• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Did you turn off your flashlight? I remember that not working on the PS2 version once, and it had to do with my flashlight. This was several years ago, so I could be remembering wrong.

No, the flashlight was on. Considering that the game is so fucking dark and you can't see shit without it, yeah, it was on.

It definitely didn't play in my game. We livestreamed it so there's proof. Let me find it.

http://www.twitch.tv/enigmatickaostv/b/312335951

Skip to 58:30. No noise.

Was expecting another thread title change today to master system downport, am dissapoint.

Is this still being released this friday in europe?

XOMTOR

You have to knock more than once.

Yup, just tried it on the PC version and I had to knock a few times for it to play. I got it to happen a second time but I had to exit and re-enter and knock quite a few times. Question, is the sound-bite supposed to be really short? I was expecting something a bit more dramatic so when it happened, I was thinking "that's it?".

Since, it's almost impossible to get SH 2 and 3 on PC these days. I thought it couldn't hurt to put them on gog.com's wishlist. To my surprise, both games had already around 400 votes each.
Nyet! Ebay, Amazon. Copies range from 30-40$. Just bought a boxed copy SH3 this week, with soundtrack and instructions, for 43$ with shipping.

Yes, not sure how it would react with modern gamepads though.

Well, don't know in general, but it's not reacting with my 360 controller at all. It seems to not even recognize it... oO

Gah, this is why I don't really play on PC except if it's supposed to be played with mouse and keyboard, why is it always so hard to get gamepads to work?

HELP??? Please? :(

EDIT: Nevermind, it does recognize him now... all it took was a reboot.

HOWEVER... how in the hell do I map the controls? It's not really allowing me to... and the default controls are, sadly, unusable.

Lime

Well, don't know in general, but it's not reacting with my 360 controller at all. It seems to not even recognize it... oO

Gah, this is why I don't really play on PC except if it's supposed to be played with mouse and keyboard, why is it always so hard to get gamepads to work?

HELP??? Please? :(

EDIT: Nevermind, it does recognize him now... all it took was a reboot.

HOWEVER... how in the hell do I map the controls? It's not really allowing me to... and the default controls are, sadly, unusable.

Double click the gamepad column to assign gamepad buttons to the specific command. Like how you would in almost any other game.

Levito

Banned
This is a post I made over on Silent Hill Community, hopefully some people on here feel the same way.

The most heartbreaking thing about this collection is.. The fact that yet another entire generation of gamers will now pass on 2 amazing games.

I know many of us hardcore Silent Hill fans are disappointed that we can't play Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 on our modern consoles and TV's without them being completely broken. However at the end of the day we still have our PS2, PC and Xbox copies. We know these games inside and out and they are probably so engraved in our hearts and minds that it would be impossible to forget them. We've played through them so many times that we could probably play through the entire series in our heads.

However I know I'm not alone here when I say that I have many friends at are also gamers, but have never played Silent hill 1-3. I've tried for many years to get a few of my friends to try them, but am always met with reluctance. Be it the PC version is hard to get working on modern PC's, or they don't have a PS2 or xbox anymore. For someone that hasn't played the series it requires some amount of effort that not everyone is willing to put in to track down an old copy, especially if they unsure if they'll even like it.

That's where this collection was going to come into play. Not only would it make getting a brand new copy as easy as driving down to the local game store, but gamers could even play them on their current consoles and HDTV's!

I for one have one friend in particular that is a creative writing major that's always wanted to play Silent Hill 2 because of it's acclaimed story specifically, but hasn't owned a PS2 for years. He was planning on picking this collection up, but after reading all the bad news he has yet again decided to pass, and I can't blame him.

The Silent Hill series is pivotal in gaming's strive to be considered "art", and the most important entries in this movement have not easily available for many people to play, and now that an easily accessible version has been released, it's completely broken.

That's the most disappointing thing about this collection for me hands down, I personally just wanted more people to experience these classics.

kunonabi

People were never really going to be able to experience these games properly anyway. SH3 would have been a different,and worse, game regardless of the graphical issues and I don't think it's possible to fully appreciate it without the original SH on the collection to begin with.

Double click the gamepad column to assign gamepad buttons to the specific command. Like how you would in almost any other game.

I don't have Down Syndrome. The whole reason I'm asking is because that doesn't work. I can't even access the joypad section.

This is why the masses don't do PC gaming anymore. It's never linear...

EDIT:

Reinstalled it, now it's fine... except it's not recognizing the triggers. Which means not enough buttons... *sigh*, gonna have to use the DS2, it seems.

Someone on that? I'd offer to do so, but BrandonHawk kills it with the thread skills. I'd love a place to talk about the one series of games I'd label art. (SH2 being the top contender.)

lol what

anyway, yeah someone else can do that :p I can help out with graphics/logos or whatever, just shoot me a PM (whoever decides to do it, also saw that disappeared was interested).

Koroviev

I don't have Down Syndrome. The whole reason I'm asking is because that doesn't work. I can't even access the joypad section.

This is why the masses don't do PC gaming anymore. It's never linear...

EDIT:

Reinstalled it, now it's fine... except it's not recognizing the triggers. Which means not enough buttons... *sigh*, gonna have to use the DS2, it seems.

That Down syndrome comment was uncalled for :(

FINALBOSS

Banned
Can someone tell me WHAT THE FUCK is up with the walking?

I'm on control scheme 2D...and my guy like stutter steps every 5 feet. REALLY pissing me off (yes I just started playing).

Persona7

Banned
Can someone tell me WHAT THE FUCK is up with the walking?

I'm on control scheme 2D...and my guy like stutter steps every 5 feet. REALLY pissing me off (yes I just started playing).

Yeah, this happened to me twice for about 15 minutes each time but it eventually corrected itself. Only on Silent Hill 2.

I got to the Historical Society before I finished for the night. Despite this collection being a terrible port of both games, Silent Hill 2 seems to be the lesser of two evils. It really seems as though they tried to make SH2 look and sound as good as possible while seemingly ignoring SH3 for the most part. Yes, I know there is a lot of framerate stuttering, the Pyramid Head cutscene glitch, missing fog in some areas, and so forth, but this hasn't disappointed me nearly as much as Silent Hill 3. Also, yes, I do see plenty of fog in the town. I have no idea why it disappears for the Rosewater Park cutscene, but while exploring the town I noticed trees in pretty close vicinity being obscured by fog as well as James himself sometimes. The framerate stuttering and running slow-down are annoying, though.

Also, why would they remove the sound of horns as you descend into the historical society? It completely removes the tension of that moment.

I know...but is this happening to other people? It's driving me fucking nuts--is it just the beginning? It's like impossible to move anywhere lol

It's even worse in Silent Hill 3 when the environment is trying to kill you too.

Roxas

My EU copy arrived today, im playing SH2. Do the problems start after Blue Creek Apartments? because the only problem i have had so far is the slowing down while running thing, which is rare

edit: Also, the Pyramid Head "rape" scene has NOT been cut.

Persona7

Banned
I experienced several issues within the first 5 minutes of gameplay.

The Pyramid Head scene was not cut, there was a bug that caused the scene to start before the screen from the load to fade in so it appeared like it was toned down.

Persona7

Banned
Ugh, just encountered a hard freeze twice in a row.

If I try to enter the door that you unlock near the jukebox after putting the lightbulb in the lamp.

kunonabi

Well all this butchering has inspired me to go back the originals.

I'm going to start with SH1 since it actually exists and SM is no way a worthy substitute.

I lost my memory card with all my saves so I'll be starting from scratch. I'll get the good ending since it is my personal favorite.

Levito

Banned
I actually played about an hour of my original PS2 copy of SH2, the fog effects still look outstanding. Still can't believe they removed them.

I actually played about an hour of my original PS2 copy of SH2, the fog effects still look outstanding. Still can't believe they removed them.

I don't think they removed them, per se. I just don't think they had any fucking clue how to do it properly because they're just a mobile developer. They should have never been given this project, but that's Konami for you.

Teknoman

Armored Core V is good? I've never played those games, but I'm interested.

Its fun once you get all the different gameplay mechanics down.

EDIT: Are there any other Paper Silent Hill series entries, because that was great. And damn, Sterling ripped into them...pretty justified though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished my replay of SH3, and goddamn is the church area disturbing. Also, the cutscene before the final boss, was that
Valtiel dragging Claudia down into the suspiciously vagina-like hole
?

Lime

Finished my replay of SH3, and goddamn is the church area disturbing. Also, the cutscene before the final boss, was that
Valtiel dragging Claudia down into the suspiciously vagina-like hole
?

Yes, it's
Valtiel. According to the Translated Memories, his function is to "ensure the birth of God.", which explains why he violently drags Claudia-with-fetus-in-her-stomach(?) into the vagina-hole.

Combichristoffersen

I suspected as much, but good to have it clarified. And that scene with Claudia
eating the fetus
might very well be the single most disturbing scene I've seen in any SH game to date.

Combichristoffersen

Have they fixed the PS3 version now or is it still busted? 360 seems to be the way to go then...

No fix for the PS3 version (I played the PS2 version of SH3, and started up the OG PS2 version right after I finished SH3). If you really want to get the HD Collection, the 360 version is definitely the best version.

Ridley327

I suspected as much, but good to have it clarified. And that scene with Claudia
eating the fetus
might very well be the single most disturbing scene I've seen in any SH game to date.

I got to that part late at night and I could not believe my TV when that entire scene was transpiring. One of the few genuine what moments I've ever had.

Cudder

Beat SH2 yesterday. I actually really liked the new VO's.
except for Mary's letter in the end. No re-recording could ever beat the original.

Top Bottom