• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity removed from Virtual Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Best version of Sim City lost to the ether. As always, physical media for life.

Good news! It's been physical as fuck this entire time!

snes-sim-city-cart.jpg

I just don't get it. What happened to the Virtual Console? How did they screw it up so badly? I would have thought that the cost of maintaining it and adding more games would be relatively trivial, but it's been all but abandoned for years and now it's sliding backwards.

Of course it's trivial. Why do you think this happens?

Good news! It's been physical as fuck this entire time!

snes-sim-city-cart.jpg

Of course it's trivial. Why do you think this happens?

Good man. I have my copy as well. As a new Vita owner, I've been conflicted lately. So many retail games have been super cheap on PSN. I'm actually tempted to reverse double-dip and buy retail copies of digital games I own.

The way Nintendo has treated the VC games across platforms has ensured I will keep my digital purchases from them down to a minimum from now on.

Eusis

Doubt that this is the case ... they make emulators specificaly for each game ...

But yes, Yoshi Island and DK64 are really strange omissions
While thinking third party emulators not being able to run it means first part emulators can't either is wrong, Yoshi's Island is simple: they seemingly have yet to get the Super FX chip emulated, nevermind the upgraded version. You think Yoshi's Island not being there is a strange omission, but shouldn't Star Fox be equally so?

Jackano

Unprecedented partnership!

Count me on board with the virtual console management moaners.
I understand compiling ROMs and emulators for each systems could be bothering, but come on, people have been doing this on internet since ages so Nintendo developers should be able to do it too.

We will still need fully downloadables VC games on handheld, but I think the future for home consoles VC is in streaming/renting.

Also, I have this idea of buying 10 years tickets for a particular VC game, instead of buying the game tied to a particular system. No point to buy TLoZ on Wii and tranfering it to Wii U, and re-buying it (well, no, I got it with ambassador) on 3DS. Should have buy a 10 years ticket in 2006, and got the game freely on each system since. I don't know if this is a viale market plan ^^

Eusis

Good man. I have my copy as well. As a new Vita owner, I've been conflicted lately. So many retail games have been super cheap on PSN. I'm actually tempted to reverse double-dip and buy retail copies of digital games I own.
I forgot to address this last time, but actually all three have been good about honoring your purchases if things are pulled. I think the only exception is, uhh, Yaris, and 1. that was free, and 2. infamously one of the worst games ever made. So long as we're not hearing news of XBL/PSN/Wii's stores shutting down we should be fine, or at least if the reason something pulled wasn't due to a lawsuit or whatever (we'll see what happens with Too Human, but it does look like Dennis Dyack is dragging his feet on that recall).

Of course, I guess you can never be too safe, though at least for Vita I'd be more worried about the system lasting a long time than the services.

The Hermit

I hope that they are silently killing Wii VC and WiiWare, so most or even all those games become availible on eShop.

I still am waiting for an integration of the eShop on both WiiU and 3DS, that would be perfect.

Somnid

I hope that they are silently killing Wii VC and WiiWare, so most or even all those games become availible on eShop.

I still am waiting for an integration of the eShop on both WiiU and 3DS, that would be perfect.

No reason to kill them. Especially something as old as this. Wii U VC probably has it's own licensing to work out and I would not expect this to be renewed on Wii.

I'm glad I got all the (to me) important games already from the Virtual Console.
I know I have SimCity, DKC 2 and DKC3, still sleeping on my Wii.
SimCity I also have in cartridge form, but it's way more convenient to have all the games on a single storage.
Sad to see it go.

Pirates seem to be the winner once again :\

Mael

Remember when the VC was supposed to be the cornucopia of retro gaming?
Those were the times...

I'm still wondering why for nearly everything online pirates seem to get the better deal even without factoring the price issue...
I'd better make my remaining purchases quick (FFVI, BOF2) or I guess I'll miss on them forever...

Ranger X

I just don't get it. What happened to the Virtual Console? How did they screw it up so badly? I would have thought that the cost of maintaining it and adding more games would be relatively trivial, but it's been all but abandoned for years and now it's sliding backwards.

Nintendo killed it like a dead born. Not enough updates that did lead people into not checking and not buying. Then the updates became more scarce because of the non-sales. Vicious circle of death. Tks Nintendo!

Pociask

Nintendo killed it like a dead born. Not enough updates that did lead people into not checking and not buying. Then the updates became more scarce because of the non-sales. Vicious circle of death. Tks Nintendo!

No updates, no communication to general public about the Virtual Console (why not drop a letter with WiiConnect to a message board?), no sales, no show that Virtual Console was even important to Nintendo after the launch of the Wii. In North America, you also dealt with the fact that they have like one or two dudes whose job it is to bring over everything done in Japan, WiiWare and Virtual Console, and so they were extremely lagging even what was already released in NCL. Did I mention how overpriced many of the games are, in an era of 99 cent and free apps, while meanwhile, on Virtual Console, they were still charging five bucks for NES Golf?

Quick edit: Man I would kill to see a Virtual Console licensing contract.

So...

...what if Nintendo had inside information on the new Sim City prior to release and somehow predicted what a massive disaster it would be? Which would mean Nintendo removed Sim City SNES from the VC so that they wouldn't risk having a product associated with the most fucked-up release this generation?

(...it's all coming together...)

Persona7

Banned
So...

...what if Nintendo had inside information on the new Sim City prior to release and somehow predicted what a massive disaster it would be? Which would mean Nintendo removed Sim City SNES from the VC so that they wouldn't risk having a product associated with the most fucked-up release this generation?

Really?

Come on now.

Omikaru

So...

If Nintendo were that prescient, they would've seen how poorly the Wii U was going to do in its first few months and taken steps to rectify it.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
So...

I wish I could slap you.

Eusis

So...

If they were that on the nose about things then the Wii U and 3DS launches would've gone way smoother, not unless they had a grander plan.

Plus if GOG's any indication they'd have only gotten more sales from people angry about the new one or who just want to play it now since a new game came out (especially as they can't play that one.)

pswii60

So...

What other conspiracy theories have you got lined up for us?

SMD

So...

0193_wlqq6.gif

So...

m-night-shyamalan_1334621413.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom