• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Lgndryhr

No screen protector and no scratches. I commented before I thought I saw a scratch and was wrong. Wiped the screen some more after my post and it was gone completely so probably was just a smudge of some kind.

Koppai

I just sent my dock in, I did the penny test and it got stuck pretty quick. Nintendo answered quickly and said if the screen is scratched that it is covered under the warranty.

alf717

Did the penny thing and it got tight near the top but after taking a look with the Switch in the dock even with my Orzly glass screen protector I've got a small gap between it and the plastic slide.

RomanceDawn

I regularly go from TV to handheld mode almost every day since the Switch was released and I haven't gotten a single scratch yet. No screen protectors either.

I wonder what it is thats happening with some people?

I forgot to report back but my Switch dock sock came in, and so did my Orzly tempered glass screen protector. Thought the sock + protector combo would make it too tight to slide in and out, but nope, no problems. Screen is completely protected now.

Yousefb

No scratches here but I'm noticing that there is a gap at the seams around the volume controls. Don't know if that was always there or not. Anyone experiencing the same issues?

baconcow

Could anyone without any scratches try looking at their Switch with a light shining directly on it? It may help show scratches that are otherwise difficult to see.

TheJoRu

Could anyone without any scratches try looking at their Switch with a light shining directly on it? It may help show scratches that are otherwise difficult to see.

Yup. No actually, don't do this. I thought my Switch was free of scratches because I couldn't see any in normal light, but then I shone a bright light on it the other day and there's a whole slew of tiny scratches on the right bezel I can't make disappear. I think about it more than I should. Ignorance truly is bliss.

I don't have a bent dock or Switch, and since I've been aware of the scratching situation I've been extremely careful when (un)docking. Too bad.

Ecto311

And what does this do? Unless you are playing in sunlight with a glare so strong you can't see the game what is there to gain? I have no scratches that get in the way of playing but in hyper inspection of it the entire thing looks like it was deployed to Afghanistan.

f@luS

More than a member.
Yup. No actually, don't do this. I thought my Switch was free of scratches because I couldn't see any in normal light, but then I shone a bright light on it the other day and there's a whole slew of tiny scratches on the right bezel I can't make disappear. I think about it more than I should. Ignorance truly is bliss.

I don't have a bent dock or Switch, and since I've been aware of the scratching situation I've been extremely careful when (un)docking. Too bad.

same for me until today , didnt notice anything until i had my iphone in hand (flashlight) looking at some tv cable, take the switch to download puyo and so plenty of mini scratch

damn

tsundoku

So like where did all of the images in this thread come from and why is the title written as a certainty, inevitable, and a bald-faced lie and not written as a possibility or written ambiguously?

Like this channel is really stupid but look what they fucking do to the switch:
https://youtu.be/qG4ihWOEtpA?t=150

Also I've had mine since launch and my screen protector I ordered after reading this bs got lost in the mail but my switch is still pristine here? Am I just using my nintendos wrong here? I still have a launch 3ds which has no screen scratches either..

So like where did all of the images in this thread come from and why is the title written as a certainty, inevitable, and a bald-faced lie and not written as a possibility or written ambiguously?

Like this channel is really stupid but look what they fucking do to the switch:
https://youtu.be/qG4ihWOEtpA?t=150

Also I've had mine since launch and my screen protector I ordered after reading this bs got lost in the mail but my switch is still pristine here? Am I just using my nintendos wrong here? I still have a launch 3ds which has no screen scratches either..

I think some got bent docks, so the screen was in contact with the dock's plastic. That's what caused the scratches. perhaps some docks also had small plastic defects on the inside hat hurt the screen.

Once again it sucks for those who had this problem, but in retrospect the over reaction here about the switch launch was incredible.

I just got a Switch the day before yesterday. The dock is bent inward. I applied an Amfilm screen protector before docking for the first time just to embed safe. It makes contact with the console all the way down; it's a tight fit but the Amfilm is protecting it.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have a support email address, only a way to email on an existing repair or something. Is that right? I want to ask them about it.

tsundoku

I just got a Switch the day before yesterday. The dock is bent inward. I applied an Amfilm screen protector before docking for the first time just to embed safe. It makes contact with the console all the way down; it's a tight fit but the Amfilm is protecting it.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have a support email address, only a way to email on an existing repair or something. Is that right? I want to ask them about it.

They're really good on the phone if you've got a legit problem like a bent dock

Caelestis

It was fine for me until I put on orzly screen protector. Now when I put in it gets kinda tight and you can see the marks on the sides that erase off. Not sure if better to just go without it.

MoogleMan

Put a glass screen protector on your switch; the scratches will disappear.

sirap

It was fine for me until I put on orzly screen protector. Now when I put in it gets kinda tight and you can see the marks on the sides that erase off. Not sure if better to just go without it.

Those marks are harmless, they happen on both of my switches with or without protectors.

Sapiens

I went without a screen cover for the first month and I never got one scratch. It leads me to believe that a small number of people are just ramming it in there without any care.

I put a glass protector on it since as it has become a portable after Zelda was finished and I move it around a lot - plastic will still scratch eventually.

I'm at the point now where it's been nearly two months and I feel Nintendo really knocked it out of the park and the reports of damage are exaggerated.

eXistor

Got a witch at launch. Have docked/undocked multiple times a day. No scratches.

Am I just lucky?

Maybe? I'm sure the scratches are a real thing. I mean you're rubbing the Switch against hard plastic, so there's bound to be some troubles there. That said, the Switch we use at work has already seen some heavy abuse: the dock is tucked away under the counter and we show it to customers all the time and I just kinda blindly shove the Switch back in the dock, sometimes sliding it all over the place untill it sticks. No scratches whatsoever, also no screen protection.

It's still a massive oversight for Nintendo to not have some padding there.

zigg

Is the penny test enough to have a scratch free Switch?
Mine doesn't pass the penny test—there's slight grip on the penny at the top—and I've been going since launch with just electrical tape on the rails (cheap "just in case"), no protector, and no scratches.

Maybe? I'm sure the scratches are a real thing. I mean you're rubbing the Switch against hard plastic, so there's bound to be some troubles there. That said, the Switch we use at work has already seen some heavy abuse: the dock is tucked away under the counter and we show it to customers all the time and I just kinda blindly shove the Switch back in the dock, sometimes sliding it all over the place untill it sticks. No scratches whatsoever, also no screen protection.

It's still a massive oversight for Nintendo to not have some padding there.

Padding would probably have made it more likely to cause scratches over time, as the padding would get dust and other particles trapped in there which could cause scratches.. There's really no reason a normal non-warped dock should be causing scratches at all, and it seems by people's responses in this thread that normal non-warped docks do not cause any scratches.

So I wouldn't say it's a massive oversight, especially when there have been so few cases of warped docks and screen scratches to begin with.

Memnoch

I forgot to report back but my Switch dock sock came in, and so did my Orzly tempered glass screen protector. Thought the sock + protector combo would make it too tight to slide in and out, but nope, no problems. Screen is completely protected now.
I bought the orzly tempered glass as well. I put soft velcro tabs on the inside of the dock as well and it works like a charm.

I've got some scratches, only on the left-hand side. Not really noticeable during use.

As long as they're not damaging the portion of the surface that's actually used for display (which doesn't seem likely with normal use), I'm not sure I really care.

I do plan to replace/upgrade my Switch at some point anyway (especially if Nintendo introduces a cloud saves service), at which point this one might end up living permanently in a dock somewhere in my house.

+1 here.

I'm still not sure how it's even possible for the dock to scratch it unless your dock is warped.

I think some are experiencing scratches and others are scuffs. Mine doesn't seem like it could possibly scratch but it gets scuffs on nearly every enter and exit. They can be buff out with minimal effort but they're annoying nonetheless. I now use a protective sleeve

Zakalwe

Banned
I looked at a pre-owned Switch before I bought a new one, and it had scuff marks on the bottom left. I asked them to call another local store to see if they had any more pre-owned, they had one more that had the same marks. I know many of you say it doesn't happen unless you're rough with it, but it really shouldn't happen at all.

I bought a glass protector to be safe as I might sell this on after I finish Zelda.

Bahorel

I think some are experiencing scratches and others are scuffs. Mine doesn't seem like it could possibly scratch but it gets scuffs on nearly every enter and exit. They can be buff out with minimal effort but they're annoying nonetheless. I now use a protective sleeve

Can you possibly give a link to the sleeve you're using?

Can you possibly give a link to the sleeve you're using?

It's nothing special, just one of many you can find by looking up Switch sleeve on Etsy. Just look at some customer review or pick a pattern you like (I'm pretty sure they're all of similar quality). The one I got was actually a little thinner than I was expecting which may be good depending on the situation with your dock.

Big N diehard defenders on this forum defend the dock up and down but the quality control just wasn't there. Mine clearly has more open space on one side than the other, so with the sleeve on, I have to apply a little more pressure than I'd like on the right slide to get it to slide in (verified it was the dock and not the sleeve).

It's a neat concept with the problems to iron out (and shouldn't command such a steep price until those *significant problems are solved IMO)

ibscpy

Neo Member
It's nothing special, just one of many you can find by looking up Switch sleeve on Etsy. Just look at some customer review or pick a pattern you like (I'm pretty sure they're all of similar quality). The one I got was actually a little thinner than I was expecting which may be good depending on the situation with your dock.

Big N diehard defenders on this forum defend the dock up and down but the quality control just wasn't there. Mine clearly has more open space on one side than the other, so with the sleeve on, I have to apply a little more pressure than I'd like on the right slide to get it to slide in (verified it was the dock and not the sleeve).

It's a neat concept with the problems to iron out (and shouldn't command such a steep price until those *significant problems are solved IMO)

I actually just used the screen cleaning cloth that came with it and i drape it over the front of the dock. Works perfect and is an easy solution

Screen update. Still no scratches. I drop mine into the dock every night to charge and take it out the next day to play before bed. Not using a screen protector or anything.

I dock my Switch every night and undock it every morning. I'm not aggressive with it, but I certainly don't baby it either. Screen protector applied but not signs of damage after over two months now.

ToD_

I had a bent dock, which would actually squeeze the switch when attempting to dock. Using some SNES cartridges, some applied heat (heat gun) and about 48 hours of leaving the cartridges in, I was able to straighten the dock. This was done about a month and a half ago and it's still fine, so I think it's in good shape (literally). In addition, I applied the amFilm screen protector. With the protector and the straightened dock I no longer have any concerns about scratching the screen anymore.

Arttemis

I got a small scratch on my screen from the dock during the ten days or so between buying the Switch and my screen protector arriving. It's not a big deal now that it's protected, but I don't know why anyone would want to risk using it without one.

The whole situation makes me hate how joycons don't have a charging plug. I only play in docked mode, and the only reason I had to constantly take the device out of the dock was to charge them. I have a Pro Controller, now, so I'll only use the joycons for multiplayer games, and I'll eventually get a power dock for them.

Li Kao

Having secured a Switch for tomorrow, I'm a little unclear about this. I have bought a Big Ben tempered glass screen protector, will it avoid the issue or can the tablet be scratched outside of the cover zone ?

Firebrand

As I'd have to order overseas with shipping costs I ended up docking my Switch for Mario Kart 8. There's plenty of wiggle room in mine, don't know how tight fit those bent docks are.

Been two weeks of inserting and removing it a few times daily, and so far not a single scuffmark visible under bright light. Might get a screen protector eventually still.

I want to get a screen protector when I get my Switch, but I think I'd be paranoid about the back of the console too. Are scratches on the back less common? Any advice?

B33

Banned
I have one scratch on the left side of my screen and a mark on my screen protector in the same place. It's from the dock. I suspect it's bent.

Top Bottom