• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hcoregamer00 said:
I see nothing wrong with that since the original PS3 is a 15 pound behemoth that sounds like a rocket and accumulates internal dust like nobodies business.

Probably too much dust clogging your fans. There are so many vents on the old ps3's that you pretty much have to dust it off multiple times per day to keep it perfect. My 60gb is louder than it was when it was still new (couldn't even hear the darn thing it was so quiet), but it only turns into a rocket during a chaotic KZ2 session. Did you try vacuuming it?

Zhuk shitting up the thread as usual. Keep fighting the good fight video game warrior.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zhuk said:
I agree, at least 95% of people who are excited for the Slim on the internet already own a PS3 and are fanboys, the ones that will actually purchase another console is a far lower proportion of even those who state they will.

I think the excitement comes because the Sony fans see the Slim as the chance they have been waiting 3 long and hard years for, to correct the historical injustice of a Sony system playing 3rd chair to the Wii and 360, something which is unnatural in their eyes. Things won't be right in their eyes until the PS3 gains the public adoption and acclaim they think it should, along with justifying their beliefs in the virtues of the system as being superior to its competitors.

dot dot dot

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
H_Prestige said:
Probably too much dust clogging your fans. There are so many vents on the old ps3's that you pretty much have to dust it off multiple times per day to keep it perfect. My 60gb is louder than it was when it was still new (couldn't even hear the darn thing it was so quiet), but it only turns into a rocket during a chaotic KZ2 session. Did you try vacuuming it?

I vacuum my console once a week, it still gets quite loud.

In that respect, the PS3 slim will be a welcome change since the internal components will produce less heat, in turn they will need less vents (which allow dust to accumulate) and smaller fans to push out the heat. Which means in the big picture, it should be more reliable and a lot quieter.

Fizzle

Nah but really, people who use PlayTV would know having your PS3 on 24/7 for watching television AND playing games isn't exactly ideal for your electricity bill.

As long as it draws less power, that thing is moiine.

EDIT: I'm watching you Meus... I saw that...I saw what you did...

Tiduz

Eurogaime
lol @ ps3 owners buying 2nd console bashing

If a 360 slim comes im betting more than 50% will buy it. heck alot of people own 2 360s, dont see you bitching about that.

Meus Renaissance said:
Judging from Gaf and the Interweb, the majority are going to get a 2nd PS3 if a price drop happens. :lol Why the fuck would anyone buy more than one console for themselves. Maybe us poor are retarded or something, but it doesn't make sense. Now, if they dropped prices of software and accessories then I can understand people vacuuming the stores for multiple purchases, but a second console? That's like getting a brand new TV to sit next to your other TV

this reminds me of another thread where a guy said he wanted another ps3, and the 360 fanboys started attacking him. man that thread was gold.
people buy stuff, and they buy what they want. if they want to buy 2,10,20,100 ps3's, what's wrong with that? does that make them retarded? silly? no it doesn't. does that make them fanboys? no it doesn't.

edit: oh nice, the n4g troll arrived

kazuma_pt said:
this reminds me of another thread where a guy said he wanted another ps3, and the 360 fanboys started attacking him. man that thread was gold.
people buy stuff, and they buy what they want. if they want to buy 20 ps3's, what's wrong with that? does that make them retarded? silly? no it doesn't. does that make them fanboys? no it doesn't.

edit: oh nice, the n4g troll arrived
Yes it does make them retarded. Quite retarded.

JoJo13

Banned
Zhuk said:
I agree, at least 95% of people who are excited for the Slim on the internet already own a PS3 and are fanboys, the ones that will actually purchase another console is a far lower proportion of even those who state they will.

I think the excitement comes because the Sony fans see the Slim as the chance they have been waiting 3 long and hard years for, to correct the historical injustice of a Sony system playing 3rd chair to the Wii and 360, something which is unnatural in their eyes. Things won't be right in their eyes until the PS3 gains the public adoption and acclaim they think it should, along with justifying their beliefs in the virtues of the system as being superior to its competitors.

It's like Zhuk's worst nightmare. He'd have to stop his jerk-off session every time NPD rolls around.

This PS3 slim seems to have him scured.

Fizzle

Tiduz said:
lol @ ps3 owners buying 2nd console bashing

If a 360 slim comes im betting more than 50% will buy it. heck alot of people own 2 360s, dont see you bitching about that.

lol you're actually right

Hcoregamer00 said:
I vacuum my console once a week, it still gets quite loud.

In that respect, the PS3 slim will be a welcome change since the internal components will produce less heat, in turn they will need less vents (which allow dust to accumulate) and smaller fans to push out the heat. Which means in the big picture, it should be more reliable and a lot quieter.

Aren't the current models already pretty cool and quiet? I know they have way less vents so dust shouldn't be as much of an issue.

One thing I'm worried about the slim is the quality of the components. It seems Sony is going ultra cheap. The alleged insider who posted all that info on the slim a few weeks back said the BD drive in the slim was known to have issues in the past. So far he's been right about two of the things he claimed (no touch sensitive buttons, 250gb slim later on) so I'm kind of worried.

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Yes it does make them retarded. Quite retarded.

imo i don't think so. heck if a guy has money and wants to go out and buy 20 items of the same stuff, i'd say let him have it. i don't think it makes ppl retarded.
people have the right to choose what they want, no one is forcing them to buy stuff.
still, we could be here for hours discussing this :)
end of derail :)

CookieChip said:
Small vacuum.
It says it in the manual.

Small vacuum huh..what about a shop vac? :D

By small vacuum, do you mean a weak vacuum, or one that can get into the small areas, cause I can just use a smaller head attachment on my shop vac.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy a slim, either when they release or further down the line
It's like PSP owners anticipating the PSPGo, eventually they'll probably all own one, some more eager to get it than others

Chris R

Hcoregamer00 said:
I see nothing wrong with that since the original PS3 is a 15 pound behemoth that sounds like a rocket and accumulates internal dust like nobodies business.
Your PS3 might be about to die. Mine is silent and only has a little dust that I clear out with a few blows of air every other month. My 360 is much louder, not even close.

Hcoregamer00

H_Prestige said:
Aren't the current models already pretty cool and quiet? I know they have way less vents so dust shouldn't be as much of an issue.

One thing I'm worried about the slim is the quality of the components. It seems Sony is going ultra cheap. The alleged insider who posted all that info on the slim a few weeks back said the BD drive in the slim was known to have issues in the past. So far he's been right about two of the things he claimed (no touch sensitive buttons, 250gb slim later on) so I'm kind of worried.

Very true, I will have to agree with you there. My friend bought a PS3 in November that had the 65nm CPU and GPU (along with a lot of internal changes). I was shocked by two things about the console more than anything else, the first was the lack of vents and the second was the huge reduction in weight.

I am also concerned by the quality of the components, but like many things, I have no intention of being a PS3 Slim Beta Tester. I will just ride out my BC PS3 and hopefully by the time it craps out, I will be able to get a reliable PS3 slim.

Fizzle said:
They are...during winter. :lol :lol

Pretty much, the PS3 seems to get much louder during the summer season.

Crisis

Banned
Can we keep the console warz bullshit out of here?

*edit*

In regards to the components in it I am also kind of worried. Although I already had to send my PS3 in for "service" already they have held up fairly well for the most part. I know the likelihood of Sony and its manufacturers using off the shelf parts for something like a PS3 is slim to none but I was looking on Newegg for Blu-ray drives just to see how much they cost out of curiosity. I found this particular slimline BD drive. It's crazy-expensive compared to usual BD drives which are now typically well under $100 to consumers. If you read the comments the drive barely reads discs at all or you have to leave it not completely tightened to get it to read discs. :lol I know they have to cut costs but I'm hoping that product isn't an indication of what's to come.

Zhuk

Banned
JoJo13 said:
It's like Zhuk's worst nightmare. He'd have to stop his jerk-off session every time NPD rolls around.

