• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity code includes 20 minute force shutdown timer for offline play

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The real test for Simcity will probably be if it sells DLC and expansions as well as The Sims does. High initial sales are nice, of course, but I'd imagine EA is banking on DLC sales here.

All of this can't be good for those...

Speaking of Sims 3 they just plopped the Maxis logo in the update.

raven777

I don't know much about the simcity situation or PC game codes.

So simply deleting those 2 lines from the code will allow offline play without the 20 minute restrictions?

Daingurse

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

It's like EA is committed to keeping up it's image as an evil anti-consumerist corporation. This whole fiasco is the gift that keeps giving me great entertainment.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I noticed. An ominous sign of things to come? Or just a reminder to update the No Intro mod? Come to think of it, probably both...

I removed the No Intro mod because it causes crashes for some odd reason.

And I always thought it's just a proof that "Maxis" is just a PR stunt - they never actually left. They're still in EA. That's why I shrugged when people touted "IT'S MAXIS GUYS!"

Sojgat

Amazing.

Even if the game had launched flawlessly someone would have found this eventually anyway. What the hell are EA thinking?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Let me get this straight, if I get the game and play via origin AND remove that line of code I've successfully managed to remove the DRM ? ( Or rather the always online part of the DRM )

Ken

Let me get this straight, if I get the game and play via origin AND remove that line of code I've successfully managed to remove the DRM ? ( Or rather the always online part of the DRM )

From what I understand, yes, but you wouldn't be able to save your city without going online.

Guys it's not like there is a switch they can flip to make the game work offline it would take a large amount of time and effort.

Ahahahahahahahahah.
s5OKUKO.gif

Corky

From what I understand, yes, but you wouldn't be able to save your city without going online.

Bummer. In the end I'm glad this has gone down the way it has, obviously not glad for Maxis as I'm sure they'd have it play out differently but glad that EA has tripped and handled this game so inconceivably horribly that hopefully other companies will think twice before trying to scam consumers like this.

Why didn't EA just say that the online DRM was just to protect their investment instead of coming up with these lies. I bought the game, but it seems like I just fed the beast.

V_Arnold

It is almost as if Maxis understood the hilarity of the whole situation that EA has put them in (if they did), and opted to give the power to the player's hands. Which is awesome.

The alternative is that, as their PR suggests, they not only choose this hell for themselves, they also made sure to fail spectacularly at it.

Anyone who thinks that you can delete the 20 minute auto-quit function literally doesn't know what they're talking about.

To those thousands of GAFfers who are enjoying the Always-Connected™ functionality, what features are you particularly enjoying?

I'm starting to think SimCity started as some F2P game under EA Play4Free label. But sometime during developement EA changed their mind and converted game to be retail release.
Everything suggests that - smaller regions, UI in javascript, using only one CPU core for computing, forced multiplayer.

It almost certainly did start as "Simcity Social". A very large amount of the interface and design reeks of having begun life as a browser game and relying on microtransactions to keep your city growing. A friend and I have been speculating that the game was repurposed for retail after Zynga stock tanked and the Facebook market began to collapse substantially. This is an attempt to salvage a social game, without the talent necessary to actually make it an engaging SimCity game. The hilariously simplistic AI, which was probably put together in a few weeks at most, makes this abundantly clear.

It's worth noting: very few people are talking about "social" games at GDC this year.

Corky

Anyone who thinks that you can delete the 20 minute auto-quit function literally doesn't know what they're talking about.

To those thousands of GAFfers who are enjoying the Always-Connected™ functionality, what features are you particularly enjoying?

Well Cumpkin I love how I can battle it out with my friends and show the rest of our acquaintances which of us is the best. Especially showing them on facebook. I like this social aspect of SimCity ™ as it brings out the awesomeness of the interplay between the Sims ™ and SimCity ™. I'm going to buy that cool new tileset and show it off to my friends, YEAH! Being able to fire up Origin ™ and and jump into SimCity ™ for some great multiplayer action is why I always come back to the high quality, AAA, big blockbuster games of EA ™. Here's to us gamers ©!

kill me...

Dead Man

Gies? Is that you? :)

Kaizer

Banned
Jesus, this game is a mess. I'm glad I'm not interested in this genre or SimCity, because I'd be pissed from all the shit surrounding this disaster.

xenist

Well Cumpkin I love how I can battle it out with my friends and show the rest of our acquaintances which of us is the best. Especially showing them on facebook. I like this social aspect of SimCity ™ as it brings out the awesomeness of the interplay between the Sims ™ and SimCity ™. I'm going to buy that cool new tileset and show it off to my friends, YEAH! Being able to fire up Origin ™ and and jump into SimCity ™ for some great multiplayer action is why I always come back to the high quality, AAA, big blockbuster games of EA ™. Here's to us gamers ©!

kill me...

Not enough keywords.

Daingurse

Christ, if this game wasn't so chock full of disastrous always online drm it probably would have been a run of the mill AAA hit that wouldn't surprise many if it were included in some gaming journalist's top ten of the year. But now. . .lol

Pachael

I noticed. An ominous sign of things to come? Or just a reminder to update the No Intro mod? Come to think of it, probably both...

Well, pre-spectucular blowup I've been thinking that Sims 4 would follow the same path as SimCity in its social, always-connected regions neighbourhoods where you can work with friends to save the nearby forest or party on in a regional neighbourhood campus (as DLC, natch).

Post-blowup, my thoughts are that it'll be the same, but they'll change the .packages.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I have no doubt in my mind that this fiasco won't really dent EA. It'll hurt Maxis quite some, but not EA. But hopefully, EA knows that it has to not have a repeat of this fiasco. That might be the saving grace from all this.

Actually, this does hurt EA. The Sim City IP is one of EA's valued assets. If Sim City goes tits up because of this fiasco, that means the franchise devalues and EA's value goes down. This reduces their stock price and hits them where it REALLY counts: the shareholders. Sure, EA makes money on this, but essentially the same way a snake oil salesman does. He might make out like a bandit, but people aren't going to buy the same bottles when he comes back around. This is the same problem they had with Medal of Honor. In fact, this makes five EA franchises in three years that EA ended up devaluing due to vocal consumer backlash (Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, The Old Republic, Medal of Honor, Sim City), and more if you count reduced consumer interest (Dead Space 3, Need For Speed though that's cleaned up in the last couple years). It's yet to be seen if future titles, such as Battlefield 4, are devalued by EA's continued (poor) monetization strategies, but I wouldn't be surprised. I do hope shareholders take EA to task for this anti-consumerist bullshit, but I can only hope.

McNum

Well, pre-spectucular blowup I've been thinking that Sims 4 would follow the same path as SimCity in its social, always-connected regions neighbourhoods where you can work with friends to save the nearby forest or party on in a regional neighbourhood campus (as DLC, natch).

Post-blowup, my thoughts are that it'll be the same, but they'll change the .packages.
So you're saying that The Sims will end at 3? I'm seeing that happening, too...

And THAT would be a blow EA would feel. The Sims is a major franchise, if the base Sims 4 game leave a bad impression, so few people buy the DLC and expansions, well... Bye Maxis!

nubbe

This is the result when marketing and accounting design games.

I hope all games a crowd funded in the future.

Is this real life? Like, damn.... have we even reached the bottom of the rabbit hole?

I hope not, it's hilarious.

Now I like Maxis and SimCity (and did like The Sims but I seriously worry for its future) and I wanted a great game to come out of this and for Maxis to come out on top, but this all going belly up over and over again might hopefully make EA realise that they need to make serious changes to how they run their company, studios and how they make games.

I just hope Maxis themselves don't suffer too much, but this being EA I doubt that will be the case.

Top Bottom