• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim on PS3: The Last Stand / Update: Digital Foundry investigates

What the hell... I cant download patch 2.03. Everytime I start the download, it just resets and brings me back to the ps3 home screen.

Anyone else getting this?

Edit: This is a US PS3, US account, but playing in India.

Anyone know why this is happening, and if there are any workarounds? I'd really like to play!

It is a firmware bug.. When the prompt for the patch comes on the screen, just wait 60 seconds. And then hit X.

Oh. Well I doubt many people would know that!

Also, Massa you are a goddam genius man... It downloaded on my EU account! I'm gonna read up, apparently there are certain things I have to do isnt it? Create a new manual save, restart ps3 etc... Lets hope nothing else bad happens.

RPGCrazied

so, patch out, is it safe to buy the game yet? I'll probably wait for the GOTY edition for a much cheaper price and all the addons.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ugh, I hope I'm not getting my hopes up about actually buying and playing the game. PS3 is my only option right now.

I thought I read yesterday on GAF that there wasn't enough ram.

Atruvius

Some guy at the official forums said that the stuttering has returned. If I were you I'd wait a while before buying PS3 version.

RPGCrazied

Some guy at the official forums said that the stuttering has returned. If I were you I'd wait a while before buying PS3 version.

Wow. I guess the lesson is, don't buy Bestheda products on the PS3. How did Oblivion play? I actually played that on a 360, but now am 360less.

Atruvius

Wow. I guess the lesson is, don't buy Bestheda products on the PS3. How did Oblivion play? I actually played that on a 360, but now am 360less.
Oblivion doesn't have Skyrim-like stuttering issues. Only issue is GotY versions bugged vampirism cure ques. It was a good port. "Funny" thing is that Bethesda didn't port Oblivion's PS3 version.

So I'm about 30 or so hours in and visited Riften for the first time and I noticed it stutters a bit while walking around town. I'll fast travel to several other places but there's no stuttering to be found. It's the first case of it I've seen since I've been playing the game. It's not as serious as it was for a lot of other people but it's definitely noticeable. Have any of you had any town specific lag/stuttering?

Diablos

Sooo... released in November, not even fully playable on PS3 until mid-February, but in some cases still not working for people? Pathetic.

Anyone who can prove purchase of the game should get some kind of refund. This is beyond epic fail. The game clearly wasn't ready for PS3.

Fallout 3, New Vegas, and now Skyrim. You can only blame the PS3's architecture for so long, you know. Figure out how to program for the fucking console or don't put games on it.

Skullkid

So I'm about 30 or so hours in and visited Riften for the first time and I noticed it stutters a bit while walking around town. I'll fast travel to several other places but there's no stuttering to be found. It's the first case of it I've seen since I've been playing the game. It's not as serious as it was for a lot of other people but it's definitely noticeable. Have any of you had any town specific lag/stuttering?

Before the 1.4 patch (after about 80 hours of play time) I would have to quit and restart the game every 1-2 hours because the lag got so bad. After the 1.4 patch I played for another 25 hours and the game-breaking lag is gone, but it still stutters often in towns and in certain outside areas. It seems to stutter when it's "loading" an enemy to appear or a quote by an NPC. I'm not sure if the game is like this if you start from scratch with 1.4. Some areas of the game are also just naturally 20-25 fps.

I should note that I played the game pretty carefully - auto saves off, sold back items I didn't need, no NPCs killed on purpose, etc.

I was really happy with the patch at first, but that was just because I was glad to be able to play the game again. If the game shipped like this on 11/11/11 I would still be a bit disappointed, especially since it appears to run so well on the 360.

Before the 1.4 patch (after about 80 hours of play time) I would have to quit and restart the game every 1-2 hours because the lag got so bad. After the 1.4 patch I played for another 25 hours and the game-breaking lag is gone, but it still stutters often in towns and in certain outside areas. It seems to stutter when it's "loading" an enemy to appear or a quote by an NPC. I'm not sure if the game is like this if you start from scratch with 1.4. Some areas of the game are also just naturally 20-25 fps.

Even on my PC, which the game usually runs at a steady 60 fps, Riften dips into the upper 30s.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Besides the occasional stutter in a town or when lots of stuff is going on, everything works fine for me, I've left Skyrim running all day on my PS3 multiple times and I haven't noticed any degradation in playability.

But then I had a save of 160 hours+ level 50+ before this patch and the game was running fine just slightly less smooth in certain areas, autosave on, picking up and messing with anything and everything.

I didn't play it back last year before they tried to fix it with 2.00 so don't know what it was like after certain amounts of time, but I've been able to Platinum it without any issues and play easily 300+ hours across a couple characters and the worst glitch I had was a Dragon not giving up its soul.

Veezy

que?
Why wasn't FO3 or NV ever fixed for the ps3?

I'm sure this is going to sound quite snarky, but it's because the games are, well, "finished."

The amount of backlash from Skyrim was much more vocal, IMHO, than NV or FO3's backlash was from the initial launch. Due to that, and due to the fact that the NV and FO3 issues truly rear their heads when you add the DLC, by the time that people playing the PS3 saw the problem with the fallouts, nobody was working on developing the game anymore.

So, from an honest to god business perspective, why would Obsidian or Bethesda try to patch and fix games they already sold and aren't trying to push content for? Skyrim still has DLC waiting in the wings, fans throwing a fit about the problem a few days in, and the gaming press (lol) asking questions. That's not good for the 10 to 15 dollar digital crap they need to push to you in the future. If your game doesn't work, you won't buy their shit. Now that you can play past a hundred hours though, hows another twenty for cool ten dollars? Eh? Huh? It only took us three months! You should be grateful!!

My only, and truly pointless hope, is that people who purchase the FONV: GOTY edition have a terrible experience, throw a fit, and possibly that game gets fixed. Honestly though, not likely.

BHK3

Banned
I'm sure this is going to sound quite snarky, but it's because the games are, well, "finished."

The amount of backlash from Skyrim was much more vocal, IMHO, than NV or FO3's backlash was from the initial launch. Due to that, and due to the fact that the NV and FO3 issues truly rear their heads when you add the DLC, by the time that people playing the PS3 saw the problem with the fallouts, nobody was working on developing the game anymore.

So, from an honest to god business perspective, why would Obsidian or Bethesda try to patch and fix games they already sold and aren't trying to push content for? Skyrim still has DLC waiting in the wings, fans throwing a fit about the problem a few days in, and the gaming press (lol) asking questions. That's not good for the 10 to 15 dollar digital crap they need to push to you in the future. If your game doesn't work, you won't buy their shit. Now that you can play past a hundred hours though, hows another twenty for cool ten dollars? Eh? Huh? It only took us three months! You should be grateful!!

My only, and truly pointless hope, is that people who purchase the FONV: GOTY edition have a terrible experience, throw a fit, and possibly that game gets fixed. Honestly though, not likely.
Every problem skyrim has I experienced in much worse form when I bought the two games close to launch. Guess my luck just sucks then.

I can not understand for the life of me how in the world Bethesda still not managed to fix the severe framerate issues and freezing, even after the 1.4 patch got released. The official Skyrim forum is again being flooded by angry threads that mention the framerate problems are still present and have not gone away. Are they really that incompetent or do they just not give a fuck?

Loudninja

Yasae

Banned
Good to hear. The DF video leaves a great first impression for me.

It's hard to forgive Bethesda's lack of oversight, however.

It is. The real test is when they start rolling DLC again and if it breaks the game ...kinda hesistant to buy and might just wait for a GoTY edition ....awfully long time to wait to play though =/

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Ideally they will learn form this and make sure it doesn't happen again, but with next-gen on the horizon hopefully new consoles will release before they shove another game out the door, one that hopefully wont have the same problems.

Top Bottom