This PS3 slim seems to have him scured.

If it makes them hit that 13 million sales target more power to them :D I still am betting they're going to fall short though :)

carlosp

Banned
Zhuk said:

I am not a shareholder of sony (yet) but you are right, i will buy a slim. I am still on my 60gig ps3 and I never ever play an ps2 games on it. Last gen i had a fat launch PS2, replaced it two years later with a newer fat, then the black slim and at the end i had a silver slim. I always sold the older model for a good price and i will do the same this as well. I will buy a slim ps3 on launch and sell me 60gig. Then i will buy another color according the end if better looking systems are available.

In my eyes the best console should win and that is without question the PS3. The 360 is a great system as well, but without the media capabilities of PS3 (yes BD included), it is just not as good. It is just too charming to watch a BD movie. I watched so many movies again, just because they were released on BD.

Lion Heart said:
Small vacuum huh..what about a shop vac? :D

By small vacuum, do you mean a weak vacuum, or one that can get into the small areas, cause I can just use a smaller head attachment on my shop vac.

Dunno I just clean it with an industrial one (but from a certain distance). But you could try a small one.

Hcoregamer00

carlosp said:
I am not a shareholder of sony (yet) but you are right, i will buy a slim. I am still on my 60gig ps3 and I never ever play an ps2 games on it. Last gen i had a fat launch PS2, replaced it two years later with a newer fat, then the black slim and at the end i had a silver slim. I always sold the older model for a good price and i will do the same this as well. I will buy a slim ps3 on launch and sell me 60gig. Then i will buy another color according the end if better looking systems are available.

In my eyes the best console should win and that is without question the PS3. The 360 is a great system as well, but without the media capabilities of PS3 (yes BD included), it is just not as good. It is just too charming to watch a BD movie. I watched so many movies again, just because they were released on BD.

I am sorry, I love the PS3, but don't feed the trolls and make the rest of us look bad.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm going to trade my phat and upgrade to a slim. My phat gets loud and it's dusty.

I'll probably wait til after the holiday season though. Make sure there is no problem w/ the slims, and I still need to backup my saves on my PS3 so I can transfer them over to the slim, and I don't even have a External Drive...

Off topic, how do you clean a PS3? I heard that vaccuuming makes static electricity.

carlosp

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I am sorry, I love the PS3, but don't feed the trolls and make the rest of us look bad.

you are right. I didnt want to blame the 360 or anything. To be honest i would already had one but i dont have enough time to play my PS3 games already, having even a 360 would mean even less time for each game.

Zhuk

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
I'm going to trade my phat and upgrade to a slim. My phat gets loud and it's dusty.

I'll probably wait til after the holiday season though. Make sure there is no problem w/ the slims, and I still need to backup my saves on my PS3 so I can transfer them over to the slim, and I don't even have a External Drive...

Off topic, how do you clean a PS3? I heard that vaccuuming makes static electricity.

Chamois cloth with a can of compressed air works well followed up with the fan test mode on the 40gb for me.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
DMeisterJ said:

i used vacuum on soft setting, no problems here, canned air actually blows more dust in it imo.

i also used Q tips for the usb ports and hdmi etc, dont feel comfortable putting a vacuum up there.

Hcoregamer00 said:
What if you use a high powered vacuum from a distance (say 3 or 4 inches)

is it really THAT bad to use a high powered vacuum on the ps3 vents? i've been doing it to mine since i got it =\ (pal launch)

DMeisterJ

Banned
Zhuk said:
Chamois cloth with a can of compressed air works well followed up with the fan test mode on the 40gb for me.
Fan test mode?

Anyway, I've had mine for 8+ months... Do I need to clean the insides or have I reached the point of no return in terms of it being loud and dusty? All I've ever really done is use a microfiber cloth a few times a month cleaning the outside and wiping off the vents.

DMeisterJ said:
Fan test mode?

