• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
Well, looks like no update for today. I'll be away for a week as of tomorrow and mightn't have internet access, but I'm sure someone else will post the release list for me. Here's hoping it's Queen and a good song pack.

I'll take up the mantle. '.'b

game-boi said:
Does anyone know an online retailer that will ship Singstar Queen to the US? I've tried hitting up the usual suspects (amazon, ncsx, play-asia, etc.), but no one will ship to the states.

...little help?

I used http://www.cdwow.com.au/ , as per suggestion by Tntnnbltn, that's where I got my SingStar Vol. 3 PAL (I'm in Canada btw).

MadFuzzy

Look like tomorrow's Singstore update is delayed according to the Facebook group:

Singstar Facebook group said:
Unfortunately tomorrow's SingStore update has been delayed due to some technical issues. We are woking hard here at PlayStation Towers to make the update available ASAP, and will keep you posted on the progress.

The last time we had a delay caused by "technical issues" was when they added the Britney songpack, so perhaps it's about waiting for the thumbs up for the release of a songpack rather than anything technical.

MadFuzzy

Apparently this is the list (note the lack of a Songpack, which might be the hold up):

English:

Anouk - Sacrifice
Aretha Franklin - Say A Little Prayer
The Bangles - Eternal Flame
Di-rect - A Good Thing
Delorentos : Do You Realise
Delorentos - The Rules
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love
George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag
Kings of Convenience - I'd Rather Dance With You
Kylie Minogue - Better The Devil You Know
Kylie Minogue And Jason Donovan - Especially For You
Lily Allen - The Fear
Little Richard - Tutti Frutti
Montgomery Gentry - What Do Ya Think About That?
Princess - Say I'm Your Number 1
The Reynolds Girls - I'd Rather Jack
Sara Barailles - Love Song
Sara Evans - Born To Fly
Sonia - You'll Never Stop Me Loving You
The View - Shock Horror
Westlife - If I Let You Go
Whitney Houston - It's Not Right But It's OK
Will Young - Leave Right Now

French:

Céline Dion et Garou - Sous le Vent
Renaud - Mistral Gagnant
Jean Pierre Francois - Je Te Survivrai
Sinclair - A Chaque Seconde

Gaelic:

Delorentos - Basis Of Everything

Swedish:

Herrey's - Diggi-Loo, Diggi-Ley

agm2502

People are gonna bitch about the lack of Queen songs but otherwise a really good update. These updates are gradually getting better and better.

glaurung

agm2502 said:
People are gonna bitch about the lack of Queen songs but otherwise a really good update. These updates are gradually getting better and better.

Ya, but SCEE really needs to get off its arse and release some pre-paid scratch cards that work all over Europe.

So far I have had to buy all PSN games from the US store, because PSN does not recognize my country and therefore my VISA is not recognized because I have registered under a bogus UK address.

MadFuzzy said:
Kylie Minogue - Better The Devil You Know
Kylie Minogue And Jason Donovan - Especially For You
Princess - Say I'm Your Number 1
The Reynolds Girls - I'd Rather Jack
Sonia - You'll Never Stop Me Loving You

Fucking yes. Stock/Aitken/Waterman fans, celebrate.

I'll also be picking up Lily Allen's The Fear,

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
only care about the bangles (but boy do I care!).... but before I get too excited, can someone tell me who the US publisher is for them/that?

MadFuzzy

borghe said:
only care about the bangles (but boy do I care!).... but before I get too excited, can someone tell me who the US publisher is for them/that?

iTunes seems to think it's Sony BMG so you might be in luck.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I'm glad I didn't buy that song pack to get the Bangles Eternal Flame. Held out for the single and was rewarded. I'm happy with this update. I haven't bought a Singstar song in a while.

MadFuzzy said:

Well this is a very interesting article, thanks for the read.

I do wonder if the song licensing is more than just getting clearance from the label, for instance, and I might be wrong here, but I think Sony/ATV, a music publishing, owns a shitload of Beatles songs and the Record Labels Apple Records or EMI, so to get those songs you would have to have clearance from both companies I would think (along with writes, singers, etc), thus that's why it takes so dam long. Does this sound about right or am I off here?

Also this part of the article was interesting:

One feature we would all like to see, though, isn't really up to Ranyard and his colleagues at Sony, and that's only having to buy a song you like once. At the moment, anyone who fancies a bit of "Mr. Brightside" in SingStar and Rock Band has to fork out twice, and again if they want it on CD (although you know, it's a bit old now - buy Day & Age instead). Are we ever going to get to a point where it's just one, sensible price for an all-access pace?

If the PSN Music and Music Video store is really coming than this would be a great idea, for example, a song I really like is $1.49 on Singstore, $.99 DRM free MP3 on Music Store and $1.99 HD Music Video (The last two is the model and price from itunes I believe), so they should have buy MP3 + Music video or MP3 + Singstore song or Music Video + Singstore Song and get 10% off and if you buy all 3 get 15 or 20% off. I'm sure this could be successful.

Also I would like to say that a rigid price model sucks and it would be better if it was flexible, some songs are not worth $1.49 but would probably be worth $.99

MadFuzzy

AranhaHunter said:
I do wonder if the song licensing is more than just getting clearance from the label, for instance, and I might be wrong here, but I think Sony/ATV, a music publishing, owns a shitload of Beatles songs and the Record Labels Apple Records or EMI, so to get those songs you would have to have clearance from both companies I would think (along with writes, singers, etc), thus that's why it takes so dam long. Does this sound about right or am I off here?

They have to clear the actual music itself, the artist's performance, the lyrics and the video for each song they want to put on the store.

Each element requires licensing seperately and there can be multiple people involved who need to clear each of them (especially for things like lyrics where songs are written by several people).

All it takes is for one person (or rights owner) in one part of the process to say "no" and the song can't be licensed. This may be why they sometimes choose to license covers rather than the original version of the song.

For example they have "Easy" by Faith No More on the store rather than the Commodores version due to the fact that UMG own the rights to the Commodores performance, but not the music and lyrics.

Blahburn said:
is there a date for the trophy update?

Not yet, but Singstar Pop is meant to be out on 24th April, so I imagine it'll be around then.

Baha

I'm picking up the Singstar bundle with mics tomorrow (Canadians, it's on sale for $30 @ EB starting friday) and was wondering if a date for Singstar Queen has been announced for NA? Also, which ps2 singstar packs should I check out? I picked up Amped on Sunday.

lupinko

Baha said:
I'm picking up the Singstar bundle with mics tomorrow (Canadians, it's on sale for $30 @ EB starting friday) and was wondering if a date for Singstar Queen has been announced for NA? Also, which ps2 singstar packs should I check out? I picked up Amped on Sunday.

Only SingStar Queen that has been announced for North America is SingStar Queen for PS2 and that is now slated for Fall 2009.

You are better off importing the PAL PS3 SingStar Queen from either the UK or Australia (I recommend the latter).

agm2502

From Jeaxvideo.com

Sony annonce une mise à jour prochaine destinée aux moutures PS3 de Singstar. Le jeu passera alors en version 3.01. Concrètement, cela signifiera l'arrivée des trophées, ainsi qu'un nouveau look pour My SingStar Online. Ce patch arrivera le 16 avril, journée au cours de laquelle le SingStore et My SingStar Online seront inaccessibles durant 8 heures environ, le temps de mettre les nouveautés en place. Une seconde mise à jour arrivera le 22 avril pour introduire la fonctionnalité Voice Control. Elle permettra de sélectionner une chanson en disant son nom dans le micro, tout simplement ! Ce système sera d'ailleurs inclus dans le prochain volet de la série, Singstar Pop Edition, comme le montre l'image ci-contre

Translated:

Sony announces one updated next intend for the grindings PS3 of Singstar. The game will pass then in version 3,01. Concretely, that will mean the trophy arrival, as well as a new look for My SingStar Online. This patch will arrive April 16, day during which the SingStore and My SingStar Online will be inaccessible during 8 hours about, the time to put the novelties in place. A second updated will arrive April 22 to introduce functionality Voice Control. She will allow selecting a song while saying his name in the microphone, all simply! This system will be besides include in the next shutter of the series, Pop Singstar Edition, as the watch the picture opposite.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2009/00033229-singstar-se-met-a-jour-sur-ps3.htm

Baha

Quick question about disc swapping in Singstar. If I own the US version of Singstar PS3 and import Singstar Queen Euro version, will I be able to disc swap between them since they're region-free? Also, are there any Daryl Hall & Oates on the store?

agm2502

Baha said:
Quick question about disc swapping in Singstar. If I own the US version of Singstar PS3 and import Singstar Queen Euro version, will I be able to disc swap between them since they're region-free? Also, are there any Daryl Hall & Oates on the store?

As long as they are both PS3 versions then it shouldn't matter, there are no Daryl Hall & Oates on the store.

lupinko

Wait for all you license informed people, can someone explain how Delta Goodrem works on the SingStore? Apparently while she is under Sony for the rest of the world, for North America she is under a UMG label, yet her song Born to Try is also on the NA store. =S

I want more of her music on the SingStore. =/

Tntnnbltn

lupinko said:
Wait for all you license informed people, can someone explain how Delta Goodrem works on the SingStore? Apparently while she is under Sony for the rest of the world, for North America she is under a UMG label, yet her song Born to Try is also on the NA store. =S

I want more of her music on the SingStore. =/
I've looked into this before. I think Goodrem only signed with Mercury Records in the US for her third album. Stuff from the first two albums (Innocent Eyes, Mistaken Identity) should be fine. But if "You Will Only Break My Heart" (SingStar Party Hits PS2) was released on the store, it'd probably be another case of PAL only.

Survey went out to (some?) PSN users. Just got mine and filled it out. I really hope they actually do something with this series because it's freaking embarrassing seeing LiPS or w/e have Sony Music artists and all the latest biggest hits while we're stuck with ancient songs(Good or bad). It's ridiculous and should have frequent updates like RB or GH.

Tntnnbltn

CrushDance said:
Survey went out to (some?) PSN users. Just got mine and filled it out. I really hope they actually do something with this series because it's freaking embarrassing seeing LiPS or w/e have Sony Music artists and all the latest biggest hits while we're stuck with ancient songs(Good or bad). It's ridiculous and should have frequent updates like RB or GH.
I never received one. :-/ What types of questions did they ask?

I think that they are definitely trying out different release strategies at the moment. Not only with the song packs, but also the general composition of the last few updates. Each of the recent updates have contained a high-charting recent release (e.g. The Fray, Leona Lewis, Lily Allen*). I hope that they keep them coming.

(* Coincidentally enough, those three artists are all with SME. They could be on good terms with them at the moment. Although I guess with only EMI and SME being the only big labels pumping out tracks, it's not that strange)

CrushDance said:
Actually, Sony Music artists and other things were appearing on the XBL Video Market Place (and not PSN Video Store). Even with Sony Ericsson cell phones, they weren't getting Sony music at one point. It just comes down to all of Sony's divisions operate separately. SCE trying to license music from SME is no easier than MS trying to license the music from them for Lips. It just comes down to them wanting money, and what helps Lips is the higher initial pricing, along with variable price structure (which many big music labels want).

gantz85

Banned
BoilersFan23 said:
Actually, Sony Music artists and other things were appearing on the XBL Video Market Place (and not PSN Video Store). Even with Sony Ericsson cell phones, they weren't getting Sony music at one point. It just comes down to all of Sony's divisions operate separately. SCE trying to license music from SME is no easier than MS trying to license the music from them for Lips. It just comes down to them wanting money, and what helps Lips is the higher initial pricing, along with variable price structure (which many big music labels want).

This .

Sony's various arms operate basically like separate companies, so Sony Pictures, Sony Ericsson, Sony Music (BMG), Sony Playstation and all various other arms are all separate. There is also some history of one branch of Sony suing another branch, because they simply act independently as if they were separate entities.

This is slowly changing under Stringer; Sony SHOULD leverage its strength as a media conglomerate but it's not doing it well enough if at all.

Tntnnbltn

Still, SCE Aus/NZ were able to release music videos from Australian SBME artists for free on PSN. How hard could it be to release those same artists as a priced download for SingStar?

Perhaps as well as licnesing issues there's a physical limit to how many songs they can churn out there. I wonder how large the SingStar team actually is? For a series so large, it might have an incredibly small team.

lupinko

Baha said:
Ok looking at the FAQ on that site they only mention the USA under delivery. Where exactly can I check their shipping rates to Canada?

Shipping was free when I used it, they ship via regular post (so Canada Post on our end) from their warehouse in Hong Kong.

But yes, still an Australian company.

Baha

lupinko said:
Shipping was free when I used it, they ship via regular post (so Canada Post on our end) from their warehouse in Hong Kong.

But yes, still an Australian company.

Awesome, I'll use this when I import the game then.

lupinko

gantz85 said:
This .

Sony's various arms operate basically like separate companies, so Sony Pictures, Sony Ericsson, Sony Music (BMG), Sony Playstation and all various other arms are all separate. There is also some history of one branch of Sony suing another branch, because they simply act independently as if they were separate entities.

This is slowly changing under Stringer; Sony SHOULD leverage its strength as a media conglomerate but it's not doing it well enough if at all.

Hey, tell me about it, Sony even has its Music divisions split up as two separate and unique companies in Sony Music Entertainment Inc and Sony Music Associated Records Inc (Sony Music Japan). When SME bought out BMG's stake in SonyBMG, SMA bought BMG Japan from SME. :lol

G Rom said:
A SingStore's Hall Of Fame Walkthrough to show how fun the game can be.

LOL at some of those videos.

BoilersFan23 said:
Actually, Sony Music artists and other things were appearing on the XBL Video Market Place (and not PSN Video Store).

What video? There's no Sony movies or TV Shows on XBL marketplace

Even with Sony Ericsson cell phones, they weren't getting Sony music at one point. It just comes down to all of Sony's divisions operate separately. SCE trying to license music from SME is no easier than MS trying to license the music from them for Lips. It just comes down to them wanting money, and what helps Lips is the higher initial pricing, along with variable price structure (which many big music labels want).

Yes, variable price structure FTW, it's variable on PSN Games and PSN Videos, so what the hell? it will also be interesting if they can bundle singstore songs with MP3s and Music videos like I mentioned above for a little cheaper price. I do disagree that the Lips higher initial pricing helped them based on that leaked NPD numbers for it.

gantz85 said:

When did one branch sue the other? Got a link? I would like to read more on that.

Also, I touched on this earlier, Stringer IS changing it, but it'll take awhile, as you can see Sony movies and tv shows are not on XBL (they are on itunes though and I pressume because the revenue from itunes is significantly higher than on PSN). Sony just bought BMG, at that time the deal with Lips might've already been made. Sony now has more leverage over where their songs go, but the music industry is not the healthiest out there so they might still license those songs for Lips online store or Lips 2.

lupinko said:
Hey, tell me about it, Sony even has its Music divisions split up as two separate and unique companies in Sony Music Entertainment Inc and Sony Music Associated Records Inc (Sony Music Japan). When SME bought out BMG's stake in SonyBMG, SMA bought BMG Japan from SME. :lol

Lol yeah I presume it's because of the Sony BMG merger, SMEJ has a higher marketshare of jpop music than SME has of international music, so Sony didn't want that to be part of the merger. There's also Sony/ATV music publishing business that's completely separate from SME.

I saw the survey and it is bullshit, not enough options and doesn't give us a comment box, I doubt they'll even look at it.

lupinko

About the Sony/ATV thing, wow I didn't know Sony was co-owner with Jacko on the Beatles' catalog. :lol :lol :lol

Okay, I stand corrected, Sony has THREE separate and unique music companies. :lol :lol :lol

Oh man, the clusterfuck conglomerate Sorny is. :lol :lol :lol

AranhaHunter said:
What video? There's no Sony movies or TV Shows on XBL marketplace
I was talking about music videos on XBL Video Marketplace, not TV shows or movies.

Yes, variable price structure FTW, it's variable on PSN Games and PSN Videos, so what the hell? it will also be interesting if they can bundle singstore songs with MP3s and Music videos like I mentioned above for a little cheaper price. I do disagree that the Lips higher initial pricing helped them based on that leaked NPD numbers for it.
I'm not saying helped Lips sell more, I mean get more popular artists that some SingStar fans really want, to bring music to Lips (mostly UMG artists like Rhinna and such). UMG, like I stated earlier in this thread, was one of the big companies threatening to pull music from iTunes if they didn't adopt to a variable price structure and such. I wouldn't be surprised if even some Sony artists (especially the current hits) want a higher share (and don't want their music being priced the same as either no name artists or older songs).

Tntnnbltn

This was also posted at Eurogamer last week...
Sony also offered a glimpse into the popularity of downloadable content, revealing that total downloads for the week ending 3rd April were over 10,000.

Here's the UK's top ten SingStar downloads for last week:

1. Leona Lewis - "Run"
2. Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"
3. The Ting Tings - "That's Not My Name"
4. Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris - "Dance Wiv Me"
5. Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby" [seriously? - Ed]
6. Billy Joel - "Tell Her About It"
7. Phyllis Nelson - "Move Closer"
8. Outkast - "Roses"
9. Elvis Presley - "Suspicious Minds"
10. P!nk - "Just Like A Pill"

10,000 songs = US$15,000 or £10,000 revenue per week (going by pricing in each region).

Also interesting to note what songs were in the top 10. I cross-referenced them by UK release date...

Code:
 1. Leona Lewis - "Run"                                    12 Mar 2009
 2. Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"                    SINGLE: 26 Mar 2009
 3. The Ting Tings - "That's Not My Name"                  16 Jan 2009
 4. Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris - "Dance Wiv Me"     28 Feb 2009
 5. Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby"                           28 Feb 2009
 6. Billy Joel - "Tell Her About It"                       26 Mar 2009
 7. Phyllis Nelson - "Move Closer"                         26 Mar 2009
 8. Outkast - "Roses"                                      26 Mar 2009
 9. Elvis Presley - "Suspicious Minds"                     14 Dec 2007
10. P!nk - "Just Like A Pill"                              07 Dec 2007

The SingStore consumer market is quite dedicated. Four of the top 10 songs were released in that week, which means a large segment of users is returning every fortnight specifically to make new purchases. Also interesting to note is the huge surge in popularity of "Bohemian Rhapsody", which was unbundled from the Queen song pack. This may be why we are seeing the Valentine's day song pack unbundled this week.

Of the top 10 songs for that week, it's surprising to see Elvis Presley and Pink's "Just Like A Pill", both originally released in 2007. I guess this is why they are always on those LTD sales charts. Possibly indicative of new game sales (the latest version released in the UK of course being SingStar Queen)

StalkingSilence said:
I didn't receive either - it's linked to this guy's PSN ID so you can see his answers but you can't fill it out yourself. Either way, it's a copy of the survey that went out:
SingStar Survey (credit Official PS Forums)

Here are the artists listed in the survey which you are supposed to choose 10 of:
  • Journey
  • Madonna
  • George Strait
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Mary J. Blige
  • Nelly Furtado
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Four Tops
  • Fergie
  • Beck
  • U2
  • Trisha Yearwood
  • Ryan Adams
  • Guns N' Roses
  • Pussycat Dolls
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Toby Keith
  • The Miracles
  • Britney Spears
  • KISS
  • The Doors
  • Stephen Marley
  • The Supremes
  • AC/DC
  • Michael Jackson
  • The Jackson 5
  • Gwen Stefani
  • Willie Nelson
  • Sheryl Crow
  • Bon Jovi
  • Shania Twain
  • Klaxons
  • Ziggy Marley
  • All-American Rejects
  • Bob Marley
  • Scorpions
  • Boston
  • The Temptations
  • Wolfmother
  • Queens of the Stone Age
  • Chris Cornell
  • Lady GaGa

lupinko

1. Leona Lewis - "Run" 12 Mar 2009
2. Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody" SINGLE: 26 Mar 2009
3. The Ting Tings - "That's Not My Name" 16 Jan 2009
4. Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris - "Dance Wiv Me" 28 Feb 2009
5. Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby" 28 Feb 2009
6. Billy Joel - "Tell Her About It" 26 Mar 2009
9. Elvis Presley - "Suspicious Minds" 14 Dec 2007
10. P!nk - "Just Like A Pill" 07 Dec 2007

I have all these songs, #4 I could do without, but it came with my Vol. 3. ;_;

Returners

o_O trophy patch this thursday?

Nice.

We still don't have an ETA on wireless mics yet?

Also, are they going be bundled with Singstar Pop Edition? (I might just import the bundle then).

Come on SCEA, release Vol. 3 here! Take my $$$.

Top Bottom