• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slain - A homage to gory hack-&-slash games of the 80's & 90's (Out now on PS4)

Mr_D_

Banned
Nick from Wolf Brew Games here!

We unlocked all the tiers now. Just wanted to make sure we had the correct value for everyone. The early bird 10$ is staying (35 left) but every other tier is unlocked now! Thanks for feedback from everyone, sorry about lack of clarity.

Sounds like people are keen on the Vita version too.... what sort of tiers are interesting with Vita? Just Vita.... Vita/PC etc?

V2AoDOy.gif

We unlocked all the tiers now. Just wanted to make sure we had the correct value for everyone. The early bird 10$ is staying (35 left) but every other tier is unlocked now! Thanks for feedback from everyone, sorry about lack of clarity.

Sounds like people are keen on the Vita version too.... what sort of tiers are interesting with Vita? Just Vita.... Vita/PC etc?

V2AoDOy.gif
Welcome to the thread and to GAF and good luck with the campaign! It's already off to a great start

V2AoDOy.gif

That gif hits all the right buttons, reminds me of pagan black metal album cover paintings. Awesome looking game!

This looks great but I wish the graphics were a bit better. So sick of pixel art! I can see the artist/s have gret skill but for some reason they are sticking to this archaic style when they could just bump the resolution up a little bit and have it looking more modern.

Because of this I will pass.

Arttemis

Well I asked about combat and weapons in the comments and the reply was:

So who knows? Kind of implies that there might be more weapons revealed later

Wish they just change the sword for a whip ...

The kickstarter page alludes to some depth in the combat system. Evidently there's a 5 different types of attacks, including a decapitate swing that hardly does any damage unless the enemy is a 1-hit away from death, at which point it will behead the enemy and return mana. There's also magic spells that look straight out of the best side scrolling action games, with promises of a bunch more not even shown.

But yeah, a whip would be badass, too!

This looks great but I wish the graphics were a bit better. So sick of pixel art! I can see the artist/s have gret skill but for some reason they are sticking to this archaic style when they could just bump the resolution up a little bit and have it looking more modern.

dog_residentevil4.gif

Not sure if it addresses your point, but the devs rebuilt the game in Unity, while the original version was made in Construct. Here's one of the early screenshots, compared to the current game

AwShucks

Glad somebody posted this so I didn't have to do the work. I love the look of it and have high hopes for the gameplay, even though it looks a bit slower than I'd prefer.

KissVibes

Banned
If this makes it to the Vita, will you also include Vita TV support?

Also: Congratulations on doing something inspired by older eras visually while not making it look like cheap, pandering bullshit.

Whoa, this is cool. I don't know if it's still in the game, but it's from the devlog, posted last year. It's a short video showing off one of your special abilities
http://youtu.be/CfC-tJEwJIE

Oh snap, that's awesome! Now I see the Altered Beast reference better. :)

V2AoDOy.gif

My initial reaction to this game. Praise be the metal gods. :)

Xb2FAmd.gif

I just realized I've seen some of the older screenshots before, maybe even on GAF or probably TIGSource. There's one thing that's bugging me though. The graphics look pretty great, but in every screenshot and gif I've seen so far (except for the ones from older versions), the images have been ununiformly stretched, meaning that the resized pixels are of varying dimensions which can look pretty bad. I honestly don't know if this is just quick resizing for the purposes of the Kickstarter page, I'm certainly not saying you guys don't know what you're doing, but I would hate to see such nice pixel art graphics be hampered by something technical like that. Another thing that stands out a little is mixing hand-drawn pixel art sprites with pre-rendered (but looks like maybe drawn over?) ones (the player character, harpy/succubus lady thing and the dual-wielding overlord for example). They actually look pretty great but I'm just wondering if some of them are maybe work in progress.

Another kind of related thing that would be really nice to add is an optional CRT or scanlines video mode/filter of some sort, IMO it could add an even more interesting and nostalgic look to your game. (screen's obviously from older versions)

In any case, I'm all for gore, metal and ungodly transmutations, so I'm very happy this game exists. :)

I like these games, but I'm tired of every single one thinking it has to be brutally hard.
This.

Sorry, guys, brutal difficulty usually isn't good gameplay - mainly because most games are incapable of getting the balance right. The exceptions are the ones that can, but those are so fucking rare.

This.

Sorry, guys, brutal difficulty usually isn't good gameplay - mainly because most games are incapable of getting the balance right. The exceptions are the ones that can, but those are so fucking rare.
Idk. Challenging games with good gameplay: Volgarr, Risk of Rain, Catacomb Kids, Shovel Knight, Xenonauts, Cloudberry Kingdom, FTL...
And those are just Kickstarted games

Plus the hands-on previews of the pre-alpha were all pretty positive about the gameplay and combat. Here's a good one from November:
http://indiegamemag.com/slain-preview-bloody-gore-soaked-pixels/

NoirVisage, you'll like the sound of this:
Keeping with the rest of the game’s style, your attacks all have catastrophic effects on the bodies of your enemies. I literally had a pile of heads lying around me from monsters I’d killed within the first few minutes. They fall to chopped pieces, explode with gore, and generally die in horrible ways when you’re done with them.

Mr_D_

Banned
for PC it impacts nothing at all. We will just release console platforms a little later... the time implications are reasonable, we know that (3-6 months est) But until we get stuck into the port we can't be sure exactly how much time each platform will take.... The only thing that *may* affect PC ship date is if/how many stretch goals are hit...but likelihood is we will ship PC version in May and then push some 'Kickstarter Stretch goal updates' out over the next few months. Stretch goals should be released by mid next week.

~Kinggi~

Banned
for PC it impacts nothing at all. We will just release console platforms a little later... the time implications are reasonable, we know that (3-6 months est) But until we get stuck into the port we can't be sure exactly how much time each platform will take.... The only thing that *may* affect PC ship date is if/how many stretch goals are hit...but likelihood is we will ship PC version in May and then push some 'Kickstarter Stretch goal updates' out over the next few months. Stretch goals should be released by mid next week.

Edit: Nevermind. Asked a stupid question, you answered it in the 2nd half of your post lol. Your game looks great though.

Glad to see a post for this on GAF. I was literally the first backer when it went up. Can't wait. :) also cool to see the ps versions announced.

Top Bottom