• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG247] I’m excited to play Starfield, but that 30fps news took the wind out of my sails

MMaRsu

Banned
Every Bethesda game has simulation going on and it is a new gen console that runs circles around previous hardware and even most current gaming PCs, so I have to call bullshit on that one.

Also you have Todd howard saying that the gane runs often way above 60 fps and sometimes at 60. But keep going with the bullshit excuses I do enjoy it.
What excuses bud?

What are you trying to argue here exactly? Same question to you as to the poster above.

Do you think every game that comes out on these 'next gen systems' will be 60fps? Or should be able to? Or what is your point exactly.

Gudji

What excuses bud?

What are you trying to argue here exactly? Same question to you as to the poster above.

Do you think every game that comes out on these 'next gen systems' will be 60fps? Or should be able to? Or what is your point exactly.
I'm trying to argue that the game can run with a 60 FPS MODE on XSX and XSS. You literally have a DEV SAYING SO.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm trying to argue that the game can run with a 60 FPS MODE on XSX and XSS. You literally have a DEV SAYING SO.

It can, but it will fluctuate wildly. I'm not saying it can't do it, I'm saying it won't do it consistantly. And that lines up perfectly with what Todd has said. And that is the reason for the 30fps lock.

Last edited:

Gudji

It can, but it will fluctuate wildly. I'm not saying it can't do it, I'm saying it won't do it consistantly. And that lines up perfectly with what Todd has said. And that is the reason for the 30fps lock.
No it doesn't because Todd didn't say they were using a tailored 60 FPS mode to achieve constant 60 FPS. He just meant that the game was fluctuating as it is now and they decided to cap it a 30 FPS for that "creative vision".

MMaRsu

Banned
No it doesn't because Todd didn't say they were using a tailored 60 FPS mode to achieve constant 60 FPS. He just meant that the game was fluctuating as it is now and they decided to cap it a 30 FPS for that "creative vision".
What do you mean by the bolded?

The creative vision part is fulfilling the graphics, while maintaining good playability. A fluctuating FPS going between 60 - 30 is not good, nor is it playable in satisfying way.

So that is why they decided to lock it to 30, to keep the graphics high fidelity but also keeping a locked playable framerate.

Also bet on it that games like GTA6 will be 30fps only on consoles.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

So if I release a port of Tetris on a next gen console, its a next gen game?

Uhh yea

I dont even get why your trying to argue with me. Do you think every game that comes out on these 'next gen systems' will be 60fps? Or should be able to? Or what is your point exactly.
My point is that console games this gen should have the option for a proformance mode, and a new game coming out without one should be criticized for it.

Your argument seems to be, because PC' s exist, people shouldn't have an expectations when it comes to console games, and I disagree.

MMaRsu

Banned
My point is that console games this gen should have the option for a proformance mode, and a new game coming out without one should be criticized for it.

Your argument seems to be, because PC' s exist, people shouldn't have an expectations when it comes to console games, and I disagree.
No, my argument is as follows

Developers will always choose graphics over performance, in 90% of cases. Because graphics sell games.

Eventually, console games will always go back to the 30fps default, because of the above mentioned fact.

Should developers offer a performance mode? Ideally yes. Is it possible for every type of game? Yes and no.

Developers will want to have a certain creative vision, and they will not want to compromise too much on that vision. That means if GTA 6 comes out, they won't want to make it 60fps at 720p. Final Fantasy 16, a PS5 exclusive, already goes to 720p at 50fps in some spots in its Performance mode.

So a developer will probably choose for a locked, 30 fps, at a high resolution.

Do I agree with this? That doesnt matter it's the developers choice.
If you want a device that is always capable of delivering 60fps, my friends, just buy a PC and upgrade it over time.

Roxkis_ii

No, my argument is as follows

Developers will always choose graphics over performance, in 90% of cases. Because graphics sell games.

Wouldn't the fact that most console games have a proformance mode now deflate that argument?

Why would devs go though the trouble of adding a proformance mode if it doesn't help sell games...? Unless it does.

30 FPS is pretty much unplayable to me. I usually just wait until these games become yesterday’s news and then play them at 60+ frames years down the road when the hardware can actually handle it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wouldn't the fact that most console games have a proformance mode now deflate that argument?

Why would devs go though the trouble of adding a proformance mode if it doesn't help sell games...? Unless it does.
Perf mode def helps sell games, but in vastly lower amounts.

I have friends with a ps5 who didnt even know about some performance mode stuff

MMaRsu

Banned
Why did you buy a Windows Store version for? Mine is coming with a Steam code.
No I meant for the guy I quoted..

I preorder the premium edition for Steam yesterday :)

Oh that was you, I thought it said Windows so I assumed Windows store haha. My bad

Last edited:
It's not like 30fps is bad - and plenty of us were happy to play at 30 for the past 10-15 years - it's just that once you go black 60fps, you never go back.
For me, it was switching to an OLED TV. 30fps seems okay on an LED with motion blur, but on an OLED, you see every… single… frame.

120hz/40fps should be the standard. Does any Xbox game do this?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Cool, i hope it is reflected in their review scores.

Spoiler: they will completely end up ignoring the performance just like always.
They apparently totally rebuilt their engine, so I wonder how it performs. I did wonder at this:

“So we get into motion blur,” Howard explained. “It's just how the game feels smooth. Some other things that they do in id Tech that we wanted to bring over into Creation Engine 2, and they helped us do that, and it's great.”
I wonder if he's just talking about the look of things or if more was involved. id Software does better at basically everything when it comes to making things look good and run smooth at the same time. The old Creation Engine really sucks at data streaming and bogs down if you extend the draw distance even on a great machine. id Software has massively succeeded in the things Bethesda always struggled with.

Top Bottom