• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

According to a post earlier in this thread, where accordingly to that site which leaked this, the new model is 1/3 lighter than the current one. That would be ~7.35lbs/3.34kg.

No_Style

hirokazu said:
Maybe it's actually still fat, just smaller area when laid horizontal - hence the overhead image. :p

That's a possibility. Which they could get away with if the new box is significantly smaller than the old one.

Edit: Then again, why wouldn't they just show both views for the hell of it if it's going to be a smaller box.

hirokazu said:
But anyway, the PStwo was stunningly smaller and looked pretty good. This thing, if real, not so much. Not at first, anyway. I'll take my glossy, chrome trimmed, (big, heavy, power-hungry) PS3 over this...

Agreed. Big & beautiful!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gofreak said:
Yeah, if my calcs were right, then the width and depth dimensions are reasonably modestly reduced.

Which would suggest height (slimness) may also be fairly modestly changed. But I have hope it'll be notably slimmer, maybe slightly more slim than the width/depth reductions suggest.
This might explain why the box shows a top down view. It looks like it is flatter thinner than the original PS3. Showing it from the side in a slightly zoomed in fashion will only look like the current model since it is retaining its "George Foreman Grill" form even though the curve is reduced.

Wollan

But anyway, the PStwo was stunningly smaller and looked pretty good. This thing, if real, not so much. Not at first, anyway.
Well, the PS2/Two didn't contain a 120GB HDD, relatively new optical disc system, HDMI, Nvidia card, hot-running 8 core CPU and whatnot. ;)
It was more or less a chip and a cd drive on a piece of plastic. :p

Very encouraging to see Wollan and gofreak all over this and not immediately dismissing it as bunk. Makes me think it could actually be happening, whereas I'd ordinarily be much, much more skeptical.

stilgar

DrXym said:
Gb/Go

Gigabyte / Gigaoctet. The French for unfathomable reasons have don't like using common computer terminology such as byte, pixel etc. even though they're universally understood and often arbitrary and have invented their own words.

Yeah, those French are :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm about to leave: I need several gallons for my new car. But before I'll have to drive for, saying... 3 miles and 5 yards! Well, It won't hurt, since I have a lot of pounds to lose !

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The back of the base is about 3cm high, I think.

1r7ll3.jpg

(Using the PS AV connection slot as a guide).

The current base is about twice that..although this doesn't necessarily tell us the whole unit will be 50% slimmer as the proportions on this one's base vs the rest may differ.

If it was closer to 50% smaller on its height though, that would be a much bigger reduction than along its other dimensions.

Zhuk

Banned
Why are people attacking those who called fake on the front page?? there is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism, in fact it is in exactly these sort of situations that I welcome it.

Even though there is some evidence here, it is far from conclusive. I still don't think that the finish on the plastic is good enough for something like a PS3, furthermore I find it strange that the S in the PS3 logo on the shell is like the PS2's, something which Sony has not done with the PS3 this generation. If Sony were to change it from 'PlayStation 3' to 'PS3', would it not be in that Spiderman style font we have seen?

Furthermore a reduction of that size would necessitate smaller components, what I would think would be a 45nm CELL and 45nm RSX built with Toshiba's fab plants and
a smaller blu-ray drive. I believe that 45nm CELL's and RSX could make their way into the PS3, but I am not so sure that a 45nm CELL or RSX would be ready yet.

I offer this as evidence from late last year:

Toshiba Corp. said at a symposium that its 40nm and 45nm process technologies are ready and that the company has moved into “pilot line” production for those fabrication processors. However, Toshiba’s main customer, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., has not yet designed 40nm or 45nm versions of its chips that are used inside Sony PlayStation 3 video game system.... The first client to adopt the new process technology is Sony, who plans to create 45nm version of PS3’s RSX graphics processing unit (GPU)..

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20081023164922_Toshiba_Initiates_Pilot_Production_of_Semiconductors_Using_40nm_Process_Tech.html

Much of the heat and power generated from the PS3 would be coming from the RSX, and I find it difficult to believe that they would be able to launch a PS3 slim if Sony had not submitted designs for 45nm chips by late last year.

I certainly believe that its possible that Sony could go PS3 slim this year or next, as its the perfect way to dig themselves out of the hole they dug themselves with the current designs inherent inability to reduce costs. But I sincerely believe that in reality it is more plausible it will be next year.

I think this is real. There is far too much peripheral details that I can see (Even before the showed the pink padded test jig) The picture is shit becuase it was taken on a mobile phone. Mobile phones are prohibited on the production floors of these factories. But you can under the right circumstances get permission.

What are the chances that this is going to be like the DSL -> DSi refresh, i.e. PSThree ends up more expensive than original PS3?

Last I checked, the yen was quite stong relative to other currencies meaning Sony aren't making as much money as they were before the recent economic crash. If that still is the case (can't be bothered to check) I doubt they'd want to cut the price of this thing.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
It'd be nice if you could transfer your data from your old ps3 to the new slim one. I dont have an external hard drive to facilitate this.

ChrisGoldstein said:
It'd be nice if you could transfer your data from your old ps3 to the new slim one. I dont have an external hard drive to facilitate this.

Any USB memory stick will do. Or SD card if you have a card reader. If you have a PSP you can connect it via USB too.

amar212

ChrisGoldstein said:

I agree, some OS feature that will allow transfer via USB.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ChrisGoldstein said:

If the HDD is accessible you could just swap them.

Other than that you'd be kind of out of luck..unless you want to manually upload your files to a file storage service on the net via the browser and then redownload them :p

No ipod or anything you could borrow to transfer stuff across?

hirokazu

Actually, I just noticed that the box says "PlayStation 3"

Officially, Sony mandates the system be called "PLAYSTATION 3" in all caps in logos and documentations, and this even holds with the recent abbreviation of the logo to just "PS3" with the "PLAYSTATION 3" text beneath it:

fbzvko.jpg

Small note, but I think that's a pretty big pointer to this being fake.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
hirokazu said:

Officially, Sony mandates the system be called "PLAYSTATION 3" in all caps in logos and documentations, and this even holds with the recent abbreviation of the logo to just "PS3" with the "PLAYSTATION 3" text beneath it:

fbzvko.jpg

I think you've cracked it dude.

fanboi

Banned
hirokazu said:

fbzvko.jpg

But since they have changed the PS3 logo as well, they might want tro try a different approach with this also.

As the PS2

stilgar

hirokazu said:

Not bad. Not bad at all (and yes, I know I will eventually be a part of the Carnival of stupids).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think if they're reverting to the PStwo style lettering (albeit slightly softer and curvier) on the PS3 logo, it's not a stretch to imagine them harmonising the full logo with all the other 'playstation' logos also (i.e. back from all-caps to just a capital P and S). Note it's the same as the PlayStation Network one which didn't adopt the all-caps approach.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did this to very subtly connect it back with previous playstations in an attempt at some positive nostalgia :p

Oni Jazar

DenogginizerOS said:

You look at this box & what is on it, and you listen to what Shane said on the last 1up podcast about how digital distribution is going to be on the forefront of E3 in a huge way, maybe this is just a PSN only system? I hope not however because as good as the PSN games are a PS3 that can't play MGS4 or Infamous or Demon Souls just isn't worth it.

Zhuk

Banned
hirokazu said:

fbzvko.jpg

If you look at the font on the case in the pics its more like the PS2 style 's', not the Spiderman style 'PS3' that you have in your image there.

It doesn't make sense they would radically and retroactively change the font styling on the PS3 back to what was on the PS2 after pushing forwards with the Spiderman font for so long.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I would buy it, when it jumps to 45nm everything and comes with a $250 price tag.

My original 60 gig is fine right now (aside from massive size).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oni Jazar said:
You look at this box & what is on it, and you listen to what Shane said on the last 1up podcast about how digital distribution is going to be on the forefront of E3 in a huge way, maybe this is just a PSN only system? I hope not however because as good as the PSN games are a PS3 that can't play MGS4 or Infamous or Demon Souls just isn't worth it.

There's a blu-ray logo on the box :p

fanboi

Banned
Zhuk said:
If you look at the font on the case in the pics its more like the PS2 style 's', not the Spiderman style 'PS3' that you have in your image there.

It doesn't make sense they would radically and retroactively change the font styling on the PS3 back to what was on the PS2 after pushing forwards with the Spiderman font for so long.

It didn't have the desired effect maybe... while PS2... you know the story with that one.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mrbob said:
It's a relaunch of the brand. The way the ps3 has struggled so far this would be a good way to do it.

So true, the best way to revitalize the PS3 image is to shrink it, redesign it, and put cheaper parts so that you can sell it for less.

It just makes sense.

Zhuk

Banned
Just a thought, has anyone got a similar picture of a current PS3 box flattened out to compare to this one? out of all this, I think the most compelling evidence is still the quality of the box, I have no doubt that it is real, but if its really a Sony PS3 slim that's another thing.

stilgar

Oni Jazar said:

It has the Bluray logo on it.

EDIT: YEAH I KNOW IM SLOW AND SO WHAT ??? WHAT ?????

hirokazu

gofreak said:
I think if they're reverting to the PStwo style lettering on the PS3 logo, it's not a stretch to imagine them harmonising the full logo with all the other 'playstation' logos also (i.e. back from all-caps to just a capital P and S).
The thing is, there is no reason to do that. It'd make more sense to make it inline with the PSP (PlayStation Portable) logo:
psp_logo.jpg

Which is exactly what they've done with their recent branding change in trailers, whilst still keeping the all caps. Again:

fbzvko.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dreamcastmaster said:
Crossrefrence with the release schedule and see if there is a big game due in September.

Uncharted 2 was at one point mooted for September, although I don't think it's a massive release sales-wise.

I wouldn't pin it down to a specific month just yet anyway.

edit - the suggested logo changes are pretty much exactly in line with that PSP branding though..though the short-form font is slightly curvier, admittedly.

DrXym

Oni Jazar said:

It has a blu ray disc logo right there on the box. And a disc slot, shown with chrome.

Sony would have to be absolutely fucking stupid to make a PS3 without a BD drive. So they save themselves $60 on the drive, and then end up spending almost as much jacking up the HDD capacity so that people (a tiny minority with sufficient bandwidth and patience) can actually download full size titles.

Aside from that it would piss off retailers who wouldn't stock a device they can't even sell games for and confuse the hell out of everybody about Sony's direction and plans for blu ray. It would be tantamount to corporate suicide.

If Sony go digital only through PSN you can bet it won't be the PS3 that gets the treatment. In theory some TVs are becoming internet aware enough to consider selling games for them and the PSP too. But PS3 games are still far too big.

Oni Jazar

gofreak said:
There's a blu-ray logo on the box :p

doh! Well that's good because I can't see a PS3 without blu-ray. If that's the case then I'm going to lean towards BS. Why would the box only promote PSN?

hirokazu said:

fbzvko.jpg

The box is probably just a mock up.

They did the same thing for TGS and I believe even E3 when they first were showing off the PS3 to the public. They created a bunch of fake boxes and stacked them up to make people salivate over them. But of course they were all empty.

There might be a mistake or two on it. Sony's art team seems to do this sometimes. Remeber the PGR4 screen shot for the PS3 marketing. Or the Valkyria Chronicles screenshot for PSP marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom