• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slain - A homage to gory hack-&-slash games of the 80's & 90's (Out now on PS4)

From the comments, seems like Wii U and 3DS versions will be part of the stretch goals

Also here's the list of release dates for confirmed platforms:

PC, Mac, Linux: approx. May 2015
Xbox One: approx. September 2015
PS Vita: approx. September 2015
PS4: approx. December 2015

Fantastic art design. If the "brutal difficulty" is fair in the same way Volgarr the Viking was, then I'll be enjoying this a bunch.
I'm all for difficulty but that game fucking broke me :(

Oniken however is a much better example in my eyes... And coordinated hands.

After playing Turtles in Time last night I have to agree with the idea to speed up the attack and movement speed by maybe a tenth or so, just a little faster. Nothing beats that instant swing/button press reactivity.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn i missed the Myth/Psygnosis/Metal/Amiga/Euro-esque aesthetics so much... I hope more games take this route.
D1 on Vita.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is the first time I've been wholly impressed by a retro visual style in quite a long while.

jpax

It reminds me of the awesome art piece of a 2D Dark Souls.

Edit: Found it!
1jiMwOI.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really hope this gets enough funding to deliver more types of enemies and areas, cause those are the two things that make games like this really cool. Plus solid game design of course.

No Love

Banned
A friend of mine is one of the developers and I promise you guys, I begged him to bring it to Vita. So happy to see that this is coming to a lot of platforms where it'll be appreciated.

Mr_D_

Banned
Hi chaps, I just posted this to the Kickstarter page so thought I'd copy it here too, hope its interesting to you.

Hey everyone Andrew here, aka Mrawolf....

I just wanted to talk a little about how Slain! and I came to be.I have been making games for years. I made my first game, which was just a bunch of text strings, on a ZX81 when I was eleven years old. Even though we had no internet connection, as there was no internet, I managed to fool my parents into thinking I had hacked into their bank account and was transferring thousands of pounds into the account. Then, a message came up saying I was being traced and the police were on their way. My parents flipped, and I thought it was great fun! From that point, I knew I wanted to make games.

At that time, computer magazines contained pages of code that you could type in to make your own games. I would buy the magazine, spend my time typing thousands of lines of code into my Spectrum, and give them to my friends to play. Once again, great fun!

I left school when I was fifteen, and had several jobs before I managed to get my first job in the industry at Imagitek Design at the age of nineteen. We worked in an old mill house in the North of England. I became a sprite animator there putting my training in martial arts to good use and learning all I could about games, art, and life. It was an invaluable experience.

I quit working in the mainstream games industry about four years ago. The industry, to me, had become stale. At that point, I was making assets from other peoples’ concepts for other peoples’ games. I was essentially, a 3D printer producing game-ready art. I missed small, effective teams, where I got to design, build, and animate my own creations. And I was tired of being told, “Andrew, I think this is a little bit dark, can you make it more...um cute?” About two years ago, I started designing Slain! which was then called The Seven Towers. I wanted to make a dark, Gothic, side-scroller using pixel art influenced by the music of Metal. I had made many games back in the day using pixel art and I wanted to do all the things I could not do back then using today’s tools and Fxs in an old-school looking game.

So, I set off on my adventure into indie game development. I spent many days alone in my room cranking out art to the sounds of Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Anathema, Iced Earth, Entombed, Bathory, and Satyricon, to mention a few. After about a year of work, Slain! was starting to gain some interest from the right people. It seemed others were also in to dark games, Metal and pixels. So my direction changed a bit, to not only make the game for me but for others who shared my love for these things.

Of course, I could not do this alone and finding people willing to leave their cushy industry jobs to work with a wild-card developer was difficult. I would show all my friends my work on Slain!, and ask for help with the code side of things, or the business side of things, so I could focus on the art and game. Then one day my good friend, Asa Dang, gets back to me and offers to help! Shortly after, he left his awesome job at Rockstar to work full-time at Wolfbrew, bringing with him years of coding experience and an unusual tolerance for my personality. Around the same time, I was approached by Nick Alfieri from Digerati with an E-mail that said something like, “I want to have sex with your game.” This was the final piece, Nick bought his business development and marketing skills to Wolfbrew, allowing us to focus on making the game.

We are now running a Kickstarter campaign to fund Slain! for a few more months and test out the market to see what the gamers think of Slain! I hope you that gave you a little insight to the origins of Slain! and we hope to see you all in the Slain! community soon. Thx

Nick here now! I also posted this on our blog last night, please have a look through it...it should give a little bit of an explanation on why our tiers are as they are! http://www.wolfbrewgames.com/slain/kickstarter-update/

fallout

Hi chaps, I just posted this to the Kickstarter page so thought I'd copy it here too, hope its interesting to you.
Neat stuff. Always fun to read about people with similar backgrounds. I remember typing programs from magazines into a TRS-80 when I was like, 10 years old or so.

Incidentally, I was pointed to this thread via the GAF Metal Thread. It's a (mostly) friendly metal community and I've found it to be a good source of listening suggestions over the years.

New info on defense
There is a blocking system in the game that we have not really talked about much  but it plays a big part in combat. It kinda works as a mana shield so Damage is removed from mana first instead of HP.
block2.gif

And more info on the game's gore and combat
As far as combat gore goes  there will be plenty, each monster will have different deaths for decaps so some wont be decaps, like for bigger monsters you will split their guts open and stuff, the different weapon elements will cause different deaths like the flame sword burning things to ash and so on. but as i have mentioned before, i think the way you kill things and get killed in these types of games is paramount

11k! So close now

Devs said in the comments that they'll revealing the stretch goals on Monday or Tuesday

And here's some cool Slain artwork:
HIw69GL.jpg

No Love

Banned
One of the devs came in to my work yesterday and we talked a lot about the game. I can't wait to beta test the Vita version. We're in for a real treat.

New info on combat
Q: Will different weapons have different attacks or do weapons share the same attacks but with modifiers (burning, freezing, etc.)?
A: [Weapons] all have different attacks and combos to them. Some are better for some things, some are worse, and yes to modifiers.

And currently less than $300 to go till reaching the funding goal!

sfried

I just messaged the guys about a possible WiiU/3DS stretch goal about a month back:
Q
Feb 28, 2015:
Any chance of a WiiU/3DS stretch goal?

Wolf Brew Games
Feb 28, 2015:

You know what, there just might be!

Top Bottom