• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity offline mode is FINALLY coming

Dryk

Probably already discussed...

But how would people feel about "timed" always online? So upfront, a publishers says a game will be always online for the first 6 months of release. After that, the requirement will be patched out.

Cynically, that is probably what has happened here (they can now drop all server support without the shitstorm). Is that acceptable?
I think ideally it shouldn't happen. But if a game MUST be always online it should be eventually patched out to enable better preservation and access. It would indeed be nice if they were upfront about the time-frame, but it's a large company so they would never do it.

While I didn't buy this game, as I saw the eventual trainwreck coming months before it was released, I feel making the engine "track the entire population simultaneously" was an ambitious and admirable goal, but ultimately, a naive and fatal decision. The sheer amount of computation required to model 100,000 individual "agents" realistically moving and interacting in a city or multiple cities is immense. I don't think making traffic patterns much more realistic is a trivial fix here. And if Maxis were able to do so with the current engine, then I believe the minimum RAM requirement would significantly jump.

And then to scale that up to much larger sized cities... ...I'm not sure if anyone here would have a PC to run that game... I don't think Maxis has a PC to make/test that game. I doubt modders are going to make the difference some people here think they will.

Basically, if you want a SimCity 4-like city simulator, I think Maxis and EA are going to have to scrap the current engine and start from square one. To me, I'd focus on regional transportation systems (networks of highways of varying sizes, light rail, heavy rail, etc.) as the big, new improved feature over SimCity 4 and model cities' populi more akin to SimCity 4 than SimSuburb.

I haven't played SimCity since the first week or two that it was released. My Origin account has like forty hours on it, but probably 20+ hours of that were at the login dialogue waiting for the servers to function. It was fun at first, but unfortunately the simulation breaks down pretty quickly. The illusion was dispelled much less quickly in SimCity 4. I don't even mind the city size limitations or the online requirement, just the roaming mob of students and workers that go trick-or-treating from house-to-house in the evening, its effects on traffic simulation, and how everything was so easy and meaningless. I think these shortcomings are fixable, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jomjom

Banned
You spoke. We listened*

This seems to be the go-to line for lots of companies these days.

It would be refreshing, but unrealistic to hear someone tell the truth for once: "Our ideas sucked. You hated it. Our present and/or future sales will suffer. We changed it to try to salvage what's left of any consumer goodwill."

I was given simcity for free by a good friend. I haven't played it, just hoping for the day that it'll get an offline mode. I'll play it when it gets released now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, I'll probably end up checking this out now.

Have you not read any of this thread? Do you hate your money that much that you would waste it so? Spend your hard earned cash on games that deserve to be supported, games that are good. At least wait until either EA or modders FIX the game, wait until then to buy Simcity.

Unless you really just love buying crappy games.

inky

It would be refreshing, but unrealistic to hear someone tell the truth for once: "Our ideas sucked. You hated it. Our present and/or future sales will suffer. We changed it to try to salvage what's left of any consumer goodwill."

But that's 146 characters and doesn't fit on a tweet. That's probably why they went with the other one.

Sharp

Now fix the rest of the game and I might buy it. How this game turned out was one of the greatest gaming-related disappointments I've had in recent years.

Gies was wrong when offline mode was hacked into the game not long after release.

I believe the offline mode was hacked in less than a week after he made his famous tweet. Now, he just says "that was a year ago, eh OK" or whatever.

I guess nobody should ever be held accountable. Gies works for Polygon, who was supposed to do everything different. Just watch their stupid making of, promotional video that they filmed when they were getting started. They wanted to change things.

Polygon's big things was this fluid review system. If things within a game change over time, they would change the score, both positively and negatively. Yet when things change over time, things that have to do with Arthur and his public statements, you get "why is a tweet from almost a year ago getting retweete- OH OK." as a response.

I want to feel sorry for him, he just comes off so immature. He has this image of himself, that is totally out of line with the image he is constantly projecting towards others. It is kinda sad, especially for a professional whose job puts him square in the eye of the public. He should be held accountable, and I am sure you could find a ton of his stories, tweets, and podcasts where he is trying to hold others accountable for what they have done in the past as well.

lol, I love how EA puts an emphasis on "it's free!" like they just can't contain their benevolence.

Get fucked.

Looking forward to Banished next month.

gocubs

To little to late EA unless your going to do something about the small ass cities. I will stick with Sim City 4.

Why are posts from almost a page ago getting requot - OH OK.

Guys this is getting too meta now

This thread, I hope some EA drone is reading this topic and wondering why people are more interested in embarrassing Gies than in their stupid game:D

edit daaaaamn @ the suggestion that they dropped the DRM so that they can shut down the servers down the line
shiiiiiit I didn't even think about that
I bet that is in fact it
I can't wait to revisit this thread in a year when the online functions of sim city are taken down

Ranger X

Great news. Seriously. There's now a chance that I buy this and I always am getting wet by imagining the "big cities" mod that will probably happen some 2 months after. (Modders always better and faster!)

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The game had so many problems, the city size is just a minor one. =/

All the modding that they need to fix the game, it will be a long time until SimCity is finally playable. Just stick with Simcity 4 + mod for the mean time.

zBslbQK.gif

rav

I have SimCity 4, but didn't realize there were mods for it, I will investigate this before considering buying SimCity 2013.

KaYotiX

Banned
Simcity 4 still run like ass? Played it a year ago and it gets horrible after awhile. I have a pc that can run alot of games on max. Id rather play 4 still

neorej

ERMYGERD!
EA and MS are using the same Cloud-technology; you can't unhook from it, untill enough potential consumers tell you they won't buy into that always online bullshit, no matter how many Clouds you throw at them, then all of a sudden a Magician developer arises and inserts 2 lines of code makes the Cloud optional.

I can only forgive them if they release a legitimate SimCity 5 that builds off of SC4 the right way. As absurd as it is to say for this kind of franchise, this game is not canon and I will pretend it never happened.

Zakalwe

Banned
Well he's not wrong. He never said that it couldn't technically be done. There was red tape in place that you'd only really know about if you worked maxis.

Technically he didn't say anything wrong, you could argue this really well especially if you get really pedantic about definitions.

The thing is, talented programmers and people who know how these things work exist outside of EA, and ever since the insistence that it "couldn't be done" some of these people have been wracking their brains to understand how that could be true.

The kick will be when this tweet occurred and how much information had been mined at the time. Even so, the claim always seemed like one that was covering tracks rather than being honest. Par for the course with EA.

Nessus

Anyone who is familiar with the updates they've released since launch:

Do the Sims actually have assigned homes yet, or do they still just go back to the nearest available at the end of the day regardless of whether or not it was the one they started with?

Do the Sims actually have assigned homes yet, or do they still just go back to the nearest available at the end of the day regardless of whether or not it was the one they started with?

They have assigned homes.

Oh boy, finally getting the offline mode we knew was possible despite EA's BS. People in charge of that mess being promoted just goes to show that "failing upward" isn't just for politicians anymore.

Amazing that since the SimCity debacle they've kept themselves right on track to three peat for the Consumerist's Worst Company In America award.

BpXsTDa.jpg

Just in case people somehow think this news makes the game worth playing.

*Saves for future reference.*

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Do the Sims actually have assigned homes yet
, or do they still just go back to the nearest available at the end of the day regardless of whether or not it was the one they started with?
Nope.

The no specific job or home is still part of the simulation, but they have slightly better routing and pathing since launch.

Madchad

I think this is just EAs way of shifting everything wrong with the game onto the modders to fix / play with and moving maxis onto the next big thing while adding the odd fair ground ride to the game via DLC.

Myzer

the sims do come from specific houses and go to specific jobs...I have witnessed this myself. Am I wrong here?

Only for that 'day' I believe. The sim will have a home, go to a job, but then might go to a different home after that job, and then go to a diffferent job on the next day. It just finds what ever is closest when it moves from 'job' to 'home'

Top Bottom