• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Renmyra

Anyone got an open spot in a region with more than 2 players? I've yet to try out the game with more active players than myself.

Fixed1979

So pissed off right now. I had a pretty good Coal town going, I went to upgrade my mining HQ and picked the smelting add-on by accident. Since I picked it as my upgrade I can't build either of the other two options until I upgrade again, and there's no way I'm going to hit the next upgrade level for the building without one of those two options. I don't even know what to do, I think the city is just fucked now. I just quit, going for a drive.

Ember128

So pissed off right now. I had a pretty good Coal town going, I went to upgrade my mining HQ and picked the smelting add-on by accident. Since I picked it as my upgrade I can't build either of the other two options until I upgrade again, and there's no way I'm going to hit the next upgrade level for the building without one of those two options. I don't even know what to do, I think the city is just fucked now. I just quit, going for a drive.

If you select the building I think you can bulldoze the individual add-ons.

TylerD

I have just been watching some streams. Looks like a really good game and will be pretty special once everything is working right.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If you select the building I think you can bulldoze the individual add-ons.

Yep, you can. But not sure if that works for HQ-addons too, since those give regional benefits that don't go away... so I think for those there might not be a return :/

Mazdarati

Neo Member
It's such a pretty game when it's working.
Caught a few pics of my city during a sunrise:
0pBTDCb.jpg

diAnXA8.jpg

SnoqCTn.jpg

Fixed1979

You can, but he meant, he was to pick an upgrade he earned and picked the wrong one. Even if he bulldozes it, he can't progress to upgrade again without some serious effort.

Yeah, sorry wasn't totally clear I guess. I think the first upgrade was like 200,000, the second is 700,000...a long way to go without actually getting a worthwhile improvement.

It's such a pretty game when it's working.
Caught a few pics of my city during a sunrise:

Great shots!

fanboi

Banned
Still on the fence of this game.

How does it work "mmo" aspect? Since the biggest dissapointment is the small city limit, but how does it work with regions close by? Does it feel small?

Hip Hop

Yo guys,

are all the city lots the same size?

They seem incredibly small, I can't see how I'll get to 100,000 people.

I can barely crack 15,000 and it takes so long to get there, they don't build skycrapers.

I'm doing something wrong huh?

Processors and computers are OP. I got to the point where I turned all my taxes off, was losing $86k per hour, and yet I was still churning out about $1 million per day from selling them to the global market. And I never ran out of supply because I was buying plastic and alloys from the global market, not getting them from natural resources. Got kind of boring after a while because nothing could go really wrong at that point.

Yo guys,

I can barely crack 15,000 and it takes so long to get there, they don't build skycrapers.

no, not all cities are the same size.
in one of my cities, i have 275,000. and i've plotted buildings in roughly 80% of my land.
i can easily reach 400,000.
road density has a direct correlation to how huge your buildings will be.

golem

Yo guys,

Im just short of 200k right now :/

I have 64 recycling trucks right now operating out of 4 recycling centers and they're still not picking up enough of the total amount of bins

I have no idea what i'm supposed to do about this. I'm making good money off the exporting but the city keeps complaining about trash piling up

SimCity &#8207;@simcity
Tomorrow Head of Maxis Lucy Bradshaw will be doing a Twitter takeover from 12-1245pm PST answering your questions. Tweet ?'s to #SimCity.

SimCity &#8207;@simcity
We've just added 3 new servers: EU East 4, NA East 4, and EU West 6. Now's the time to get in and start a new city!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521427

Free game for everyone who bought SimCity.

Now... not sure if this applies to everyone or only people who bought it on Origin... but I strongly hope everyone.

Wow, I'll be curious to see how that's received. "We're not giving you your money back, but you can have a copy of another game that sells for the same price" - that's something that doesn't carry any additional cost for EA, just the opportunity cost of a future sale (which the player might not have gotten anyway).

"On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game."

That wording makes it sound like it'll apply to everyone who has the game activated on their origin account at that time, regardless of where they got it.

How are people taking screen shots of their city at ground level?!?!? All i see for screen camera shortcuts are zoom in and out and rotate?

Is it stressful to play? In terms of resources always running out and you needing to build other cities quickly? Or can you just chill and build away?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Is it stressful to play? In terms of resources always running out and you needing to build other cities quickly? Or can you just chill and build away?

So far, I've heard that it's much easier to stay profitable compared to earlier games. Late game, water becomes a problem, but you can get around that with treatment plants pumping it back into the ground. (that's some top notch troll science right there)

So far, I've heard that it's much easier to stay profitable compared to earlier games. Late game, water becomes a problem, but you can get around that with treatment plants pumping it back into the ground. (that's some top notch troll science right there)

As far as energy goes, i have already realized that if you go from Coal/Oil to Nuclear > Solar you are set for life, of course Solar takes a lot of room to generate sufficient electricity but i get the point of having to upgrade your utilities as you progress, much like how people are concerned we will run out of fossil fuels in the real world.

Raide

Really depends on your need to always expand. I found it nice to just watch for a while and see the city change. They will always have a demand for pretty much everything but you certainly don't need to jump hoops for your Sims every time they ask.

Also, does planting trees do anything or is it cosmetic?

SpaceHobo

Banned
I have 64 recycling trucks right now operating out of 4 recycling centers and they're still not picking up enough of the total amount of bins

I have no idea what i'm supposed to do about this. I'm making good money off the exporting but the city keeps complaining about trash piling up

Poor people and the poorly educated wont recycle. You need normal dumps as well.

Raide

Helps with Pollution.

Ahhh, so filling my cities with them was not in vain!!

Thanks!

Another one, one you have a College and Uni, do you actually need the other schools? Not sure if they have Sim kids that need to go through all the schools before they graduate. :D

Smiley90

Wow, I'll be curious to see how that's received. "We're not giving you your money back, but you can have a copy of another game that sells for the same price" - that's something that doesn't carry any additional cost for EA, just the opportunity cost of a future sale (which the player might not have gotten anyway).

"On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game."

That wording makes it sound like it'll apply to everyone who has the game activated on their origin account at that time, regardless of where they got it.

I'm pretty sure it won't be a game of the same price. It'll be sth older and cheaper :p

sdornan

Just gone done playing the game for the last 5 hours without any problems. It sucks that this launch was handled so poorly because under it all is an extremely addictive, fun, well-designed game. Other than the small city size, I have no real complaints about the game itself. It does a great job of hiding a huge amount of complexity in an intuitive, easy-to-play package. I'd love to see what else they can build with this engine - a better Sim Theme Park?

Smiley90

Aaaand servers are still not working for me. Start up the game, get into main menu, "Unable to connect to server". Still. juuuust great.

Holy shit, the game is working, the 7 city gaf region we started earlier is going strong, amazing what happens when a region is full

HT UK

Anyone know how to get their city out of the "Unable to load the city at this time" state?

My city has been like this since yesterday :/

Friends in the region can visit the city. But on the map it just appears empty.

Pandemic

Gah, I'm trying to build my own region, yet I can't even change to another city, I click claim city but nothing happens... :/

Top Bottom