• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleater-Kinney announces reunion tour, new album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvie_3

Banned
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6289151/sleater-kinney-album-reunion-tour

It's official: the Sleater-Kinney reunion we started daring to hope for on Friday is really, seriously happening. The announcement is paired with the October 21 box set Start Together and the brand new song that arrived over the weekend, "Bury Our Friends." The 10-track album, No Cities to Love, will arrive January 20, 2015 on Sub Pop Records.

A 13-date North American tour will kick off in February in Spokane, Wash., followed by eight shows in Europe. Before we get into any more exciting details, check out the weirdo lyric video for "Bury Our Friends," featuring director/author Miranda July in a mask that might work well in a horror movie.

No Cities to Love will hit exactly four years after Carrie Brownstein started cultivating her crossover fame alongside Fred Armisen on IFC's Portlandia, which has its fifth season coming next year. The album was recorded in early 2014, with former S-K producer John Goodmanson at the helm. "We sound possessed on these songs, willing it all -- the entire weight of the band and what it means to us -- back into existence," Brownstein says in a press release.

SleaterKinney_NoCities_2400-e1413599062867.jpg

No Cities to Love
1. Price Tag
2. Fangless
3. Surface Envy
4. No Cities to Love
5. A New Wave
6. No Anthems
7. Gimme Love
8. Bury Our Friends
9. Hey Darling
10. Fade

Tour Dates:

02/08/15 Spokane, WA @ Knitting Factory – Spokane
02/09/15 Boise, ID @ Knitting Factory – Boise
02/10/15 Salt Lake City, UT @ The Depot
02/12/15 Denver, CO @ Ogden Theater
02/13/15 Omaha, NE @ Slowdown
02/14/15 Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
02/15/15 Milwaukee, WI @ Turner Hall
02/17/15 Chicago, IL @ Riviera
02/22/15 Boston, MA @ House of Blues
02/24/15 Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
02/26/15 New York, NY @ Terminal 5
02/28/15 Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
03/01/15 Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE
03/18/15 Berlin, Germany @ Postbahnhof
03/19/15 Amsterdam, The Netherlands @ Paradiso
03/20/15 Paris, France @ Cigale
03/21/15 Antwerp, Belgium @ Trix
03/23/15 London, UK @ Roundhouse
03/24/15 Manchester, UK @ Albert Hall
03/25/15 Glasgow, UK @ O2 ABC
03/26/15 Dublin, Ireland @ Vicar Street

Persona7

Banned
FUCK YES

I knew something was going on when their entire catalog reverted to sub pop and they remastered everything.

HOLY SHIT, their first date is where I live!

I may just go on principle alone and cause Portlandia/Carrie <3

Guess I'll catch up on their music...

Quadratic

Wow. They were one of my favourite bands in the late 90's early 00's. Too bad they aren't planning any dates for Canada.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Buying tickets for the Minneapolis show for my wife & I. So excited. Valentine's Day at my favorite venue ever to see a band I like a lot who is one of my wife's favorites ever? Couldn't be more perfect.

Marvie_3

Banned
Buying tickets for the Minneapolis show for my wife & I. So excited. Valentine's Day at my favorite venue ever to see a band I like a lot who is one of my wife's favorites ever? Couldn't be more perfect.

There's a decent chance I'll be at that show too. :D

I'll be there myself, probably alone, but hey, Carrie Brownstein was always my first love anyway.

C4Lukins

I wanna buy this even though I don't have a record player.

The limited edition of 3000 copies is sold out. It has a book, all of their albums with colored vinyl. It has an additional single which is the first single from the new album. Autographs from the band, no idea if they are printed or real sigs. A hard cover book. Their entire catalogue is also included digitally with PDF shit if you are happy with just looking at the contents. They are also releasing a cd collection.

It is sold out, but because of demand they are doing a second print, but without the colored vinyl, and maybe no autographs. Hard to say. I wish they were hitting up Texas. I have seen them live a few times, but only as openers for Pearl Jam. Would love to see them at a small venue.

Davey Cakes

I'm really excited for the album and concert. One of the few music-related events that I actually care about.

For some reason this band just really resonates with me. Love their music, even though most other Riot Grrrl and post-punk type music is really hit and miss with me.

I enjoy Carrie's work with Wild Flag and Portlandia, and Corin's band has put out some solid material (particularly the album Kill My Blues).

All that said, I'm actually new to S-K, only actually getting into them two years ago. Doesn't mean I'm not thrilled to see a reunion nearly 10 years after the last album though.

C4Lukins

I'm really excited for the album and concert. One of the few music-related events that I actually care about.

For some reason this band just really resonates with me. Love their music, even though most other Riot Grrrl and post-punk type music is really hit and miss with me.

I enjoy Carrie's work with Wild Flag and Portlandia, and Corin's band has put out some solid material (particularly the album Kill My Blues).

All that said, I'm actually new to S-K, only actually getting into them two years ago. Doesn't mean I'm not thrilled to see a reunion nearly 10 years after the last album though.

Have you hit up all of their records, and if so could you rank them.

Davey Cakes

Have you hit up all of their records, and if so could you rank them.
The Hot Rock > One Beat = The Woods > All Hands on the Bad One > Dig Me Out > Call the Doctor = Sleater-Kinney

I'm probably a bad fan. I like All Hands (which is their safest album, probably) more than their earliest work which is the real underground stuff. I'm just not big on the earlier material.

The Hot Rock is just a real grower, though. Gets better and better as you listen to it. The perfect bridge from the 90's into the 00's. Carrie has some of her best guitar work there, too.

The Hot Rock > One Beat = The Woods > All Hands on the Bad One > Dig Me Out > Call the Doctor = Sleater-Kinney

I'm probably a bad fan. I like All Hands (which is their safest album, probably) more than their earliest work which is the real underground stuff. I'm just not big on the earlier material.

The Hot Rock is just a real grower, though. Gets better and better as you listen to it. The perfect bridge from the 90's into the 00's. Carrie has some of her best guitar work there, too.

I think Carrie once said she took a lot of inspiration from Tom Verlaine. Which is pretty damn awesome

I was so thrilled when I heard this news. Sleater-Kinney is great.

All of their albums are excellent, but much like Rash a few posts up, The Hot Rock is my favorite. I've listened to it a staggering amount of times.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah about 5 days ago for me. I have been slowly tracking it from Seattle. Just arrived in Fort Worth Texas about 4 hours ago.

i accidentally deleted a few emails the other day, I am pretty sure one was my tracking number and I can't see it anywhere else. lol. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow? that would be a cool surprise.

I was so thrilled when I heard this news. Sleater-Kinney is great.

All of their albums are excellent, but much like Rash a few posts up, The Hot Rock is my favorite. I've listened to it a staggering amount of times.

the first thing I am going to do when I receive my package is listen to the remastered version of "the end of you" on the hot rock. i think it is my favorite sleater-kinney song.

Davey Cakes

Missed the Boston presale apparently. Wasn't there right at 9am.

Maybe more spots will open up?

Otherwise I'll just have to wait for Saturday.

So excited for this, I didn't really get into them until after the break up.

Can't decide my favourite album from Dig, Woods or Hot Rock, love them.

Glad Carrie's back on the guitar, because SK's music is wonderful but Portlandia doesn't really do it for me.

No date in Portland? Seems weird.

The band will probably get a lot of extra attention due to Carrie's work on Portlandia, strange that they're not gigging there.

balohna

They've stated more dates are coming soon, I would assume Portland and Seattle are probably included.

Hoping for Vancouver too, but if need be I'll cross into the US.

I'm super excited to have them back. I feel like I can trust them to not just make a "Hey remember us? We're back!" comeback album, and actually release something uniquely worthwhile. Bury Our Friends is a good start - it doesn't really sound like anything else in their catalogue, but it still sounds like them and I'm digging it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom