• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Don't know if this is new, but I saw a sign at Target saying that the Earth Giant will be an exclusive.

I'd be very surprised if Jet-Vac/Cynder aren't released as single packs. There's big difference between this and the original release. Everyone had to own it last time. Although in saying that, if you were a 3DS player, you couldn't buy any of the original home console starter figures separately, which is a bit ridiculous.

I still don't know why they're doing a portal owner pack with only a $15 price difference. The Portal Owner edition is for idiots who can't add.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I believe Target have a special granite variant of the Earth Giant (Crusher). It's darker in colour and shows up in the game darker too.

That makes a lot more sense than having him exclusive, especially since only half the giants will likely be available during the holidays.

EBGames in Australia has preorders on their website for what looks like Wave 1:

https://www.ebgames.com.au/featured..._header&utm_campaign=SkylandersGiantsAnnounce

Maybe we'll get something similar for GameStop in the States soon. I'd love to be able to preorder Wave 1 and avoid Day 1 madness.

dat prices!
(hope they will be not that much in US/Canada)

Edited: looking at the Starter Pack, in the info page there is a poster saying "+45 Skylanders to Collect". It will be expansive.... (original game stated +30 and there were 32 + 4 legendaries, not counting the limited editions).

So a recap from the information on that page:

WAVE 1:
Starter Pack:
- Giant Tree-Rex
- Jet-Vac
- Cynder

Giants Packs:
- Bouncer
- Crusher
- Swarm

Single Packs - Lightcore:
- Prism Break
- Eruptor
- Drobot

Single Packs - New Skylanders:
- Pop Fizz
- Frigth Rider

Single Packs - Reposed Skylanders:
- Slam Bam (S2)
- Trigger Happy (S2)

Triple Packs and Battle Packs:
- Chop-Chop / Shroomboom / Golden Dragonfire Cannon
- Pop Fizz / Trigger Happy (S2) / Whirlwind (S2)
- Chill / Ignitor (S2) / Zook (S2)

Let's hope all new and reposed skylanders will be available in the 3-packs (to save money)

I'm quite disappointed that Activision have chosen to package Series 2 characters with new characters in triple packs. They know damn well there's going to be more demand for new characters and it just feels like a kick in the balls to parents buying this stuff for kids who own the first game.

I'm quite disappointed that Activision have chosen to package Series 2 characters with new characters in triple packs. They know damn well there's going to be more demand for new characters and it just feels like a kick in the balls to parents buying this stuff for kids who own the first game.

well, considering that both triple-packs contains one new figure and two S2 figures, and the new ones are also available in single packs at the same wave, you have a choise to only buy new ones in single packs.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
So, this is how my day 1 haul is going.

Starter Packs -

- 3 3DS (2 to open 1 to keep sealed) (for Punch Pop Fizz)
- 3 console versions (2 to open 1 to keep sealed) (will buy the Wii U version on 11-18-12)
- 1 Gamestation GITD exclusive (thanks to a friend over there for helping me out)

Giants -

x3 Bouncer
x3 Crusher
x3 Swarm

(2 to open 1 to hang on the wall)

Lightcore -

x3 Drobot
x3 Eruptor
x3 Prism Break

Single Packs -

x3 Fright Rider

x2 Slam Bam

(1 to open 1 to hang on the wall, since series 2 Skylanders can switch upgrade paths on the fly)

x2 Terrafin

(1 to open 1 to hang on the wall, since series 2 Skylanders can switch upgrade paths on the fly)

x1 Pop Fizz
x1 Chill
x1 Zook
x1 Whirlwind
x1 Ignitor
x1 Trigger Happy

(to hang on the wall)

Triple Packs -

x3 Pop Fizz/Whirlwind/Trigger Happy
x3 Ignitor/Chill/Zook

On those triples, it means I will have 1 extra Whirlwind, Ignitor, Zook, and Trigger Happy. I will probably give those to my kids, as well as an extra Tree Rex from one of my open Starter Packs, as well as an extra series 2 Cynder.

I already have 2 Dragonfire Cannons on their way to me, because Toysrus.com aparently broke street date on them. They now show as out of stock, however. Mine will arrive Thursday, to which I will show you guys some pics if you would like. I still need my 3 Golden Dragonfire Cannons from Gamestop, which I have on reserve.

