• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu Yoshida: "Console Debut" means it may come to other consoles in the future (NNK2)

Soriku

If publishers want to bring their game to other consoles, that's their choice. I'm not sure the wording is really necessary.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
All right, I'm going to bed, but try not to set each other on fire over this by the time I wake up.
Oh god. No promises man.
This whole "Exclusive Context" deal reminds me of the Starbucks fiasco. Everyone is getting uppity about things that might confuse other people. Either way, don't assume things just because the possibility is there. It's not healthy.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Can't wait to see NX in the console war mix. I expect additional mod recruitment in anticipation. Chatter is definitely picking up.

SparkTR

Why are Japanese devs usually so vague about this stuff? I mean, sure don't mention it at a platform holders conference but they seem to rarely say anything concrete on their full release plans until the game is near release on other platforms ala DQH.

Usually with western devs you only need a press release for everything to become crystal clear, and I'm sure their transparency in that regard is a reason why Western devs are dominating the AAA industry. They spent the last generation fostering an audience on every platform and many demographics and now they're at the forefront of the industry in terms of sales and mindshare, Japanese AAA devs seems to have isolated themselves from a wider market for some reason.

AniHawk

Tell me more.

okay to be super serious, if the nx is a handheld as well as a console it makes sense. level-5 has had a lot of success on nintendo platforms, and ni no kuni did better on the ds than the ps3 in japan by about triple the amount.

edit: i had thought that ni no kuni 2 was announced as a ps4 exclusive though. that would mean that it's straight-up ps4 only, which would also make sense considering how well the first game did worldwide.

qko

People acting so surprised at the NX must be forgetting that the first game made its "console debut" on the DS.

If the NX is some sort of console/handheld hybrid, how surprising would it REALLY be NNK2 pop up on it?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Obviously there will be a NX version - they wont miss out on a huge userbase for their domestic market. Unless the NX portable bombs in Japan, but this is very unlikely.

If it werent for Horii already teasing NX versions of DQX and DQXI it might have been more mysterious until the platform unveiling but the last couple announcements suggest to me that Japan is gearing up for the PS4/NX future.

barit

Geez at the comment after Shu's reply. Gamers can be so pathetic sometimes (me included)

And What's up with all the NX talk? Nobody knows what that thing is except Nintendo. Maybe you all cheering at Nintendo's first Mobile Phone that will play Nintendo games??

AniHawk

Can't wait to see NX in the console war mix. I expect additional mod recruitment in anticipation. Chatter is definitely picking up.

i think the potential of nintendo's handheld strength playing in the console realm is going to throw pretty much everyone for a loop if the nx is actually one library across multiple form factors. i don't mean it's going to be a super mega success, just that people who have ignored handhelds might be surprised at the level of support nintendo's 'console' might get.

Stuff like this, for titles that would fall flat on their arses on Xbox, gives me hope that Nintendo have made a proper, comparably powerful, modern designed and third party friendly, non hindering gimmick focused 8th gen console in the NX.

Gods I hope they don't fuck things up!

Twitter guy is a moron though. Really hope he follows through with his threat, then has to buy himself another one.

Dazza

Geez gaf isn't any better either I mean look at that thread where the dude thought the wording was confusing.

So one guy doesn't understand it or is purposing being obtuse and the whole of GAF has a problem? No the good thing about GAF, is that users that continually act like that usually don't last long here, other places are a free for all

Didn't Adam say "PS4 exclusive"? I mean in the end who cares but there was a weird discrepancy between what he said and what was written on the screen when the NNK2 logo appeared.

I would like to make an "Xbox dudebro gets NNK2 for Christmas" joke but aren't most dudebros on PS4 now anyway?

To be clear, Shu isn't saying NNK2 is under the "console debut" umbrella, he's just clarifying what the term means. He explains that he isn't the right person to ask about the actual arrangement.

Didn't we know this?

A big lawl to the dude's reply tho. Poor Shu.

To be honest, regardless of what has been said, it wouldn't surprise me if this sees a release on Nintendo's next handheld (like the original NNK) but worldwide, or it may release on the NX like DQ12. I think either of those are a safe bet.

AniHawk

Stuff like this, for titles that would fall flat on their arses on Xbox, gives me hope that Nintendo have made a proper, comparably powerful, modern designed and third party friendly, non hindering gimmick focused 8th gen console in the NX.

Gods I hope they don't fuck things up!

Twitter guy is a moron though. Really hope he follows through with his threat, then has to buy himself another one.

it's weird because microsoft really gave it the ol' college try with the 360, even to the point where a fairly popular franchise (the science adventure series) started on the 360 in japan. the xbox one/ps4 split seems way more in favor of the ps4 when it comes to japanese stuff this time around, even if it was kinda/sorta lopsided in the previous generation. i guess that's basically the result of what happened in 2010-2013 or so once all the rpgs started to show up on the ps3 with some regularity.

okay to be super serious, if the nx is a handheld as well as a console it makes sense. level-5 has had a lot of success on nintendo platforms, and ni no kuni did better on the ds than the ps3 in japan by about triple the amount.
I don't think that makes it a "better audience." It's possibly a much better audience for their own domestic audience. Beyond that, I doubt it's going to be a "better audience" worldwide.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love that Yosp is like "let me spell it out in plain english because the PR speak that everyone else understands obviously baffles you"

Good news all round, hopefully means games ain't been held back with simultaneous releases but also Nintendo getting good 3rd party support for their home console

AniHawk

I don't think that makes it a "better audience." It's possibly a much better audience for their own domestic audience. Beyond that, I doubt it's going to be a "better audience" worldwide.

hard to say. nintendo's also built up a pretty solid rpg audience in the west on the 3ds. it might be a thing where it does better in japan than us on nx, but better in us than japan on ps4.

that's more of a discussion for other titles though. i don't think ni no kuni 2 was revealed to have a console exclusive debut, just that it was console exclusive. i even wrote it down in my creepy notebook.

i think the potential of nintendo's handheld strength playing in the console realm is going to throw pretty much everyone for a loop if the nx is actually one library across multiple form factors. i don't mean it's going to be a super mega success, just that people who have ignored handhelds might be surprised at the level of support nintendo's 'console' might get.

Conversely, anyone that is aware of how handhelds are quietly doing, should also temper their expectations for those sales continuing.

Mobile dominates that market completely, and does so more and more each year. No matter what happens the NX handheld would need a miracle to match even the 3DS's sales worldwide.

AniHawk

Conversely, anyone that is aware of how handhelds are quietly doing, should also temper their expectations for those sales continuing.

Mobile dominates that market completely, and does so more and more each year. No matter what happens the NX handheld would need a miracle to match even the 3DS's sales worldwide.

i was talking more about support rather than sales. but you're right, dedicated hardware is on the decline.

RexNovis

Banned
Good, these title will find better audience on NX

LMFAO! What the fuck is up with all these people proclaiming shit is going to get released on NX before we even know what the system even is? Slow your damn roll people. At least wait till the damn thing is actually announced. It's like they think the more obnoxious their comments are the more likely it is to happen or something. This snide closest NX port begging needs to stop. For real.

Jigorath

Banned
I think the more interesting/unclear point is whether "console debut" means a game could potentially release on PC on the same date as on PS4.

Something like that would probably be clarified in a press release.

LMFAO! What the fuck is up with all these people proclaiming shot is going to get released on NX before we even know what the system even is. It's like they think the more obnoxious their comments are the more likely it is to happen or something. This snide closest NX port begging needs to stop. For real.

His entire post history is "NX this" and "NX that". I wouldn't take him seriously.

LMFAO! What the fuck is up with all these people proclaiming shot is going to get released on NX before we even know what the system even is. It's like they think the more obnoxious their comments are the more likely it is to happen or something. This snide closest NX port begging needs to stop. For real.

It happens every time a new Nintendo console is on the horizon. There's this great big hope that it'll get every desirable title so people don't have to buy anything outside of Nintendo's ecosystem. Not that I blame people for wishing they didn't have to buy multiple consoles, but it can get pretty annoying, yes. I think there are some posters saying it in jest to make fun of this sentiment, however.

Top Bottom