• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: New Screenshots (Races)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Uriah said:
You can just admit you want to marry a lusty argonian maid. No one will judge you or anything.

I actually haven't read the ingame books about that - was it an Imperial trying to do his maid?

ReaperXL07 said:
lol, maybe......

No but i'm probably going to create a Roided out Argonian dragon warrior, and bang the cats. I guess the funny part is that i've never even been into the furry love, I just really want to see what the offspring of lizard and a cat would look like.

Probably like something from my nightmares.
I'd actually like to see some lizardcats too. ...Do you need some funding?

rataven

Wow, looking pretty good, especially the Khajit and Argonian. Big improvement over Oblivion.

Now let's hope the voice acting has made equal strides!

okenny

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
Damn right I want thick, roided argonians. I hate them seeing so lanky.

I think you have issues you need to deal with before playing this game :(
Hope you jumped on the newegg.com deal :D

Sblargh said:
Speaking of lore, I seem to remember dragon talking being a skill on Daggerfall, don't remember any dragons on there tho.
I think there were Drakes or something like that. I'm not sure, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am constantly blown away by the comparison pictures to Oblivion...it's insane to think about how much time I was able to sink into it. I knew the faces were bad, but JESUS.

Papercuts said:
I am constantly blown away by the comparison pictures to Oblivion...it's insane to think about how much time I was able to sink into it. I knew the faces were bad, but JESUS.

We lived in somewhat simpler times back when Oblivion first dropped.

Mr_Brit

Banned
disappeared said:
We lived in slightly simpler times back when Oblivion first dropped.
I think people forget just how old Oblivion really is. For its time Oblivion was the best looking game released(faces aside) and was the go to game for GPU benchmarks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I remember Oblivion being a graphical benchmark when it came out, but even then I knew the orcs specifically had really weird fat looking faces. I just seemed to not realize for whatever reason the humanoids were just as messed up.

Of course, 5 years IS a long time, that picture is just one of the first that really strikes me how far we've really come from the start of this gen.

Sophuis

Neo Member
Now THAT's a fucking Argonian. This game's a lock.

Now show me some more magical goodness, Bethesda. Magicka has spoiled me - I want some beam spells, some giant fucking walls that shoot lightning and puke fire. I want to reduce every Elf I see to bloody giblets. Let me make them explode.

Barring that, I'd settle for some decapitations.

Yup, races now finally look good. I'm still disappointed that most of the previews covered the same ground as Bethesda's demo though, what would sell me on the game is the world being as interesting as it was in Morrowind, and so far I haven't seen many signs of that (though it certainly does look like an improvement over Oblivion).

Sophuis said:
Now THAT's a fucking Argonian. This game's a lock.

Now show me some more magical goodness, Bethesda. Magicka has spoiled me - I want some beam spells, some giant fucking walls that shoot lightning and puke fire. I want to reduce every Elf I see to bloody giblets. Let me make them explode.

Barring that, I'd settle for some decapitations.
There's no gore in the game. Sorry bro. :(

Wood Elves look awesome! Big improvement over Morrowind and Oblivion for my favourite race of the lot (<3 archery) - Argonian's look amazing too, so much better.

Sophuis

Neo Member
When I saw that chest stabbing finisher, I briefly had hope. Guess I'll have to settle for setting some sumbitches on fire.

Wanace

Absolutely astounding. This game is going to consume me.

I'm also going to make an Argonian, glad they look so badass, they are my favorite race.

dmshaposv

Man my biggest problem with Bethesda's games is that they look so good in screens, but like ass in motion.

Bethesda needs to get better animators/mo-cap people.

Look at valve for example - their engine is dated and the models are showing their age but their slick animation (and obvs good art) makes up for it.

There are basically three games coming out this year which I want to play:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Skyrim
Battlefield 3

But now, I'm facing the grim reality that my specs might not be good enough, certainly not for Battlefield 3 anyway!

Will a 3.2 GHz i3 processor, 6GB RAM and ATI HD 5670 (512 MB) be enough to handle DE:HR and Skyrim at least?

I can play most newish games on decent frame rates.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dmshaposv said:
Bethesda needs to get better animators/mo-cap people..
Animation has improved a lot. Did you see the 20 minute footage from Quakecon?

blahblah...blah said:

Skyrim
Battlefield 3

But now, I'm facing the grim reality that my specs might not be good enough, certainly not for Battlefield 3 anyway!

Will a 3.2 GHz i3 processor, 6GB RAM and ATI HD 5670 (512 MB) be enough to handle DE:HR and Skyrim at least?

Lol you are worrying me. I have an HD 4890 with 4gb of ram and I thought I was going to be okay with DE3/Skyrim on Medium/High settings. BF3 though is another story.

dmshaposv

Yoshichan said:
Animation has improved a lot. Did you see the 20 minute footage from Quakecon?

Yep, it is a step up from Oblivion (which had gorgeous backgrounds and some of the most janky/hideous animations and character models ever). Still a long ways to go to reach the animation level of its fellow RPGs. (like Mass Effect 1 or Witcher 2, for e.g.)

However, if you are pushing the tech harder to bring more detail/geometry in the game world, you need to balance that with top notch animation work. My biggest peeve with just about every Bethesda game is that I can't suspend my disbelief of being in a fantasy world because everything feels so robotic and fake. :/

Solo

The only real problems I have with Skyrim's animation are that the players still appear to be sliding instead of actually walking, and the paths people/animals follow still seem to be too rigid and unrealistic (theres a scene from the trailer where a wolf is running sort of parallel to the player and then does this completely unnatural looking 90 degree turn to run towards the player - a good example is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPF9eO5_6U @ 1:41). But otherwise I'm fine with it.

I just realised Max Von Sydow is the voice in the trailer. I hope he's featured in the full game. Reminds me of the small part he played in Conan the Barbarian.

The game really is looking good. It's going to eat up my time. Any other game coming out post 11 Nov is going to be ignored (at least for a few months)!

thefil

blahblah...blah said:

Skyrim
Battlefield 3

Hahahahahahaha.

Dude, I have a 2.8 Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM (6GB but running 32bit OS) and a 4770, and I'm not worrying in the slightest about playing the games at 1920 x 1200. There has still not been any PC release that I haven't been able to run.

As long as you're playing games that are also on the consoles, there will be some mix of settings that will allow you to run it on any hardware from the last 3 years or so. Of course, I'm kind of guessing you're a "max settings" kind of gentleman, in which case I feel sorry for your wallet.

Kikarian

blahblah...blah said:

Skyrim
Battlefield 3

It should be able to run on medium setting's, not sure about full.
I'm soon going to re-build my PC from barebones. It will hopefully be done before Skyrim's release and be able to play it's max settings.

blahblah...blah said:

Skyrim
Battlefield 3

You would have trouble because the GPU you have is a colossal piece of shit (No offense). Spring $150 bucks and get aaaaanything better than that and you will see a shit ton of performance increase. Something like these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150564

dmshaposv

The art direction of skyrim is closer to Conan/hyborian, which is something I like. Helps it give a more unique identity than Oblivion and its European-esque look.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, when you see the character models side-by-side, it's surprising to think that it's being done on the same pieces of hardware (PC excluded). Huge improvement there.

pseudocaesar said:
You would have trouble because the GPU you have is a colossal piece of shit (No offense). Spring $150 bucks and get aaaaanything better than that and you will see a shit ton of performance increase. Something like these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150564

...and now I am forced to drop the bombshell: I play games on a Windows 7 partition on my iMac :(

This means that I can't really upgrade any components other than RAM / HDD, so I'm stuck with this GPU. By the sound of things (the other responses I got...), I should be fine with DE:HR, and probably Skyrim on medium, which is a relief.

Drazgul

Ookami-kun said:
Um, the old games are rated M too and they don't have gore.

No, Morrowind is T and Oblivion was originally T too before its own little hot coffee incident.

I do recall reading something about decapitations in like jan/feb this year, but that might've been speculation - one would think such a feature would've at least warranted a mention in the latest batch of previews and released footage.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
disappeared said:
We lived in somewhat simpler times back when Oblivion first dropped.

No we didn't. Oblivion has always been ugly as shit. Never has a game been more artistically disappointing. Don't care how good your textures are... or how much geometry is on screen. It can't erase bad art. And then factor in the laughable animation, level/loot scaling, voice work, and complete absence of radiant AI. That was Oblivion. A huge pile of generic shit.

Top Bottom