• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Shadow of the Colossus On PS4 Is A Remake Not A Remaster

Famitsu: The next question is about Shadow of the Colossus. Is this a remaster version, or is it a remake version?
Shuhei Yoshida: ”It is a remake. The game content is the same as the original version, but all the assets are being remade. I figured we could use such tech to make if we're going to make Shadow of the Colossus in the PS4 era. Bluepoint is the development company behind the PS3 remaster versions of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. So we know them rather well."

Famitsu: So the game will have the same content it had in its PS2 version.
Yoshida: ”It's the same, but player preferences for controls and such change over time, so we're working on implementing a more modernized way to play. And of course you can play with a feel of the original version, but what we're doing is showing how great the original work is, using today's technology. Ueda-san (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and the Last Guardian lead designer Fumito Ueda) wasn't that involved much this time."

Article

mieumieu

I would still call it a souped up remaster. Same as Crash. Only difference is the amount of art work (map, characters, animations) getting worked on.

I would still call it a souped up remaster. Same as Crash. Only difference is the amount of art work (map, characters, animations) getting worked on.

I personally would call the N.Sane Trilogy as Remake.

Whatever Yoshida says, SotC looks totally like a remaster to me. Atleast a remaster with way more effort.

Sony seems to have a weird time explaining this stuff in the PS4-era after last gen there were so many Remasters. First the Crash trilogy, now this.

Sony: "No see, MGS2/3/PW was a Remaster, This is a Remake"
Audience: "...anything different about it then?"
Sony: "Aside from the visuals, no."
Audience: "...."

Flarin

Don't get me wrong, Shadow is one of my favorite games of all time, but if it's just the same game content-wise...just...why? Seems like such a weird thing. I figured they were going to add some of the cut Colossi, but apparently not. This one really baffles me.

TheMoon

Why is this such a complicated topic?

You see the trailer. You look at it. You recognize it's a remake. There you go.

Unless you closed your eyes, there was no other rational train of thought.

Don't get me wrong, Shadow is one of my favorite games of all time, but if it's just the same game content-wise...just...why? Seems like such a weird thing. I figured they were going to add some of the cut Colossi, but apparently not. This one really baffles me.

Atleast we get a new made top notch awkward control scheme, which will probably be far worse than the original.

Only problem: This is NOT a REMAKE.

silva1991

It's probably, because some devs/companies like to call other obvious remakes a "remaster" such as Crash trilogy.

Not everyone has played it. This introduces it to a brand new audience. Plenty of people playing PS4 that weren't even born in 2005.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's nice but a remake is never going to beat nostalgia. The original was a mind-blowing experience and HD graphics can't trump the memories of that first time. For new players I'm sure this will be amazing but personally I'm not that bothered.

jsnepo

Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube define what remake is for me. You can add Black Mesa to that list. If they're just changing assets, isn't this called a reskin?

Zomba13

Atleast we get a new made top notch awkward control scheme, which will probably be far worse than the original.

Only problem: This is NOT a REMAKE.

But... They are REMAKING the game. REMADE models, REMADE textures etc. It's not them just upping the resolution and tiding up the original textures. They are MAKING new ones. Just like with Crash, the assets are brand new.

Flarin

Not everyone has played it. This introduces it to a brand new audience. Plenty of people playing PS4 that weren't even born in 2005.

But they already remastered this game on PS3. So then does every company remaster every one of their beloved games forever? *looks at the flood of remakes and remasters on PS4* Welp :|

TheMoon

But... They are REMAKING the game. REMADE models, REMADE textures etc. It's not them just upping the resolution and tiding up the original textures. They are MAKING new ones. Just like with Crash, the assets are brand new.

It's the same stupid discussion from Ocarina of Time 3D days. Everything was new. Higher poly 3D models, textures, additional mechanics. But it used the original version's codebase so you weren't allowed to call it a remake.

dracula_x

So what would you suggest to those people who never played this game?

But they already remastered this game on PS3. So then does every company remaster every one of their beloved games forever? *looks at the flood of remakes and remasters on PS4* Welp :|

Sure, all people in the world have a PS3. Also all people in world were born before 2000.

also, it's the same thing as "why 20th Century Fox is re-releasing Alien on 4K Blu-ray, it's already available on VHS!!!"

Frillen

Some people believe there has to be relevant changes to gameplay as well, in order to call something a remake. People have very different opinions on whether or not something is a remake or remaster.

For example, it was discussed whether or not both OOT and The Wind Waker were remakes or remasters. Both got a significant graphical boost, and both had a few QOL changes, but was it enough to call them remakes? Where do we draw the line?

As long as devs are too lazy to implement backwards compability to their new systems, this trend will continue forever.

People often like to trade in their last gen console for the current one. I'm no exception. I won't deny the fact that I don't like to go back to PS3, even though I possess a PS3 and even PS2 even.

Loudninja

Yes remaster it was not a remake.

The game is 12 years old now,people who enjoy The Last Guardian but never play this it makes total sense.

mieumieu

I personally would call the N.Sane Trilogy as Remake.

Whatever Yoshida says, SotC looks totally like a remaster to me. Atleast a remaster with way more effort.

Crash is technically a remake cos lost code and art, but its gameplay is intentionally close to the original. It is a curious case indeed.

It's the same stupid discussion from Ocarina of Time 3D days. Everything was new. Higher poly 3D models, textures, additional mechanics. But it used the original version's codebase so you weren't allowed to call it a remake.

You said it better than me.

I don't get what you're annoyed at or why you couldn't reasonably answer your own questions. Plenty of people no longer have a PS3 or don't want that version or even know about it. This is clearly a much bigger step than that remaster and will likely control and perform better which might be appealing for more people.

It's extremely easy to ignore this release completely if you don't see the 'point'. It's only a good thing IMO if new or different people get to now experience it. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Well I would argue that Crash has a totally different codebase.

this game has more than the slight tweaks we've come to expect from 'remasters' this generation. How many 'remasters' go beyond simple visual tweaks and a higher resolution/framerate? Halo Anniversaries and GTA V?

Just a heads up: I'm just posting an article. I don't even close agree with that statement.

It's clearly a remaster, with just way more effort than other remasters lately.

So, if people come in here and claim: "I thought this was obvious."

Then:

1. Either you are trolling

or

2. You have no idea what a remake is.

Some people made comparisions to Crash.

While the level design is pretty much the same as supposed to the PS1 games. It is a REMAKE.

It's like you have a picture and look at it and try to make a much more prettier picture from scratch, with a picture as help for orientation.

With SotC, you basically erase some lines on the picture and make them much more prettier and modify it more. So, it's just a high effort remaster.

Flarin

I don't get what you're annoyed at or why you couldn't reasonably answer your own questions. Plenty of people no longer have a PS3 or don't want that version or even know about it. This is clearly a much bigger step than that remaster and will likely control and perform better which might be appealing for more people.

It's extremely easy to ignore this release completely if you don't see the 'point'. It's only a good thing IMO if new or different people get to now experience it. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

I guess my point in my reply was that you were saying people weren't born or didn't play it and that's reason enough. You could say that about any game ever and I just don't think that's a good enough reason, especially when it was remastered already.

The only game I can think of that was remastered and then remade was Ratchet & Clank. It at least made sense with R&C because there was a movie. Unless there's a Shadow movie coming or a Shadow II this just seems really out of left field.

Top Bottom