• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: New(er) Screenshots and Previews

Wanace

Aegus said:
Hmm is it a worldwide release? I'm just wondering if the Korean vpn tricked that worked for BF3 will work for Skyrim...
Should work, I think Australia will be the first region to get it.

I live in China, and for some reason the release is delayed to 11/12/11 here, so I fired up my VPN and set the server to Australia and checked and the time was back to 11/11/11.

Which is good because I was going to be pissed if I couldn't play it on Friday.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
How quickly does the price fall on these games? Would it fall below fifty in a couple of weeks or should I just preorder for that $10 Amazon credit and get it now? I've got other things on y slate right now so I don't have a massive amount of time to dedicate to Skyrim, I can wait a little while if it'd be cheaper.

ACE 1991

-GOUKI- said:
I've had a problem trying this at home. I plugged my rig into my tv with an hdmi and the screen was so washed out. No idea why. I tried just about all the settings.

ati 5770

Anyone had this problem?

Were your drivers up to date, and did you confirm that the hdmi cable worked fine with other devices? I found that I had do a little fiddling around in display management in Catalyst in order to get it functioning properly.

Lakitu

st5fu
I love the Imperial Legion armour.

Ugh, now I want to create a character called 'Caesar' so
I can rule the Imperial (if we even do) Legion with as much grace (answer: none at all) as that Caesar from F:NV.
What's wrong with me?

JoeBoy101

SpeedingUptoStop said:
How quickly does the price fall on these games? Would it fall below fifty in a couple of weeks or should I just preorder for that $10 Amazon credit and get it now? I've got other things on y slate right now so I don't have a massive amount of time to dedicate to Skyrim, I can wait a little while if it'd be cheaper.

This isn't going below $50 for a good while. Maybe its just my opinion, but because of the depth and mods on the PC side, TES games tend to have staying power. You can wait for a Platinum/GOTY/UberSpecial edition with DLC in it, but that's probably going to be a while.

Pollux

I just have one question about this game:

Will there be equipment that I can go get as a low level character that won't change as I level up, like there was in Morrowind, and not really much of in Oblivion?

For example from Morrowind:
Umbra Sword
Goldbrand
Sword of White Woe
Chrysamere
Daedric Crescent
Dragonbone Cuirass
Bow of Shadows
Ice Blade of the Monarch
etc.

So looking forward to this. People on the official Bethesda forums have estimated that my specs (i3 3.2 GHz, ATI HD 5670 512MB, 8GB RAM, Win 7 64bit) should be able to run the game at 1080p at medium settings with a decent framerate, which is disappointing, but then my rig is massively outdated.

CAN'T WAIT!!!

zmoney said:

Will there be equipment that I can go get as a low level character that won't change as I level up, like there was in Morrowind, and not really much of in Oblivion?

Umbra Sword
Goldbrand
Sword of White Woe
Chrysamere
Daedric Crescent
Dragonbone Cuirass
Bow of Shadows
Ice Blade of the Monarch
etc.

oh LORD i hope so.

it gives the world so much more. *fist bump* for knowing the sword of white woe.

What i'd do is roll a Redguard, Warrior Sign, go to Balmora, get the Sword of White Woe from the Guard Room, go to Scakaka or whatever, climb the mountain (JUMP JUMP JUMP), then save before i fight Umbra.

looooool, i'd never do that for a serious playthrough, but still fun

Wanace

zmoney said:

Umbra Sword
Goldbrand
Sword of White Woe
Chrysamere
Daedric Crescent
Dragonbone Cuirass
Bow of Shadows
Ice Blade of the Monarch
etc.
I have that question too. On all my Morrowind playthroughs I'd head straight for Balmora and steal that Sword of White Woe.

I hated the scaling loot in Oblivion. Just made me delay doing all the quests that gave good loot (until I got the mod that could scale quest rewards.)

Wallach

zmoney said:

Umbra Sword
Goldbrand
Sword of White Woe
Chrysamere
Daedric Crescent
Dragonbone Cuirass
Bow of Shadows
Ice Blade of the Monarch
etc.

Spear of Bitter Mercy > *.

It's officialy November 4th here (well, it has been for 30 minutes :lol). OT's set to go up in about 11 to 12 hours, though there may be a small delay for title-based reasons.

Anyway, it's so close now I can taste it.

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
It's officialy November 4th here (well, it has been for 30 minutes :lol). OT's set to go up in about 11 to 12 hours, though there may be a small delay for title-based reasons.

30 minutes for me.

I'm so excited. I've no idea what I'm going to be like on the 10th at 11:30pm.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't think Beth has actually responded to the loot scaling question, correct?

Just cryptic remarks and some basic stuff on level scaling... but nothing directly related to loot scaling?

Blue Ninja said:

I'm officially feeling tortured waiting for Skyrim's release...

Rapture

Deified Data said:
Sprinting? Is that what they did in Morrowind? Looked more like a deranged shambling.

I keed, I keed.

Hahaha so true. I played an Argonian, the beast races ran soooo funny in that game, but i gotta say, god DAMN did Argonians look hot in that Glass Armor! I was so disappointed with it in Oblivion. lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I will not be able to see the OT for a week. :(

I have two huge ass exams next week. Fortunately, the last is the day before Skyrim. Unfortunately, I'm banning myself from gaf until they're over. So I don;t get too distracted and waste hours here, as I often do before a big exam. Tonight was my last night of freedom until Skyrim midnight release.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Trojita said:
Would PC GAF look down on me for playing Skyrim PC on my TV using a 360 controller?

That's how I played Fallout New Vegas. I hope you like microstuttering, though. It's especially bad when using the controller when turning, as it's a constant motion. Turn (hitch) turn (hitch) turn (hitch). It's almost a game breaker.

Rapture said:
Hahaha so true. I played an Argonian, the beast races ran soooo funny in that game, but i gotta say, god DAMN did Argonians look hot in that Glass Armor! I was so disappointed with it in Oblivion. lol
Argonian will be my first character in Skyrim. Like what they did with them - they look bestial, but not so bestial that they can't wear human armor.

bender

What time is it?
zmoney said:

Umbra Sword
Goldbrand
Sword of White Woe
Chrysamere
Daedric Crescent
Dragonbone Cuirass
Bow of Shadows
Ice Blade of the Monarch
etc.

I'd love to know this too. Like others have said, every time I started a new character in Morrowind I'd go straight for the Sword of White Woe (once I learned about it anyway). The loot scaling and lack of variety in environments in Oblivion really bothered me.

I didn't put a lot of time into Oblivion and I often wonder if it was because of those issues or if it was because Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game and it's hard to recapture that sense of wonder. I guess I'll find out with Skyrim.

Gravijah said:
i believe in you
Believe in Nick Breckon. With some luck, he can help make that OT just a teensy bit more special.

Gotta make that title fit in with the lore, wouldn't you agree? ;)

Evolved1 said:
I will not be able to see the OT for a week. :(

I have two huge ass exams next week. Fortunately, the last is the day before Skyrim. Unfortunately, I'm banning myself from gaf until they're over. So I don;t get too distracted and waste hours here, as I often do before a big exam. Tonight was my last night of freedom until Skyrim midnight release.
You've got more willpower than I.

Woorloog

Banned
zmoney said:
Someone Tweet Bethesda? Might be worth a try.

Pollux

Alpha-Bromega said:
oh LORD i hope so.

it gives the world so much more. *fist bump* for knowing the sword of white woe.

What i'd do is roll a Redguard, Warrior Sign, go to Balmora, get the Sword of White Woe from the Guard Room, go to Scakaka or whatever, climb the mountain (JUMP JUMP JUMP), then save before i fight Umbra.

looooool, i'd never do that for a serious playthrough, but still fun
There are actually two Swords of White Woe. One in the Guard Room in Balmora and one in the Guard Tower (Southern one) in Suran.

Pollux

Dresden said:
Bitches knew it was all about sprinting to ghostgate for that set of glass armor.
Fuck sprinting...I jumped like a fucking jack rabbit all over Vvardenfell.

But depending on the mood I was in:
1. Got the glass armor and Daedric Claymore from Ghost Gate after getting the Jink Blade to freeze people.

2. Levitated to a the pointy rock near Umbra and then threw throwing stars at him or any other projectile to get that Orcish Armor/cool sword.

3. Went to the plantation outside of Suran, and some dude in one of the huts had a Daedrick Dai-Katana.

There were other fun things to try and do as a low level character but the thing that made Morrowind so great, was that you COULD do them as a low level character. Divyath Fyr was always wearing Daedric Armor. If you thought you could take him you could go get the damn armor. He didn't start out in Chittin Armor and get better armor as you leveled up.

Woorloog said:
Someone Tweet Bethesda? Might be worth a try.
Don't have twitter but someone should. Love your avatar btw.

Also as someone said earlier Oblivion was just so damn bland. I remember getting off the boat in Morrowind and having no idea what to do except "go to Caius Casades" in Balmora. Well little did I know that I was being sent to a skooma house. I don't roll that way. Dude was going to steal my money for another hit.

So I rolled out of there and just went all over trying to find stuff to kill and search for adventure. The change in environment and architecture from Sedya Neen's swampy ghetto, to the small city of Balmora, to the Vivec, to the sandstorms and barren wasteland surrounding Ald-Rhun in the central area of Vvardenfell, to the East and Sadrith Mora and Tel Banora and their tree things they had going on, to the North...Gnisis and eventually to the island of Solstheim, and the traditional fantasy towns of Ebonheart and Peligad.

The environment was just so varied, exotic, inviting, open, and unique...i was drawn in. I still go back and spend a good couple weeks replaying Morrowind. I never follow the main quest now. I just level up, kill Vivec, kill the dwarf in the Corpusorium, take some Daedric Armor, get Keening and Sunder and go kill Dagoth Ur.

But damn...Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. If Skyrim can reignite that sense of wonder and the desire to explore by having loot that I can go find that's completely unique, or something that I can get anytime If I'm lucky as a starting character....plus the non-reptative environments and dungeons and caves. Then I'll be happy. I'll be happy if Skyrim is even 75% of the game Morrowind was.

MaddenNFL64

zmoney said:
There are actually two Swords of White Woe. One in the Guard Room in Balmora and one in the Guard Tower (Southern one) in Suran.

That sword was good early game stuff, but getting the goldbrand was so fucking easy. then getting the eltonbrand was so fucking easy.

Woorloog

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
That sword was good early game stuff, but getting the goldbrand was so fucking easy. then getting the eltonbrand was so fucking easy.
Am i only one who never did any of this? I never tried to get any specific weapon as fast as possible, i took my time and immersed myself in the world. I rarely even got so far that i'd go artifact hunting... Tried out so many characters. And mods.

Pollux

Woorloog said:
Am i only one who never did any of this? I never tried to get any specific weapon as fast as possible, i took my time and immersed myself in the world. I rarely even got so far that i'd go artifact hunting... Tried out so many characters. And mods.
Yea I did that at first, but on your 4th play through you just want to mess NPC's up.

On one of my characters I made it my mission to kill every single NPC in the game that wouldn't respawn (like guards). And even them I killed whenever I saw them. I was such a badass rolling around with my Daedic Battle Axe and Fur Boots. Then when everyone was dead the game got very boring very quick.

Rapture

zmoney said:
But damn...Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. If Skyrim can reignite that sense of wonder and the desire to explore by having loot that I can go find that's completely unique, or something that I can get anytime If I'm lucky as a starting character....plus the non-reptative environments and dungeons and caves. Then I'll be happy. I'll be happy if Skyrim is even 75% of the game Morrowind was.

You sir, have just brought a tear to my eye. :')

Hulud

When I roll a new MW character it goes

demon katana+sword of white woe from Balmora -> boots of blinding speed+resist magicka 1 sec on self spell -> ebony armor+deadric greaves+deadric dai katana from Dren Plantation -> Umbra -> whatever else

I highly doubt Skyrim will be as good as Morrowind. That said, I still can't fucking wait for the game.

Woorloog

Banned
zmoney said:
Yea I did that at first, but on your 4th play through you just want to mess NPC's up.

On one of my characters I made it my mission to kill every single NPC in the game that wouldn't respawn (like guards). And even them I killed whenever I saw them. I was such a badass rolling around with my Daedic Battle Axe and Fur Boots. Then when everyone was dead the game got very boring very quick.
I never have played a wanton murderer in Morrowind or Oblivion, other than while using god mode and testing some stuff. Even while being a member of the Dark Brotherhood.
The world in the games is so damn immersive (even with repeated voice acting/actors) i can't do that.
i did once kill all the beggars in Oblivion, but that character didn't last for long for other reasons

Pollux

Woorloog said:
I never have played a wanton murderer in Morrowind or Oblivion, other than while using god mode and testing some stuff. Even while being a member of the Dark Brotherhood.
The world in the games is so damn immersive (even with repeated voice acting/actors) i can't do that.
i did once kill all the beggars in Oblivion, but that character didn't last for long for other reasons
Yea after that play through I had a much higher regard for NPC life. I think I started doing it because I was pissed about something that happened at football practice and took it out on everyone in Balmora and then saved and quit. The next day I basically said "well, fuck it, and killed EVERYONE".

Rapture said:
You sir, have just brought a tear to my eye. :')
I speak only the truth. The environments in Morrowind were amazing. The fact that I can remember place names and weapon/armor names off the top of my head speaks to this.

The only thing I remember from Oblivion is Kvatch. Not a single special weapon, except Umbra and the only reason I remember that is because I was pissed they turned a badass Orc Warrior into some whiny nord chick.

Simo

Blue Ninja said:
Believe in Nick Breckon. With some luck, he can help make that OT just a teensy bit more special.

Gotta make that title fit in with the lore, wouldn't you agree? ;)

Haha WOT. This is gunna be good...!

MaddenNFL64

Woorloog said:

For the most part I did this, but with Morrowind these powerful items are just sitting there, waiting for you to get them. Some of these are suicide missions, so you don't go, but others are just sitting there, waiting for you. Powerful rings, and armors, swords. Oblivion took away that really. There was no point in trying to get Umbra early. It was gonna suck balls.

Woorloog

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
For the most part I did this, but with Morrowind these powerful items are just sitting there, waiting for you to get them. Some of these are suicide missions, so you don't go, but others are just sitting there, waiting for you. Powerful rings, and armors, swords. Oblivion took away that really. There was no point in trying to get Umbra early. It was gonna suck balls.
Err, Umbra wasn't leveled in Oblivion. But the guy holding it was and had Orcish/Ebony armor..

Woorloog said:
Err, Umbra wasn't leveled in Oblivion. But the guy holding it was and had Orcish/Ebony armor..
Umbra in Oblivion always had a special set of Ebony armor: I think its stats were leveled, but I'm not sure.

Pollux

MaddenNFL64 said:
Exactly. Oblivion also had the little marker on the map telling you where to go, and instant fast travel. Killed the game for me.

Trying to find little caves to kill people on Morag Tong quests or to find a weapon, or to retrieve someone's Guar...made the game more immersive. You really had to look and play, and read directions.

Simo

Blue Ninja said:
Don't get your hopes up, though. I'll probably have to stick with the title I chose a while ago. :(

Hopes are up, now you cannot fail.

Seriously though, great job and just unleash the OT already!

MaddenNFL64

Woorloog said:

Really? goddamn lol. I remember unique weapons being shit if you got them before level 20. I didn't dive for them until way later. Well, I feel dumb.

Wallach

Woorloog said:

All of my mages in Morrowind wind up corrupt as fuck. It was too tempting once you had regular access to levitation. Forget great responsibility, I took the great power and rained fire & lightning on entire towns.

Top Bottom