• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Mileena

Banned
Metal gear Collection have many problems and bugs, POP and Splinter Cell are shit, GOW origins and RE CV and 4 HD look like crap, Jak sub HD, Legend and Anniversary in Tomb Raider Trilogy run at 30fps..ect ,The quality controls on these HD ports sure went to hell and do not worth the money at all, ICO/SOTC HD collection was good (still not perfect) but it should be the standard not the exception.

Bullshit. MGS HD, Jak HD, GoW Origins and RE4 HD are all good. SC and PoP are the only bad ones, and SH HD is the only abortion.

Levito

Banned
Despite Shattered Memories becoming my fav Silent Hill I couldn't resist the idea of 2/3 in Hd so I grabbed a 360 copy, didn't know about the issues though. Is it bad enough we should take a refund if unopened?

Yes it is, there's framerate problems, hitching, audio issues, the list goes on...

Get your money back, trust me.

Beth Cyra

Well you could give Downpour a shot, it's actually a pretty good game!

But it also has horrid technical problems. lol

Got to be honest here, unlike alot of fans I loved SM, and Downpour is pretty much everything I don't want after SM when it comes to SH.

I was only getting HD because of nostalgia.

Take a look at the differences and see if they are things that matter to you or not. The 360 version works fine despite the graphical changes, where the PS3 version is totally broken.

I've seen the changes (washed out colours, missing DoF in SH3, lack of fog etc...)...the one I've been wondering about most is the fog in SH2...is it radically scaled back from start to finish, or are the scenes shown (James at the start, meeting Maria by the lake) worse than the rest?

Despite Shattered Memories becoming my fav Silent Hill I couldn't resist the idea of 2/3 in Hd so I grabbed a 360 copy, didn't know about the issues though. Is it bad enough we should take a refund if unopened?

Great to see some appreciation for SM. In spite of its flaws, the story is just as good as it gets in gaming. Heavy Rain came out around the same time and everyone was going crazy about it, but it didn't have a tenth of the beauty of Shattered Memories'. The ending was a real gut punch; perhaps it wouldn't have meant quite so much if I weren't a father myself, but wow...it was the narrative that drew me in to Silent Hill with SH2 the gold standard in that area, and Shattered Memories more than lived up to that.

UrbanRats

Nah controls are good.

Some people were really sure about it, though.
I have to check for myself, yet (i've played the HD, but i have yet to replay the ps2 version for comparison, haven't touched it in years).
IIRC, it was something about Wander constantly losing his grip, much more frequent than in the original version.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Some people were really sure about it, though.
I have to check for myself, yet (i've played the HD, but i have yet to replay the ps2 version for comparison, haven't touched it in years).
IIRC, it was something about Wander constantly losing his grip, much more frequent than in the original version.

Some GAFfer, can't remember his name, told me yesterday that the shitty controls and excessive flailing was due to the HD remaster being based on the PAL version of the game, which apparently had different physics than the NTSC version. Dunno if that's true though. Either way, the climbing in SotC HD is complete and utter shit.

iosef

Great to see some appreciation for SM. In spite of its flaws, the story is just as good as it gets in gaming...The ending was a real gut punch; perhaps it wouldn't have meant quite so much if I weren't a father myself, but wow...it was the narrative that drew me in to Silent Hill with SH2 the gold standard in that area, and Shattered Memories more than lived up to that.

+1. I think SHSM probably carries more emotional impact the older you get, and certainly if you have children. Probably explains some of the divided response.

DMeisterJ

Banned
SH2 is really dated in terms of controls and gameplay, but I'm having a ton of fun being scared and having the hairs on my back raised. I only wish more scary games would come out.

jimi_dini

Some GAFfer, can't remember his name, told me yesterday that the shitty controls and excessive flailing was due to the HD remaster being based on the PAL version of the game, which apparently had different physics than the NTSC version. Dunno if that's true though. Either way, the climbing in SotC HD is complete and utter shit.

PAL had different physics and grip than NTSC. But PAL wasn't flat out broken. PS3 version is not acting like PAL, I should know. I played through PAL completely as well including hard mode and time trial on both difficulty settings. Boss 3 in SotC wasn't THAT bad in PAL. I know he was hard, but it wasn't utter shit. Using the right technique you could manage him quite easily. On PS3 however it's fighting the camera (was on PS2 as well), the physics, Wander being a total idiot and the randomness of gripping (the latter all exclusive on PS3 SotC). Some other bosses got really broken on PS3 as well, but Boss 3 is the worst. Wander is now stumbling around like a total moron. Even slight movement of the bosses cause him to stumble. Gripping is also somewhat broken now. Sometimes Wander will readjust his grip several times. Which means a boss stops shaking, Wander adjusts 2-3 times, wasting time, especially evil on time trial. And when he is finally done, the boss starts shaking again. It's just madness. And to anyone not knowing the controls of SotC - in those cases you cant do anything as the player. You can only let go the grip button, which means Wander falling on the ground. You can't do anything else. A few bosses are much easier now, thanks to the consistent and higher framerate. But this further proves the point that some stuff is broken. I managed to get those bosses the first time, because I knew what I was doing. The other bosses however... don't remind me. Especially don't remind me of ("hard") time trial.

I guess maybe the higher framerate causes those issues, but it doesn't matter. The game should have gotten fixed. Just look at the platinum rating. SotC is not that hard. Not at all. But almost noone got the platinum for that game. ("913 of 20,361 (4.48%) users, have earned this trophy. Estimated Difficulty: Near Impossible"). In comparison Jak II ("720 of 5,199 (13.85%) users, have earned this trophy. Estimated Difficulty: Very Hard")

Konami Customer Support Center

The Konami Customer Support Portal is currently undergoing maintenance.

For all support inquiries, please email us at CustomerSupport@kde-us.com or please call 310.220.8330. Customer Support is available Monday-Friday, between the hours of 8:30am PST and 5pm PST.

Konami got SilentHillCollectioned? or they are trolling.

Persona7

Banned
Trolling, I think.

Doesn't SH3 have some interactions if you have a save from 2? I wonder if this even has those. I can't remember what that extra stuff was though.

kunonabi

Great to see some appreciation for SM. In spite of its flaws, the story is just as good as it gets in gaming. Heavy Rain came out around the same time and everyone was going crazy about it, but it didn't have a tenth of the beauty of Shattered Memories'. The ending was a real gut punch; perhaps it wouldn't have meant quite so much if I weren't a father myself, but wow...it was the narrative that drew me in to Silent Hill with SH2 the gold standard in that area, and Shattered Memories more than lived up to that.

Too bad Sh3 handled the same issues with more grace and subtlety than SM could ever dream of. Ending was pretty damn obvious pretty early on as well. Having the crux of your game dependent on a plot twist is just lazy if you ask me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Too bad Sh3 handled the same issues with more grace and subtlety than SM could ever dream of. Ending was pretty damn obvious pretty early on as well. Having the crux of your game dependent on a plot twist is just lazy if you ask me.

Woah woah woah woah. How is that lazy? That's what I love about SM so much. The twist is so meaningful for the game. It makes you rethink everything you just did, especially the
the nightmare sequences and running away from the enemies
. Even if you somehow figured out the twist (did you figure out the whole twist?), the story is directly tied to the gameplay.

SM is one of my favorite games of the generation, so I obviously like this game a lot more than most people, but I don't understand how that game is lazy.

original voices are an option for SH2. SH3 is all new and partially rewritten and is a significant downgrade.

You guys seriously. Complain about issues in the game, but complain about ACTUAL issues in the game.

* Rewritten? TWO lines are changed, one of them being a correction that actually fixes a mistake. Both approved by Jeremy Blaustein.

* There is no removed PH scene. There's a bug :) /) that causes the load time at the start to extend and black out half a second or so.

* Stop quoting a Customer Support message showing two separate ways to contact customer support and acting like there's no way to contact customer support.

Now go forth and complain, but be responsible.

I'm not going to complain about the lack of effects. I feel like the main problems are the framerate issues and the problem with the cutscene later in Silent Hill 2.I could live with a lack of effects, although I'd prefer not to. However, poor framerate on the PS3 version isn't acceptable in the slightest especially considering they're ports of last generation games that could be handled far better than they were.

I'm honestly pretty disappointed that Konami went down the route of using a cheaper studio for the Silent Hill HD Collection and with the poor performance of the PS3 version it really shows. I wouldn't have ordered the game if I knew it wasn't handled by the same developers as Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (BluePoint) as I assumed that we would be getting an incredibly high quality release considering how large the Silent Hill fanbase is and how well cherished these games are. Sadly, I guess we'll just have to deal with a port with poor performance that doesn't look well on Konami in the slightest. It really shows how much they care about Silent Hill when compared to Metal Gear Solid.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm bashing you or your team here, it just disappoints me how much I was looking forward to this collection for this to happen. It was delayed so many times that I expected the collection to pretty much be perfect.

kunonabi

Woah woah woah woah. How is that lazy? That's what I love about SM so much. The twist is so meaningful for the game. It makes you rethink everything you just did, especially the
the nightmare sequences and running away from the enemies
. Even if you somehow figured out the twist (did you figure out the whole twist?), the story is directly tied to the gameplay.

SM is one of my favorite games of the generation, so I obviously like this game a lot more than most people, but I don't understand how that game is lazy.

Yeah I had a suspicion when Kaufman was talking to his secretary and the crash and then one of his questions confirmed it.

Story tied to gameplay? Doesn't mean much when the gameplay was pretty much absent.

Everything I've seen in regards to SH3 has negative effects in regards to Heather's character and her dynamic with her father. The rewritten line and the new VA's interpretation do not match up to how the game was originally presented and serve to diminish what made the game work. People working on the series now have no appreciation for anything not named SH2 so I can't say I'm surprised that they mucked with SH3 like they did.

Ronald Stiles said:
You guys seriously. Complain about issues in the game, but complain about ACTUAL issues in the game.

* Rewritten? TWO lines are changed, one of them being a correction that actually fixes a mistake. Both approved by Jeremy Blaustein.

* There is no removed PH scene. There's a bug :) /) that causes the load time at the start to extend and black out half a second or so.

* Stop quoting a Customer Support message showing two separate ways to contact customer support and acting like there's no way to contact customer support.

Tomm,

What's the word on the PS3 issues? Any further updates planned to correct these problems? Especially the framerate and stuttering.

Also, any specific reason that some of the effects were removed from Silent Hill 3? Folks are going to complain about these releases regardless (and rightfully so given the state of release for the PS3 version), but I'm curious if there was technical obstacle that the team couldn't get passed in implementing the self-shadowing on Heather? Was it a specific choice to remove the sepia tone and fog effects? How about in 2? Why push back the fog effects in that game? I think a great deal of the "issues" may be alleviated if folks had a bit more understanding of the process and thinking behind the decisions.

I have no interest in bashing you or the team. I'm genuinely interested.

I'm honestly pretty disappointed that Konami went down the route of using a cheaper studio for the Silent Hill HD Collection and with the poor performance of the PS3 version it really shows. I wouldn't have ordered the game if I knew it wasn't handled by the same developers as Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

It's pretty much common practice to see what Gaf says about the game before buying surely. Glad I didn't by the PS3 Skyrim for example.

Also, any specific reason that some of the effects were removed from Silent Hill 3?.

Probably the same reason they removed all the nice effects and details from homecoming and downpour.

My guess the development was filled with a lot of "how the hell did they get that to work?" moments.

It's pretty much common practice to see what Gaf says about the game before buying surely. Glad I didn't by the PS3 Skyrim for example.

I've had it pre-ordered for months. I was disappointed at the delays and by the time the details started coming in on how bugged the release was on PS3 it was sadly too late for me to be able to return the game.

In fact, I wanted to support the collection that much that I didn't request a review copy. Instead I spent my own money on the game and expected the highest quality considering how much praise these two games suggest but I was presented with possibly the worst HD Collection to date. Sure, the Prince of Persia collection was lazy but at least everything in those games worked properly.

UrbanRats

Don't want to be a dick man, but there wouldn't be so much confusion, if Konami had actually released a product that worked.
The amount of bugs and problems (at least on the Ps3 version) seems to be pretty astonishing, and the patch doesn't seem to have made a lot, no one said a thing about it (from Konami) of course, leaving the people who bought the game to be the first, to find out about this shit.
So yeah, i guess some freaking out and confusion is understandable on our part.
Add to that the past experiences with games like Skyrim, where nobody in the press bothered to mention gamebreaking stuff, not until the customers found out by themselves.

Again, i'm sorry if someone is going to take the heat on this, when we don't really know who's responsibility it was, but Konami sure wasn't very transparent on the subject and it's therefore expected, to have confusion from the public.

Combichristoffersen

Good to hear it's just a bug, and not deliberate censoring. Is there a way to fix the bug by patching Also, what the heck happened during the porting process since the games are so buggy, missing effects etc.? I can see why the Jak & Daxter games were hard to port, given that they were written in some custom programming language developed by Naughty Dog, and they did some really insane stuff with the PS2 hardware, but did SH 2 and 3 really do anything like that? Just curious.

So, as someone who never played the original PS2 games, should I buy this?

Get the PS2 or PC versions if you can. If not.. then yeah, I guess you could go for the HD Collection. Playing less than ideal versions of SH 2 and 3 is still better than never playing them at all.

I think a great deal of the "issues" may be alleviated if folks had a bit more understanding of the process and thinking behind the decisions.

I tend to agree. But I also like the idea of keeping my job so I can't talk about this or go into more detail. Sorry. If someone in the media wanted to approach Konami with a post-mortem type thing, that might be a way to go into more detail on the project(s).

As I said to someone on my blog - I picked up the PS3 version so...

Combichristoffersen

I tend to agree. But I also like the idea of keeping my job so I can't talk about this or go into more detail. Sorry. If someone in the media wanted to approach Konami with a post-mortem type thing, that might be a way to go into more detail on the project(s).

Understandable. Thanks for replying to us anyway. And you'll always be good in my book, if only for that recent SH podcast you partook in where you spilled the beans on Double Helix's plans for eventual Homecoming sequels :lol

Edit: One thing I hope you can answer though.. Has there ever been any talk of porting SH: The Arcade to home consoles?

I myself am completely fine with you not going into more details. I just have one question to ask you that can hopefully be answered:

Is there a chance of getting another patch for the PS3 version to fix the framerate issues and the cutscene issues in the game? While I'm completely fine on the removed effects, I'm not exactly too much of a fan of the game running worse.

Persona7

Banned
I've had it pre-ordered for months. I was disappointed at the delays and by the time the details started coming in on how bugged the release was on PS3 it was sadly too late for me to be able to return the game.

In fact, I wanted to support the collection that much that I didn't request a review copy. Instead I spent my own money on the game and expected the highest quality considering how much praise these two games suggest but I was presented with possibly the worst HD Collection to date. Sure, the Prince of Persia collection was lazy but at least everything in those games worked properly.

If you bought the game on Amazon, they will give you a full refund for this game even if it is opened.

It is clearly a defective game and Amazon treats it as such.

Just beat SH2.

These fuckers removed the music that plays when James and Mary are talking in the bedroom after the final boss.

WHY?

Why the fuck of all things would you do that? Whenever Mary whispers "James..." this piece of music is supposed to begin and play during their final conversation.

In HD Collection? NAH FUCK YOU, NO MUSIC. DEAD SILENT.

Is that responsible enough for you, Roland?

If not, how about this: in the ending letter that Mary is narrating, the fucking subtitles and the audio are so badly out of synch, they often exit the top of the screen before Mary says that part. In the original game, it did that at the very end, but only because they wanted the final line to have its own space.

Considering the other things pitifully wrong (TOO FUCKING DARK) that I've pointed out before, this fucking thing is such a goddamn abortion. Everyone at Hi Jinx Studios should be blackballed from the gaming industry. If you can manage to fuck up one of the best video games of all time this badly, GTFO.

I will celebrate the day Tomm Hulett gets shitcanned and Konami finally goes away forever. Both have been completely reckless with a brand that has meant a lot to a lot of people. It's clear neither entity know what the fuck they are doing.

I'm done with Silent Hill after playing this travesty and everyone involved should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Never again will I ever pay for a Silent Hill product Hulett's name is involved in. I'm putting HD Collection back into the DREADED~! used games market and will continue to play my original games that Hulett and his goons can't manage to fuck up unless they break in my house to shatter my discs.

Honestly, if you can manage to do this to two fantastic games, fuck off.

Just beat SH2.

These fuckers removed the music that plays when James and Mary are talking in the bedroom after the final boss.

WHY?

Why the fuck of all things would you do that? Whenever Mary whispers "James..." this piece of music is supposed to begin and play during their final conversation.

If not, how about this: in the ending letter that Mary is narrating, the fucking subtitles and the audio are so badly out of synch, they often exit the top of the screen before Mary says that part. In the original game, it did that at the very end, but only because they wanted the final line to have its own space.

Considering the other things pitifully wrong (TOO FUCKING DARK) that I've pointed out before, this fucking thing is such a goddamn abortion. Everyone at Hi Jinx Studios should be blackballed from the gaming industry. If you can manage to fuck up one of the best video games of all time this badly, GTFO.

I will celebrate the day Tomm Hulett gets shitcanned and Konami finally goes away forever. Both have been completely reckless with a brand that has meant a lot to a lot of people. It's clear neither entity know what the fuck they are doing.

I'm done with Silent Hill after playing this travesty and everyone involved should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Never again will I ever pay for a Silent Hill product Hulett's name is involved in. I'm putting HD Collection back into the DREADED~! used games market and will continue to play my original games that Hulett and his goons can't manage to fuck up unless they break in my house to shatter my discs.

iBUh1ZreyZjlg.gif

UrbanRats

Just beat SH2.

