• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity Officially Announced: [New 9 Minute Strategy Video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I know you only had a few minutes with the build but did either of you get any idea of maximum size of cities compared to SC4? I've been hearing and seeing from the screenshots that the scale doesn't look nearly as big. That might be a bigger turn off for me than the always-online...\

Otherwise, I love the new graphics style. Seems to capture the SC charm as always.

My last SimCity game was 2000, but I got the feeling that cities will look somewhat smaller.
That said the level of simulation seems to be a lot higher, with much more things to consider and more customization options. For instance in the tutorial I played you had to had a garage to the dump because there weren't enough dump trucks to take care of all the trash.

PS: The tilt shift wasn't too noticeable in the build they had on display there. At least I don't remember it being very distracting.

My PC won't even come close to being able to handle this...

charlie-brown-walk.gif

I know you only had a few minutes with the build but did either of you get any idea of maximum size of cities compared to SC4? I've been hearing and seeing from the screenshots that the scale doesn't look nearly as big. That might be a bigger turn off for me than the always-online...\

Otherwise, I love the new graphics style. Seems to capture the SC charm as always.

You could zoom out quite a distance, and with the ability to make curved roads I would think you could span out on a fairly large area. Do I remember wrong or were SC4 cities smaller than SC3000's? I thought this game seemed larger than SC4.

Pandemic

New screen of ''MaxisMan, the masked savior of SimCity who is ONLY available if you pre-order the Limited Edition copy of the game''
704176_10151306823019866_435643811_o.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
New screen of ''MaxisMan, the masked savior of SimCity who is ONLY available if you pre-order the Limited Edition copy of the game''
704176_10151306823019866_435643811_o.jpg

No offense, but why would I care about something like that in a Sim City game? That's no incentive at all to order a limited edition, lol.

No offense, but why would I care about something like that in a Sim City game? That's no incentive at all to order a limited edition, lol.
Possibly acts as a more useful/cheaper alternative than a police station?

Or just something cosmetic to make your city more whimsical.

I'd rather have something like this be the pre-order bonus, than something substantial that people would feel like they missed out on.

I haven't bought a non-console game in a decade, so forgive my ignorance, but what are the chances my 2012 MacBook Air could run this?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't bought a non-console game in a decade, so forgive my ignorance, but what are the chances my 2012 MacBook Air could run this?
I'd like to know too, but I'm betting pretty slim. At least not at good enough settings, if the game has any.

Though who knows. We have HD 4000 chips. Let's hope they are popular enough to support.

mavs

Nostalgia, though nostalgia for a 20-year-old easter egg probably doesn't go very far.

Also the "limited edition" is the regular edition, but pre-ordered. The upgraded edition is the "deluxe edition."

Starting to get pessimistic about this game. EA bullshit looks on track to ruin it. Mod support needs to come through or else it's gonna be real disappointing for a few years.

Pandemic

NEW SCREENS
SimCity%20Panoramic%20copia.jpg

SimCity%20Intelligent%20Sims%20copia.jpg

SimCity%20Tier%201%20Stadium.jpg

Sims%20Ground%20Level%20copia.jpg

''The Evil Dr. Vu, the dastardly villain who is ONLY available if you pre-order the Limited Edition copy of the game''
704409_10151308240629866_489777689_o.jpg

Pandemic

The third screen looks pretty awesome, a lot of stuff happening which is good. The screen of the skyscrapers looks a little weird in detail though.

Nuklear

Banned
Anyone else think the WiiU would make a great port? All the info you can put on the gamepad plus laying out zones would be pretty easy with the stylus.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Looks really good. Also fuck pre-order exclusives. I refuse to fall for that shit. It's bad enough they're charging an outrageous price even for the download only version in 2013 for chrissakes. And making me use Origin on top of that even though it's the only game I will ever buy on Origin.

I just hope it works well on my Air. When I eventually get it. When it's cheaper. Which will probably be in a few years. At which point I will probably have a machine good enough to play it.

Pandemic

Few new screens,
''Check out this crime-fighting police helicopter!''
703515_10151309952444866_1615316548_o.jpg

''Here's a crime-invested data layer from our new video.''
703838_10151309954834866_465731550_o.jpg

Perkel

Banned
Anyone else think the WiiU would make a great port? All the info you can put on the gamepad plus laying out zones would be pretty easy with the stylus.

I doubt it Wii U will have power to run even half of SimCity5 especially since it's Ram dependent game. But yeah information would be fun with gamepad

Zia

Q: will I be able to buy this from Amazon, register it to Origin and then have it tied to my account as a downloadable? I have a bunch of Amazon credit, but no need for another box.

cbox

Those cities look really small :| There is much more to do within the city, but I was hoping for massive expansive cities like 4 had.

Oppo

I want the XCOM/SimCity Crossover pack, where aliens attack the city in SimCity management mode, and the game switches to XCOM tactical view for a battle.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Those cities look really small :| There is much more to do within the city, but I was hoping for massive expansive cities like 4 had.

Judging by the video raven777 posted above, you can control multiple cities at once, so even if one city won't look that big, I'm sure keeping track of four cities at once will be quite a bit of work.

cbox

Judging by the video raven777 posted above, you can control multiple cities at once, so even if one city won't look that big, I'm sure keeping track of four cities at once will be quite a bit of work.

Ah yes, didn't think of that.

Makoto

Green Man Gaming has a 35% off code (WINTR-SRVEY-42012) and you can use it on SimCity bringing the price down to 39.00 USD. The code is good until 1200 GMT Friday December 14th.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
always online = no buy/day 1 for me unfortunately.

maybe down the line when its a steam sale.

I'm very much looking forward to the game, but I'm not buying it or pre-ordering it until it's out and I've read some reviews. From what they've shown so far it looks fantastic, but the always online worries me to be honest. I know the graphics are good, but I want to make sure the game is good before I buy it.

Nuklear

Banned
I can easily see making a slum region and dumping all the pollution heavy stuff into that one region. I like the region stuff a lot but it might ruin the single player experience if you can just make a slum region and not be forced to deal with those problems that pollution and other negative effects.

Day 1 purchase for me. I can't get enough god games in my life.

dLMN8R

Remember that the Always Online requirement has been scaled back to only require online at the launch of a game. If you're on a plane, that doesn't help anything, but if you're simply worried about a somewhat-reliable connection that goes out frequently, you should be good.

Calidor

Green Man Gaming has a 35% off code (WINTR-SRVEY-42012) and you can use it on SimCity bringing the price down to 39.00 USD. The code is good until 1200 GMT Friday December 14th.

sweet deal, I'm really close to pull the trigger :S

EDIT: How can I add it to cart? I can't find the button anywhere

Teletraan1

Banned
The screens on this page are gross. That blur looks shitty. I want a crisp view of my city not some blurry bloomy mess. I could see if the buildings were super detailed but they look like shit. Which would be somewhat expected if you had to render a huge city.

But I don't play this game for the graphics and the game sounds ace. Also interesting to see them retract the always online shit. Hopefully the fallout from D3 lead to this decision as this was a no chance in hell buy from an EA game if I was supposed to rely on them to keep servers up for years and years.

That trailer also seems to imply you can choose to set if online warriors can go and set up shop in adjacent regions without asking for your permission first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom