• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Weeks Later: Let's bitch about Diablo 3

gatti-man

It's the same people giving it backlash that were bitching about it day -1, They were going to keep bitching about it.

I stopped when i was playing it because i gave d3 the benefit of the doubt. Then when i realized i was in fact correct i started bitching again. Seems the same for most here.

Around 70 hours in I was done.

There's no reason to play endgame. There isn't some ultimate challenge, there's no reward other than wasted time and personal satisfaction. The itemization is shitty and a patch to buff Legendaries isn't going to fix it. Drops are bad, whites are useless and too plentiful. There's no reason to group in endgame, it just makes the game significantly harder. I don't mind the crazy enemy mods but the thing that really brings my piss to boil is relying on fucking 2 minute cooldowns on skills to actually fight them. That shit is straight up retarded. This isn't WoW.

I have other issues with it but I'm sick of complaining about the game. It's a shame because the combat and world they created is great. You feel like a goddamn god in Normal and most of Nightmare, all the hits are chunky and satisfying screen distortions and shakes emphasize brutal blows and enemies explode into limbs and bloody bits on last hits. The game feels great for the most part. It's just everything else they did wrong.

Dahbomb

I am going to stop playing once I pay off the game and hos expansion plus when I beat diablo on inferno. I do think that the core combat its fun along with the skill system but the progression after you reach lvl 60 is boring. You can't make up the grinding with skill and you aren't really experiencing new content. Best way to play the game is just max out the 5 classes at 60 then max out the 5 classes in hardcore mode and call it quits. You will actually have more fun this way and experience new content via playing with different skill sets.

Tacitus_

2. The entire game builds to nothing but a gear-check based on random, dumb luck or the use of your wallet. There’s no actual progression. There’s no new content. The only requirement for ‘progression’ (which I’d argue is not really a good use of the term) is that you have the right gear to move forward. There’s not a question of skill or mastery. Anything tactical is just an exploit (and patched out). If you don’t meet the gear threshold, you will take too much damage or not kill prior to the enrage timer and you will not move on. There is no build that will minimize this, and there is no skill that can make up for it—since the abilities are all balanced around gear.

4. Why bother progressing anyway? You have to run Act 1 in Inferno countless times to progress to Act 2. And what is Act 2? It’s the same Act 2 that you’ve played with that character at least three times before. Nothing changes except for the floating numbers, which you can toggle to be invisible.

What the hell did you expect? That's the core of Diablo. Would you be more satisfied if the difficulty stopped at Hell level but you'd still be able to get Inferno level loot like in D2?

It's the same people giving it backlash that were bitching about it day -1, They were going to keep bitching about it.

This isn't really true at all, but I suppose it's an easy way to dismiss the complaints. I welcomed this game with open arms, and I still think it can be a fun game, but much of the criticism levied against it is fair.

Lothars

Not me. I loved the game up until the post-60 stuff and the introduction of the RMAH.
Okay I should have corrected that I didn't mean all the complaints because there are definitely valid complaints but there are some complaints that are not valid and were the same people making it day -1.

scy

Honestly, this isn't a surprise.

Meh, I still enjoy D3. I'm hoping a big patch can change things up immensely but I'll still be playing occasionally until then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I completely disagree with your first point, which is why I'm still playing the game and having fun.

As with many others, I was hoping D3 would hold my interest for a long time. Unfortunately, a lvl 60 monk with 120hrs (and only 1 legendary discovery) that can't do anything in Act II Inferno (while Act I is a cake-walk), boring classes, no real variation in the game between play-throughs, a pathetically easy difficulty curve up to about Act 3 of Hell, and the extreme emphasis on the Auction Houses turned me off completely. Unlike D2, I really don't ever see myself going back to this game (the story is garbage and the settings aren't very interesting).

I am disappointed in myself that I bought this full price, and irritated that after 140+ hours of playtime I can't convince myself that I got enough enjoyment out of the price. I think it is because the last 60 or so hours were a mindless and futile slog and at the least my time would have been better spent working a minimum wage job.

kswiston

Seems weird to see so many people saying the game had no content, or was a waste of money, when they all played it 50-100 hours in 6 weeks before getting bored (judging by the inferno and level 60 comments).

I beat the game on Normal and started Nightmare before taking a break. Took me 20-25 hours to beat Normal solo with a Demon Hunter (though I did most of the optional dungeons in that time). I put another 5 hours into Nightmare, and goofing around in the auction house. I will probably go back and continue through Nigthmare at some point, but I still felt I got a decent amount of entertainment for my money.

Dysun

It was fun until I got to level 60.

No thanks at farming the same boring acts endlessly for loot. Also Barbarian was a disappointment without an absurd amount of gear

Apdiddy

I'm enjoying my time with the game (although I really want to complete the game as a Barb for the 'true Diablo III experience'), but what's making me quit playing is the constant spam comments about 'you can get 100K in gold for $5!' in general chat while I'm playing. It completely takes me out of the game altogether. I'll have to mess around with it to turn off chat notifications (hopefully) or maybe somehow I'm in general chat and I don't realize it.

crpav

Op, I agree in so many ways but still find myself playing the game a lot. I also dislike the click to move game play. I want to use wasd for better movement especially being a barb. I know the game is meant to be that way though so it is what it is.

here is what should have been done for each harder play through. Extra bosses should have been made and implemented. Normal can have the bosses we all have killed a thousand times but then nightmare should have a new cave or two with an extra boss. Hell would then add an even harder boss in an additional cave and so forth. Basically like wow with their dungeons and raids. They would be like gear checks and optional if you so wanted to try them on the side of the normal campaign.

I don't know, just something to add to the game for a better "end game" experience.

I stopped when i was playing it because i gave d3 the benefit of the doubt. Then when i realized i was in fact correct i started bitching again. Seems the same for most here.

How long did it take you to realize you hated the game? Serious question...

I get this feeling that most people complaining have also played the game for hundreds of hours, and I just find it mind boggling that you can play a game you hate for so long.

That'll probably be the most likely scenario. I imagine that we'll get a Diablo 3 that will satisfy a lot of the complaints. It will just be an eventual thing. We'll see how it goes, though. Diablo 3 has a lot more competition than Diablo 2 did.

I still find it humorous that a lot of the flaws of Diablo 3 are the same flaws that Diablo 2 had at launch. Not sure how they managed that one, really.
Yeah, only in the end D2 was able to become the polished game it is now.

I guess D3 was unfortunately a fast-paced game, born in a time where gamers have become increasingly impatient (the we want it NOW attitude).

crpav

I'm enjoying my time with the game (although I really want to complete the game as a Barb for the 'true Diablo III experience'), but what's making me quit playing is the constant spam comments about 'you can get 100K in gold for $5!' in general chat while I'm playing. It completely takes me out of the game altogether. I'll have to mess around with it to turn off chat notifications (hopefully) or maybe somehow I'm in general chat and I don't realize it.

You can exit the chat channel by clicking on the gear next to the chat pane and click on exit channel. It will save this option for you so if you ever want to see chat you will need to join chat the same way you exited.

scy

What the hell did you expect? That's the core of Diablo. Would you be more satisfied if the difficulty stopped at Hell level but you'd still be able to get Inferno level loot like in D2?

It does make me wonder though, were there complaints like this about Diablo 2 as well? I mean, I guess D2 at least let you level more at the cap but it was mostly irrelevant. It was still the same "kill things for loot" experience except without any actual reason for the loot. I guess that may be the problem, though; we're looking at D3 with the loot grind to progress rather than loot grind for the sake of loot grind. The idea that we can't progress without farming (or AHing / RMAHing) is what makes it an issue, not so much the farming itself.

Personally, I like having a reason for the loot grind (discounting make it rain RMAH cash out reasons).

Derrick01

Banned

While I'm not too familiar with pre release criticisms and who was doing what, this seems like a lame cop out and I've seen this more and more on Gaf for various games. Immediately dismissing what appears to be valid complaints because haters gonna hate and all that stuff.

GJS

It's fine, and it will only get better.

I've played for over 180 hours already and beat post-1.0.3 Inferno Act IV on my monk after 159 hours.

If I hadn't just finished university I would have been enjoying it for months on and off to get to that playtime.

It does make me wonder though, were there complaints like this about Diablo 2 as well? I mean, I guess D2 at least let you level more at the cap but it was mostly irrelevant. It was still the same "kill things for loot" experience except without any actual reason for the loot. I guess that may be the problem, though; we're looking at D3 with the loot grind to progress rather than loot grind for the sake of loot grind. The idea that we can't progress without farming (or AHing / RMAHing) is what makes it an issue, not so much the farming itself.

Personally, I like having a reason for the loot grind (discounting make it rain RMAH cash out reasons).
The D2 play experience ended up revolving around people running bots all day for drops because it required so much grinding to find loot.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Having fun with it still. Though, not enjoying the grind in inferno. Almost have a second character up to level 60.

I do wish the levels were much more randomized. It's basically the same thing over and over again, which is disappointing. I was thrilled last night when I encountered the crumbling temple for the second time. I wish there were a lot more events like that.

I could see an expansion pack will resolve a large amount of the issues with the game.

i really wanted to make this thread, but i've barely played the other games and didn't feel i could articulately defend my points well enough.

i have found diablo 3 to be a thoroughly mediocre game. there isn't a single aspect of it that i find particularly well-made, nuanced, or innovative.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I got my WD to 60 and then ran into the same Inferno wall (nothing was dropping in Act I that could help me progress through Inferno, but I can't afford anything on the AH that would help me past the elites and bosses of Act I). AH would be feasible if inflation wasn't out of control, but unless you have millions in gold at this point or are lucky enough to see something that is drastically underpriced (underpriced in comparison to the listings that are visible, that is - the AH is so poorly designed that it's very difficult to see what prices people are actually buying at), you're locked out, unless you want to spend real money which I'm not going to do.

So I'm just leveling all the other classes to 60 and then calling it quits. I'm hoping Blizzard will revisit the drop rates, so that the satisfaction curve resembles D2, but I doubt they will, since they want to encourage people to use the RMAH.

Looking forward to Torchlight at this point.

I do wish the levels were much more randomized. It's basically the same thing over and over again, which is disappointing. I was thrilled last night when I encountered the crumbling temple for the second time. I wish there were a lot more events like that.

Also wanted to agree with this. I was expecting a lot more randomization with regard to maps. But there only seem to be a few sub-dungeons where you see randomized maps. Really makes the constant repetition required to farm good items even more dull than it already is.

I get this feeling that most people complaining have also played the game for hundreds of hours, and I just find it mind boggling that you can play a game you hate for so long.
I can't speak for everyone but I basically fit into the category you're describing. Here's a post I made in the Xfire thread earlier today:

I'm fine with Inferno being a mode that is a little crazy since it's supposed to be the part of the game that keeps players coming back but that doesn't mean what we ended up with is compelling or fun from a gameplay perspective. Just think about this for a second. You are justifying the end-game of playing the same content over and over and over and over and over and over and over... and over again just by saying it takes "dedication and memorization." To me it's more like --- it takes addiction. I guess endless farming might be fun for some people, and I have no problem with that, but to me it just feels like pressing the lever on a slot machine. You might get a satisfying feeling from the process once in awhile but I hardly think that's enough reason to classify it as "fun." And isn't that the point of playing a game in the first place?

All of that said, I don't think any of this is a reason for me to hate Diablo 3 or for me to say it's a terrible game or what have you. No one is forcing me to beat the game in Inferno and the trials and tribulations of finishing the game on Inferno are not taking away from my enjoyment with the game in prior difficulty levels. It's only there for the people who want it, and I understand that. All I'm saying is that it isn't achieving its goal of keeping me hooked. The curtains have been raised and I'm now staring directly at a bare-bones slot machine. I don't mind stopping by every once in awhile to pull the lever but if Blizzard is trying to keep me coming back consistently and for extended periods of time then I honestly think they've failed.
To add to that, the basic issue here is that the end-game is actually souring my entire experience with D3 to some degree. I spent dozens of hours climbing a huge mountain with anticipation and excitement about what I would see on the other side, and when I reached the top all I saw was a desolate, barren wasteland filled with boredom.

megamerican

I played Diablo 2 for years and years. The hook was always about getting better gear than your buddies so you could stomp them in duels. There is no real competitive edge in Diablo 3 which hurts the replayability.

Dylan

Played through Act 1 on normal and quit. Bad way to spend 60 dollars.

More than any other game, this game really made me think I was a rat in a skinner box, being manipulated into continuously pressing a button for a reward.

sazzy

i've quit until they fix loot, skills/mechanics, mobs, and have figured out stat balance.

so prob like a year.

Dahbomb

However many hours it takes you to reach lvl 60. That's when you realize the games fun ends and it becomes more like an actual job ie grinding for loot and cash. And it doesn't take long to get to lvl60.

Most people who hate the game want there to be great end game content. The journey to end game is great but end game its lacking which is sort of the opposite of d2. if they make the end game better with more content people who play it regularly will enjoy it more.

Prezhulio

shittness of rmah and grind at 60 aside, the lag kills it for me. i can't believe it's still this bad this far after launch. i guess i should be happy they aren't taking it down 1-6 hours everynight.

Deitus

I played through normal, and found it mostly boring with a few highlights. I tried playing a new class, but playing normal a second time was just mind-numbing.

Since everyone says "normal isn't the real game, you have to play the higher difficulties," I played through all of Nightmare. I found it even more boring the second time through. Even though there was actually a possibility of dying this time, it wasn't really what I consider a challenge. I still obliterated everything on the screen in seconds, but if I got lazy or ran into a group of enemies with a bad combination of effects I would die in a couple of hits.

Now that I've beaten Nightmare, I just can't even bring myself to start Hell. I'm sure its more "difficult", but not in an interesting way, just in the fact that enemies do more damage and have more HP. There's not really a new experience to be had there really.

In order for this game to be worth playing again, the following things need to change:
-Nightmare should be the default difficulty. Blah blah blah Nightmare starts at 30 so you can't... whatever. Normal mode has no reason to exist, and it drags down the entire experience having to go through it before getting to the "real game". Just get rid of it. Or, barring that, allow a player to skip normal difficulty on a new character if they have beaten Normal at least once.

-Higher difficulties should have more interesting aspects to them. Just adjusting some numbers and randomizing the dungeons doesn't really make it worth playing through the game a second time, much less a third or fourth. I can't imagine trying to beat Inferno with every class in the game; I would go crazy. There are games out there I can play over and over, and feel fresh every time, but Diablo 3 is not one of them.

-Do something more interesting with the loot. I want pieces of loot to encourage unique playstyles. I'm sick of finding a new piece of gear and just saying "Does that have more INT/VIT than my current item? Nope, vendor trash." Obviously not every piece of loot will be amazing, I just want more in the way of sidegrades. More items that might have lower stats, but produce unique effects that make them worth using (on hit effects that occur 1.5% of the time are not worth it really). More items that make you think "Well this isn't as good as my current equipment for my build, but if I switch to this skill/rune it could be really useful." Also, it would be nice if there was any difference at all between swords, axes, daggers, maces, etc. besides base attack speed.

Obviously there are more aspects that could be improved on. But those three are the ones that are sucking all of the fun out of the game right now, and if they were fixed it would actually be worth playing again for me.

scy

While I'm not too familiar with pre release criticisms and who was doing what, this seems like a lame cop out and I've seen this more and more on Gaf for various games. Immediately dismissing what appears to be valid complaints because haters gonna hate and all that stuff.

I'll say that I hate the RMAH merely because it allows for "...but the RMAH so this is intentional fuck Blizzard" responses. I guess it all depends on your viewpoint but I really don't find that the AH/RMAH is the root cause of any problems, just being scapegoated to it. But eh, I guess I'm hopelessly naive.

Lothars

I think your just as guilty of that in your posts about games all the time but if you look at my post after that I wasn't referring to all criticisms. There are criticisms that were bitched about day -1 that are still refered to even though they are not valid like the only way to progress is by using the AH and RMAH and some of it is people bitching for the sake of bitching, Of course there are certainly valid criticisms as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Now that I've beaten Nightmare, I just can't even bring myself to start Hell. I'm sure its more "difficult", but not in an interesting way, just in the fact that enemies do more damage and have more HP. There's not really a new experience to be had there really.

There are champion and elite affixes that don't show up until Hell. I dunno, I've taken 2 characters to 60, and have 2 sitting in Nightmare right now, and I find the mechanics in the game to be the best in an action RPG in years.

It's fine that you don't agree, but it's unfortunate people are getting bored. I'm clinically addicted.

Morokh

You have to give the game what it does good : the gameplay, it's fun, very arcade-ish and frantic, but for everything else, it's quite average at best.

Story is 'meh', music is forgettable at best, even the sound aspect of the game has nothing special ... seriously where are the creatures with distinctive sounds like the goats from Diablo or the little fallen from D2 screaming 'Rakanishu' ?

Skills are the same bullshit as the so criticized skill trees, half of the skills are useless, 'viable' fun builds are scarce, but you loose the ability to 'theme' your character around a specialised path. (like there is no skills that make use of shields, or specific weapons ... things like that)
What they gave us is a single skill tree with infinite respec .. yay no incentive at all to replay the same class twice.

End-game is a joke, you have to farm for gear .. ok that's fine .. but loot is crap, legendaries are a joke, and you farm for what ? finishing the game for the fourth time with just a game over at the end, no ladder to spice things a bit nothing .... (as rushed as Torchlight 1 was even the infinite dungeon thing was a better idea ...)

More than one month after the game launches even if the server connection issues are more rare, you still get awful lag spikes, 2-3 seconds rollbacks that can cost you a death in Hardcore

The AH could have been a good idea to make trades easier, but since it's so much easier to get gear from it it just became to central, and with the economy being balanced around RMAH and the real value of gold it becomes more and more stupid every week.

Their hotfix policy is bound with keeping the RMAH afloat, but it removes possibilities from the players (MF not affecting chests and whimsy clouds is just plain retarded) and in the end cut the fun out of the game.

to sum it up : Blizzard shipped an unfinished game !

And I won't even go about the future PvP patch that is bound to be a mess if it's as much gear based as the game itself, and if they somehow try to balance it (and even if they said they would not I don't trust them on that)

I played the game for many hours, was really disappointed when I finished Normal, but kept going for the promised very interesting and challenging Inferno mode, who turned out to be an unbalanced chore with random difficulty spikes (Elites), I sticked with it for some time because I like challenges and because 1.3 kicked in when I started to get to the edge of boredom, but there I am again.

Torchlight 2 can't come soon enough, the Beta of this game has been a much more fun experience than D3 so far.

Mupod

I beat inferno on a barbarian before they even nerfed co-op damage increase, but I stopped when the RMAH came out. That kind of thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I want NOTHING to do with it. The gold AH seems pretty worthless now too, although I've barely even looked at it lately.

But yeah I won't start crying over a game I got almost 200 hours out of. I just wish that they had balanced Inferno and co-op scaling before release, because after my friends and I cleared Hell we had to splinter up into solo/duo just to survive. Really killed our momentum and enjoyment at the time.

I don't think I'll be playing it for a while, but I don't play ANY game for months at a time anymore. I'll get the urge to come back to it someday, I'm sure.

gatti-man

Idk i didnt count. Maybe 40 hours? I dont HATE the game either. I dislike it. Here is a breakdown.

Normal: easy but interesting bc content is new
Nightmare: easy and boring. Same content same ridiculously easy difficulty
Hell: Decent difficulty kindof fun but still pretty easy. Content is becoming moldy. Its obvious that the random content isnt nearly random enough and the variety has been exhausted.
Inferno: cheapy hard with gear checks. Only way to progress is to use the ah and farm for days (not hours) playing the same now irritatingly stale content over and over again. This is where I realized the emporer has no clothes and I really shouldnt have bought this game.

D3 in hell difficulty is a $15 game when you take out the cgi. Thats really where the game hits its stride.

Magnus

Played through the campaign once, enjoyed it immensely, and got unbelievably bored incredibly fast after Diablo was down once. Playing with friends while drunk at 2am is about the only way for me to enjoy it in the way I enjoy beat 'em ups for short periods of time. Smashy smashy, etc.

It confirmed for me just how repetitive and monotonous the franchise is, and why I was never 100% drawn to it before.

Call me sick, but as a WoW player for many years, I couldn't help but think as I played D3 that I wanted to play WoW instead. A larger, more expansive world, party members that matter more and whose skills better synergize with yours, and plenty, PLENTY more to do than just kill in the same boring four acts over and over again.

The AH also completely broke the game, and if I could do it again, I'd have played without using it.

The launch window of the first 2-3 days is still firmly in memory, and was a terrible letdown. I won't be forgetting that.

In conclusion, I came to D3 for all the wrong reasons, I'll admit it. But it didn't offer me many compelling reasons to stay after one visit.

I found barb pretty boring, really liked Monk and Demon Hunter though (until it became smokescreen or die).

Not saying I won't play it again, but I've definitely had my fill for now. Trying to cash out but my gear doesn't have any fancy bells or whistles :(

However many hours it takes you to reach lvl 60. That's when you realize the games fun ends and it becomes more like an actual job ie grinding for loot and cash. And it doesn't take long to get to lvl60.

Most people who hate the game want there to be great end game content. The journey to end game is great but end game its lacking which is sort of the opposite of d2. if they make the end game better with more content people who play it regularly will enjoy it more.
It's basically the job-like nature of the game that's the problem.

People want to relax, laugh and be surprised. There is no motivation other than more money, more gear. Result? Everyone is business-like, hardly talking to other people (imo).

When Blizzard implements more end-game, namely dueling, clans, higher character development, better social system, special events, more aesthetic customizations, profiles, we'll have more to talk about

Bento

I'll still play occasionally

+ Inferno is as challenging as I had hoped and even better now that they're getting around to making the bosses less of a joke.

+ Inferno gives more meaning to the loot, every piece means a bit more (and it's effect on your performance is much more appreciable) and isn't as easily replaced every 15 min as it was in the prior difficulties.

+ Multiplayer is still as fun as it was in Diablo 2.

- Every other mode except Inferno is quite frankly shit and not fun at all, loot makes only the difference that it will change if you're going to wreck or stomp the living shit out of your opponents, yey? Hell is acceptable but Normal and Nightmare are both outright boring to play.

- Level design was one of the things I was hoping they would remedy with Diablo 3 over 2. For every fantastic glimpse of greatness in Act 5 and Act 4 in Diablo 2 you had the endless tombs and multiplayer/summoner rage inducing shit that was Maggot Lair of Act 2 and finding you're way in the labyrinth that was early Act 3. Thankfully there is nothing like Flayer Jungle in Diablo 3 but unfortunately other old and new design mistakes have been added to the mix. Did anyone like running around Desolates sand looking for shitty cut and paste dungeons? How about the ending of Act 3 of progressing downwards identical caves and tower levels? Or that the game ended on the short note that was Act 4 but that unlike its Diablo 2 predecessor had none of the brilliance of Chaos Sanctuary and a simple yet fun Diablo fight.

- Item diversity is lacking, not necessarily in visuals but in terms of stats. There just aren't enough variables to make the loot aspect interesting enough. This is supposedly being fixed in the patch after 1.0.4 so we'll see how that goes but as of now they shipped a loot game with not enough depth where it matters the most.

- Class balance is as expected fairly shit with only a few builds per class viable in Inferno. Beta testing only Act 1 in Normal was a major mistake by Blizzard and a lot of the early pains of release could have been avoided with proper testing by the public.

- The graphics just aren't impressive. There's glimpses in the game were the game shines but quite frankly the Titan Quest expansion had more visually interesting areas then this game does. Act 1 at least has some variety and a sense of progression while the other either reuses or stays in one visual theme for far too long. It feels rushed with not enough time to really flesh out the acts.

- Too light on content! I know the game has about as much content as Diablo 2 but I was really hoping for Blizzard, with the way their war chest has increased since 2, would have been able to not only raise the bar but completely blow me away in terms of content offered. Instead I'm offered a product that at best matches Vanilla Diablo 2 which feels disappointing considering the studio behind it.

Would also like to say that I disgaree with OP that Diablo 3 requires no skill, I have seen people with poor gear progress further in Inferno then people with much better gear. Champion packs are tricky and requires strategy as well knowing how to best build your character to suit your playstyle.

Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile will make you forget your bad purchase of Diablo 3.

I just played the demo of D3 and watched the GD Studio play it for a few days. Probably got more enjoyment out of the product than playing it all the way into inferno.

Ok, I'll play. Even though the D3 hate is getting old.

1. The actual ‘click to click’ game experiences isn’t especially fun.

2. The entire game builds to nothing but a gear-check based on random, dumb luck or the use of your wallet.

3. It's not like progression is an unsolvable problem.

4. Why bother progressing anyway?

5. I don’t like pay to win games.

6. Is anyone at 60 still playing for a reason other than the lottery ticket of the RMAH?

1. Feel free to educate us on another Diablo clone with better gameplay. I've probably played them all and the only real contender so far is Titan Quest. D3 is also a pretty big improvement over D2 in the gameplay department, you at least have some flexibility in the builds(perhaps more for some classes and less for some) and not just one cookie-cutter build / patch(sorc usually had 1 good build that everyone used for example, changing with every patch). In D3 the wizard at least has some options even though a couple of skills are hard to get by without.

2. That's Diablo. And Diablo games in general.

3. Diablo is not WoW. The WoW model would be horrible in Diablo.

4. Again. That's a big part of the genre.

5. D3 is not pay2win.

6. The game starts at lv 60. The goal is to get better gear. Perhaps by playing a lot yourself or by using other means, like the new auction-house. I prefer playing for drops myself but I can see why people use the AH.

Overall most of your complaints will probably not go away as they are an integral part of the genre as a whole. Repetition, low drop rates, itemization, klick gameplay. Not sure what you expected.

You could argue that the whole genre could use a revamp and while I perhaps agree to some extent with that(progress is always interesting) Blizzard does not. They don't innovate in the same way as some more experimental studios. They refine and polish what people already like. So to think that D3 was going to be anything else was kind of naive.

It's still not as good as D2:LoD imo but that could be nostalgia talking. Actually I think when the tweak D3 some more and make an expansion it will be vastly superior. D2 was too focused on boss runs, run meph for 100s of times to get loot. D3s elite pack mechanic gives you a little more variation and better gameplay overall. Still I would have liked less technical problem and a better online framework, bnet feels a bit old.

kswiston

Oh well there's still the real Diablo successor coming soon.

This is what will happen with Torchlight 2. Gaf will hype it to the heavens. A ton of people will jump on board day one because of the hype. Most will stop playing the game after 15-25 hours (like any loot game), while a smaller core of people will keep on playing for months/years (like any loot game). 3 months after release, Torchlight 2 will be on sale for 50-75% off, and everyone will bitch on how they wasted their money paying full price.

Well if you actually stopped playing at that point, than good for you, you don't really fit into the group I was pointing out. My argument is that a lot of people complaining got to that very point you described, and continued playing through inferno despite their hate which just seems very silly.

I share many of the same complaints that most do, but at the same time, I hardly hate the game. I have accepted that Inferno is just broken and that Hell was my real end game, and thats my goal with my DH, is to get through Hell (likely hit level 60 like i did with my monk) and then move on to Torchlight 2.

Lothars

This is what will happen with Torchlight 2. Gaf will hype it to the heavens. A ton of people will jump on board day one because of the hype. Most will stop playing the game after 15-25 hours (like any loot game), while a smaller core of people will keep on playing for months/years (like any loot game). 3 months after release, Torchlight 2 will be on sale for 50-75% off, and everyone will bitch on how they wasted their money paying full price.
Exactly, I am looking forward to Torchlight 2 as well and already have it preordered but I have no doubt that you will see tons of people hating on it and saying it's crap after the first month.

Top Bottom