So, congrats, Activision. You have sealed my fate. On the night of October 21st, I will be killed in my sleep by my wallet, all the while this music will be playing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_6gI0xHzw

:p

Didn't you get three of each last time due to the upgrade paths? If that isn't an issue this time out don't you just need two?

In any case, that's a crazy haul. I'll look forward to seeing the pictures though.

well, considering that both triple-packs contains one new figure and two S2 figures, and the new ones are also available in single packs at the same wave, you have a choise to only buy new ones in single packs.

Not much of a choice. The pricing in the UK was always better value to buy triples rather than singles.

Not much of a choice. The pricing in the UK was always better value to buy triples rather than singles.

Off course it is always better to buy the 3-packs. But considering that there are only a few of new figures (instead of the 32 originals) it may not make sense to Activision to release them in 3-packs, specially that some of the new figures will only be release in waves months ahead (maybe in the final wave there will be 3-packs only from new figures).

If you only want the new figures, think as there is no 3-packs for this game.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Didn't you get three of each last time due to the upgrade paths? If that isn't an issue this time out don't you just need two?

In any case, that's a crazy haul. I'll look forward to seeing the pictures though.

From the video FGTV did with Paul, only the series 2 Skylanders are able to swap upgrade paths on the fly. So, with those, I will only be getting 2 of the series 2 that don't come in a triple pack. It's actually cheaper (by only 2 dollars lol) to go with the configuration I listed above. If I went with 2 singles of each series 2, and 3 singles of each new Skylander, it would cost 506 dollars, instead of 504, hahaha.

So, I figure if I go with 3 triple packs, I can keep one Zook, Ignitor, Whirlwind, and Trigger Happy as my open one, and give 4 of the same to my kids to mess with.

However, I have two complete sets of cards for Spyro's Adventure, and I devised a way to use them if I host any tournaments. So, in keeping with that rule I came up with for a method of holding a tournament, I may have to get FOUR of everything, so I can have two complete sets of cards for Giants to mix with my Spyro's Adventure cards so to keep that method of play alive. I say this, because one set of cards is gonna be stapled to my wall.

I'm still undecided on what to do, however. So far, it's what I listed above, but it may change to a higher number.

My idea of tournament play, using the cards is still being tweaked, but it's a fun way to play, where the cards are laying face down, and people draw a card, and whichever character they pick, is the character they have to play as. If you draw a magical item card like the healing elixir, you can use it to revive a character that may have died in a previous battle, meaning you are allowed to use that character one more time. I'm still devising ways to to use the other magical item cards in tournament play.

izakq

So, is the Wii U version of the game going to be needing it's own portal, or will it be able to use the gamepad's NFC?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, is the Wii U version of the game going to be needing it's own portal, or will it be able to use the gamepad's NFC?

Portal. No games at launch use NFC.

My daughter and I were watching one of the cartoon channels yesterday (there are so damned many that I can't remember which one it was) and we saw a commercial for Giants. It was very similar to the commercials that they aired for the first game. Honestly, it was kind of a lame attempt at comedy with the camera just showing the figures standing still and you could hear their voices as they cracked lame jokes. It was awkward. Still, we both got pretty excited when we realized that it's only 3 weeks away!

How are people pre-ordering specific character figures? I've got 3 Giant characters (none of the regular sized ones) pre-ordered from EBGames (Canada), but I was told that I wasn't able to specify which ones I wanted, only that I would be able to pick 3 figures out of whatever they happen to get in their shipment.

How are people pre-ordering specific character figures? I've got 3 Giant characters (none of the regular sized ones) pre-ordered from EBGames (Canada), but I was told that I wasn't able to specify which ones I wanted, only that I would be able to pick 3 figures out of whatever they happen to get in their shipment.

I ordered from an independent retailer in the UK who allowed me to pick and choose.

Dragonfire Cannon arrived today!

BNsk6.jpg

GameMaster78

Neo Member
This is why I think there's going to be a problem in getting the figures, still.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/hathead812/m.html?item=280985941708

Some person has them inhand already, almost all of wave 1, if not ALL of wave 1. He won't ship til the game streets, but the fact that he has them, makes me think it's an employee who just snatches from the boxes in the back. Other employees at stores will surely catch on, and you have the makings of low stock on day 1. I say this, because I called 4 Targets today, with only 2 weeks left to go, and none of them even knew a second game was coming out, thus they said they don't know if they will have stock on day 1.

Someone posted on Reddit that they found the figures on the shelf at a Best Buy somewhere but the figures couldn't be sold due to street date, what that indicates I can't say. Could have been a Skylanders savvy employee or the figures are tagged in their system.

That said...I can't imagine that there will be low stock on Day 1...with this being the biggest toy and game in recent memory, stock should be quite high. My personal concern is stores limiting the number you can purchase Day 1. I don't want more than what I need for myself but I don't want to be waiting at Target (my first stop) on launch day only to be told that there is a limit on how many figures you can buy.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I can only hope. I find it odd that stores in the UK and Australia allow for preorders of figures, but stores here in the US don't. I can't lie and say it doesn't bug me.

With how much hassle the first game figures were to get, it almost made me quit. I stuck with it, but I won't allow myself to get that frustrated again, so if Giants stuff gets hard to find, I think I will have to call it quits... sadly.

I just don't like seeing people already have wave 1, which doesn't bode well for customers chances at the store those ones listed on Ebay were bought at. I don't like the fact I called 4 Targets this close to release, and they have nothing setup for the release of Giants, which some Target stores do. They didn't even know the game existed.

Yeah...I'm hoping that since other regions get the game sooner than the US that maybe come Monday or so we'll be able to preorder as well. I'd love to get that out of the way and avoid the madness I'm predicting Day 1.

I can only hope. I find it odd that stores in the UK and Australia allow for preorders of figures, but stores here in the US don't. I can't lie and say it doesn't bug me.

With how much hassle the first game figures were to get, it almost made me quit. I stuck with it, but I won't allow myself to get that frustrated again, so if Giants stuff gets hard to find, I think I will have to call it quits... sadly.

I just don't like seeing people already have wave 1, which doesn't bode well for customers chances at the store those ones listed on Ebay were bought at. I don't like the fact I called 4 Targets this close to release, and they have nothing setup for the release of Giants, which some Target stores do. They didn't even know the game existed.
This is why I'm probably going to go back to my EBGames and pre-order a couple more of the figures. LOL at those eBay listings: "RARE. HTF." More like: "DOUCHE. BAG."

GameMaster78

Neo Member
So, toysrus.com did indeed break street date on a particular Skylanders Giants set. It was the new Battle Pack.

When I saw the link, and I saw that it was instock, I figured it really meant it was a pre-order. However, this came in the mail yesterday.

IMG_0044.jpg

I took a couple of pics, as well as placed the cannon on the Portal of Power, since I had heard it lights up.

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

They have since pulled the link. However, what's really making me sick to my stomach, is that at least 2 people on Ebay, have all of wave 1. They are most likely store employees, but the thing is, if store employees take the stock early, what figures can we get on day 1 at said store?

Late to the party but how much fun is this? My two kids; 10 and 4 years old have been asking for these for the Skylanders for a while now and I figured I'd hook em up for Christmas. Never really followed em and now I'm checking it all out.

Late to the party but how much fun is this? My two kids; 10 and 4 years old have been asking for these for the Skylanders for a while now and I figured I'd hook em up for Christmas. Never really followed em and now I'm checking it all out.

GET IT! But be aware it will hurt your wallet.

The GOLDEN cannon is a GS exclusive, and its just a repaint. Other stores will have a silver cannon that has the same 2 figures. TRU released it early and some folks (myself included) got the regular cannon pack last week.

Hi yall. I just got the 3DS version of this game a couple days ago and just wanted to say that this game is pretty awesome. I really like the collecting toys part of it but the base game is a really good game.

I've only got what came with the 3DS version, but plan to get more soon. I guess I do have a question. I wanna get Hex and I usually buy stuff from amazon. They have Hex...for now but they also have a three pack with her and two other skylanders and I thought it would be great to get that instead but apparantly thats out of stock at amazon. So is Camo, another Skylander I want. My question is are the still restocking these? Since I basically got the game days before the sequel comes out I fear that I won't be able to get all the ones I want if they stop restocking them. (Well I've heard they are rereleasing the original Sylanders with new abilities for Skylanders Giants, but I wanted to tet some of the originals. Theres still plenty here and thankfully the Hex single pack is still in stock but that Camo is is just going up in price now lol.)

Is gamestop even still selling these? Every Skylander I look up on their website says "online only" I usually goto amazon but I got a gamestop and walmart near me. (Nothing else.)

I also won't be able to afford these until probably Nevember, December, or even January. Hope I can get the ones I want!

Anywayz: Of the three starters, I like Ignitor the best. Pretty good HP and strong attacks. Stealth Elf is awesome but doesn't have alot of HP and Dark Spyro was about normal but after getting to level 9 he is becoming a monster in attacks. I really like the differences in the characters.

I'm officially hooked on the whole Skylanders thing now and wanna start collecting. Just have to get through this year since I still gotta get the WiiU then I'll start. Heres my plan on what I'll be getting and when:

Late 2012/early 2013:
Hex (or Hex in 3 Pack if its back in stock.)
Camo (or Came in 3 Pack if it comes in stock.)
A Undecided Three Pack
A Level Pack.

Q1 2013:
Any other figurees I need to get one of each element.
The Three other level packs.
Skylanders PS3 game.

Then I think I'll move onto Giants 3DS and start getting those figures. Not even gonna think about getting them all but maybe ten-fifteen a game as long as the games continue to be good. Maybe I should also look into getting any limited Figures for Giants in the next few months before those go away.

I plan to be caught up by the third game next October. (Its Activision, you know it is already a annual series.)

I must say again this is such a great idea of a game. This is the first time I actually have started collecting figures of any kind. (I'm 19) I'm at the last (well..only) boss of Skylanders 3DS and after that I'll quit that way I can go back and 100% it with 3-4 new figures. As lf right now Dark Spyro is at level 9 and Stealth Elf and Ignitor is at level 8. Trying to keep them even. I like all three and can't wait too get more!

If I were you, I wouldn't buy any figures until Giants launches unless you're a serious collector. The Series 2 figures are better than Series 1 in terms of both their quality and powers. Also, there will be a LightCore variant of Hex released as well as a reposed version.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, it's almost time to get a new wall started.

Here is a pic of the wall as it stands now -

Panoramic view (kinda dark) -

IMG_0053.jpg

Here is the left side, with some flash -

IMG_0056.jpg

and the right -

IMG_0057.jpg

So, the MK poster and figures, as well as the Elite Beat Agents and Metroid Prime 3 posters will have to come down.

I have a lot of stuff reserved at Toys R Us, as a fallback incase it gets stupid hard to find these figures like with the first game (darn greedy scalpers).

However, my friends at Best Buy let me hold the stash they're holding for me, for day 1.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

They didn't let me buy it, of course, but they were nice enough to let me drool over them for a minute or two.

They are holding me this for day 1 -

x3 Bouncer
x3 Swarm
x3 Crusher
x3 Fright Rider
x3 Pop Fizz/Whirlwind/Trigger Happy Triple Packs
x3 Ignitor/Chill/Zook Triple Packs
x2 Terrafin
x2 Slam Bam
x2 LC Drobot
x2 LC Prism Break
x2 LC Eruptor
x1 Zook
x1 Whirlwind
x1 Ignitor
x1 Trigger Happy
x1 Chill
x1 Pop Fizz

I also have 3 Starters paid off with them (1 360, 2 3DS).

Plus I have to go to TRU and pickup my 2 preordered Legendary Triple Packs, plus 3 Legendary Bouncers (if he's available on day 1 in NA). Finally, I have to go to Target and get 2 Granite Crushers, followed by Gamestop to pick up my 2 preordered Golden Dragonfire Battle Packs.

My last stop on my Skylanders run, will be Sams, where I will pickup 6 more Starter Packs (2 Wii, 2 3DS, 1 PS3, 1 360, all with GITD Cynder and Portal of Power).

Total cost for my Skylanders run on day 1? Oh, it's nothing, just a mere $1369.84. Now if you will excuse me, I need to go tie my feet to a brick and jump into a lake.

Toys For Bob had to go and make a great game like this. THANKS TOYS FOR BOB! It's your fault. :p

If I were you, I wouldn't buy any figures until Giants launches unless you're a serious collector. The Series 2 figures are better than Series 1 in terms of both their quality and powers. Also, there will be a LightCore variant of Hex released as well as a reposed version.
So I've heard from reading the thread. (Read the entire thread almost, from page 1-37) but I would still like to get some Series 1 figures just to have some figures from each series. Thanks for the heads up about Light Hex tho.

Also another question; Just found out about the Gold Cannon Giants figure. I guess this will be available locally at Gamestop? (My GS is small, I don't even know if they have a Skylanders section...) and is it limited edition? Can I just wait till like December or January to get it or is that just for pre orders or something. (Can you even pre order it locally?)

Is there a website to see what limited edition figures/store exclusive figures are coming? Jw. Tho this thread seems a good of a place as any.

Anywayz: I beat the final boss of the 3DS game at 4:30. Really short but very fun. Still gotta get all the crystals but I will wait till I get newer figures since I don't wanna keep playing with my current figures when I max their levels out. (Which I have almost done.)

Must say again awesome idea for a game. I am suprised no one has copied it yet, tho if they did then it would probably die since Skylanders is so popular and takes up lots of retail space probably lol.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
We just put a bunch of videos up of Giants on the COIN-OP.TV Youtube. Check them out if you're interested.

Fright Night preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kMAVGZ90e8
Chill preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjN7WMU-cYI
Swarm preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUSSuMS4EWg
Crusher preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbOGEVW7aUI

Also, feel free to check out our entire Skylanders playlist for any other videos. There's a ton up there!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL11E91C4EB45BB7EB

Sora_N

I preordered 4x 'Lightcore' figures from Bestbuy.ca on the weekend, any idea what they might be? I'm guessing they're just random assortments of the single characters. I have not kept up but I'm planning to buy a few figures as toys. I doubt I will play the game unless my gf wants to split a copy, I'm burnt out of Skylanders as a game.

I preordered 4x 'Lightcore' figures from Bestbuy.ca on the weekend, any idea what they might be? I'm guessing they're just random assortments of the single characters. I have not kept up but I'm planning to buy a few figures as toys. I doubt I will play the game unless my gf wants to split a copy, I'm burnt out of Skylanders as a game.

Drobot, Eruptor, Prism Break should be three of them

Stage On

I was having trouble deciding between the 3ds and 360 version since I don't want doubles of Tree Rex and Cynder but I figure if I can sell the 3ds version (sans Pop fizz) it'll pretty much cover the cost of the 360 version for me

Any advice on how to get this puppy to sell?

Zing

Banned
Any Canadian deals on Giants? Best Buy is offering $5 off.

I'm not even going to be home on release day, so I figured I'd just order it online. I wish I could order some of the new figures as well. I see Activision is still going with the strategy of making things as vague as possible.

Stage On

Any Canadian deals on Giants? Best Buy is offering $5 off.

I'm not even going to be home on release day, so I figured I'd just order it online. I wish I could order some of the new figures as well. I see Activision is still going with the strategy of making things as vague as possible.

That's about the best deal I've found, well unless you per-ordered during e3

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is there any difference between the Dragonfire Cannon and the Golden Dragonfire Cannon, or is it just a color thing like the variants?

fernoca

Might post the OT for Giants today; since release in a few regions (AU and EU) is this week.

Like the original version of this OT it will be quite simple at first with just a basic FAQ; since there's no need to write again about how the portal works, etc. So, more focused on anwsering questions about what's new and stuff. Based on posts, questions, etc. on the thread, I will update the main post with more info and other stuff.

EDIT:
...and posted.

Suggestions, etc. are welcome. Really basic and it might stay that way, since I kept in mind a few things mentioned through the "no more big OT-threads":
1. No text as images (so those that want to "control+F" Release Date can do so).
2. Not a ton of info, just the basic stuff.
3. Not many images.:p

Top Bottom