Anyway, I've had mine for 8+ months... Do I need to clean the insides or have I reached the point of no return in terms of it being loud and dusty? All I've ever really done is use a microfiber cloth a few times a month cleaning the outside and wiping off the vents.
The bit where you hold one of the two touch buttons down for an amount of time and the fan kicks into overdrive. Dunno how effective that thing turned out in practice, and if I recall rightly, they took consumer access to that mode out of the later system runs.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
The bit where you hold one of the two touch buttons down for an amount of time and the fan kicks into overdrive. Dunno how effective that thing turned out in practice, and if I recall rightly, they took consumer access to that mode out of the later system runs.

It's also something that you aren't supposed to use. The fan speeding up like that is a way the system tries to prevent itself from overheating. But if you use it regularly it'll burn out your system. Sony even issued a statement about it.

kazuma_pt said:
imo i don't think so. heck if a guy has money and wants to go out and buy 20 items of the same stuff, i'd say let him have it. i don't think it makes ppl retarded.
people have the right to choose what they want, no one is forcing them to buy stuff.
still, we could be here for hours discussing this :)
end of derail :)
Just because you have the right do something doesn't mean that doing it isn't retarded.

You have the right to get 800 piercings on your face. But anyone who actually exercises that right is retarded.

Zhuk

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Fan test mode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6X1-vFYpEU&feature=related

There's some people who say its 'bad' for your PS3 but it seems unfounded i've never had an issue with it.

thuway

Zhuk said:

You live in a fanboy wet dream.

Gomu Gomu

Wow. PS3 only owners actually thinking of buying another PS3 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. While they can spend their money on another CHEAPER console and get tons of new games, they stick up to whatever fucked up fanboy shitty principals or whatever :/ .

Grow the fuck up.

Egmont

Neo Member
Hah. Looks cakefoo's mockup is really getting around the internet now that someone posted it on Amazon.

People seem to be taking this Amazon posting as a major confirmation, and most outside of GAF see the picture and think it's legit.

Not that I doubt its existence or anything, but I'd say that, considering the reliance on user-created content and the sketchily similar blu-ray releases, the Amazon thing seems one of the least credible rumors so far. I have a hard time believing that it's an "official listing" from Amazon.

Maybe it's just me.

Edit:

http://twitter.com/#search?q=ps3 slim

Some dude on twitter said:
Holy crap! The Amazon PS3 Slim page now has an image; http://tinyurl.com/kln2vk
:lol

2nd Edit:

Now Kotaku's talking about the fake picture, too! :lol :lol :lol

http://kotaku.com/5327944/

dolemite

Zhuk said:
If it makes them hit that 13 million sales target more power to them :D I still am betting they're going to fall short though :)
Actually, with a price drop, a PS3 slim, FFXIII, GT5, and God of War III all releasing this fiscal year, if they only manage to sell 13 million units then the third place will be securely Sony's.

Gomu Gomu said:
Wow. PS3 only owners actually thinking of buying another PS3 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. While they can spend their money on another CHEAPER console and get tons of new games, they stick up to whatever fucked up fanboy shitty principals or whatever :/ .

Grow the fuck up.

Or maybe they don't give a flying crap about the games on other systems and there are several different scenarios where one might want or need a second ps3? Pretty funny that it pisses you off so much.

dolemite

Egmont said:
Hah. Looks cakefoo's mockup is really getting around the internet now that someone posted it on Amazon.

People seem to be taking this Amazon posting as a major confirmation, and most outside of GAF see the picture and think it's legit.

Not that I doubt its existence or anything, but I'd say that, considering the reliance on user-created content and the sketchily similar blu-ray releases, the Amazon thing seems one of the least credible rumors so far. I have a hard time believing that it's an "official listing" from Amazon.

Maybe it's just me.

Edit:

http://twitter.com/#search?q=ps3 slim

:lol

2nd Edit:

Now Kotaku's talking about the fake picture, too! :lol :lol :lol

http://kotaku.com/5327944/
whoever created this fake pic deserves a medal:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom