• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slain - A homage to gory hack-&-slash games of the 80's & 90's (Out now on PS4)

how come it comes to PS4 so late?

well its not that late i guess, better than never.

What do you mean? Isn't it coming out with the other consoles?

The PC version was essentially complete before the kickstarter; the money raised was meant to help the devs take a few months to polish up the game and make it feature-complete. It was already coming to X1; they also used the KS to gauge interest in other platforms. all of these extra platforms need to be ported, hence the extra months tacked on.

Mr_D_

Banned
Hopefully a few of managed to drop in to the stream on Friday guys. The sound messed up with our recording so we will be doing another stream this Friday night,a tiny bit earlier!

www.twitch.tv/mrawolf

PbWyJZl.png

Hopefully a few of managed to drop in to the stream on Friday guys. The sound messed up with our recording so we will be doing another stream this Friday night,a tiny bit earlier!

www.twitch.tv/mrawolf

PbWyJZl.png

Thanks again, man for bringing this to Wii U!!! I just about creamed my shorts when I saw the Nintendo Direct and a half-second clip of SLAIN on April 1st!!!!

Pretty f'ng geeked about it!!!

~Epimetheus~

Neo Member
Wasn't aware of this game until now. I'm sold regardless. Now to decide between PS4 and the Wii U... maybe I'll just have to grab it on both.

I missed the Kickstarter on this, but I love the look of it and I'm definitely on board when it launches on Vita. Love the art style and the '80s grunge metal artwork.

SuomiDude

Hadn't heard of this before, but looks pretty damn cool. Kind of remind me of Castlevanias. Will keep an eye on the Wii U version.

Man. Slain shows the detail you can achieve with pixel art while still maintaining that sense of texture and grit. Between Slain and Rain World I'm seeing things I've never seen done before.

Weetrick

Dae think the title is a not so subtle homage to this bamf?

Slaine.jpeg

I got excited when I read the title of this thread thinking there was finally a Slaine game being made. Somebody should make one. Oh well, this game looks really good still.

Wait this is coming out this month? Sweet!

AsfaeksBR

Wow, this looks amazing.
The only "downside" of the trailer was the lack of sound effects, but they'll probably come later in development.
Will definately check it out!

New screenshots!

Shoreinslame6.gif
skelly_spawner.gif

flying_witch.gif

Wolftower1.png

It looks good but I just can't get past the non-uniform pixel sizes and stretching, it's all over the place. There are also some some effects that look out of place, like those spiral particles in the third screenshot that are seemingly the only filtered sprites among the rest of the pixel art graphics. I'm still loving what this game is going for but man, that sort of stuff really seems to bother me in this case.

I got excited when I read the title of this thread thinking there was finally a Slaine game being made. Somebody should make one. Oh well, this game looks really good still.

Wait this is coming out this month? Sweet!

Their homepage says July 2015 (PC) and WiiU, Xbox One, PS4 and Vita in October. Btw, there's a Slaine game for the old 8-bit home computers, a pretty weird and unique title. But yeah, I agree, I'd love to see a new one.

zJXbjIT.png

biteren

What do you mean? Isn't it coming out with the other consoles?

The PC version was essentially complete before the kickstarter; the money raised was meant to help the devs take a few months to polish up the game and make it feature-complete. It was already coming to X1; they also used the KS to gauge interest in other platforms. all of these extra platforms need to be ported, hence the extra months tacked on.

the PS4 version was a later stretch goal?

jaosobno

Too bad this isn't coming to 3DS. Doesn't look like something that the handheld couldn't handle and the market is 50+ million users big.

Would look wonderful on that small screen (thinking of Shovel Knight). I'd buy it day 1.

Bluefoot

Banned
Man, this looks awesome.

Do you guys not hook up your PC or Laptop to your TV?

This is coming out this month on PC and Mac. Consoles not needed. Amazing time for indie games, particularly on Steam.

Also, there is a game, on PC that is like this, Volgarr the Viking. I hope it is not that hard. Some of these games go too far with the brutal difficulty.

Man, this looks awesome.

Do you guys not hook up your PC or Laptop to your TV?

This is coming out this month on PC and Mac. Consoles not needed. Amazing time for indie games, particularly on Steam.

Also, there is a game, on PC that is like this, Volgarr the Viking. I hope it is not that hard. Some of these games go too far with the brutal difficulty.

They changed the date to July for PC

Dr. Buni

Looks better than Koji Igarashi project.
I like the looks of this better than the Bloodstained concept arts.

That said, we don't know how Koji Igarashi's project will actually look like and the Bloodstained protagonist >>>> this game's protagonist

I did not realize that his project already released screens from a present build...
Well one is Gothic pixel art and the other only has concept art that doesn't exactly match the tone of his older games (IMO at least, I playing Symphony of the Night for the first time)...

Well one is Gothic pixel art and the other only has concept art that doesn't exactly match the tone of his older games (IMO at least, I playing Symphony of the Night for the first time)...

concept art is the key here. But I understand your point

SoTN is awesome and if I'm not mistaken actually has polygons. SOmething about the PS1 not handling 2d well. I have to check on that

but the PSP castlevania was 2.5D and looked great

SoTN is awesome and if I'm not mistaken actually has polygons. SOmething about the PS1 not handling 2d well. I have to check on that

but the PSP castlevania was 2.5D and looked great
Pretty sure the save point (rotating coffin object) was polygonal. And some of the magic effects? An excuse to replay it regardless.

Pixel art on modern hardware looks nuts.
Personally my favorite examples of modern pixel art are The Last Night and Rain World
Rain World has procedurally generated animations and stuff like water refraction and soft body physics; while The Last Night has an awesome cyberpunk atmosphere and tons of little details

Top Bottom