• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silk Road founder sentenced to life in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
Um..... sure.

different strokes, different folks. there was a lot of cheap medicine sold on silk too, it wasn't just hard drugs. doctors and pharmacists have too much power in my state, the bill for opoids (if you're lucky to get them prescribed) is outrageous without insurance.

re: what goes into my body, i value absolute freedom over whatever teet the government will let me suck on.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
different strokes, different folks. there was a lot of cheap medicine sold on silk too, it wasn't just hard drugs. doctors and pharmacists have too much power in my state, the bill for opoids (if you're lucky to get them prescribed) is outrageous without insurance.

re: what goes into my body, i value absolute freedom over whatever teet the government will let me suck on.

I value freedom too. That's why I don't like people selling substances to others that take their freedom away

Dead Man

He was hit with seven different charges, including money laundering and conspiring in narcotic trafficking.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...y-in-silk-road-online-drug-trafficking-trial/

The seven charges include three drug counts: distributing or aiding and abetting the distribution of narcotics, distributing narcotics or aiding and abetting distribution over the Internet, and conspiracy to violate narcotics laws. He was also convicted on a fourth count of conspiracy to run a "continuing criminal enterprise," which involves supervising at least five other people in an organization. in addition, he was convicted on conspiracy charges for computer hacking, distributing false identification, and money laundering

Yeah, not seeing life sentence there, unless he was personally delivering drugs and ID to customers. Sounds like he got hit for enabling a market, which is what all sorts of organisations do. May as well prosecute Tor for terrorism.

Again, I have no sympathy for the guy, but what these charges relate to seem like the government getting pissy that he was flouting the rules, rather than the severity of the law breaking by him specifically. Was HE selling drugs on there? If so, yeah, I can see the penalty being reasonable. If he just provided the site, then no, it's not reasonable to me.
He tried to have people murdered!

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, sorry. Those actions were not part of the charges in this trial.

I value freedom too. That's why I don't like people selling substances to others that take their freedom away

So you campaign against tobacco and alcohol too, right?

KingGondo

Banned
Just finished that Wired article about the case. Highly recommended.

I have much less sympathy for him now. I think the sentence is a bit strong for just the website, but the dude facilitated sales of drugs that likely resulted in the death of the buyers, and then showed virtually no remorse because of his libertarian ideals. The logical endgame to a truly "free market": buyer beware.

And that doesn't even get into the several murders he ordered.

What a fascinating story.

Not surprised seeing as it's in the US, he really lost control of himself. For anyone interested in this site's history or the story of the guy behind it and how difficult it was to catch him, Wired has an amazing write up on him here:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-1/?mbid=social_twitter

It's quite long, but worth the read. It's a Hollywood story through and through.

Thanks for the link mane, that was cheesy (writing) and really interesting at the same time.

Tesseract

Banned

me too, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. freedom-stealing substances are sold by nearly every doctor worldwide.

i just want the option to obtain anything i want. i'll go through whatever necessary processes to do so, but the option should be mine to have.

me too, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. freedom-stealing substances are sold by nearly every doctor worldwide.

i just want the option to obtain anything i want. i'll go through whatever necessary processes to do so, but the option should be mine to have.

I feel pretty comfortable denying people the ability to purchase enriched uranium. That's something I'm okay with you not being able to buy.

Tesseract

Banned
I feel pretty comfortable denying people the ability to purchase enriched uranium. That's something I'm okay with you not being able to buy.

i already own 15 pounds of pure uranium, i got no use for other. but don't be silly, that's obviously not what i meant ;0

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Not surprised seeing as it's in the US, he really lost control of himself. For anyone interested in this site's history or the story of the guy behind it and how difficult it was to catch him, Wired has an amazing write up on him here:

It's quite long, but worth the read. It's a Hollywood story through and through.
Just read part one and two, thanks for posting! What an incredible read, holy crap.

Fjordson

Reading the article is just reminding me of how complicated and vast drugs are as an issue. And that the government / law enforcement's war against drugs will literally never end until they stop fighting it. Always gonna be someone out there slanging something.

Homeboy wanted to deal dope, he needed an actual dope boy to teach him the ropes about slanging rather than apply his ideology on this game. Just cos you are smart in one area does not mean you are wise to another area of expertise.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

Thanks, great read.. will make a good movie one day... it's got all the parts to a good movie.

That said, life is pretty harsh.. 20-30 would have been fair.. he did some terrible things.

good read, the twist at the end was something.

The sentence is obviously a sight to behold, but that is the risk you run when when you engage in the activities that he engaged in. I would be pretty surprised if the punishment gets reduced, the guidelines are advisory not mandates and from the limited amount that I've read about this, the defense's position would have basically opened the door to all the other evidence of wrong doing coming in.

br3wnor

Just finished that Wired article about the case. Highly recommended.

I have much less sympathy for him now. I think the sentence is a bit strong for just the website, but the dude facilitated sales of drugs that likely resulted in the death of the buyers, and then showed virtually no remorse because of his libertarian ideals. The logical endgame to a truly "free market": buyer beware.

And that doesn't even get into the several murders he ordered.

What a fascinating story.

Yeah that was awesome, it's 1:30 in the morning and my eyes are burning but I couldn't stop reading. Fantastic article.

What a twist at the end. Will look forward to the book coming out next year.

Mael

The guy got the book thrown at him.
Considering the overwhelming amount of evidence they have against him and how he tried to fight his way out of it unscathed I can't say I'm surprised at the sentence.
He got what he deserved.
People complain about how we don't treat corruption charges the same way and blablabla....
Well if we got a corrupt official with as much dirt as we got in this case he probably would get life too.
Seriously who's dumb enough to do what Sideshow Bob did when he was mayor
6.gif

Toxi

Banned
The guy got the book thrown at him.
Considering the overwhelming amount of evidence they have against him and how he tried to fight his way out of it unscathed I can't say I'm surprised at the sentence.
He got what he deserved.
People complain about how we don't treat corruption charges the same way and blablabla....
Well if we got a corrupt official with as much dirt as we got in this case he probably would get life too.
Seriously who's dumb enough to do what Sideshow Bob did when he was mayor
6.gif
Wait, Sideshow Bob was mayor in an episode?

- J - D -

A fascinating story told beautifully here. It unfolds like the of best cyber-thriller novellas mixed with classic crime empire movies, complete with an idealistic but ultimately hubristic lead, interdepartmental crime fighting, and an amazing twist at the end.

that article basically came down to "buy my screenplay! buy my screenplay!"

and I watch it too. Alas, I have spoiled myself by reading ahead. I wasn't very surprised by the allegations at the end though. I mean, a sudden return to church-going saint? I know this response is cliché, but: yeah right. That was waaaay too convenient after describing a deep entry into crime. Though obviously that is still just allegation.

also, when I read the first section of this, I wasn't the only thinking that Green was basically Mr. Plinkett, right?

icYa5FTDfiDpb.gif

Totally and Chris Tarbell sounds like the perfect protagonist. Man that guy did everything perfect right down to preventing his San Fran FBI colleagues from going with loud and hot with a giant swat team.

How his undercover team secured the laptop and arrested Ross is how police work should be done. A thing of beauty.

For what it's worth this seemingly happened to Tarbell after he busted Ross in 2013

According to The Register, Silk Road members have been active on anonymous forums calling for a campaign of fear against all of the FBI agents involved in the operation to shut down the website.

The names and address of the agents involved have been shared on these forums - which are only accessible through the hidden Tor network - with the so-called Elliot Ness of Cyberspace, Special Agent Christopher Tarbell one of the principle targets.

Home address revealed

The home address of Tarbell was posted on a thread titled "Crowdsource this: let's find out where Special Agent Christopher Tarbell lives." However administrators have now deleted the thread in an attempt to keep a lid on the rising anger among Silk Road users following the FBI raid.

A user called MendoHashMan wrote: "I think there should be a public list of all agents involved, names, addresses, pictures, family info, just make it known that we know. Make them look over their shoulder and worry about who is watching them! No violence needed, just constant fear!"

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/silk-road-drug-dealers-revenge-fbi-christopher-512899

So yeah Silk Road users are just stand up civilians and don't come of looking at all like organized crime mafiosos.

Opto

Banned
Totally and Chris Tarbell sounds like the perfect protagonist. Man that guy did everything perfect right down to preventing his San Fran FBI colleagues from going with loud and hot with a giant swat team.

How his undercover team secured the laptop and arrested Ross is how police work should be done. A thing of beauty.
yeah the whole diversion and laptop grab happening was perfect. maybe the people around you are random people, or maybe they're the best goddamn agents ever

yeah the whole diversion and laptop grab happening was perfect. maybe the people around you are random people, or maybe they're the best goddamn agents ever

The image wired created out of that moment is beautiful.

And by all accounts they came up with that whole thing on the fly.

Imagine in the movie we're following Chris following Ross, cutting to the other FBI guys who want to go in with their SWAT team, we see Ross go into the cafe, cut back to the swat team getting ready to fly towards Ross like rhinos, we watch him leave and go towards the library, cut to Tarbell tracking him looking at his watch,cut to SWAT getting in vehicles, Ross goes to library and settles in and an Asian woman sits down next to him, cut to other FBI agent whose laptop is dying (close up on the 20% battery life), SWAT is en route time is running out, cut to Tarbell looking nervous he doesn't know who is an agent who isn't, Ross logs into Silk Road, FBI agent with laptop just still barely alive finally confirms it's him they have their go, cut to SWAT team almost there cut back to an argument breaking out Ross is distracted for nary a second and in that second bam Asian woman grabs laptop just as Ross turns around his fingers just missing it hitting the table instead, bam handcuffed. Asian woman hands laptop to FBI agent who confirms everything, Tarbell sighs in relief, cut to Tarbell hauling Ross out of library (and for dramatic fun let's have the SWAT team arrive on scene and getting out of their armoured cars and what not guns in hands as Tarbell calmly walks the prisoner to his car). Tarbell and Ross sit in the back seat and Ross tries to bribe him Tarbell refuses in that humourous way laid out in the wired article. End Scene.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I took the time to read this article and now I want a movie of the rise and fall of Silk Road to be a thing.

There is no way it won't be.

Even without the twist it is immensely compelling. After the twist, Hollywood must be killing each other over the rights.

I hope the movie is called "Libertarians".

Ke0

For what it's worth this seemingly happened to Tarbell after he busted Ross in 2013

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/silk-road-drug-dealers-revenge-fbi-christopher-512899

So yeah Silk Road users are just stand up civilians and don't come of looking at all like organized crime mafiosos.

Man, people get on the internet and just say crazy stuff. It boggles the mind. Like some of that stuff is word for word what gamers said about that Anita girl and the other one. What is wrong with these folks.

Man, people get on the internet and just say crazy stuff. It boggles the mind. Like some of that stuff is word for word what gamers said about that Anita girl and the other one. What is wrong with these folks.

They're libertarians mostly.

Nah I kid (not really)

Daffy Duck

Holy shit, just finished part 1. True Hollywood story there!

Crazy

Zeus7

Force related spoilers
Can't believe he was corrupt all along!
The Wired article is well worth a read.

Finished the Wired article. Zero sympathy for this loser and his delusional, juvenile, hypocritical worldview. I've seen my former best friend go off on Facebook about how much of a hero he is, and it only reaffirms my decision to make a clean break from that guy a long time ago.

For real though, now I kinda wanna go play some BioShock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom