• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Special Edition's All-New Survival Mode Coming Soon (not free)

Business people.
Yup, lots of PS4s out there and lots of people playing Skyrim in them who are going to get this.

A month in and we're in the worst case scenario for this whole business, Bethesda spewing the most inane and minute stuff at exorbitant prices with Pete Hines and the rest of the PR department strong-holding beyond their "mini DLC!/official support!/QA tested!" mantra pretty much negating any prospect of this system changing any time soon.

Not concerned right now but this is already a storm brewing for the next TES/Fallout entries.

Survival mode made Fallout 4 fun to play imo but no way I'd pay for it.

My kid bought a backpack from the creation club and a pip boy skin with some money he had saved up and he stopped playing because he felt dumb lol.

For that mode to be fun to play, the mod needs to redesign the game to work with these new features.

If it's simply deactivating fast travel and slapping some new survival meters onto existing systems, then that shit will not be good.

Seeing as Bethesda isn't blocking mod support or anything stupid like that, is there anything really wrong with this? People can still use the preexisting mods if they prefer.

Melon Husk

"Survival mode"? These features were in Oblivion and Morrowind.

I'm not gonna support Bethesda's mod storefront, but I'll gladly download this for free.

lazygecko

This will be nice if it has an interface included + less script demanding than Frostfall + iNeed + Campfire. I'll give it a shot since I can acquire it for free. This really should be a free patch though.

If it's more deeply integrated into the engine and not as script-intensive as the mods, then that would be the main incentive for getting it. Frostfall is unfortunately a mod I choose to sacrifice from my load order to make room for a different set of scripted mods. Stacking lots of mods that operate mainly on active scripts is one of the main culprits behind an unstable game so you have to pick and choose.

timewyrm

Seeing as Bethesda isn't blocking mod support or anything stupid like that, is there anything really wrong with this? People can still use the preexisting mods if they prefer.

This is what puzzles me too. Bethesda are still allowing free mods to be created and shared aren't they ? If so, then isn't this basically like optional micro transactions?

Also, what's to stop somebody making a similar free version of any half decent paid mod?

Edit: unless the fear is that the next iterations of games will only have paid mods?

Melon Husk

Sleeping to level up was the only feature in Morrowind and Oblivion. There was no hypothermia or basic needs in those games.

Carry weight was lower, and there was no map fast travel. Hunger, fatigue, cold, warmth were overlooked a bit in OP so we'll see how necessary they are. It's difficult to say going by Bethesda's descriptions

Is this the first time a developer has charged us for a new difficulty mode?

Nah, I recall Capcom selling the Hard Mode for Megaman 9 as day 1 dlc. Really shitty on the Wii too since, like this creation crap, the Wii used a point system as a currency. The dlc was about 200 points and you could only get wii points in multiples of 500 ($5).

Unai

About the free week, it's free to register and I'll have it forever, or after the week I'll have to pay?

Is this the first time a developer has charged us for a new difficulty mode?

For that mode to be fun to play, the mod needs to redesign the game to work with these new features.

If it's simply deactivating fast travel and slapping some new survival meters onto existing systems, then that shit will not be good.

You'd be surprised how fun Skyrim can be with no fast travel. People have being doing this for years.

Nail meet hammer.

This shit is absolutely, positively not compatible with the design of the game. The map is clearly made so you would navigate to a location once and only once.

Seriously, think about this for a second. Quests regularly have you trek across large portions of the map multiple times to essentially be the middle-man in a conversation, or a delivery agent. They only got away with that cause of warping. Doing that on horseback, while juggling hunger / fatigue / . etc is comical.

Yup exactly. This could be a boon for a more stable modding base.

Remember this sentiment when the next Bethesda game ties the official mod tools to the Creation Club and the Nexus is being hit with cease and desist orders.

It's only a matter of time unless this is stamped out decisively in these early stages.

Van Bur3n

There are mods for this already. Free ones, at that. Bethesda continues to do a poor job in selling this Creation Club as a viable means for mods. Especially at the prices they're asking for. No difficulty mode is worth $8.

Before all of the "I already can do this for free lolol", I'm a PS4 player, and this is super exciting. I'll definitely buy it, I don't give a shit. I've been wanting this for ages, and since mods can't give it to me, I'll happily pay.

Your first mistake was playing a Bethesda game on a PlayStation. You should have learned by now after Fallout 3. As I've said in previous threads regarding the topic, you're getting ripped off. Hard. You're choosing to buy something that is available for free elsewhere. And I fear people feeding into this system will only further worsen how Bethesda will handle mods in the future.

Bizzquik

Wonder how Chesko feels about this

Free mods already give you this experience on PC and have for years this point. Probably with more flexibility as well.

So, just read into this some more

Looks like this is actually a GOOD thing. It's going to be better than all of the mods it's replacing due to it being programmed natively into the game rather than hacked into by the scripts.

The rumor is that it was actually created by Chesko himself

Yeah, Chesko has gone radio-silent for months now. Its been hinted at that he's been working with Bethesda on something with the Creation Club.

This could be fundamentally great news because it will mean survival mechanics are baked into Skyrim directly. But how well will it be implemented by free mods when the userbase will obviously be significantly split? Get this during the week its free. Then lets all find out where things go from here.

PS: I love Chesko and will happily pay for his mods in the future, just as I have supported him on Patreon. ...But there are very few mod authors that engender that degree of loyalty from me, and fewer still that I would pay money to using the Creation Club.

TannerDemoz

Ironic title for a mode that's fighting to keep the game alive for just a little bit longer.

Edit: realistically, put this on Switch and it's a double dip day 1 for me.

SoulUnison

Banned
So it's a bunch of stuff from free mods that have been available for years and are much more detailed and customizable, but now it's $15 bucks (even though it's not -really- $15, due to proprietary currency/wallet bullshit.)

Go fuck yourself, Bethesda.

Feels like a blatant attempt to cash in on how so many mods haven't yet been ported to Special Edition. We still don't even have SKSE for Special Edition, yet.

alexbull_uk

What happens when TES:VI or Fallout 5 release with this built-in from the start though?

It's not going to be very easy to convince mod authors to create free content when they could just as easily monetize the shit out of it. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against mod authors making some cash out of their hard work, but honestly it just seems totally against the spirit of modding to make it all about money which, let's be honest, is all this is for.

To be honest, I don't think the Creation Club is a bad idea in theory, but its execution is definitely lacking. Bethesda should be rounding up mod creators and give them funding to make new expansions. Imagine if the Bruma mod was given a budget and then officially added to Skyrim? It'd be great.

It's like Bethesda wants this to fail by going with the shittiest things to get people to pay for; skins and mods that already exist for free.

So it's a bunch of stuff from free mods that have been available for years and are much more detailed and customizable, but now it's $15 bucks (even though it's not -really- $15, due to proprietary currency/wallet bullshit.)

Go fuck yourself, Bethesda.

Feels like a blatant attempt to cash in on how so many mods haven't yet been ported to Special Edition. We still don't even have SKSE for Special Edition, yet.

SKSE64 is in Alpha right now, so it shouldn't be much longer until we reach mod parity with oldrim.

Melon Husk

This incremental/quantitative changes do not equate to features by themselves. The survival mode's whole is greater than the sum of its parts. To say this contents' mechanics were featured in previous Elder Scrolls games isn't at all accurate. I think there are valid reasons to criticize this mod/DLC and the creation club in general, but that's not one.

It all depends on how heavily each feature is weighted. I've listed three which can change gameplay immensely. I forgot non-regenerating HP: you had to wait hours in Morrowind to restore it completely. You cannot packrat your way through several dungeons and must make frequent trips to towns to sell your loot. Traveling time is increased tremendously if you're questing far away and hiking will form a larger chunk of gameplay.

Hunger, fatigue, cold, warmth could be completely irrelevant stats. Food is lightweight, and cold & warmth could be completely irrelevant if the needed gear is easily found and equal in protection as other types of armor. If this armor is cheap or easy to find you can just equip the one you need for each area.

This is why I laughed and laughed and laughed when anybody thought that "Paid mods 2.0" would be any different and that gating them behind a dedicated and curated storefront would do nothing but produce high quality and wide reaching stuff.

Their plan the first time and their plan now is to beat money out of you with a stick for weapon re-skins and the most basic of game changes. It's why when Bethesda's very own PR department posted here I flat out called him/her a lair when they said this wouldn't happen.

Before all of the "I already can do this for free lolol", I'm a PS4 player, and this is super exciting. I'll definitely buy it, I don't give a shit. I've been wanting this for ages, and since mods can't give it to me, I'll happily pay.

Seriously? That's the best you've got? The experience is so much better on PC that I honestly don't know what to say? The fact that you even have to justify this as a worthwhile purchase is just sad! Do you realize that whole combat, UI, quest, world, etc overhaul mods have been made for this game since it came out almost six years ago?

Honestly, console only players should just shut the fuck up! If you haven't experienced what the community has produced from Morrowind to Skyrim then I don't think you have anything constructive to add. What we have here is Bethesda attempting to eradicate free mods for Elder Scrolls games. Mark my words, they will eventually force people to buy some sort of Creation Kit so that the game can be properly modded rather than providing it for free. They will also force you to use their shitty mod store so that they can take a cut of the profits.

Top Bottom