• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Coming to XBO/PS4 on 10/14/14

Neiteio

This game is known for its focus on melee combat and environmental kills, and rightfully so, but I'd say the gunplay is awesome, rare though it may be. When you leap out from behind cover and go into slow-motion, firing your gun midair, you really feel like you're destroying your targets. Like shit, that guy is wasted. It's all the sweeter since shootouts only occur every so often. Keeping the focus on melee and making gunplay a treat keeps this game fresh.

It's the only open-world game I've completed 100%. The world may not be as vast as Los Santos in GTAV, but it still feels huge and real and alive. Little details, like being able to purchase food and drink from various vendors along the street, and a dedicated walk button for strolling among the populace, go a long way toward immersing you in the world. The game is downright gorgeous on so many occasions, whether it's seeing tenets on the 10th floor of an apartment leaning out their windows beating their towels, or the sheen of city streets slick with rain and lit up by the neon glow of so many storefronts.

The story is fantastic, too. I always wanted to see what happened next. Wei Shen is such an interesting character since the whole time you're wondering if he'll stay true to his mission as an undercover cop or if he'll side with the triads he infiltrated and to whom he feels increasing sympathy. And while you come to identify with the triads in one way, they're still horrifying people in so many other ways, so in that respect the game pulled off the rather remarkable feat of humanizing monsters without justifying their monstrous acts. A lot of intrigue in this plot. Definitely one of the better videogame stories.

Gold Member
2014 Chinese Year of the Remaster!

I loved it but I have the PC version already. If they actually remaster it I'll get it, otherwise I'll likely pass.

MormaPope

Banned
How far will remastering go? 2011? 2010? 2009?

Cuz the best remastering or possibly remake material is from 2001, 2002, and 2004. GTA Legacy HD collection, new assets, textures, revamped shooting.

semiconscious

Gold Member
all i can say is, by the time i own a ps4 (spring '05?), & am thinking about replaying an oldie, this'll be a very good option :) . great candidate for remastering...

Cloudy

Banned
I'm really glad more people will get the opportunity to experience this gem but it should be $50 or even $40. Still there on Day 1 though :D

It's the only open-world game I've completed 100%

fixed

Jeez, it feels like by the time I get a ps4, I'll be able to try out remasters of every game that I couldn't make time for last gen for bomba prices.

I don't mean that I expect this to sell like crap, I just mean in the sense that the majority of games wind up 20 dollars within a year.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
All of these remasters are making me giddy.

I want RDR, Unchated series, Vanquish, Bayonettaa(PS4), Dragons Crown, FF12, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Mass Effect, and Borderlands.

If spread out over a few years I would buy every single one of these bad boys. The mere thought of Demon/dark souls/uncharted/vanquish in 1080p 60fps makes me drool!

give-it-to-me.gif

Jachaos

I want Tokyo Dreams/Triad Wars so much, I'll buy this game again. It was one of my favourites from 2012. I want it more than GTA V Next-Gen. Obviously, I feel 60$ is pretty steep, but if it means it gets a vast amount of improvements, awesome!

vypek

Trophies and achievements dont stack, right? Im assuming Tomb Raider: DE didnt stack on the earlier release

Vitacat

All of these remasters are making me giddy.

I want RDR, Unchated series, Vanquish, Bayonettaa(PS4), Dragons Crown, FF12, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Mass Effect, and Borderlands.

If spread out over a few years I would buy every single one of these bad boys. The mere thought of Demon/dark souls/uncharted/vanquish in 1080p 60fps makes me drool!

give-it-to-me.gif

OMG, I would buy the hell out of a Vanquish Remastered on PS4. Love that game and have yet to finish it.

Loved this game, it's so much fun to play. I'm saving the DLC for later this year come Halloween time. Going to play through both then.

Amir0x

Banned
I'll buy this when it's $40. I never played the DLC (since I basically never purchase DLC ever) so that'd be nice.

Certinty

Absolutely loved this game and it's no doubt in my top 10 all time list.

But I just can't pay full price for this, as good as the game was there wasn't much replay value in it for me. Maybe once this drops to around £20 I'll bite.

D-Stubbs

$60? I quite enjoyed Sleeping Dogs but I don't know if I'm willing to throw that much down on a game I've already 100% completed. However maybe this shows Square Enix has faith in the series and maybe we'll be getting a sequel soon. I would get that day one.

mileS

This game is known for its focus on melee combat and environmental kills, and rightfully so, but I'd say the gunplay is awesome, rare though it may be. When you leap out from behind cover and go into slow-motion, firing your gun midair, you really feel like you're destroying your targets. Like shit, that guy is wasted. It's all the sweeter since shootouts only occur every so often. Keeping the focus on melee and making gunplay a treat keeps this game fresh.

It's the only open-world game I've completed 100%. The world may not be as vast as Los Santos in GTAV, but it still feels huge and real and alive. Little details, like being able to purchase food and drink from various vendors along the street, and a dedicated walk button for strolling among the populace, go a long way toward immersing you in the world. The game is downright gorgeous on so many occasions, whether it's seeing tenets on the 10th floor of an apartment leaning out their windows beating their towels, or the sheen of city streets slick with rain and lit up by the neon glow of so many storefronts.

The story is fantastic, too. I always wanted to see what happened next. Wei Shen is such an interesting character since the whole time you're wondering if he'll stay true to his mission as an undercover cop or if he'll side with the triads he infiltrated and to whom he feels increasing sympathy. And while you come to identify with the triads in one way, they're still horrifying people in so many other ways, so in that respect the game pulled off the rather remarkable feat of humanizing monsters without justifying their monstrous acts. A lot of intrigue in this plot. Definitely one of the better videogame stories.

You pretty much summed up how I felt about the game perfectly. Had a blast with this on PC with the texture mod. My PC is a bit older so I would get 40-60 fps with most of the settings cranked besides a few things. Way better than the old console version I'm sure but I would gladly re-buy this for a stable 60 fps (which I assume won't be a problem considering the PC port ran well on fairly old machines)

Erdrick

I bought the game upon release on the PS3 back in 2012, but never got around to playing it until last summer. I absolutely loved it. One of the few open world games that I played through all of it, and had a blast exploring the world within.

I'll buy the PS4 version for sure. I was just thinking of replaying it, I guess I can wait a little longer. Just make it look even nicer for current hardware, is pretty much my only wish out of this.

Loved it on 360/PC. Will grab this at $40 if I'm bored or will wait for $20ish. Hopefully it's 1080/60 otherwise I'll feel a little silly for grabbing it when I already have the PC version.

Can't believe it's taken this long to come out though, should have had it ready to go by Q2 at worst. Terrible timing.

Top Bottom