• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My AmFilm protector came in, applied it... and I'm fucked. There are 2 smaller and one huge bubble underneath. I think my only option is to remove the protector proper, because the cardboard isn't getting these away.

Ugh, this sucks. Anyone with some good advice? I cleaned the screen with the wet and dry wipes, started pressing in the middle, then went left and right. I may have made a mistake by keeping the joycons on, should've removed those first.

No idea what to do now. Pic:

PGEYoq1.jpg

My AmFilm protector came in, applied it... and I'm fucked. There are 2 smaller and one huge bubble underneath. I think my only option is to remove the protector proper, because the cardboard isn't getting these away.

Ugh, this sucks. Anyone with some good advice? I cleaned the screen with the wet and dry wipes, started pressing in the middle, then went left and right. I may have made a mistake by keeping the joycons on, should've removed those first.

Supposed to be applied from one side to the other. Not center out.

Gamespawn

use credit card to squeegee them out.

Even large bubbles like that will eventually leak out (though it seems like you could have squeegeed them). It's only when there is a speck of dust as well that they are permanent.

Peltz

My only problem with this thread is with the blatant lying trollbait, let's-create-panic title, extrapolating from experiences gathered at March 3rd (day the Switch was launched), while meanwhile people that have slid in and out the console everyday for months are still to face any issues.

Inevitably my ass.

Otherwise it could have its value.

Glad the Switch is doing so well even after all this FUD.

Title does need a change. I have no scratches and am not using any protectors. Definitely, not all docks are affected.

I've never seen bubbles that big, I am impressed :p

When I apply screen protectors I take a cloth of sort and just press towards the edges. 100% win for me in that regard.

I recently moved my Switch (in its dock) around to clean up my desk. I don't remember putting much pressure on it, but upon sliding it off, noticed two really noticeable permanent scratches on both sides of the bezel...on my Orzly glass protector...(thank god)

Aren't they supposed to sustain harder than knife objects? I'm already on my second one. Ordered the amFilm over the weekend, hopefully they're more durable.

And that's on my second dock, replaced by Nintendo but it's still slightly bent.

antibolo

Banned
My screen protector is already getting nasty bezel scratches a few days later.

Ugh. This fucking dock!

So what's the best way to stretch out the dock? I tried jamming a book into it for a day and it did jack and shit. Still visibly bent. In fact I think it's even worse now, somehow.

Maxrunner

I got my ozrly but there's two small lines of some fabric in there. Still I won't put it on the dock until I have some of these decals.

BashNasty

Almost 3 months in and zero scratches on my switch. No screen protector either. Either Im lucky or super careful.

Same here, had the Switch since day one, no screen protector, been in and out of the dock probably a hundred times by now and no scratches at all.

I'm careful with my Switch, but not THAT careful. I continue to think that the screen scratching issues are overblown.

Solidsoul

Banned
Alright tell me what you guys think of this. 5 days with my Switch so far, I have no protector on it and I've taken it in and out probably 20 times.

Upon looking at my Switch under a bright light I have no scratches, thought it appears there are faint square like smudges that won't come off from those little square pads that are at the bottom of the inside of the dock.

Does anyone else have this? Is it something to be concerned about? They are more like smudges than scratches, but won't come off with a microfiber cloth.

urfe

I have no screen protector, and there's one little spec that looks like just dust, but is actually a very very small scratch. Assume it's not the dock, but there was an especially hard particle that got into my case?

Will be buying a screen protector.

Both my daughters switch and my switch have zero scratches from the dock. She did drop her switch on concrete and it scratched up the right joy con a little bit, but it still works fine.

Oh, and no bending either.

Vinnk

Use it every day. Zero scratches.

Is this some strange new usage of "inevitably" that I was not previously aware of?

Use it every day. Zero scratches.

Is this some strange new usage of "inevitably" that I was not previously aware of?

You are coming in way late to this thread :) Some docks apparently have the two sides of the slot tilted towards each other, so cause fears of scratching. Also the thread topic was created with a bit of hyperbole, including the fact that the screen itself isn't what would get scratched, but the bezel, based on the positions of the guide rails.

Lorcain

Alright tell me what you guys think of this. 5 days with my Switch so far, I have no protector on it and I've taken it in and out probably 20 times.

Upon looking at my Switch under a bright light I have no scratches, thought it appears there are faint square like smudges that won't come off from those little square pads that are at the bottom of the inside of the dock.

Does anyone else have this? Is it something to be concerned about? They are more like smudges than scratches, but won't come off with a microfiber cloth.
Nothing to be concerned about. Both of my Switches get those smudges from the bottom of the docks. I just cleaned mine off today with lens wipes. I just apply a little bit of pressure (not much) and the smudges clean right off.

I've had both my Switches since launch day with 0 scratches anywhere from the docks. I agree that this thread title is a little sensational at this point.

antibolo

Banned
Why do I even bother posting in this thread.

It's annoying enough to have this problem, being constantly told that I'm making this up just makes it even more infuriating.

RootCause

Why do I even bother posting in this thread.

It's annoying enough to have this problem, being constantly told that I'm making this up just makes it even more infuriating.
Have you tried contacting Nintendo for a dock replacement?

Personally, I bought a female to male usb c cable, and plug it outside of the dock.

You are coming in way late to this thread :) Some docks apparently have the two sides of the slot tilted towards each other, so cause fears of scratching. Also the thread topic was created with a bit of hyperbole, including the fact that the screen itself isn't what would get scratched, but the bezel, based on the positions of the guide rails.

But why does the thread title still say inevitably?

We've had two since launch with no bent docks and no scratches.

Just got a new Switch. Dock is bent as bent can be. It looks like it's leaning in.

Will try to stretch out a bit, but this is dumb. A damn cradle would have been fine.

zenspider

Same here, had the Switch since day one, no screen protector, been in and out of the dock probably a hundred times by now and no scratches at all.

I'm careful with my Switch, but not THAT careful. I continue to think that the screen scratching issues are overblown.

Same. Screen protectors are for sailors.

Pretty sure there was manufacturing defect with a small percent of docks, but yeah - the kid gloves have been of for months now and nothing even close to a mark. I even get cat hair and dust caught in the dock and nothing. Waiting on that inevitability.

tmespe

My switch has a bunch of scratches from the dock. Have undocked it maybe 10 times total, very carefully. The local distributor didn't even acknowledge the problem. Theyre super shitty, and actually said "it's only natural". Time to get a screen protector, I guess.

Edit: Adding a picture

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My Switch does now have the smudges from the dock at the bottom corners. Haven't tried wiping them off, so not sure if they're permanent or not. Doesn't really bother me much though, as it's not on the actual screen, only the bezel. My dock is a "good" one, it's basically completely straight and lets the Switch slide in and out with no resistance.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My switch has a bunch of scratches from the dock. Have undocked it maybe 10 times total, very carefully. The local distributor didn't even acknowledge the problem. Theyre super shitty, and actually said "it's only natural". Time to get a screen protector, I guess.

Edit: Adding a picture

I was getting similar scratches. Only noticeable in the right light, but I took that as a warning to get a screen protector. Best to do it now before you get some on the screen proper.

They should just release an open dock, the sides are useless anyway.

My Switch does now have the smudges from the dock at the bottom corners. Haven't tried wiping them off, so not sure if they're permanent or not. Doesn't really bother me much though, as it's not on the actual screen, only the bezel. My dock is a "good" one, it's basically completely straight and lets the Switch slide in and out with no resistance.

I guess everyone has those. They're not permanent but they take longer to wipe off than other smudges.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was getting similar scratches. Only noticeable in the right light, but I took that as a warning to get a screen protector. Best to do it now before you get some on the screen proper.

They should just release an open dock, the sides are useless anyway.

Wouldn't the Switch rather easily fall out of one of those? It's not connected tightly to the dock through the USB port or anything, it just sits on top of it. And what with this thing being meant for kids (in addition to adults), I understand why they wanted a "safe" docking solution.

After having it nearly three months (since launch), I have noticed some small scuffs on the bottom-left. I have an amFilm applied so it doesn't bother me as the scratches are only on the protector itself. I guess I should be happy I lasted this long.

bounchfx

had it since launch, but because of this thread I avoided using my dock up until ~3 weeks ago

not a single scratch yet, I use it a few times a week and my dock is angled too. really lucky

My screen protector is already getting nasty bezel scratches a few days later.

Ugh. This fucking dock!

So what's the best way to stretch out the dock? I tried jamming a book into it for a day and it did jack and shit. Still visibly bent. In fact I think it's even worse now, somehow.

Stick a book in it while you blowdry the front of the dock for a few minutes and then let it cool down. That'll straighten it right out. Worked for me!

Black_Red

Buying a switch tomorrow,

I'm geting a tempered glass protector, I should be Ok with that?, or should still buy charger to avoid using the dock?

Haines

Banned
My screen protector got two big ugly scratches on it that I assume the switch would not have gotten.

Kind of makes me want to take it off. It looks like he'll and I've never believed in this rock = scratches theory anyways.

Also my dock looked bent to my eye until I took a pic and the pic showed it was straight. Just a tip for some of you.

I'm geting a tempered glass protector, I should be Ok with that?, or should still buy charger to avoid using the dock?

Worse case scenario the tempered glass would be the only thing scratched and you could just replace it if you want, there's no need to avoid the dock if you have a tempered glass.

Finn

This thread reads like a hypochondriac's wet dream... "My dock is bent!! It's basically a 90 degree angle at this point! Maybe worse! I see scratches upon scratches appearing and I'm not even touching the Switch! I play it using a 15 foot pole and mittens! Gravity is taking hold!! This atmosphere is too much for it! Oh, the humanity!!!!!"

Speely

Banned

I have had a Switch since March 3rd and have neither a screen protector nor a case, and my Switch has no scratches. I take it everywhere and am constantly docking and undocking it.

Just one person's experience.

This thread reads like a hypochondriac's wet dream... "My dock is bent!! It's basically a 90 degree angle at this point! Maybe worse! I see scratches upon scratches appearing and I'm not even touching the Switch! I play it using a 15 foot pole and mittens! Gravity is taking hold!! This atmosphere is too much for it! Oh, the humanity!!!!!"

image.php

I had similar bubbles on mine and just let it sit. By the next morning they were smaller and I was able to push a couple out. A few hours after that they were gone completely.

So the dock has scratched my switch screen

szqq3AR.jpg

01kFXpy.jpg

I have lost the receipt though. I've contacted their customer support anyway, how neccesary is the receipt? Will they replace it for me?

So the dock has scratched my switch screen

szqq3AR.jpg

01kFXpy.jpg

I have lost the receipt though. I've contacted their customer support anyway, how necessary is the receipt? Will they replace it for me?
You are already under warranty. All that requires is the serial number. Not sure what they will cover.

Edit-They fixed 2 of my Joy-Cons that wouldn't stay locked into Switch, but they wouldn't fix a third Joy-Con that was having connection issues. Also sent a bent dock in and they sent it back in the same condition that I sent it. I did the hair dryer/book hack to make it straight. Kind of tired of dealing with Nintendo after that happened.

Top Bottom