpg[/QUOTE]

nice work man. What kind of screen are you using?

Allforce

]

10 foot screen club, represent!

Layd"s setup was my reason for doing this too.

CAVE343

It's a 120" Elite Screens AcousticPro1080P2. I really wanted a tensioned and motorized screen, but it'd cost another grand so I opted for the fixed frame instead.
Yeah, the fixed screen and the bezel make it loo amazing. Congrats on the setup. I would like to see when it's all finished

SinSilla

Since i just became father we had to move to our new home, had to give up my dedicated home theater room in the process and traded it for a smaller "office".

caBq51g.jpg

Just in case you're wondering, i'm fighting the skylights with that modded umbrella. Works great and its actually kinda cozy sitting under an umbrella.

Sigh, got everything setup only to find out the SC-65 was defective - popping noises and no audio from front channels. Working with the amazon seller to send it back, but what a drag :(

PureSolidness

Neo Member
Nice unique setup! Looks like you're definitely not superstitious ;P
I'm guessing from the monitor shade that you do image editing work, what kind of monitor are you using?

Since i just became father we had to move to our new home, had to give up my dedicated home theater room in the process and traded it for a smaller "office".

caBq51g.jpg

Just in case you're wondering, i'm fighting the skylights with that modded umbrella. Works great and its actually kinda cozy sitting under an umbrella.

Top Bottom