WHY?

Lol, damn son, calm down a bit, you'll get a stroke.

Teknoman

Nah controls are good.

Yeah Shadow of the Colossus controls just fine for me in the HD collection. Looks/runs fine too.

Also success:

jcz2Ez4p74nau.jpg

Just cut my losses and returned the PS3 version. Now I just need to either find the real SH2 and SH3 cases, or just print them...and i'm never good at printing accurate DVD cases. Really wish this wasnt the case with the HD collection...

Lol, damn son, calm down a bit, you'll get a stroke.

Dude. I am fucking livid, lol.

When I realized out they took the music out of that last part and saw how badly the subtitles were out of synch with the audio in the final letter, I just lost it.

But trust me, my rage is only contained to typing. So my house and my pet are safe.

Mileena

Banned

Is there gonna be an actual patch that fixes problems in the PS3 version or did you guys just sell everyone a broken piece of shit with no intentions on fixing it?

Teknoman

Just beat SH2.

WHY?

jbrXP0Bbr97CGP.png

I thought he was just responsible for the voice acting?

Combichristoffersen

I want to know this. Would buy it from PSN day one.

...and virtually no-one got to play it in the arcades, so they won't know how bad the port is. :p

Come to think of it, Konami could just do a quick port (lololol) of Shattered Memories (Wii version) and release it on PSN with Move support.

UrbanRats

Dude. I am fucking livid, lol.

When I realized out they took the music out of that last part and saw how badly the subtitles were out of synch with the audio in the final letter, I just lost it.

But trust me, my rage is only contained to typing. So my house and my pet are safe.

I get the passion, since SH2 is my favorite game, but i think Hulett is gonna be a scapegoat here.
Don't know how much say he had on the project, because it's not clear, but i'd be really surprised if he had complete control on the whole thing.
I mean Konami is being shit on the whole (outside maybe of KojiPro), it's not like this is an isolated case.
So yeah, i don't think it's that fair to shit on Hulett, like the Deus Ex Machina behind this blunder.

About an hour into the 360 version of SH2 with zero issues.

For anyone on the fence: please disregard the hysterics on forums. It looks great. If you have a strange nostalgic attachment to the grime on the street textures of the original, I can understand your pain. Voice work is also inarguably better.

Can't speak to the PS3 version, but at this point in the game, you should know by now that buying a multiplatform PS3 release is a roll of the dice.

kunonabi

Yeah Shadow of the Colossus controls just fine for me in the HD collection. Looks/runs fine too.

Also success:

jcz2Ez4p74nau.jpg

Just cut my losses and returned the PS3 version. Now I just need to either find the real SH2 and SH3 cases, or just print them...and i'm never good at printing accurate DVD cases. Really wish this wasnt the case with the HD collection...

You can have my SH3 cover art. I replaced it with the Japanese cover awhile back since it has this grimy bootleg look that I really like.

It's in pretty good condition. It has no markings or tears. Send me a pm if interested.

@Teknoman

When something goes wrong Hulett is just a producer and has no effect on the product. When something goes right he's one of us who is doing his best to preserve SH.

I'm personally waiting on the latter to actually happen. The podcast thing, if true, is really the only thing I would consider a success.

Combichristoffersen

I get the passion, since SH2 is my favorite game, but i think Hulett is gonna be a scapegoat here.
Don't know how much say he had on the project, because it's not clear, but i'd be really surprised if he had complete control on the whole project.
I mean Konami is being shit on the whole (outside maybe of KojiPro), it's not like this is an isolated case.
So yeah, i don't think it's that fair to shit on Hulett, like the Deus Ex Machina behind this blunder.

Tomm was mainly in charge of the voice acting/voice work AFAIK, so personally I don't blame him for the messy ports, and really don't think he deserves to be the scapegoat here. I blame Hijinx Studios, Konami's poor QA and the higher-ups at Konami who hired Hijinx to port the games.

Beth Cyra

About an hour into the 360 version of SH2 with zero issues.

For anyone on the fence: please disregard the hysterics on forums. It looks great. If you have a strange nostalgic attachment to the grime on the street textures of the original, I can understand your pain. Voice work is also inarguably better.

Can't speak to the PS3 version, but at this point in the game, you should know by now that buying a multiplatform PS3 release is a roll of the dice.

It had been years for me. I only thought they where good games, figured after loving SM so much I should give them another try.

It's hard to really tell where to fall on this one, even more so because the biggest downer to me in games is a shit frame rate.

Top Bottom